Why no TV service?

Discussions on Digital TV, Signal Areas, Scheduling and Programs.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Charlotte
Apprentice

Why no TV service?

Post by Charlotte » Sun May 30, 2021 01:27

I live in a country town. We have mobile phone and tv towers. Woke up this morning. Mobile phone - Aussie broadband using telstra - says SOS only. Check and find there’s an outage in the area. An hour later the Optus mobile broadband goes out in sympathy. Go to check TV and no reception ie no picture; just a black screen where the pic should be. Can’t get TV service via Beyonwiz or direct from TV. Otherwise Beyonwiz’s working fine. Have 2 Sony TVs, each connected to a T4.
go to neighbours to use their wifi and check - there’s an issue with Optus in area. Neighbours also with telstra for mobile and have no phone or TV reception either. They have nbn, so have internet.
Tonight the mobile broadband came back on. Still no mobile phone.
I tried again to get a TV pic but both Beyonwizes behaved strangely doing random things eg one had empty epg with a date 1970. Something obviously upset them today. Rebooted both and all seems to be normal except no picture. All recordings work fine.
My neighbour wondered whether there was a problem with the TV tower, as he doesn’t have TV reception either. All my channels have 0% for reception. I’ve tried to find a page to find out current outages for tv service but just went around in circles. Any ideas? If no TV in morning will ask around locally.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Why no TV service?

Post by MrQuade » Sun May 30, 2021 01:49

Just sounds like an infrastructure failure on your local transmitter tower. Small town means you probably only have one in the area, and all those services will rely on the same power and tower to function.

I wouldn't bother chasing that up unless you are keen on knowing an ETA to fix. Whoever is in charge of fixing the tower will already know something is wrong.

The empty EPG and date set to 1970 is normal. The Wiz relies on the TV signal to get the time unless you have manually configured it to use network time instead. And if your network is out, it then has no way to get time at all.
The EPG is fetched from the live signal too. Your Wiz should maintain a week's worth of guide, so if you haven't turned the Wiz on for a week, then the EPG will be empty.
If your Wiz was on more recently, then it might mean that either an error occurred, or you have mis-configured the Wiz EPG refresh settings.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Charlotte
Apprentice

Post by Charlotte » Sun May 30, 2021 10:25

Thanks for that. Yes, I’ve found out from local Facebook page that lots of people have problems. I have tried scanning for channels and after scanning, tv tells me there aren’t any. Many people would like to know what’s going on. Yes we only have one tower. The correct time etc came back when I rebooted the tv. The epg is fine until Thursday. The Beyonwiz is happily ‘recording’ as usual, except there’s nothing there. My mobile phone is working today 😃

miyagirl 1
On probation

Post by miyagirl 1 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 17:57

Hi all,
My Mum has a T4 too and she has just got a new Hisense Tv When we linked it to new TV it is doing what you guys have been talking about. No stations - it says they are N/a and the date is 1970. Has the wiz crashed? Or is there something I can do to help her fix it? All her recordings are there but we cant get any tv guide or any stations. We cant adjust the date either?
Could it be the TV antennae cable? She was only ever connected through the TV aerial - not through internet....
Any help or advice would be lovely?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Aug 15, 2022 19:41

miyagirl 1 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 17:57
Could it be the TV antennae cable?

Could be.
How's it cabled? Antenna wall port straight to T4? Or via a splitter - antenna wall port to splitter, splitter to both TV and T4?
If the former, does the new TV get an FTA signal if you move the antenna cable over to it?
If the latter, does the new TV get an FTA signal?

Have you tried a services re-scan on the T4?

Return to “Digital TV”