Bad IceLink messages

Discuss IceTV's EPG and Remote services here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

stevew

Bad IceLink messages

Post by stevew » Sun Mar 02, 2008 08:44

Hi

My first post, so be gentle if I've missed the solution from somewhere else in topics. (I've searched but not found anything).

Anyway, I'm repeatedly getting the following error when my S1 contacts the IceTV EPG:-

"Bad IceLink message received from the server".

Any ideas please? Firmware is the Dec22 release (01.05.192).

Is this perhaps related to the ICETv Remote service?

Thanks

SteveW

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Mar 02, 2008 09:13

Hi SteveW,

Welcome!

This sounds like an IceTV configuration issue. Have you checked that you have defined your device and entered all the settings correctly?

Perhaps you may find more information and/or pointers on the IceTV website and forums.

Regards,
Ian.

stevew

Post by stevew » Sun Mar 02, 2008 09:27

Ian

I don't think it's an ICETv config issue, as the EPG downloads OK. I was wondering if it had something to do with IceTvRemote, as I tried to schedule a couple of programs that way from the IceTV Remote site?

I've been using IceTV now for 60 days now without other issue (albeit a bit tetchy from time to time). I renewed my subscription yesterday, and tried the remote functionality.

Is the IceTVRemote functionality not supported yet by the S1?

Thanks

Steve

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun Mar 02, 2008 09:57

There is no IceTV Remote currently but you do need to have set up a device through it for IceTV to work.
Cheers
Gully

DaveR
Wizard

Re: Bad IceLink messages

Post by DaveR » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:26

Bad IceLink message received from the server
Means the IceTV Server is not recoignising your account details.

This could be because:
- Your Ice username and/or password do not match (try entering them again)
- The IceTV server is playing up (contact IceTV)
- The IceTV server has blacklisted your account (contact IceTV)
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:02

I get those messages sometimes too, I just ignore them because the EPG comes through from ICE just fine.
I have to wonder if they are something to do with the Wiz not recognising one of the messages back from ICE, perhaps to do with the one request per hour throttling that ICE has (I tend to see this message if I have restarted the Wiz a few times and bother to look at the settings screen).
Regards
Tony

danielicetv
Apprentice

Post by danielicetv » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:19

When an error of "Bad IceLink message received from the server" is listed on the Beyonwiz it means that the Beyonwiz is not parsing the message correctly.

This could happen for a number of reasons:

- Old firmware (new fields that have been added to the EPG feed cause the Beyonwiz to fall over for no apparent reason, these new fields have been blocked from new firmwares as the new firmwares report the device correctly, update to the latest firmware to fix).
- Communication problem (the Beyonwiz has not received the exact guide it was expecting and has then for some reason rejected all the guide, wait for an hour and clear the cache to try again).
- Possible blacklisting (this is unlikely as blacklisting was a once off and the majority of accounts are back up and running, contact IceTV to check).
Regards,

Daniel Hall
CTO.
IceTV

Vortical
Guru

Post by Vortical » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:43

danielicetv wrote:When an error of "Bad IceLink message received from the server" is listed on the Beyonwiz it means that the Beyonwiz is not parsing the message correctly.

This could happen for a number of reasons:

- Old firmware (new fields that have been added to the EPG feed cause the Beyonwiz to fall over for no apparent reason, these new fields have been blocked from new firmwares as the new firmwares report the device correctly, update to the latest firmware to fix).
- Communication problem (the Beyonwiz has not received the exact guide it was expecting and has then for some reason rejected all the guide, wait for an hour and clear the cache to try again).
- Possible blacklisting (this is unlikely as blacklisting was a once off and the majority of accounts are back up and running, contact IceTV to check).
Daniel it's happened on my H1 with the latest firmware just two days ago.
I had already had the blacklisting error fixed too.

I'm thinking the Communication error is more likely to be the problem.

martymonster
Apprentice

Post by martymonster » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:19

I have been getting these same errors every once in awhile.
I am on the current latest release version of firmware.
It was also happening on the previous level of firmware.

I did reformat the HDisk after the latest firmware was installed.

I also get a 'failed to get epg' errors every once in awhile as well.

If I delete the ICe Cache (Which as a user I should never need to do) the epg usually is retrieved correctly instantly.

My Topfields do not seem to get this problem.

I do not believe it to be a connectivity issue but more a BW Firmware issue as by deleting the cache, it comes good.

Marty

Vortical
Guru

Post by Vortical » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:38

martymonster wrote:
I do not believe it to be a connectivity issue but more a BW Firmware issue as by deleting the cache, it comes good.
You might be right

I only use Ice with BW products.

Once my Ice subscription runs out I won't be continuing that's for sure regardless of whether IceRemote gets enabled or not.

Foxtail
Master

Post by Foxtail » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:46

I'm now getting this..

"Bad IceLink message received from the server".

No idea why, seems to have started once i downloaded and installed the new widget.

Is there new FW out of late could this be the problem?.
cheers,
Foxy

Gear: Pioneer 507 - 50" Plasma, Beyonwiz S1, Yamaha DVD player, KEF KHT 3005 Speakers + Sub

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:53

Hi,

Interestingly enough, late last night I even had problems accessing the IceTV website. The home page wouldn't fully download. I also still have issues with the 2.0.5 IceTV Widget not always updating. I am wondering if some/all the IceTV issues reported for the Beyonwiz may be triggered by problems on the IceTV servers?

Regards,
Ian.

Foxtail
Master

Post by Foxtail » Mon Mar 31, 2008 16:04

I'm back to square one again, will now not connect to my Mac airport, keeps sayin link is down, so think I might chuck the S1 in the bin as I've threatened in the past and go buy a reliable SD MP Toppy, this ICE TV drives me nuts.

Update:
Just went to my TV/BW tried ICETV, got message "Bad ICETV link etc". tried again told to wait 55 minutes, didn't wait, turned off enable, turned enable back on, got message "EPG link OK " or something like that, then 20 seconds later get message "couldn't' resolve host", went back to TV had a look at ICETV and guess what!, one whole bloody weeks programs are there, dam well beats me!.
cheers,
Foxy

Gear: Pioneer 507 - 50" Plasma, Beyonwiz S1, Yamaha DVD player, KEF KHT 3005 Speakers + Sub

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Mar 31, 2008 20:23

Chances are that if you pay more attention to the state of the EPG, you will find that IceTV is disabled and you are getting FTA EPG for most (but probably not all) channels.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Foxtail
Master

Post by Foxtail » Wed Apr 02, 2008 06:42

what does this mean?.

"Bad IceLink message received from the server"
cheers,
Foxy

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 06:53

It means what it says. Just a protocol confusion or something between the Ice webserver and the Wiz. The ICE data still manages to get from the server to the Wiz, probably just a dropped packet or delay or something.
Regards
Tony

Foxtail
Master

Post by Foxtail » Wed Apr 02, 2008 06:59

Is there a fix for this?.
cheers,
Foxy

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Apr 02, 2008 09:03

Hi,

Sorry about quoting myself, but, ...
IanSav wrote:Interestingly enough, late last night I even had problems accessing the IceTV website. The home page wouldn't fully download. I also still have issues with the 2.0.5 IceTV Widget not always updating. I am wondering if some/all the IceTV issues reported for the Beyonwiz may be triggered by problems on the IceTV servers?
For the last 24 hours or so my 2.0.5 IceTV Remote Widget has started to behave itself. It now appears to be downloading and updating the EPG without my assistance. Access to the IceTV website also seems to be much more stable. I haven't fixed or changed anything at my end.

Regards,
Ian.

Foxtail
Master

Post by Foxtail » Wed Apr 02, 2008 09:12

Lucky you. just tried mine again

says "success on getting EPG data from disk

then another MSG "couldn't resolve host" get no programs.
cheers,
Foxy

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Apr 02, 2008 09:28

Hi Foxtail,
Foxtail wrote:says "success on getting EPG data from disk

then another MSG "couldn't resolve host" get no programs.
This sounds like you have a router or other network issue. The Beyonwiz is telling you that itwas able to restore the cache of EPG data from its internal disk but the Beyonwiz was unable to contact the IceTV servers to get an update. The Beyonwiz asked your network for the contact IP address for the IceTV server but your network was unable to fulfil the request.

It may be appropraite to restart or fix your DNS server. If you don't use a separate DNS server then you are probably using the DNS functions within your router. In that case, you should probably restart your router.

Regards,
Ian.

Foxtail
Master

Post by Foxtail » Wed Apr 02, 2008 09:58

Thanks for he advise.

I'm on a Mac and using airport, will switch it off and on and see what happens. My Mac guru mate is coming over today to set up more wireless I will get him to check it all out.
cheers,
Foxy

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:41

As Ian said, the host is related to DNS. DNS is used to resolve names like "www.icetv.com.au" into IP addresses. If your Wiz DNS is incorrectly configured, or your router is incorrectly configured (or your router is giving out incorrect information to the Wiz) then this will explain your issue. Most routers have an option to proxy the DNS requests thru to the one that your ISP provides you (and is typically turned on by default), so that if you look at the DNS address in the Wiz DHCP/IP address screen, it should be the same as the gateway address (which is just your router address in other words).
Regards
Tony

Foxtail
Master

Post by Foxtail » Thu Apr 03, 2008 06:39

Last message I had yesterday was the "Bad IceLink message received from the server", left it on screen for about 20 minutes, went to phone came back turned TV off, 2 hours later turned TV back on see one weeks ICETV programs all there. its crazy.
cheers,
Foxy

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:56

Hi,

Me quoting myself again...
IanSav wrote:Hi,

Sorry about quoting myself, but, ...
IanSav wrote:Interestingly enough, late last night I even had problems accessing the IceTV website. The home page wouldn't fully download. I also still have issues with the 2.0.5 IceTV Widget not always updating. I am wondering if some/all the IceTV issues reported for the Beyonwiz may be triggered by problems on the IceTV servers?
For the last 24 hours or so my 2.0.5 IceTV Remote Widget has started to behave itself. It now appears to be downloading and updating the EPG without my assistance. Access to the IceTV website also seems to be much more stable. I haven't fixed or changed anything at my end.

Regards,
Ian.
The 2.0.5 Widget has died again. I really think that the IceTV issues are because of a problem at the IceTV end (or a problem in their Widget code).

Regards,
Ian.

Foxtail
Master

Post by Foxtail » Thu Apr 03, 2008 16:57

Mucking around wit ICETV on BW this arvo, tried turn off DCHP then back on, received full weeks programs.
cheers,
Foxy

Return to “Ice TV”