Yet Another Recording Downloader for the Wiz

Discussions on Software, File Formats and Conversion.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Mon Feb 04, 2013 14:41

I do like the idea of allowing the specification of an alternative config file. However, I can also work around by temporarily modifying %APPDATA% / $HOME environment vars at runtime.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Feb 04, 2013 15:12

Luke wrote:I do like the idea of allowing the specification of an alternative config file. However, I can also work around by temporarily modifying %APPDATA% / $HOME environment vars at runtime.
messing about with the environment doesn't sound a great way to do it.

On reflection, I think I can combine both my fixes in getWizPnP into a single option (it has far too many already), so I think I'll go that way.

Expect a new beta sometime this week.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Feb 04, 2013 16:34

:oops: The config file is read (actually executed, it's just perl code) before the command-line options are decoded (config settings override program defaults; command line arguments override both). So no option to set the config file without a fair bit of re-coding of how options are processed.

I have made a modification to have environment variable GETWIZPNPCONF set the config file.

E.g. on Bourne-style shells (like bash), you can do this:

Code: Select all

$ export GETWIZPNPCONF=~/mygetwizpnp.conf
$ getWizPnP ... [uses new conf file]
or, for a one-off run with a different conf file:

$  GETWIZPNPCONF=~/mygetwizpnp.conf getWizPnP ... [uses new conf file]
Not as convenient to code as an option, but will that do?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Mon Feb 04, 2013 17:55

Yes, that's easy to handle. I can specify the environment each subprocess executes in without messing with the overall environment.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Feb 05, 2013 15:15

getWizPnP 0.4.5 beta2 now available for download. Adds the ability to set the getWizPnP config file name by setting the GETWIZPNPCONF environment variable.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

bpratt
Master

Post by bpratt » Sat Feb 09, 2013 21:06

Just installed this under win7, and it has a problem when I try to save configs, with the see the logfile.. catch is the logfile does not exist.

c:\users\brendan\appdata\local\temp\yardwiz.20130209.205938.9709.log

where and what is the config file, and can it be edited in notepad ??

Sorry if the answer is already in a post in this 30 page thread, but couldn't seem to find a easy way to search for the answer.

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Sun Feb 10, 2013 07:03

There's a bug in the current release that crashes saving preferences when VLC is not installed. Workaround is to install VLC or edit %APPDATA%\yardwiz\config.ini in notepad.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Feb 10, 2013 09:14

Luke wrote:There's a bug in the current release that crashes saving preferences when VLC is not installed. Workaround is to install VLC or edit %APPDATA%\yardwiz\config.ini in notepad.
That explains what I saw, then. YARDWiz was crashing for me when I saved preferences, and then suddenly it stopped crashing, so I wasn't able to reproduce the problem. I suspect that installing VLC was the reason that the crashes stopped.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

bpratt
Master

Post by bpratt » Sun Feb 10, 2013 09:41

Luke wrote:There's a bug in the current release that crashes saving preferences when VLC is not installed. Workaround is to install VLC or edit %APPDATA%\yardwiz\config.ini in notepad.
%APPDATA% as in c:\users\brendan\appdata\yardwiz\config.ini ?

or %APPDATA% as in the directory which it was installed in ?

as there's no yardwiz directory in appdata.

:)

Thanks.

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Mon Feb 11, 2013 06:11

bpratt wrote:%APPDATA% as in c:\users\brendan\appdata\yardwiz\config.ini ?
Yes, that location. But this won't exist if this is the first time you've installed yardwiz as it only gets created when your preferences get saved. I incorrectly assumed you had a previous version installed.

Try the latest beta version, that bug has been fixed.

bpratt
Master

Post by bpratt » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:36

Latest version works fine now, although I don't always get all of the files as I'm getting Copy Failed : Bad request ... although restarting the download eventually gets it.

When I eventually get it down as a .ts file, I can't load it in to Vegas Pro v9, so what else do I need to do to get this to work ? I might go and see if I can find an answer to this elsewhere on the forum.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:49

I'm glad that resuming the download now works properly. There was a bug in getWizPnP that was causing that.

I still don't know what's causing the Bad Request errors in Windows. I haven't been able to reproduce them.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:54

Latest version works fine now, although I don't always get all of the files as I'm getting Copy Failed : Bad request ... although restarting the download eventually gets it.

When I eventually get it down as a .ts file, I can't load it in to Vegas Pro v9, so what else do I need to do to get this to work ? I might go and see if I can find an answer to this elsewhere on the forum.
Vegas doesn't recognise Beyonwiz TS files or from memory Topfield REC files. You will need to convert them to stock standard mpeg first. You could use ProjectX to demux them into video mpv. audio mpa and subtitles srt if needed or use MPEGStreamclip etc

If you use Vegas as your video editor of choice then you are better off using ProjectX in demux mode to give you the individual tracks with the advantage that ProjectX cleans up most transmission errors if any --- you can bank on it listing 9 in most cases.
Last edited by netmask on Thu Feb 21, 2013 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Feb 20, 2013 14:51

netmask wrote:... Vegas doesn't recognise Beyonwiz TS files or from memory Topfield REC files...
Your memory is correct. Topfield 7xxx PVRs, like Beyonwiz, simply copy out the broadcast stream as a pruned (services not being recorded are stripped out) MPEG2 Transport Stream (TS) file. Topfield 5xxx PVRs do the same, but put a header at the front of the TS file.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

bpratt
Master

Post by bpratt » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:53

Here's another thing I've noticed, but I've got a lot of files which have the exact same name as far as yardwiz is concerned, so whenever I transfer the file across is writes over another of the same name.

Well they aren't all the same name, as as the P2 has a longer name that includes a timestamp to differentiate, but yardwiz only seems to only get as far as the file date.

The reason why these files look the same is because I have been recording multiple segments of the one show, and without the full filename, it gets saved with the shortened filename overwriting the .ts or .tvwiz of that similar name.

What I am saying is that it would be great if yardwiz was able to save the full filename by default. :)

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:16

My downloads using YardWiz are like this

Prophets Of Science Fiction 2012-04-15.ts
Prophets Of Science Fiction 2012-04-22.ts
Prophets Of Science Fiction 2012-04-29.ts
etc etc

Same series name followed by the date
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:05

The filenames are generated entirely by YARDWiz, and the date is normally enough differentiation, but perhaps something additional could be added. I'm not sure what Beyonwiz does with the start time of an edited recording (if something is cut off the start).

Netmask, bpratt's problem appears to be caused by a program that's been recorded in pieces (or perhaps edited that way), and so all the pieces have the same date. Hence the overwriting.

The "full filename" isn't really a useful concept for Beyonwiz recordings, both YARDWiz and the underlying getWizPnP construct the filename from metadata in the recording's header. getWizPnP allows quite a bit of control over how the names are generated, but YARDWiz over-rides those features. Certainly the full name of the recording folder on the Beyonwiz is not a pretty sight, even though it is unique (e.g. something like 7TWO_Canberra_Feb.3.2013_23.7+56326.83220.tvwiz).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:28

The suggested filename is just that, a suggestion. You can change it to anything you like in the 'save as' dialog.

I'm not going to change the default, but I'll look into adding some sort of preference to specify the default if you want to change it.

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun Mar 03, 2013 13:10

Luke

Are you going to release a new update to include Peter's new version and other changes, if any?
Cheers
Gully

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Sun Mar 03, 2013 13:19

Yes, once prl releases GetWizPnP 0.5.4.

bpratt
Master

Post by bpratt » Sun Mar 03, 2013 13:34

prl wrote: Netmask, bpratt's problem appears to be caused by a program that's been recorded in pieces (or perhaps edited that way), and so all the pieces have the same date. Hence the overwriting.

The "full filename" isn't really a useful concept for Beyonwiz recordings, both YARDWiz and the underlying getWizPnP construct the filename from metadata in the recording's header. getWizPnP allows quite a bit of control over how the names are generated, but YARDWiz over-rides those features. Certainly the full name of the recording folder on the Beyonwiz is not a pretty sight, even though it is unique (e.g. something like 7TWO_Canberra_Feb.3.2013_23.7+56326.83220.tvwiz).
That's exactly it, I record the sohws I want to keep in pieces, as it means I don't need as much HD space for the recording, as I eventually edit all the bits together the way I want and then put it on to DVD (it's all SD so it's not big loss).

The full filename as you've said is pretty damn ugly, but it certainly is unique.

Whilst Luke says you change the suggested filename, you certainly can, but it's easier to trim down a filename, than it is to add the extra appropriate characters when you are trying to save multiple files. :)

I'm hoping Luke can do an update to allow the longer by default, or at least allow people to choose a default naming, be that long like what I'm after or the current default perhaps ?

glow
Guru

Post by glow » Sun Mar 03, 2013 14:12

You can have the time included in your filename
Tools > Options > Date format for filenames
Default is
%Y-%m-%d
but you can add the hours and minutes
%Y-%m-%d-%H%M

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun Mar 03, 2013 14:17

Luke wrote:Yes, once prl releases GetWizPnP 0.5.4.
Thanks
Cheers
Gully

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Mar 03, 2013 14:22

Gully wrote:Luke

Are you going to release a new update to include Peter's new version and other changes, if any?
The file name formatting options in getWizPnP aren't new. I don't think the file name formatting options in YARDWiz are, either.

The main changes (apart from bug fixes) in getWizPnP 0.5.4 are not yet supported by YARDWiz (at least not in the last beta I downloaded).

I'll release what I hope will be the last beta of 0.5.4 as soon as I can.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Sun Mar 03, 2013 15:05

glow wrote:You can have the time included in your filename
Default is
%Y-%m-%d
%Y-%m-%d-%H%M
I'd completely forgotten about that! Thanks, that should sort bpratt's issue.

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun Mar 03, 2013 15:24

prl wrote:The file name formatting options in getWizPnP aren't new. I don't think the file name formatting options in YARDWiz are, either.

The main changes (apart from bug fixes) in getWizPnP 0.5.4 are not yet supported by YARDWiz (at least not in the last beta I downloaded).

I'll release what I hope will be the last beta of 0.5.4 as soon as I can.
Sorry, I wasn't thinking about the naming when I posted that just some of the other updates and fixes.

Thanks Peter.
Cheers
Gully

bpratt
Master

Post by bpratt » Sun Mar 03, 2013 16:29

glow wrote:You can have the time included in your filename
Default is
%Y-%m-%d
%Y-%m-%d-%H%M
DOH DOH DOH !!!!!

That'll do what I want to do... thanks !

Didn't notice that in the config until you pointed it out to me, thanks.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Mar 06, 2013 17:26

There is a limited release of getWizPnP 0.5.4 beta3 now available for download.

I hope that this will be the last beta for 0.5.4, and that I can get a distribution copy out so that Luke can do a proper release of YARDWiz.

The original post of the beta release announcement and my post here to let YARDWiz users know about it seem to have disappeared in the Great Database Restore of March 2013.
Yes Minister - Open Government wrote:Jim Hacker MP: How am I going to explain the missing documents to the Mail?
Sir Humphrey: Well this is what we normally do, in circumstances like these. [hands over a file]
Jim: [reading] This file contains the complete set of papers, except for a number of secret documents, a few others which are part of still active files, a few others lost in the flood of 1967. [to Humphrey] Was 1967 a particularly bad winter?
Sir Humphrey: No, a marvellous winter, we lost no end of embarrassing files.
Jim: [reading] Some records which went astray in the move to London, and others when the War Office was incorporated in the Ministry of Defence, and the normal withdrawal of papers whose publication could give grounds for an action for liable or breach of confidence, or cause embarrassment to friendly governments. [to Humphrey] Well that's pretty comprehensive. How many does that normally leave for them to look at? [Humphrey says nothing] How many does that actually leave? About a hundred? Fifty? Ten? Five? Four? Three? Two? One? Zero?
Sir Humphrey: Yes Minister.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Mar 18, 2013 16:16

Hi, Luke. How is the stability of getWizPnP 0.5.4beta3 looking? I'm ready to roll out a 0.5.4 release if the beta looks OK to you.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Mon Mar 18, 2013 21:13

I've just implemented the --delay and --wizpnpTimeout arguments as YARDWiz options (in Windows) and haven't spent a great deal of time testing getWizPnP but I haven't come across any issues. Seems very stable.

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Sun Mar 24, 2013 07:38

I've done a bit more testing and no issues with getWizPnP beta 3.

Recusant
Master

Post by Recusant » Mon Apr 01, 2013 18:38

Just thanks for this great little program.

I wish i could program :(
DP-P2 & T4

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Apr 02, 2013 14:30

The most recent version (for Perl 5.16) of the PAR-Packager Perl package that I use to make pre-packaged Windows distributions is now only supported on 64-bit versions of Windows. I still have Perl 5.12 that I can continue to use to make getWizPnP distributions, but sometime in the future, that may become untenable.

How much of a problem would it be if (sometime in the future) I distributed only a 64-bit prepackaged Windows getWizPnP? I assume that it would not run on 32-bit machines.

How much of a problem is that likely to be for getWizPnP users, including people who use it indirectly through YARDWiz? I assume that the longer I hold off the switch from (32-bit) Perl 5.12 to (64-bit) 5.16, the fewer people there will be for whom this would cause difficulties.

The full story is over in the getWizPnP topic.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

glow
Guru

Post by glow » Tue Apr 02, 2013 22:56

I'm still using 32 bit XP and Windows 7 with YARDWiz but don't use getWizPnP directly.
So it would be a shame if I couldn't get the latest features or bug fixes.
However I'm very happy with YARDWiz 0.4.2.0 and getWizPnP 0.5.3 today so if that was the last 32 bit version I could certainly get by.

I guess if somehow there were later versions of Beyonwiz firmware released that needed changes in getWizPnP then it could be a problem for us 32 bit users.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 03, 2013 07:55

Luke has posted that he was able to get a working version of 32-bit PAR-Packager running in 32-bit ActivePerl. So things may not be as dire as I first thought.

Anyway, I intend staying on my current 32-bit version of Perl 5.12 for as long as I can.

I don't forsee problems with changes caused by the Beyonwiz firmware.

But I still have some improvements in mind for getWizPnP.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 03, 2013 13:24

A new version of getWizPnP, 0.5.4, is available.

Beta versions of 0.5.4 are no longer available.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Yorto

Post by Yorto » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:44

I can't find a solution on the forums.. When I scan I get the following that doesn't display anything. Having the same issues with WizFX, where that used to work a long time ago.

The WizPnP server is online.
Finished listing programs on the WizPnP server
Connecting to lounge (192.168.1.7:49152)...
The WizPnP server is online.
Finished listing programs on the WizPnP server

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:33

Try the most recent beta. I'm about to release a new version, but can't until I set my PC up again (packed up due to house renovations).

You can also try enabling debug logging (Tools->Options->Debug) and PM me the output log file.

Can you also provide info on what PC operating system and Beyonwiz firmware you are using.

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Tue Apr 16, 2013 15:41

Got the log via PM, thanks Yorto.

The log seems to indicate getWizPnP is not returning anything. Can you try two things for me?

1. Open a browser and navigate to http://192.168.1.7:49152/index.txt and PM to me.
2. Open a command prompt in the YARDWiz install directory (in Windows Explorer navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\YARDWiz" if you have Win 7 64bit or "C:\Program Files\YARDWiz" if you run 32 bit, hold the Shift key and right click then select "Open command window here"). Enter the following command: getWizPnP.exe --all -l --index -H 192.168.1.7 -p 49152 and PM to me.

Yorto

Post by Yorto » Tue Apr 16, 2013 15:54

Thanks, sent PM with 1. In CMD it is not doing much at all..

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Tue Apr 16, 2013 16:07

I can't see anything sensitive in that index.txt so I will quote here.
Yorto wrote:C:\Program Files\YARDWiz>getWizPnP.exe --all -l --index -H 192.168.1.7 -p 49152

C:\Program Files\YARDWiz>

That is the reply with the CMD.

Following is the text.

## DO NOT EXPORT OUTSIDE PVRs ## ## 3998 ## CE82F2F...really long string of gibberish (7996 chars)...455D7B4 idehdd/contents
I've never seen that before... I assume this is running on the "unlocked" Freeview Wiz?

It looks to me like techguys "unlocked freeview firmware 1.7.350 free ur freeview" isn't as unlocked as he claims...

I don't think there's anything I can do I'm afraid.

YARDWiz and getWizPnP should work fine on your P2 though.

Yorto

Post by Yorto » Tue Apr 16, 2013 16:17

Luke wrote:
Yep, should have tried the beta on the dpp2 first.
Thanks.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Apr 16, 2013 22:24

Luke wrote:I can't see anything sensitive in that index.txt so I will quote here.
Yorto wrote:C:\Program Files\YARDWiz>getWizPnP.exe --all -l --index -H 192.168.1.7 -p 49152

C:\Program Files\YARDWiz>

That is the reply with the CMD.

Following is the text.

## DO NOT EXPORT OUTSIDE PVRs ## ## 3998 ## CE82F2F...really long string of gibberish (7996 chars)...455D7B4 idehdd/contents
I've never seen that before... I assume this is running on the "unlocked" Freeview Wiz?

It looks to me like techguys "unlocked freeview firmware 1.7.350 free ur freeview" isn't as unlocked as he claims...

I don't think there's anything I can do I'm afraid.

I think you're right. My understanding is that the FV-L1's index.txt file is encrypted (and that that is all that secures WizPnP on an FV-L1). I suspect that it uses a hidden shared private key, but I'm not certain.

It may be hackable, but I don't intend to try to.

Yorto, just for information, I wrote getWizPnP, which is a WizPnP file transfer client that's used by both YARDWiz and its predecessor WizZilla to do their communication with Beyonwizes.

I'm actually quite surprised that getWizPnP produced any output from an FV-L1.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Wed Apr 17, 2013 07:04

I probably should have paraphrased Yorto's PM, the reference to getWizPnP just demonstrated the empty output. The only output was from the index.txt.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 17, 2013 09:08

Luke wrote:I probably should have paraphrased Yorto's PM, the reference to getWizPnP just demonstrated the empty output. The only output was from the index.txt.
Ah. That makes more sense :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Thu Apr 18, 2013 22:02

Been quite a while, but I've just released a new version of YARDWiz.

Version 0.4.3

Downloads: New in 0.4.3:
  • Add getWizPnP --retry option to retry downloads automatically if they fail.
  • Add option to disable WizPnP server address caching.
  • Replace separate Play and Pause buttons with a single button that switches between Play/Pause.
  • Add --delay and --wizpnpTimeout getWizPnP options for Windows.
  • Update getWizPnP to 0.5.4 in downloads that include a compiled version.
Fixed in 0.4.3:
  • Fix Wiz Server combobox size and font.
  • Fix bug setting preferences when GetWizPnP < 0.5.3 (http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewt ... =345#96362)
  • Don't use 0.0 speeds when calculating estimated download time.
  • Fix Unicode errors
  • Fix WizPnP server discovery loop bug
  • Fix segfault on Kubuntu 12.04
  • Resize Wiz Server combo box after discover
  • Fix OSError: [Errno 17] File exists when running setup.py install on linux with an existing installation
  • Fix crash when saving preferences and VLC is not installed.
  • Fix logfile display in class Stderr on OSX
  • Move '.' to end of path for security
  • Hardcode VLC path on OSX
  • Fix multiple --no-video-title arg when calling VLC
  • Create a limited environment for getWizPnP with HOME/APPDATA stripped out/empty GETWIZPNPCONF environment variable (getWizPnP 0.5.4+) so .getwizpnp/getwizpnp.conf doesn't get used. Resolves Issue 2.
Known issues

Thanks to prl for his assistance testing on OSX (and for writing getWizPnP!).

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Sat Jun 29, 2013 16:15

I've just released a new version of YARDWiz.

Version 0.4.4
Windows
OSX 10.8 (Note: 10.6 no longer supported. Untested on 10.7)
Linux 32bit
Linux 64bit

Fixed in 0.4.4:
  • Fix program list sorting (resolves issue 37).
  • Fix misssing program info.
Note: this release has had very minimal testing. Go forth and test guinea pigs ;)

glow
Guru

Post by glow » Sat Jun 29, 2013 19:16

Version 0.4.4 seems to work ok for me - downloaded a queue of 4 recordings on Win 7.
Just noticed some error messages for some files - may have been present with the previous version but I wasn't looking too closely.
example error messages

Downloading Kitchen Whiz - Kitchen Whiz...
Error, unable to download D:\temp\Kitchen Whiz 2013-06-27.ts.
getWizPnP STDOUT:GO!: Kitchen Whiz/Kitchen Whiz - Copy
getWizPnP STDERR:
Retrying (attempt 2).
Download of D:\temp\Kitchen Whiz 2013-06-27.ts complete.

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Sat Jun 29, 2013 20:43

glow wrote:Version 0.4.4 seems to work ok for me - downloaded a queue of 4 recordings on Win 7.
Just noticed some error messages for some files - may have been present with the previous version but I wasn't looking too closely.
example error messages

Error, unable to download D:\temp\Kitchen Whiz 2013-06-27.ts.
getWizPnP STDOUT:GO!: Kitchen Whiz/Kitchen Whiz - Copy
getWizPnP STDERR:
Retrying (attempt 2).
Download of D:\temp\Kitchen Whiz 2013-06-27.ts complete.
If the recording downloaded successfully on a subsequent attempt, don't worry, it's doing what it's supposed to if the download "drops out" for some reason (not uncommon with Win 7).

Return to “Content, Software and USB”