t4 flash memory full, how do I delete files

Feedback and Suggestions for Beyonwiz can be posted here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

drharry2442
Apprentice

t4 flash memory full, how do I delete files

Post by drharry2442 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 13:26

my t4 is reporting that the flash memory is full.

it will not en reboot without crashing as it seems to need to write to a log file before it can reboot, any help would be greatly appreciated.
I do have a hard drive in the machine, is there any way I can get the T4 to write log file to the hard drive instead of flash memory ?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Re: t4 flash memory full, how do I delete files

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Jan 03, 2018 13:58

Did you fill up /home/root/logs?
The heavy-handed way is to reload the firmware - as that'll clear out the flash memory.
The light-handed way, if you can get to it, is to clear out the junk from /home/root/logs by using File Commander (MENU>Files / Sources), navigate to Imternal Flash, then home - root - logs and delete the log files (or clear them out using command line access in the T4).

In OpenWebif, change your log location to "/media/hdd" in Settings>Log Settings>Log location. The debug logs will then be written to /media/hdd/logs on the hard drive. Reboot for this to take effect.

drharry2442
Apprentice

Post by drharry2442 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 14:51

thanks for the help but I checked and there are no log files in that folder /home/root/logs. also I do not have openwebif and without freespace I cannot download anything. i had to install the latest firmware recently as I was getting a lot of crashes in enigma and epg. are there likely to be left over dump files somewhere in enigma from all the crashes ?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Jan 03, 2018 15:03

You will have OpenWebif - it is the web server running on the T-series that provides a web browser interface (e.g. from your computer) to the PVR.
It sounds like you didn't have debug logging enabled then - as you can only enable it via OpenWebif.

I guess you may have filled up the flash memory with timeshift or a recording then.
Can you get to /media and see its contents?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jan 03, 2018 16:51

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 15:03
I guess you may have filled up the flash memory with timeshift or a recording then.

But if the problem was caused by the HDD failing to mount, and now mounting normally, you won't see any of the files under /media/hdd that are in the flash. You need to unmount the HDD before you can see those files on the flash /media/hdd. Before you can to unmount the HDD, you need to disable timeshift, disable any logging to the HDD and then restart the GUI.

Unix filesystem mounts are quite nice IMO, but they can have somewhat confusing aspects.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Jan 03, 2018 17:28

prl wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 16:51
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:

But if the problem was caused by the HDD failing to mount, and now mounting normally, you won't see any of the files under /media/hdd that are in the flash. You need to unmount the HDD before you can see those files on the flash /media/hdd. Before you can to unmount the HDD, you need to disable timeshift, disable any logging to the HDD and then restart the GUI.

Unix filesystem mounts are quite nice IMO, but they can have somewhat confusing aspects.

By that, do you mean that there might be some files under /media/hdd (for example, in /media/hdd/movie) that are actually links to the physical ones recorded in flash in /media?
"Holy confusing filesystems, Batman"

drharry2442, what is the status of your flash memory; MENU>Information>Memory will show it - for reference, my T4 shows as having 1.86GB total memory with 1.69GB free.
If your flash memory is full, then from what prl has posted it may be difficult/messy to find out what's using it all up, Likely you'll need to reload the firmware - if it was me I'd load the latest 17.5-series beta firmware "20171230".
The thread is here - viewtopic.php?f=56&t=12125
Also switch to the beta feed as advised in that post, so that you can get any online updates when they're released.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 17:58

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
You will have OpenWebif - it is the web server running on the T-series that provides a web browser interface (e.g. from your computer) to the PVR.
It sounds like you didn't have debug logging enabled then - as you can only enable it via OpenWebif.

As Grumpy_Geoff notes, all you need to do is type in the IP address of the Bwiz ( see Menu->Information->Network on the wiz) into the browser address bar and Openwebif should respond. Bookmark this page and you're set to use a very powerful tool.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jan 03, 2018 22:25

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 17:28
prl wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 16:51

By that, do you mean that there might be some files under /media/hdd (for example, in /media/hdd/movie) that are actually links to the physical ones recorded in flash in /media?
"Holy confusing filesystems, Batman"

No, nothing at all to do with links. When Unix mounts a filesystem on another one, the root directory of the file system being mounted is mapped onto a directory of a filesystem that's already mounted (the root filesystem is "magically mounted" at boot time). So, say, if you mount /dev/sda1 (the internal HDD) on /media/hdd, when you read the directory contents of /media/hdd, you get the contents of the root directory that's on /dev/sda1 instead of the actual contents of the underlying /media/hdd.

Normally you mount filesystems on empty directories, but there's nothing that stops you mounting a filesystem on a directory that isn't empty. So if the "real" /media/hdd contains files, before /dev/sda1 is mounted, ls -l /media/hdd will list the files that are in the "real" /media/hdd, and after /dev/sda1 is mounted on /media/hdd ls -l /media/hdd will list the contents of the root directory of the filesystem on /dev/sda1, and not the files and directories in the "real" /media/hdd.

You can experiment with this with /media/usb. With no USB devices attached, make some small, distinctively named files in /media/usb. Then plug in a USB thumb drive. Now, if you look at /media/usb, you'll see the contents of the top level directory of the thumb drive instead of the files you put in /media/usb. Unmount the thumb drive with the BLUE popup from live TV, and there are your files again in /media/usb :)

This is how Unix has been since the early-to-mid 70s, when MS-DOS was still using device letters (or perhaps hadn't even yet been invented).

In an interesting twist, devices in Unix (ever since, etc...) are represented as "special" files in the file system. They are usually in /dev, or in a subdirectory of /dev, but there's nothing that forces them to be: they can be anywhere. It's the fact that they're a "special" file that makes them a device, not where they are in the file system. They can even be on a mounted filesystem, but because of the security problems associated with "special" files, mounted filesystems that may not have been created by the sysadmin (like auto-mounted USB drives) should be mounted with the "nodev" option that stops "special" files being special on the mounted filesystem.

That's probably enough on Unix filesystems for one night.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Jan 03, 2018 23:32

prl wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 22:25
That's probably enough on Unix filesystems for one night.

$h?t* yeah, it did my head reading the first part of your posting, then I came back to see you added the bit about 'special' :) It looks like you changed a few 'paths' so it was a bit easier to understand the second time around too :)
The message I get is 'opaque overlaid'. The physical devices are overlaid onto the mount anchor point so that whatever contents are there in that anchor point are now no longer visible whilst the mount is still active.
So there's no way of seeing the unmounted contents without unmounting, right?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Jan 03, 2018 23:43

Hi Grumpy_Geoff,

Correct.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jan 04, 2018 05:54

As IanSav says.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jan 04, 2018 05:55

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 23:32
... It looks like you changed a few 'paths' so it was a bit easier to understand the second time around too :) ...

Yes, I came back and fixed some errors. Posted in haste.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

drharry2442
Apprentice

Post by drharry2442 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 06:31

thank you all for your help, it is much appreciated.
Especially the one about unmounting the hdd before you can see certain files on the flash, as I did not know that.

what I ended up doing was powering off the T4, then disconnecting the hdd, powering on again, and I found a .ts file under the root, I deleted it.
powered off and reconnected the hdd and the problem is fixed, I now have 1.7 GB free.

I have the latest firmware and have not downloaded any plugins as quite frankly I have no idea what they do.
I would like to try using the openwebif as I have never used it before, is this something I can run from a win10 pc using the web browser ?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jan 04, 2018 09:10

drharry2442 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 06:31
... I would like to try using the openwebif as I have never used it before, is this something I can run from a win10 pc using the web browser ?

I'm glad you found the problem.

You can access Open Webif on your T4 from all common browsers, including Windows Internet Explorer. Just type the network name of your T4 (defaults to beyonwizt4) into the browser's address bar, and that will open the Open Webif interface in your brower.

If that doesn't work, look up the T4's IP address in MENU>Setup>Network and use that in the browser address bar instead of the name.

While Open Webif is a useful tool, I'm not sure why it was suggested as being useful to solve this particular problem.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Thu Jan 04, 2018 09:19

drharry2442 wrote:
... I would like to try using the openwebif as I have never used it before, ...
Also, just be aware that OpenWebif can control your T4 (in case someone is using the T4 at the time).

Jai has made a brief introduction video about OpenWebif. See here.
Dennis
U4, Bluey USB tuner, WizTV > Yamaha RX-V3900 > Sony KDL46X2000 TV ||
U4, Bluey USB tuner > Sony KD-43X85J TV > Yamaha YAS-209 || FTA EPG ||
Harmony 650s || (U4s on 19.3.20200901 & T2 on 19.3.20200823) ||
Technicolor DJA0230TLS modem/router, Ethernet LAN, Win10 Home 64 ||

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:41

drharry2442 wrote:
what I ended up doing was powering off the T4, then disconnecting the hdd, powering on again, and I found a .ts file under the root, I deleted it.
powered off and reconnected the hdd and the problem is fixed, I now have 1.7 GB free.

Ingenious :idea:

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:43

prl wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 09:10
While Open Webif is a useful tool, I'm not sure why it was suggested as being useful to solve this particular problem.

I suggested it as an answer to the below question, not as a solution to having a full flash (although from the first post I did think that debug logging was being sent to flash) -
drharry2442 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 13:26
I do have a hard drive in the machine, is there any way I can get the T4 to write log file to the hard drive instead of flash memory ?

Return to “Feedback and Suggestions”