Remote stops working during playback

Beyonwiz HD STB / Network Media Player.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

mclaren
On probation

Remote stops working during playback

Post by mclaren » Mon Aug 10, 2009 23:38

I am having a strange problem when I am using the media player for avi files. When I play a file the remote works correctly, then if the file automatically goes to the next file the remote becomes non responsive.

If I press stop on the player if shuts down my H1, but none of the other buttons in the player section work at all such as play, pause or fast forward. I have also noticed that if I select the power off it does not work at all.

I have the most recent firmware, the remote works if I take the batteries out and put them back in.

Has anyone had this happen to them as it happens I use the file player and it goes to the next file.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 00:13

Do you mean the "permanently spinning hourglass" syndrome? This is where for some reason if it struggles to open a file, instead of giving up, you end up with an hourglass and no way of getting out of that apart from press "power" and wait 30secs till a watchdog timer kicks in and puts the box to standby. The box is still working in the background, e.g. if it is recording something, it will still record fine, but you just lose the ability to be able to rid that silly hourglass. You can even cycle the TV-OUT still in that mode (as I guess a different priority in the "interrupt" events is handled with the TV-OUT than file playback).
I can't quite follow some of your post (e.g. about the removing the remote batteries and it works again??). Are you sure you haven't bumped the TV mode of your remote and by replacing the batteries, it goes back to PVR mode?

Some files are sufficiently poorly coded that can hang the Wiz also, so presumably you are simply discussing a "why has my wiz hung when I try and play XXX"? Why don't you try to play the offending file from the list, rather than let it transition from one file to the next to see, as transitioning works fine for me in a directory of like files. In a directory of various files I get different behaviour between each file depending on if the wiz can play that file or not, e.g. a few "unsupported format" messages, some longer load times, and finally a good playback.
Tony

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Aug 11, 2009 09:50

Hi Mclaren,

Welcome!

What you describe sounds more like you have flat batteries in the remote. Alternatively the ends of the batteries or the remote control battery contacts are dirty or contaminated. Please try some fresh new batteries and ensure that you clean the ends of the battery and the battery compartment with a soft dry cloth. Also, please remember to never touch the ends of a battery with your fingers as body oil can cause problems.

Regards,
Ian.

mclaren
On probation

Post by mclaren » Tue Aug 11, 2009 14:42

Hi guys thanks for the response, however I am not sure if what you describe is the cause. This has happened since I bought the unit only recently so I doubt it is going to be the batteries causing this issue as they are brand new.

For example I have a tv series on my hdd that i have downloaded and not recorded using the PVR, I select to watch the first episode and everything is fine with the remote I can stop pause and fast forward. However if this episode was to end and then automatically switch and start playing the next file. While the system is playing fine I cannot use the remote to pause or fast forward at all. If I had manually gone into the system instead and selected to play the file the remote works fine.

I have checked that the remote is not set to the tv option as the PVR lights up when I select a button on the remote.

Gully

Post by Gully » Tue Aug 11, 2009 15:23

mclaren wrote:Hi guys thanks for the response, however I am not sure if what you describe is the cause. This has happened since I bought the unit only recently so I doubt it is going to be the batteries causing this issue as they are brand new.
While you may be correct, just because the Wiz is new, does not mean the batteries haven't been sitting for a while.

At least by following the advice given you can confirm or rule out a potential factor.
Cheers
Gully

Return to “DP-H1”