How do I schedule recordings for a particular channel?

Discuss IceTV's EPG and Remote services here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

mister_bimbo
Master

How do I schedule recordings for a particular channel?

Post by mister_bimbo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 07:59

Hi All,

I've had reason to want to schedule recordings for a particular time/channel, and I've found that this isn't possible (or at least I've not worked out how to do it). The option for "Network" means that the recording can be scheduled on all of the channels of the network and not one specific channel.

A couple of examples:
1. I want to record the nightly "ABC News" on ABC1 at 7:00pm. If I select "ABC News", I get the option of "Network" (and not channel). While I can force the time to be 7:00pm (i.e. using the "this time" option), I can't force IceTV to select ABC1. The results of this is that IceTV can/does direct the "ABC News" to be recorded on the ABC News channel. I've got around this by manually scheduling the recording directly on the BW.

2. I want to record the Commonwealth Games, but only recordings on a single channel and not the entire network. I wanted to record all the broadcast shows (i.e. morning, afternoon, early evening, late evening) on the one channel, so I choose the "Record All" option. Unfortunately this catches everything on both Ten and ONE ... and so creates duplicates between Ten and ONE - not a problem in itself, but the duplicate recording can/does lead to conflicts if there is something else on one of the other channels that I've selected to record at the same time.

Any ideas? Perhaps there is something obvious that I'm overlooking..?

Cheers,
David

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Oct 11, 2010 08:10

There isn't any way to force a recording onto a specific service using IceTV. Your alternatives are:
  • Don't use IceTV, set a regular recording on the Beyonwiz, as you already have for the ABC News. That will work well for "set in stone" programming like the ABC evening news.
  • If you want to use IceTV, try being inventive with "Only HD" and "Only SD" settings on the recording. That should let you force ABC1 for the news (by setting Only SD) and One HD for the Games (by setting Only HD). I've never tried it, so I'm not certain it will work.
Last edited by prl on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon Oct 11, 2010 09:53

As Peter suggests the Only SD/HD switch will do the trick as ABC News is their HD service so only SD will ;imit it to ABC1/2/3.
Cheers
Gully

j s
Master

Post by j s » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:30

prl wrote:There isn't any way to force a recording onto a specific service using IceTV. Your alternatives are:
  • Don't use IceTV, set a regular recording on the Beyonwiz, as you already have for the ABC News. That will work well for "set in stone" programming like the ABC evening news.
  • If you want to use IceTV, try being inventive with "Only HD" and "Only SD" settings on the recording. That should let you force ABC1 for the news (by setting Only SD) and One HD for the Games (by setting Only HD). I've never tried it, so I'm not certain it will work.
"HD only" would not be the best choice for the CG as some sessions are on TEN only (when ONE has commitments to other sports). "HD preferred" would be better. You might still get some duplicates as the TEN and ONE start/end times are not always the same, Remove any duplicates via "My Week".

download
Guru

Post by download » Tue Oct 12, 2010 15:22

Can you disable a channel from either the ICETV (SEND TO LCN AS).

But in your case a manual option is probably much better. For the NEWS you can also set the AUTO DELETE option to 1 day (which ICE can't do).

Regards

Peter Gillespie

NB ICE need to remove the Copy SD channels to HD option from their website.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Oct 12, 2010 15:26

download wrote:Can you disable a channel from either the ICETV (SEND TO LCN AS).
But that would affect all recordings and EPG for that service. Probably a bit drastic for the OP's problem.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Wed Oct 13, 2010 07:03

Hi Peter,
prl wrote:There isn't any way to force a recording onto a specific service using IceTV. Your alternatives are:
Your second suggestion for ABC News has worked a treat :) For a moment, I thought that it was going to play up (again) as when I initially scheduled it, IceTV indicated that the recording was to be on the ABC News channel. A brief wait and then a click of "My Week" had the right recording displayed.

For the CG recordings, I'll just manually purge the remaining duplicates (there are not too many of them). I think it'd be good if IceTV enhanced the service so that:
1. You can specify the channel (and not just the network)
2. You can configure Autodelete settings on the timers. IceTV already knows what devices you have configured, so I don't see why this can't be built into their functionality - the logic being "if Device = Beyonwiz, then display Autodelete options". I'm sure that other PVR's/media players IceTV support have particular functionality that could be harnessed the same way.

Cheers,
David

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Oct 13, 2010 08:29

Hi, David. I'm glad you've got the problem at least mostly sorted.

You're probably better off posting suggestions for improvements in IceTV functionality on the IceTV forum. I'm not saying there's a problem posting them here; it's just more likely that they'll be noticed by the right people if you post there :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 06:58

Hi Peter,
prl wrote:Hi, David. I'm glad you've got the problem at least mostly sorted.

You're probably better off posting suggestions for improvements in IceTV functionality on the IceTV forum. I'm not saying there's a problem posting them here; it's just more likely that they'll be noticed by the right people if you post there :)
I had that thought when writing out the reply ... but a deadly combination of inertia and laziness set in ... and I kept going :roll: I'll scrape together the motivation over the next week and join the IceTV forum and make a contribution there :)

Thanks for always helping out!

Cheers,
David

Return to “Ice TV”