Folder suggestions

Feedback and Suggestions for Beyonwiz can be posted here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

robbo
Master

Folder suggestions

Post by robbo » Sun Sep 03, 2017 19:50

I have just taken delivery of my new T2 and I am getting familiar with it. So far I have found it incredibly versatile and functional. However, I beleive that development is happening to improve it and would like to make a couple of suggestions. I don't know if anyone else would find these suggestions useful, and if someone has a good workaround I would love to hear about it.

1) The Media recordings list has a provision to move a recording to a folder, however there doesn't appear to be an easy way to create a new folder from there. That would be really useful

2) It would also be handy if that list could display a count of the number of recordings in each folder. I am already finding myself looking in empty folders repeatedly.

3) Until recently I had a Humax 7500 - never liked it - but it did have one feature that I would like to see on the Wiz, as an option. When recording, I know it is possible to have the unit save them in an existing folder. I believe it would be useful if I could have the option of instructing the unit to create a folder for the recordings and save them in there. I used to find it useful to delete a folder when I had watched everything in it, and the folder would reappear when another show in that series was recorded again

Just some suggestions

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Folder suggestions

Post by MrQuade » Sun Sep 03, 2017 20:18

For number 2, this has been discussed VERY thoroughly on other threads. This is one example. In short, if the Wiz maintained a count of files in directories, then heading the directory contents could be greatly delayed. It is better that the directory is listed quickly in most people's opinions.

For number 3, check out bikemike and prl's series2folder plugin. It has its own thread in the plugins forum. This plugin will do what you want.

For number 1, series2folder should alleviate most of your requirements for directory creation. However, directories can be created by pressing the MENU button while in the media player. You can also map the Create Directory function to a colour button, or to TV, RADIO of TEXT if you like.

Edit: I meant to say media player there, not file manager
Last edited by MrQuade on Sun Sep 03, 2017 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Sun Sep 03, 2017 20:57

Thanks. Should have known I hadn't come up with anything new. Fanatastic

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sun Sep 03, 2017 21:30

robbo wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 19:50
3) ... I used to find it useful to delete a folder when I had watched everything in it, and the folder would reappear when another show in that series was recorded again

You can do that folder delete for an AutoTimer with that same custom location. Some people delete the folder when they've finished viewing the folder recordings and then when the folder reappears they know a new matching timer has fired.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Sep 03, 2017 21:59

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 21:30
You can do that folder delete for an AutoTimer with that same custom location. Some people delete the folder when they've finished viewing the folder recordings and then when the folder reappears they know a new matching timer has fired.
Good point. Since Robbo is not planning on using IceTV, there is less of a need for series2folder. You just need to make that directory manually the one time and then program the autotimer to send all recordings for that series to that directory.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sun Sep 03, 2017 22:57

robbo wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 19:50
find it useful to delete a folder when I had watched everything in it, and the folder would reappear when another show in that series was recorded again

It already works that way. You can set a destination directory for your recordings and if that directory has been deleted, it will be recreated as needed.

We use this mechanism quite heavily. My wife has a bunch of trashy show autotimers configured to record all sorts of crud all year round, like the Bachelor, Farmer wants a wife, Married at first sight, etc. When she's done watching the series, she deletes the empty directory. When the series start screening again, the directory will appear and that will be her clue to start watching and (hopefully) deleting the new series.

We keep quite a lot of stuff archived for the kids (few thousand recordings, mainly from ABC2 and ABC3) and our 4TB drive tends to be almost full most of the time. It took us a few years to get to that point. With a T2, you'll probably have an internal drive somewhere in the 1-2TB capacity. That should do the trick, unless you are a hoarder. If you do like to "keep things", I'd suggest that you get yourself a NAS box and use wired Ethernet to connect it to your T2. You can then move your "keepers" to the NAS box and use the T2 internal drive for day-to-day operation.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

robbo
Master

Post by robbo » Sun Sep 03, 2017 23:14

That is all so cool. I didn't know it would do all that so it's great that it does. I will look into the NAS box idea too.

Return to “Feedback and Suggestions”