Playing recorded files on H1 from P1, especially HD channels

Beyonwiz HD STB / Network Media Player.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

michaelp2005
Apprentice

Playing recorded files on H1 from P1, especially HD channels

Post by michaelp2005 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:43

Hi

I have recently added an H1 to a second room. I have a P1 in the family room where I record tv shows. I have 4 questions related to watching the recorded shows on the H1,that I have not been able to find existing answers for in the forum.

1. Can't delete a file on the P1 from the H1. H1 screen gives you the option, but....
2. Is there anyway to display the file list in "when recorded" order as opposed to alphabetical?
3. The resume playback function doesn't work. Should it?

4. When trying to playback a Hi Def channel I get no audio and the video looks slightly jittery. This is a big one for me :(

Other info: My LAN is hardwired. Have no problem playing .mkv files from my PC on the H1. Both using 280 firmware.

Any insights greatly appreciated.

Michael

prl
Wizard God

Re: Playing recorded files on H1 from P1, especially HD chan

Post by prl » Sat Dec 27, 2008 15:44

michaelp2005 wrote:Hi

I have recently added an H1 to a second room. I have a P1 in the family room where I record tv shows. I have 4 questions related to watching the recorded shows on the H1,that I have not been able to find existing answers for in the forum.

1. Can't delete a file on the P1 from the H1. H1 screen gives you the option, but....
... the Delete menu item is greyed out (and several others). That's correct. File deletion isn't supported over a WizPnP connection.
michaelp2005 wrote: 2. Is there anyway to display the file list in "when recorded" order as opposed to alphabetical?
Yes. POPUP>Sorting Options. But your current selection has to be a recording, not a folder (that last bit's a bug).
michaelp2005 wrote: 3. The resume playback function doesn't work. Should it?
It appears to make entries in the resume marker file, but as you say, resume isn't offered when a WizPnP recording (or media file) is restarted. I've posted on the DP-S1/P1/P2 forum to ask whether this problem affects all WizPnP clients, or whether it's specific to the H1.
michaelp2005 wrote: 4. When trying to playback a Hi Def channel I get no audio and the video looks slightly jittery. This is a big one for me :(
Unfortunately, HD streaming using WizPnP only works reliably when the server is doing nothing but serving the streamed file. This can be achieved by selecting the File Player or Setup screen on the server. This may be an inherent limitation.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

michaelp2005
Apprentice

Post by michaelp2005 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 16:21

Many thanks for the info. I will try your suggestion re playing the HD file. I'm thinking a potential work around is to copy the file to my PC and then view.

I've also just noticed that FF and Rewind don't work. Is that another limitation or known bug? Skipping works just fine.

It's good to know what is and isn't a bug :?

Thanks
Michael

michaelp2005
Apprentice

Post by michaelp2005 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 18:49

Can confirm I got the HD recording to play on the H1 by putting the P1 into file play screen.

For the Pop-up> Sort order option, I could not get this to work. Under the pop-up menu it would only give me the "information" option. I could not move the cursor up to "sort order". Any suggestions?

Thx

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sat Dec 27, 2008 23:40

michaelp2005 wrote:For the Pop-up> Sort order option, I could not get this to work. Under the pop-up menu it would only give me the "information" option. I could not move the cursor up to "sort order". Any suggestions?
As peter said, you need to highlight a file (and not a folder) before pressing the popup button.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

michaelp2005
Apprentice

Post by michaelp2005 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 09:42

I was on a file. When I moved to a folder, the pop-up would not even come up. Just to confirm, I'm doing this on the H1.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:11

michaelp2005 wrote:...
For the Pop-up> Sort order option, I could not get this to work. Under the pop-up menu it would only give me the "information" option. I could not move the cursor up to "sort order". Any suggestions?

Thx
Use the LEFT and RIGHT arrow buttons to move between the columns of the menu, in exactly the same way as on other Beyonwiz models.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

michaelp2005
Apprentice

Post by michaelp2005 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:30

ok, I'm an idiot :D was only using up and down!!!!!

Thanks. This eliminates a small, but annoying WAF :lol:

Also, just as an fyi. I did copy one of the HD recordings to my PC as a .ts file. This played fine on my pc, but when I played over the network to the H1 the audio was broken up. Video seemed ok.

Trial_Master
Guru

Post by Trial_Master » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:04

prl wrote:
Unfortunately, HD streaming using WizPnP only works reliably when the server is doing nothing but serving the streamed file. This can be achieved by selecting the File Player or Setup screen on the server. This may be an inherent limitation.
Is this something that can be addressed with future firmware? My P2 does this and I'm surprised since the tuners are HD so one would think the pvr would have enough processing power to handle streaming HD content to the H1 while watching live HD on the P2.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:13

Trial_Master wrote:
prl wrote:
Is this something that can be addressed with future firmware? My P2 does this and I'm surprised since the tuners are HD so one would think the pvr would have enough processing power to handle streaming HD content to the H1 while watching live HD on the P2.
The problem is apparently due to the internal bus bandwidth on the main chip. To guarantee that the functions of the server itself are not affected by streaming operations, the Beyonwiz engineers have deliberately limited the networking throughput. I have posted a table of how activity on the Beyonwiz affects the speed at which it can deliver data to the network.

When I said "inherent limitation" I meant just that.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Trial_Master
Guru

Post by Trial_Master » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:23

prl wrote:
When I said "inherent limitation" I meant just that.
Sure, just needed to be 100%. Dam'n. We use the BW P2 - H1 streaming all the time and this has just become an issue since getting a HD TV last week.

I guess I will have to go back to recording SD content as a workaround. Seems a funny limitation as I mentioned with the unit being a HD PVR.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:55

Trial_Master wrote:...
I guess I will have to go back to recording SD content as a workaround. Seems a funny limitation as I mentioned with the unit being a HD PVR.
I never said it was good :)

If you look at the table I posted the link for, you should be able to watch HD on the P2 while streaming HD to the H1 if timeshifting is off on the P2. You may be able to still stream reliably if timeshifting is enabled on the P2, but you stay watching live (yes, I know that sounds pointless, but if you can, then at least you don't have to remember to disable timeshifting before streaming). You may also be able to stream HD while watching a HD recording on the P2 (I don't have measurements for that, but it has a similar load on the server as timeshifting enabled, but watching live). If a recording kicks in while you're watching live HD but with timeshifting enabled, the streaming is almost certainly going to suffer.

I'm not trying to say that this is satisfactory performance, just indicating the likely consequences of what I measured.

If you're willing to experiment a bit, I'd really appreciate any feedback about whether the table of network throughput really does serve as a good predictor of whether a Beyonwiz can successfully serve HD recordings. The second table in the post should give an indication of what absolute minimum network throughput is needed to serve recordings from those channels. Please post any results you have in that topic. Anyone else who has a streaming setup and who's willing to try this out, please post any results, too.

The table I've posted makes it easier to compare streaming (and WizFX copy) performance from version to version, but unfortunately, it's not clear whether it reliably answers the question "will this particular load on my Beyonwiz allow me to stream this recording?"
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Trial_Master
Guru

Post by Trial_Master » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:09

Thanks Peter. I'll have another go and report back on the outcomes.

My situation was a little different to those described. I was playing a HD mkv on P2 from my PC and the H1 was streaming a SD recording from P2. My playback and the H1's playback were both affected with staggered pictures and continued loss of audio.

The second situation was watching a HD broadcast on P2 with TS active and H1 streaming a HD recording. P2 was fine but H1 was affected with staggered pictures and continued loss of audio.

Trial_Master
Guru

Post by Trial_Master » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:16

Does WizTv impact on procesor? I wasn't using it at the times but I have active accounts on both P2 and H1.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:21

Trial_Master wrote:Thanks Peter. I'll have another go and report back on the outcomes.

My situation was a little different to those described. I was playing a HD mkv on P2 from my PC and the H1 was streaming a SD recording from P2. My playback and the H1's playback were both affected with staggered pictures and continued loss of audio.

The second situation was watching a HD broadcast on P2 with TS active and H1 streaming a HD recording. P2 was fine but H1 was affected with staggered pictures and continued loss of audio.
I'm not all that surprised by the first result. Do you happen to know what the bitrate, frame rate and resolution of the MKV file is?

The second one is disappointing. My tests show the Beyonwiz with a throughput (TS enabled but not being used) of about 18Mib/s and the highest bitrate HD broadcasts (in Canberra) being about 14Mib/s, though that's not much headroom for random variations in the server or network load.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:23

Trial_Master wrote:Does WizTv impact on procesor? I wasn't using it at the times but I have active accounts on both P2 and H1.
As far as I know, not when it's not being used. There is evidence that WizTV has a memory leak that can affect the performance of the Beyonwiz if WizTV has been used a lot since the last restart.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Trial_Master
Guru

Post by Trial_Master » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:31

On the second one I think I've confused myself :)

A HD broadcast was being watched live, TS was enabled (I've never disabled it). Sorry about the confusion.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:35

Trial_Master wrote:On the second one I think I've confused myself :)

A HD broadcast was being watched live, TS was enabled (I've never disabled it). Sorry about the confusion.
That's exactly what I took your post to mean.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Trial_Master
Guru

Post by Trial_Master » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:57

Okay good, thought I was confusing the situation. I'll try situation 2 again with TS disabled and see how that goes.

Will also check out mkv file this evening and get back to you.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Jan 20, 2009 15:40

Decoding of AVC/H.264 content (most MKVs) is very bandwidth intensive - a lot more than MPEG-2 (broadcast) decoding. MKV playback is likely to run the processor out of bandwidth pretty quickly.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Trial_Master
Guru

Post by Trial_Master » Tue Jan 20, 2009 15:58

Does using TS_Remuxer to convert to M2TS format reduce the load by much?

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Jan 20, 2009 16:12

A tiny bit. MKV container contents have to be parsed entirely in software. TS streams can be pushed through the hardware to extract the individual streams. On the other hand, MKV is simpler to extract data from.

Empirical evidence suggests that TS pushed through hardware is (at this point in time) more efficient, however since Beyonwiz have full control over the MKV code, it may be possible to optimise it such that it performs better.

Blog.

Trial_Master
Guru

Post by Trial_Master » Tue Jan 20, 2009 16:22

So looks like ts is the way to go for HD content that originates as mkv? Is that a good option or is there a more efficient format/method? I'm going to play around tonight with the H1 streaming but any advise you can offer would be appreciated.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jan 20, 2009 16:41

peteru wrote:Decoding of AVC/H.264 content (most MKVs) is very bandwidth intensive - a lot more than MPEG-2 (broadcast) decoding. MKV playback is likely to run the processor out of bandwidth pretty quickly.
I was thinking that the particular case (streaming MKV HD from PC to P2, streaming SD from P2 to H1) may have simply run into network limitations, rether than chip bus bandwidth limitations. I guess both are possible.

One useful test might be to upload the MKV to the P2 HDD, and see if it can be played on the P2 while the P2 streams SD to the H1.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Trial_Master
Guru

Post by Trial_Master » Tue Jan 20, 2009 18:04

prl wrote:One useful test might be to upload the MKV to the P2 HDD, and see if it can be played on the P2 while the P2 streams SD to the H1.
We ended up doing that and everything worked fine.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jan 20, 2009 18:21

Trial_Master wrote:
prl wrote:One useful test might be to upload the MKV to the P2 HDD, and see if it can be played on the P2 while the P2 streams SD to the H1.
We ended up doing that and everything worked fine.
Thanks. It looks as though the problem is the combined network traffic for the MKV and the SD recording. Can you find out what the bit rate of the MKV is? Or alternatively, how big is it, and what's its play time?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Trial_Master
Guru

Post by Trial_Master » Tue Jan 20, 2009 18:26

Just got in, here you go.

General #0
Complete name : E:\Torrent Downloads\Battlestar.Galactica.S04E11.720p.HDTV.x264-CTU.mkv
Format : Matroska
File size : 1.09 GiB
PlayTime : 45mn 36s
Bit rate : 3431 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2009-01-17 04:50:46
Writing application : mkvmerge v2.3.0 ('Freak U') built on Oct 7 2008 20:39:59
Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video #0
Codec : AVC
Codec/Family : AVC
Codec/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Codec profile : High@L4.1
Codec settings, CABAC : Yes
PlayTime : 45mn 33s
Bit rate : 2902 Kbps
Width : 1280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display Aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Chroma : 4:2:0
Interlacement : Progressive
Language : English

Audio #0
Codec : AC3
Bit rate mode : CBR
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Rear: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48 KHz

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Wed Jan 21, 2009 00:35

That MKV plays fine for me, directly from one of my Linux file servers, which is only a P3 @ 600MHz and serves several other machines at the same time. Playing back on a P1 connected using Cat5e cable to GigE switch.

Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jan 21, 2009 07:45

peteru wrote:That MKV plays fine for me, directly from one of my Linux file servers, which is only a P3 @ 600MHz and serves several other machines at the same time. Playing back on a P1 connected using Cat5e cable to GigE switch.
Trial_master had the problem when simultaneously streaming the MKV from a PC to his P2 and streaming an SD recording from the P2 to his H1. He later said that if he copied the MKV to the P2, he could play the MKV and stream the SD without a problem.

The problem here doesn't seem simply to be the playback of the MKV.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

crippstor
Apprentice

Post by crippstor » Sat Mar 28, 2009 20:33

My H1 will reliably play streaming HD content from the P1 whilst the P1 is actually playing another file streamed from my NAS

pauliking
Apprentice

Post by pauliking » Mon Dec 27, 2010 19:18

Hi all,

A little off the topic but in line with the subject heading. Last night I was playing a movie in the bedroom on the H1 (as I now have headphones to please the wife). Anyway, every 5 - 10 minutes the movie just stopped playing and went back to the file menu. The movie I was streaming was coming from the P1 which was recorded from live TV.

After a few restarts of the movie and finding the spot I was up to I rebooted the H1 and placed the P1 into File Player menu in case time shifting or something was causing an issue. No Joy, movie kept dropping out back to the player menu.
Paul at Upper Mount Gravatt QLD 4122
Beyonwiz P1 & H1 on 105.334 Firmware. No major issues to date.
Running all cable connections through DHCP with Windows Sharing active.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Dec 27, 2010 19:27

Hi Paul,

What are the firmware versions on each unit? (Is the DP-P1 version as per your signature?)

Regards,
Ian.

pauliking
Apprentice

Post by pauliking » Mon Dec 27, 2010 19:34

IanSav wrote:Hi Paul,

What are the firmware versions on each unit? (Is the DP-P1 version as per your signature?)

Regards,
Ian.
Oops I always forget to update the signature. Both are on 105.334 as per the address below

http://www.openwiz.org/wiki/Firmware_Versions

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Dec 27, 2010 19:44

Hi Paul,

The issues of streaming from one Beyonwiz to another with 01.05.334 are well documented on this forum (there is a known bug is the WizPNP service). Please contact Beyonwiz when they re-open next year and request a firmware update/fix that corrects the issue.

Regards,
Ian.

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 20:58

I think I've read that reverting to .320 rectifies this problem.
Others may be able to confirm or you could try searching the forum.
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Dec 27, 2010 21:17

Hi Paul55,

Reverting to the earlier firmware does resolve the WizPNP issue but returns the FTA EPG issue.

Regards,
Ian.

pauliking
Apprentice

Post by pauliking » Tue Dec 28, 2010 09:11

Thanks for the response guys. Guess I'll wait for the next firmware release. I'll see how I go with different recordings in the mean time.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Dec 29, 2010 17:52

pauliking wrote:Thanks for the response guys. Guess I'll wait for the next firmware release. I'll see how I go with different recordings in the mean time.
Note that it's a WizPnP server problem, and if you go back to an earlier version, you need to do it on the P1 in your setup, not the H1, to fix this problem.

Streaming HD between BWs is a chancy business anyway, even without the server bug.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “DP-H1”