tuner works, then doesn't...

Discussions on Digital TV, Signal Areas, Scheduling and Programs.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

vku
Apprentice

tuner works, then doesn't...

Post by vku » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:36

Hi All, I have just submitted this problem with support but maybe someone has had this problem before. My tuner decides it doesn't want to receive a channel, usually ABC. Then it can't receive 9 or 7 and eventually cant receive most stations. Turn it off and all channels come back except 2. leave it for a few hours and re-tune and all channels work again... for a while.

Its not the aerial as all channels are fine with the TV's tuner. This problem only started a few months back but prior to this beyonwiz was faultless. I still reckon its the best pvr out there and a bonus that its Australian.

prl
Wizard God

Re: tuner works, then doesn't...

Post by prl » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:46

vku wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:36
Hi All, I have just submitted this problem with support but maybe someone has had this problem before. My tuner decides it doesn't want to receive a channel, usually ABC. Then it can't receive 9 or 7 and eventually cant receive most stations. Turn it off and all channels come back except 2. leave it for a few hours and re-tune and all channels work again... for a while.

Its not the aerial as all channels are fine with the TV's tuner.

Tuners vary in sensitivity between devices. The fact that the TV still works on all channels when the Beyonwiz doesn't doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't an antenna or cabling issue. In fact, because it's an intermittent problem, that suggests that it might be a connection problem.

You didn't say which model, either. If it's a T3, that model has its tuners in sockets, and sometimes re-seating the tuners in their sockets can fix problems like this.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

vku
Apprentice

Post by vku » Wed Sep 06, 2017 13:34

Its a T4, and to elaborate, the tuners worked fine for some time. If I tun the device off for a significant amount of time all channels work fine. It seems to degrade the longer its left on.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Sep 06, 2017 13:36

Is your T4's fan operating correctly and does the T4 have plenty of ventilation room around its case?
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

vku
Apprentice

Post by vku » Wed Sep 06, 2017 19:58

Yes to both questions. I turned if off for an hour and now all channels perfect except it cant find the ABC :-(

stevebow
Master

Post by stevebow » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:09

A possibility may be that there is a problem with the "default" tuner, usually tuner A. You could try use Tuner B instead.

Firstly, disconnect all the tuner loop-thru cables behind the T4 and connect a single antenna cable from the wall antenna socket to Tuner B "IN" behind the T4. Then, force the T4 to use tuner B:

Menu->Setup->Tuners->Tuner allocation->Preferred tuner->Tuner B (usually "auto") -> Power cycle the T4 for this setting to take effect.

On any working channels, when changing channels, confirm that the "B" letter is green (and A,C,D are grey) to the left of the signal strength bars in the on-screen info bar.

Does this make any difference?

Steve

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:23

stevebow wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:09
Menu->Setup->Tuners->Tuner allocation->Preferred tuner->Tuner B (usually "auto") -> Power cycle the T4 for this setting to take effect.

No need to 'Power cycle', just zap (change the live TV service) to a different broadcast network provider as this will force a retune.

vku
Apprentice

Post by vku » Mon Sep 11, 2017 17:23

tried changing to tuner b. have confirmed that tuner b is working (comes up when changing channels). No luck im afraid

did a factory reset, no luck

now i dont have the blue epg screen, i now get the screen that i used to get when pressing the epg button twice. this is pretty frustrating.

vku
Apprentice

Post by vku » Mon Sep 11, 2017 17:25

I should say tuner a an b do the same thing, cant find abc, and sometimes other channels when re-tuning

vku
Apprentice

Post by vku » Mon Sep 11, 2017 21:40

ok, so i have turned beyon wiz off. sequence of events....

-channel 7 reception started to fail
- all channels reception gone
- i notice tuner a decided to become default all by itself
-operating system crashed
-i powered off, restarted
channel 7 now gone

the machine is having issues. not overly impressed. Shame as it really was the best thing since media centre imo

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Sep 11, 2017 22:05

How did tuner A become the preferred tuner - did you factory reset?
Have you got the antenna back feeding tuner A input, and have you got the loop-through cables going to tuners B, C and D?

What is the signal strength (top bar) and quality (bottom bar) on the problematic broadcast channels?

Did you rescan after swapping tuners? If you bypassed tuner A, did you disable it in tuner config?

Attach the crash log (from /home/root/logs/)

vku
Apprentice

Post by vku » Mon Sep 11, 2017 22:50

as per previous suggestions i changed to tuner b and my beyonwiz decided to go to tuner a ALL BY ITSELF. I'm not kidding!

i swapped the aerial back into a and had some channels

the operating system then crashed

i re-scanned and that came up with an error msg

i gave up

now using my sony tv, crappy guide and all but the channels all work

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:12

vku wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 22:50
as per previous suggestions i changed to tuner b and my beyonwiz decided to go to tuner a ALL BY ITSELF. I'm not kidding!

If there's a recording being made on your preferred tuner, then if you change the live TV channel to broadcaster other than the one being recorded, it will use a different tuner from the preferred tuner. It has no choice but to do that. There isn't enough information in your post to tell whether that's why it happened in your case. Tests of specific tuners need to be done when there are no recordings being made.
vku wrote:
the operating system then crashed

Was it the operating system that crashed (with a reboot back to the Beyonwiz "button" screen), or just the PVR application hat crashed, with a black screenful of white text, and a restart from the "bubble" startup screen? If the latter, there will be a crash log, and someone may be able to fix the cause of the crash. There may even be some hint of the cause of the underlying problem in the crash log.
vku wrote:
i re-scanned and that came up with an error msg

Please be more specific, if possible, than "an error message". The main body of the PVR code is about 500000 lines. It helps to be able to localise where a problem may be occuring.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

vku
Apprentice

Post by vku » Thu Sep 14, 2017 20:28

mystery solved!

It seems that even thought the TV could tune all channels the beyonwiz couldnt. That threw me. Today i replaced all the connectors to the cabling from tv airial to where it goes into the house. Hey presto! All channels came back to beyonwiz. My guess is the tuner isn't as strong as the TV's

Thanks to everyone for trying to help. Much appreciated. Also thanks to the team @ beyonwiz who agreed to have the unit returned and fixed for a flat fee of $50. Very reasonable.

Now to get the EPG working again....

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Sep 14, 2017 22:34

vku wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 20:28
... My guess is the tuner isn't as strong as the TV's ...
prl wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:46
Tuners vary in sensitivity between devices. The fact that the TV still works on all channels when the Beyonwiz doesn't doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't an antenna or cabling issue. In fact, because it's an intermittent problem, that suggests that it might be a connection problem.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Digital TV”