Taping suggestions

Feedback and Suggestions for Beyonwiz can be posted here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

davids075

Taping suggestions

Post by davids075 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 05:44

Can you perhaps add a functionality where the T3 monitors the types of shows I record and then suggests/records other shows automatically like the TiVo does?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Taping suggestions

Post by MrQuade » Mon Nov 30, 2015 08:15

Ice TV offers that sort of functionality.

That sort of suggestion based functionality usually requires a payed service of some sort as there is human interaction and curation involved.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Mon Nov 30, 2015 09:44

MrQuade wrote:Ice TV offers that sort of functionality.

That sort of suggestion based functionality usually requires a payed service of some sort as there is human interaction and curation involved.
Icetv doesn't provide any suggestions based on your own personal recording behaviour. It could, using the Amazon type process ie people who recorded shows x and y also recorded show z. That could be automated.
Beyonwiz T4

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 09:56

Taping? 8)
Tezza

Beyonwiz T4, 1TB internal WD Green HDD, 4TB USB Portable HDD
Beyonwiz T4, 500GB 2.5" internal HD
LG 500w sound bar
LG 70UF770T LED LCD 4K 70" TV
LG Magic Remote

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:11

simoncasey wrote:... Icetv doesn't provide any suggestions based on your own personal recording behaviour. It could, using the Amazon type process ie people who recorded shows x and y also recorded show z. That could be automated.
They did for a while a some years ago. I think they outsourced the processing. But in any case, it was hopeless, and included in its "suggestions" things that I'd already marked to record or as favourites. :roll:

e.g. from the IceTV forum, Nov 2008:
prl on IceTV forum wrote:My Recommendations list currently contains ten entries. Of those,

The Hollowmen,
Doctor Who,
Grand Designs, and
Top Gear Australia

appear to be shows that aren't actually running. Certainly the IceTV EPG thinks not. They all return: "Not upcoming in the next 7 days" when I search for them in the Guide. Refreshing the Recommendations page in my browser doesn't change the list.

So... of my ten current recommendations, four aren't showing, and four are shows that I already know I'm interested in, because I've marked them either as Favorites or as Recordings.

And I'm still waiting to see my first Recommendation of a one-off show.
You can find more of my whinges about the then IceTV Recommendations system by searching the IceTV Forum for recommendations with user prl.

However, it would seem to be a useful direction for them to pursue if they can get it even mostly right.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:21

simoncasey wrote: Icetv doesn't provide any suggestions based on your own personal recording behaviour. It could, using the Amazon type process ie people who recorded shows x and y also recorded show z. That could be automated.
Oh, my mistake. It does do "popular" an "upcoming" suggestions though. I had assumed that it was somewhat targeted, but it is not a feature I use at all.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:30

MrQuade wrote:... It does do "popular" an "upcoming" suggestions though. I had assumed that it was somewhat targeted ...
It's not.

In fact the IceTV App's Coming Soon is telling me about Nine News Adelaide Afternoon Edition, but my IceTV region is set to ACT - Canberra. It's that much not targeted :).
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:38

prl wrote: It's not.
Hehehe, shows how much attention I pay to IceTV then! Your earlier reply about the suggestions feature was probably what I remembered from way back when. I didn't even know it had gone away!

I love Ice because the series recording mostly "just works", and then I never have to go back there unless by some miracle a new series hits FTA before I have already devoured it online ;). I take viewing recommendations from friends and work colleagues.

Return to “Feedback and Suggestions”