H1 Tuner faulty or ???

Beyonwiz HD STB / Network Media Player.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

michaelp2005
Apprentice

H1 Tuner faulty or ???

Post by michaelp2005 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:56

Hi

I have an H1 in my home theatre. I've only been using it for a few months and I don't actually watch a lot of live tv in there, so this problem may or may not have been there since I installed it.

Anyway, I am basically getting digital artifacts and audio breakup on channel 9 only. (both SD and HD). I thought it was most likely an antennae issue, however, I finally got around to testing it with my P1 from the family room. I just swapped the units in/out in the HT room.

On the P1 the reception was fine. As soon as I swapped back to the H1 the reception was faulty.

So, should I be calling beyonwiz for a wty repair or could it be something else?

Thanks

Michael

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sun Mar 29, 2009 13:25

Make sure that the H1 has the latest frimware installed.

If P1 works fine using the same antenna outlet AND the same antenna cable (from wall socket to beyonwiz) then it does look like the H1 is faulty - assuming everything was the same in both tests.

Is/was anything connected to the Loop Out? (for the H1 and the P1 when it was in the HT room)

Did you use the same antenna cable? Did you try moving the antenna cable? (I've seen faulty cables that only work, or only play up, when moved to certain positions)

Have you tried a different antenna cable?

Do both the H1 and P1 have the same Frequency allocated to the problem channel? Maybe a factory reset and rescan might help.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

michaelp2005
Apprentice

Post by michaelp2005 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 17:30

Both units have the 280 f/w.

Everything was identical, I literally just swapped the boxes and there is no loop out in the HT.

I've done a rescan twice, but not a factory reset. I'll try that just in case.

I'll also double check the channel frequency on the P1.

Thanks

Michael

michaelp2005
Apprentice

sound troubles now.....

Post by michaelp2005 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 20:17

Hi

Well nothing is ever straight forward. I've done the factory reset and checked the channel frequency. The freq was different, so I've switched and so far it seems to be ok picture wise.........HOWEVER :(

the volume on all non HD stations and those without an AC3 soundtrack has become extremely low. eg SBS and channel 7 SD tonight. fyi I had to manually check and select the AC3 soundtrack on the SD stations. I didn't have to do this before.

Note there is the same problem playing recorded files ie those with DD are ok, and those without DD are low volume.

I have the audio set to pass-through, with analog disbabled, AAC and DD set to pass-through.

If I change the audio format to 5.1 or 2Ch then the volume on all channels is very low.

Can anyone help me here? It was all perfectly fine until I did the reset......

I've powered off, unplugged from the wall, but no luck.

Thanks

Frustrated :cry:

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 20:55

When you factory reset, your volume sets to 1/2 level I am guessing. Bump it back up to 46.
The volume level impacts any channel/media file that it decodes to PCM/analogue. When you set it to 2/5.1 it certainly does this for ALL.
Regards
Tony

michaelp2005
Apprentice

Post by michaelp2005 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 17:11

Tony, thanks for the tip on the volume, that worked.

Now, I'm hoping I've solved the picture problem too. After checking the channel frequencies I discovered they were different. They were Ch8 and Ch44. And it turns out that on the H1 I was getting both, so I had two channel 9's. Ch44 had a much poorer signal strength (62%) and it was defaulting to this channel ie pressing 9 on the keypad.

There were also duplicate channel 7's, but didn't have the same issue.

So, I may have fixed this by doing a partial service scan (upto Ch 30) and thereby eliminating the duplicate channel.

I'll have to keep watching over the next day or two, but I'm hopeful this was the problem.

Michael

Return to “DP-H1”