Correct way to start a plugin/kodi through telnet

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Duskspeed

Correct way to start a plugin/kodi through telnet

Post by Duskspeed » Thu Jun 20, 2019 21:09

Hey guys, quick question about starting kodi,

the normal way to start kodi is to open it through the BW UI under plugins and I am aware that I can also start it through ssh/telnet and even make it an init.d script autorun and have it run standalone but can someone explain to me the difference between doing it through the UI and using the terminal, command wise?

the reason I ask is if I run it through the terminal and it runs I am able to use keyboard/mouse but the remote control input goes to the BW UI causing it to pop through briefly as well as other issues from running it like this, do I need to block/ignore input to prevent the background from receiving input?, is there an argument for running it properly that does this that I should be using?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Correct way to start a plugin/kodi through telnet

Post by MrQuade » Thu Jun 20, 2019 21:39

I'd guess that it would be because Kodi doesn't know what a remote control command is on its own. Kodi would just receive commands from the main UI which intercepts all the IR commands, and since you have launched Kodi outside of the UI, the UI is then unaware that it should send commands to Kodi.

You need some way to get the normal user interface to launch the Kodi plugin, and not just launch it from the underlying OS.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Return to “Kodi Plugin”