Sound glitch

Feedback and Suggestions for Beyonwiz can be posted here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Atti
Apprentice

Sound glitch

Post by Atti » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:54

Hi,

I have discovered something that needs to be addressed in a firmware upgrade.

I have a Bose lifestyle system plugged into my Beyonwiz via digital coax. When I switch back from playing a DVD, to live TV. There is no sound. I then need to switch the Bose system off and back on again to get the sound back. This also occurs when resuming play on the DVD after having stopped it.

Regards Atti

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Jun 16, 2007 16:54

No such problems with a Denon. Perhaps you need to take your Bose back to the store for a firmware upgrade?

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Atti
Apprentice

Sound glitch

Post by Atti » Sat Jun 16, 2007 19:10

Is that supposed to be funny?

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Jun 16, 2007 19:59

Did you see a smiley face?

I'm giving you a point of reference. No such troubles are evident with another manufacturer's amplifier. In fact, no one else is reporting the problem you describe.

The most likely explanation is that your Bose system is at fault. More often than not, such problems can be fixed with a firmware upgrade, which in some circumstances may require a physical component change in your receiver. Talk to your Bose dealer about this.

Blog.

Atti
Apprentice

Sound glitch

Post by Atti » Sat Jun 16, 2007 21:11

Fair enough. But, I have had the Bose for approx four years. It has been hooked up to a Pioneer DVD via digital coax. There was never any problems with it. If you stopped the Pioneer and then resumed play, the sound resumed again. However, with the Beyonwiz, resuming play does not resume sound play and the Bose needs to be turned off and on again. This also occurs when going back to "live" TV.

So therefore, seeing as I have not encountered this problem with the Pioneer. I assumed, that it might be something the Beyonwiz is doing.

How is your Denon hooked up with the Beyonwiz? Are you using digital coax? Digital optical? Or analog?

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Jun 16, 2007 22:01

I'm using optical, but it should be exactly the same with coax, since both connectors are wired into the same digital output. I can double check with coax if you want me to.

I have noticed that the DP-S1 output can switch between various modes, including AC-3, PCM and "digital zero". I noticed that my Topfield TF5000PVRt does the same, however the Xbox never seems to output "digital zero" format. Perhaps the Bose does not cope with one of the modes or a switch between them.

Blog.

jackmarshall
Master
Location: Ballarat, Victoria : DP-S1 / Yamaha HTR-5830 / Samsung PS42C7SX (576 res Plasma) component connectio

Post by jackmarshall » Sun Jul 15, 2007 21:15

I lost sound while timshifting Ugly Betty on channel seven HD. I use optical connection to a Yamaha amp. Sound restored as soon as I hit stop and went live. Tried timeshifting a few more times during the add, same problem. Later I changed the channel and timeshift was fine, even when I went back to seven??? I thought it may have been the way the show was broadcast but most of the time I was playing around in the adds while the wife passed comment about the "f*@*ing expensive piece of s*&t" probably a different problem but the sound certainly isn't foolproof. Had no issues swapping from DVD though.

ChristianWickham
Apprentice

Post by ChristianWickham » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:55

I also have a Yamaha amp (HTR-6030) with digital optical output form the Beyonwiz, again with no problems switching from DVD to recordings or live TV, even when the DVD is DTS or Dolby Digital (I tried with Gladiator). I also tried Coax and found that it was seamless with that too.

Maybe your investigation of the issue should start with what fixes the problem. If switching off your Bose amp and powering it up again resolves the sound output issue, and you don't need to touch the Beyonwiz - maybe that is proving that the problem is not with the Beyonwiz, but is with the item that you need to power off to fix?

Return to “Feedback and Suggestions”