Folders disappeared after upgrade to 1.5.301

Beyonwiz HD STB / Network Media Player.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

marksh
On probation

Folders disappeared after upgrade to 1.5.301

Post by marksh » Mon Jul 06, 2009 21:10

I've just upgraded my DP-H1from 1.5.280 to 1.5.301. The upgrade appeared to complete successfully and is fully operational, however, 90% of the previously recorded material (on the registered recording HDD) has disappeared. All of these files were stored in folders at the same path level as the 'recording' and 'contents' folders. (All files and folders were created/copied using the beyonwiz popup/copy function)

After upgrading to 1.5.301 all of these folders disappeared (no longer visible or accessible) they obviously still existed as the available space on the drive was only about 10% of full capacity! (Note: all files in the Recording folder were still present)

In order to recover the lost files, I tried plugging the drive into my linux box, mounted it successfully, found all the files, tried copying one of the folders (complete with its sub-folders and files) into the Recording folder. Plugged back into BW and the new moved folder still did not appear.

I tried Creating a Folder (in Recording) using the BW, went back to linux, copied a single recording (twiz folder with all its files) into it. Back to BW, and did not appear.

Back on the BW, I tried creating a folder at the same path level as Recording (where all the missing folders are) and the BW allowed me to do this, however, the new folder never appeared in the list, however it did exist when mounted from linux.

I have considered downgrading back to 1.5.280, copying the files/folders to somewhere (not sure where to put them so they will be accessible after the upgrade!) then re-upgrading, however I have read big warnings about Loosing files in the Recording folder itself. (and as they are the only files I still have access to, I am not yet willing to risk this unless it is the last resort!) I would copy them to a non recording HDD but there appears to be documented bugs with copying files to and from there (besides I don't have a spare 200Gb drive lying around)

So Please Somebody! how do I recover my files (make them visible/playable) on the BW.
Or what stupid thing have I done wrong!

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Jul 06, 2009 21:19

Top level folders are not supported (and never were - the ability to create these was a bug), however subfolders in Recordings are supported.

Moving files "behind the back" of the PVR software causes the metadata index to go out of date and therefore you can not see the files. The fix is simple. You've done 50% of the work by moving the folders into the Recordings subdirectory. To complete the job, go to the File Player, enter the Recordings folder and press the "soundtrack" button (bottom rightmost button on the remote). This will cause a re-index of the Recordings folder and your contents will re-appear.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

marksh
On probation

Post by marksh » Mon Jul 06, 2009 23:22

Of course 'the soundtrack button", why didn't I think of that? .... No seriously, thank you very much, I hoped it might have been that simple.

I am disappointed however that I can't have top level folders, yet another sub-folder to have to drill down to. If you can't use any of the parent folders why bother displaying them, or atleast why not auto navigate straight to the useful folders when you first select the drive.

While I'm totally off topic, it would be great if you could link (add to favourites) entire folders both from the HDD AND/OR folders from network shares. I think I'll add this to the feature request thread.

Thanks Again, much appreciated.

Return to “DP-H1”