Beyonwiz Model and Firmware Number in profile

Feedback and Suggestions for Beyonwiz can be posted here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

juzzman
Apprentice

Beyonwiz Model and Firmware Number in profile

Post by juzzman » Mon Oct 01, 2007 18:48

Just a thought, is there any way those that run this site could change Users profile to have
beyonwiz Model & Firmware number ,so people could enter this info and it would show up under their user name

This would help all who our tying to help

If this is too hard could we just encourage people to put it in their signature under profile.
Time will tell, but only slowly

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon Oct 01, 2007 18:55

I don't believe there is anyway, so putting the model into the signature, or just encouraging people to ask questions in the most constructive way.

There is an issue with including the firmware version as those people beta testing are not meant to post information from their testing and the version number is part of that.
Cheers
Gully

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Mon Oct 01, 2007 19:03

And putting this type of info in your sig screws up the search feature. If you are searching for posts on firmware version xyz you don't want to find 100s of posts by someone with xyz in their sig (especially if all their posts are about off topic stuff).
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

juzzman
Apprentice

Post by juzzman » Mon Oct 01, 2007 20:38

Sorry never thought of that
Time will tell, but only slowly

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Mon Oct 01, 2007 20:42

No need to apologise. Putting that info in each user's profile is a good idea. Just not an easily implemented one.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Oct 01, 2007 20:53

Hi,

I think model and version numbers should be a small part of anybody's posts requiring assistance.

People need to realise that we are not mind readers and need information to help us formulate the appropriate advice to offer in answer to their questions.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Oct 01, 2007 22:35

Dave? wrote:And putting this type of info in your sig screws up the search feature. If you are searching for posts on firmware version xyz you don't want to find 100s of posts by someone with xyz in their sig (especially if all their posts are about off topic stuff).
Are you sure the sig is included in a search? I'm pretty sure it wasn't in the Topfield forum, where it was common practice to put this sort of info in the sig.

What is certain (I just tested it by adding DP-S1 to my signature), is that the signature isn't actually part of the post, it's added when you view posts. If you look at any of my posts, anytime, it will now have DP-S1 added to it.

This means that it's not much use to put firmware version numbers in the sig, since all posts will always show what you put there most recently, and older posts may look like they refer to newer firmware.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

jpp
Guru

Post by jpp » Mon Oct 01, 2007 23:09

IanSav wrote:Hi,

I think model and version numbers should be a small part of anybody's posts requiring assistance.

People need to realise that we are not mind readers and need information to help us formulate the appropriate advice to offer in answer to their questions.

Regards,
Ian.
I have just added my model number in my location box. That works and should not be effect searches. If you haven't already done so, it's a good idea to add your location to your avatar/alias to help others help you.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Iscan Duo Video Processor. Yamaha YSP-3300 Digital Sound Projector , Popcorn A500, Oppo DV-980H, Sony TV, Harmony 650 Remote

Return to “Feedback and Suggestions”