Proud owner of two SP1 Units

Feedback and Suggestions for Beyonwiz can be posted here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

chromis
Apprentice

Proud owner of two SP1 Units

Post by chromis » Mon Sep 01, 2008 16:35

I purchased two SP1 units, 1 for home and the other for work. I know there are a few negative comments around about these units but I have found them to be very stable.

I upgraded the home unit firmware without a drama. I connected it wirelessly to a WINXP PC via a Billion wireless router. It did take a bit of messing around because I found the beyonwiz wouldn?t accept an IP number with one digit. ie 192.1.9.23. Unless of course there was a way to do this that I didnt find. I had to change the routers default IP then create an address range for connecting devices, the renew the IP of the PC to get a 3 digit ip 192.100.100.100 (for example) But the result of streaming avi files to the wiz is perfect. Depending on the file size it can take a little while to load but nothing dramatic.

I am connecting the other to a windows 2003 network.

The DVD playback is great The unit has all the functionality I need.

When transferring a recording to a PC it is a bit annoying to have the TS files in bits a pieces rather then one file. Is there a reason for this?

I don?t mind having to upgrade with firmware like some others have complained about. And I really respect that Beyonwiz is brave enough to have an open support forum where they risk public criticism . They could have closed support like other companies which would be bad.

That's it! I am in love with my Wiz

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Re: Proud owner of two SP1 Units

Post by IanSav » Mon Sep 01, 2008 16:45

Hi Chromis,

Welcome!
chromis wrote:I upgraded the home unit firmware without a drama. I connected it wirelessly to a WINXP PC via a Billion wireless router. It did take a bit of messing around because I found the beyonwiz wouldn?t accept an IP number with one digit. ie 192.1.9.23. Unless of course there was a way to do this that I didnt find. I had to change the routers default IP then create an address range for connecting devices, the renew the IP of the PC to get a 3 digit ip 192.100.100.100 (for example) But the result of streaming avi files to the wiz is perfect. Depending on the file size it can take a little while to load but nothing dramatic.
You should have (could have) entered the original IP address as 192.001.009.023. ;)

Regards,
Ian.

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Mon Sep 01, 2008 16:45

chromis wrote:I found the beyonwiz wouldn?t accept an IP number with one digit. ie 192.1.9.23
Really? Entering 192.001.009.023 should have worked......

[edit] snap!

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon Sep 01, 2008 16:51

The files are BeyonWiz's native format and I believe were chosen to maximise performance (small file sizes, etc).

It may not be exactly correct to call them TS files as they are not exactly in that format but they can be converted or saved as a single file in TS format using WizFX and some other utils people have created.
Cheers
Gully

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Sep 01, 2008 17:11

Gully wrote:The files are BeyonWiz's native format and I believe were chosen to maximise performance (small file sizes, etc).

It may not be exactly correct to call them TS files as they are not exactly in that format but they can be converted or saved as a single file in TS format using WizFX and some other utils people have created.
It's perfectly correct to call them TS files, because the process that converts a Beyonwiz collection of the 32MB recording files into a .ts file just glues the files together, taking into account any editing that has been done on the recording while it was in the Beyonwiz. If no editing was done on the Beyonwiz, then the process just concatenates the files, byte for byte. No reformatting of the files is done at all. Anyone can verify this just by looking at the WizFX source code. The header files (header.tvwiz, trunc and stat) in a Beyonwiz format recording are not TS files - they're Beyonwiz proprietary. The trunc file contains the instructions about how the files should be glued together.

As far as I can tell, there are two reasons for the relatively small file size: to avoid the limitation of the Beyonwiz's FAT32 file system that files can't be 4GiB or bigger (the recording files are much smaller than that, at 32MB); and to make some editing operations much faster than if the recordings were in a single file, but still recover most of the file space of the deleted parts of the recording.

The large cluster size (512kB) used in the Beyonwiz probably is for recording/playback performance.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

craigh
Wizard

Post by craigh » Mon Sep 01, 2008 18:00

chromis wrote:When transferring a recording to a PC it is a bit annoying to have the TS files in bits a pieces rather then one file. Is there a reason for this?
To answer this one you have the option of transferring as you described or as a single TS file.

In WizFX set it in preferences or right click the file you want and choose then.
Craig
T4 + Kodi + Foxtel IQ2 > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Panasonic Plasma
T2 + Kodi Player > Pioneer Plasma
5 x Kodi + Enigma Plugin > LCD TV's
Retired - S1, P1, P1, FLV1, H1, H1
Foxtel IQ3 > Digi-MOD RL-DM1102 - SD DTV RF Modulator > All TV's
Remotes - Pronto TSU9400's + TSU7500's

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon Sep 01, 2008 19:49

prl wrote:It's perfectly correct to call them TS files, because the process that converts a Beyonwiz collection of the 32MB recording files into a .ts file just glues the files together, taking into account any editing that has been done on the recording while it was in the Beyonwiz. If no editing was done on the Beyonwiz, then the process just concatenates the files, byte for byte. No reformatting of the files is done at all. Anyone can verify this just by looking at the WizFX source code. The header files (header.tvwiz, trunc and stat) in a Beyonwiz format recording are not TS files - they're Beyonwiz proprietary. The trunc file contains the instructions about how the files should be glued together.
ts of the recording.
I'll stand corrected then.

I knew you could concatenate them but I wasn't sure if the header was the same with the separate tvwiz header.
Cheers
Gully

chromis
Apprentice

Post by chromis » Mon Sep 01, 2008 20:10

madmax wrote:
chromis wrote:I found the beyonwiz wouldn?t accept an IP number with one digit. ie 192.1.9.23
Really? Entering 192.001.009.023 should have worked......

[edit] snap!
Yep I realised that on configuring the second Wiz.

chromis
Apprentice

Post by chromis » Mon Sep 01, 2008 20:20

craigh wrote:
chromis wrote:When transferring a recording to a PC it is a bit annoying to have the TS files in bits a pieces rather then one file. Is there a reason for this?
To answer this one you have the option of transferring as you described or as a single TS file.

In WizFX set it in preferences or right click the file you want and choose then.
Ah yes I hadnt discovered that software yet. Thanks for the tip.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Sep 02, 2008 15:30

If you really want to be pedantic, the files recorded by the Beyonwiz are Partial Transport Stream segments. They are strictly not a valid full transport stream because some PIDs have been filtered out.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Return to “Feedback and Suggestions”