Newbie - NAS issues

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Red-Stag
Apprentice

Newbie - NAS issues

Post by Red-Stag » Thu Apr 23, 2020 08:42

Dear All, am a newbie to BeyonWiz and I am very impressed with what I see. Purchased the V2 yesterday and I love the quantum of settings / functions etc. Recording to a USB drive works but I am trying to record to a Synology DS207 NAS. Have created the share folder on the NAS and given read/write priviledges to a newly created user on the NAS and the folder. However I am constantly bashing up against errors which tell me that the BeyonWiz does does not have write access or the relevant priviledges to write to the NAS. I am perplexed, there is no firewall in place (to my knowledge) because the connections are happening within the LAN. In addition I can access the shared folder on the NAS from my Linux PC and create files and folders so I dont understand what is preventing access to the NAS by the BeyonWiz.

I attach the log files I have been able to find.

If anyone can challenge my thinking/approach or suggest where I might be falling over would greatly appreciate a few pointers please?

PS - trivial matter but I would like to know how to set the time in the on screen display in the bottom right hand corner.

Kind regards
Red Stag

BeyonWiz V2 - Release 19.3 (new - purchased this week)
Synology DS207 NAS - 2 bay RAID 1 500GB
TP-Link Archer VR500v Modem / Router (new - purchased this week)
Last edited by Red-Stag on Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:33, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards
Red-Stag
BeyonWiz V2 - Release 19.3
TP-Link Archer VR500v Modem / Router

prl
Wizard God

Re: Newbie - NAS issues

Post by prl » Thu Apr 23, 2020 09:08

What version of SMB does your NAS support? The default configuration on the Beyonwiz side is to require that the server that it's connecting to runs at lease SMB 2.1, though that can be changed

The crashes are indirectly due to the NAS connections failing. The crashes because of it need to be fixed, though.

Do you mean the time shown in the Infobar? That's what's shown whjen you see when you press OK while in live TV? I ask, because in the pre-installed skins, it's bottom left. The signal status is bottom right in those skins.

That (and everywhere else where time of day is shown) just shows the current system time, and it should be set automatically. What is wrong with the time displayed? Does it start off displaying a time shortly after midnight on Jan 1 1970? Or does it have some other problem?

There is no facility to set the time manually. If your Beyonwiz is networked, network time (rather than broadcast time) is recommended.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Red-Stag
Apprentice

Post by Red-Stag » Thu Apr 23, 2020 13:23

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your comments. Your question is very sound. With respect to the NAS itself, finding out which version of Samba is installed hasn't been so easy for me, the NAS uses BusyBox and has a very limited repertoire of commands and I have not been able to find one that will list installed package versions. I attach a screen shot which shows the list of available commands within BusyBox. The NAS dates back to circa 2008 or 2009 so perhaps this can only mean smb ver 1.0?

The default setup on BeyonWiz was for smb Version 2.?. Initially when the Samaba connection did not work I changed it to ver 1.0 but that seemed to make no difference. I understand that ver 1.0 is no longer considered secure but that concerns me less because this is a LAN and I have not setup access for internet access to the NAS.

I actually don't feel strongly about the need for a Samba connections, for me it does not have to be a Samba connection, perhaps NFS might suffice but, once again I have tried this to no avail and I get the same error message.

IMG-0928 shows the TV screen, in the bottom right hand corner is a display which looks to me like a time display. IMG-0929 is a close up photo of that piece of the TC screen.

Kind regards
Red-Stag
Attachments
Screenshot-3.png
Screenshot-3.png (19.14 KiB) Viewed 5760 times
IMG-0928.jpg
IMG-0929.jpg
Kind regards
Red-Stag

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Apr 23, 2020 14:04

There are no logs to examine - did you edit the post and remove them?

Permission errors are very likely due to the way you setup the NAS. You need to ensure that filesystem permissions are granted to the user that you configured on the Beyonwiz. Without seeing more detailed info it's hard to tell.

Those OSD displays are from your TV, not the Beyonwiz.

BTW: Just because you bought the V2 this week does not guarantee that it has the most current firmware.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 14:08

A recurring issue for many older NAS users is that the Wiz expects SMB version 2.1 or higher. If your NAS can't readily be changed to this, the alternative is to manually edit the mount option of the folder on the Wiz. This works for many users so may be your best option,

Edit the Wiz mount setting for the NAS (assuming this exists) by deleting "vers=2.1" from the mount option field.

Use Menu> Setup > Network > Mount manager > Mountpoints management to edit the NAS mount. I generally use the remote to edit. Right arrow to enter the field. The Next and Prev buttons act as delete and backspace respectively. There is also an on-screen keyboard accessible via the Text key.

When finished, press Green and then WAIT for it to say its been updated! Other key presses can abort the edit.

Edit; I note you say you switched to SMB v1.0 but it is not clear if you followed these steps. I also omitted to mention that you should restart the GUI or reboot the Wiz to be sure the setting has been changed. Some network changes are effective immediately but this should not be relied upon.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

Red-Stag
Apprentice

Post by Red-Stag » Thu Apr 23, 2020 14:45

Dear Peter,

Ok, after much searching I found that the command "ipkg list" provides a list of installed packages on a BusyBox device. I attach a screenshot of the output. I am very surprised because the output suggests anything from Samba version 2.2 to 3.6 or so. Don't quite know how this can be unless it automatically updates somehow? The output still leaves me a little unsure as to which version of Samba I would declare on the BeyonWiz device?

Yes I think I followed the steps as you outlined in Mount Manager. Maybe I didn't wait long enough afterwards. I will happily try again.

Any thoughts?

Kind regards
Red Stag
Attachments
Screenshot-5.png
Screenshot-5.png (66.81 KiB) Viewed 5738 times
Kind regards
Red-Stag

Red-Stag
Apprentice

Post by Red-Stag » Thu Apr 23, 2020 15:07

Dear All,

Seems I didnt attach the log files properly, my apologies. Please find them attached within.
Attachments
Enigma2_crash_2020-04-22_17-12-18.log
(42.48 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Enigma2_crash_2020-04-22_17-32-49.log
(22.72 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
console.txt
(2.06 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Enigma2_crash_2020-04-23_14-41-00.log
(40.35 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
enigma2_execution.log
(493 Bytes) Downloaded 78 times
Kind regards
Red-Stag

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Apr 23, 2020 15:13

It's not the version of the Samba software that we care about, it's the configuration of Samba and specifically, which versions of the SMB protocol are enabled.

The output of cat /etc/smb* /etc/samba/* will probably give the relevant information.

Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Apr 23, 2020 17:33

The two crashes seem to be down to the old problem that if autofs tries to mount a share and fails, the local share name shows up in /media/autofs, but if you try to access the share mount point (as opposed to just enumerating the names in /media/autof) the access will fail (even for root).

A lot of code assumes that if a name exists, then it's accessible.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Red-Stag
Apprentice

Post by Red-Stag » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:40

Dear All,

Thank you for your comments and guidance. Some feedback as to current status.

1) I confirm that the side issue I was dealing with regarding a "time" OSD was in fact associated with the TV (as suggested by Peteru, thank you) and I did not realise it. I have dealt with this and we should not allow it to contaminate discussions going forward.

2) Regarding the more important issue of the NAS - the BusyBox does not allow one to run the cat command "cat /etc/smb* /etc/samba/*" as suggested by Peteru. In fact the contents of the etc folder beginning with the letter 's' does not include a single entry that appears to relate to samba as per the attached. Maybe there is a way to "beef up" BusyBox to get it to perform more commands but at this stage I am unsure how that would be done if it could be done.

3) Other learning I have had is that I think I am going a bit too fast without doing sufficient checks because I notice that when I tried NFS, the mount entry still had "vers=2.1" in there and BeyonWiz did not like this. The vers entry obviously related to my attempts to get samba working and mounting working.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Attachments
ls-al-s_for_etc.png
ls-al-s_for_etc.png (114.7 KiB) Viewed 5684 times
Kind regards
Red-Stag

Red-Stag
Apprentice

Post by Red-Stag » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:43

Dear All, in reference to Peteru's question I confirm that the firmware is the most up to date. I followed the instructions as supplied with the BeyonWiz device and ensured it was up to date prior to any setting up on the BeyonWiz device.
Kind regards
Red-Stag

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:16

There are instructions for setting the SMB versions supported by the Synology DS207 NAS here.

The only think I'd be cautious in the instructions is whether "with large MTU" means "use jumbo frames:. If it does, you may want to avoid setting the large frames and stick with the more usual 1500-byte frames.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Red-Stag
Apprentice

Post by Red-Stag » Fri Apr 24, 2020 14:20

Dear All,

Thank you. I have researched the information provided. The DSM on my Synology is so old that it does not have the functions described in the hyperlink and associated tutorial. I come to the conclusion that the DSM and or firmware is so old that it is not possible to update it anymore. I may have had the opportunity some years ago if the path existed. Each time I try follow a lead on the Synology website to perform an update on the device the starting point requires a version of DSM greater than the one installed on my device. Maybe we have reached the end of the road?

Please find attached the screenshot of the DSM details.

PS I still dont understand how there is no reference to samba in the file system ie no samba file sin etc. I dont get that.
Attachments
Synology.png
Synology.png (114.48 KiB) Viewed 5669 times
Kind regards
Red-Stag

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Apr 24, 2020 15:05

Red-Stag wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 14:20
Each time I try follow a lead on the Synology website to perform an update on the device the starting point requires a version of DSM greater than the one installed on my device.

The lastest DSM version available for the DS207 is version 3.1-1639 dated 2014-09-10 according to -
https://www.synology.com/en-global/supp ... 7#firmware
Can't you download that file (DSM_DS207_1639.pat) and apply the update?
Don't download the DS207+ firmware (the .pat file shown in your screenshot suggests to me that you've done just that).

Red-Stag
Apprentice

Post by Red-Stag » Fri Apr 24, 2020 18:16

Dear All,

Thank you for your help. Yes I have a copy of the *.pat file as you suggested. I have opened it to see what is inside and I attach a screenshot to this end. I am sorry I simply do not know what to do with such a file. It is beyond my knowledge. Are you able to advise, how would I run it or apply it?

I understand that my questions have deviated wildly from the original request and you are effectively providing Synology support now. Please draw the discussion to a close if I am now stepping outside the bounds of what is reasonable on the BeyonWiz Forum. I am very appreciative for the support I have received and thank you all very much.

Many thanks
Attachments
pat-file-contents.png
pat-file-contents.png (51.06 KiB) Viewed 5645 times
Kind regards
Red-Stag

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Apr 24, 2020 18:19

Red-Stag wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 18:16
I understand that my questions have deviated wildly from the original request and you are effectively providing Synology support now. Please draw the discussion to a close if I am now stepping outside the bounds of what is reasonable on the BeyonWiz Forum. I am very appreciative for the support I have received and thank you all very much.

Sometimes that happens. I don't think any of the moderators would have problems with it.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Apr 24, 2020 18:55

Red-Stag wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 18:16
Yes I have a copy of the *.pat file as you suggested. I have opened it to see what is inside and I attach a screenshot to this end.

I don't think you do have a copy of the file.
As far as I know, 'Synology Assistant' is a desktop utility, so I can't understand what that has to do with firmware updates.

I believe the file to download is 'DSM_DS207_1639.pat' as I identified in my earlier post. That .pat file is 155MB in size.
My point to you was for you to download firmware for a model you have, which is a DS207, not one you don't (i.e. not for a DS207+ as in your earlier screenshot - no wonder DSM says "you can't get there from here").

Red-Stag wrote: I am sorry I simply do not know what to do with such a file. It is beyond my knowledge. Are you able to advise, how would I run it or apply it?

Here's an extract from the help pages on how to update the firmware. Note I don't have a Synology NAS, my info is from using Google to search -
"DiskStation Manager / DSM Update

Perform Manual DSM Update
You can download the .pat update file from Synology's Download Center and perform manual DSM update.

To perform manual DSM update:
Visit Download Center to download new DSM update to your local computer. The .pat file does not need to be extracted.
Click Manual DSM Update to enter Manual DSM Update Page
Click Browse to select the update file.
Click Apply to start to update your DSM. The system will reboot automatically when the update completes."

https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... _dsmupdate

And whilst I'm here, SMB protocol min/max versions -

"DiskStation Manager / SMB

Minimum SMB protocol
Maximum SMB protocol"

https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... macnfs_win

blip
Master

Post by blip » Fri Apr 24, 2020 21:05

The release notes for the 3.1 firmware state: DSM 3.1 can only be applied to DiskStation with DSM 2.1 and onward. From the posted screenshot it looks like version 2.0 is currently installed so 2.1 may have to be installed before 3.1.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Apr 24, 2020 21:31

blip wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 21:05
The release notes for the 3.1 firmware state: DSM 3.1 can only be applied to DiskStation with DSM 2.1 and onward. From the posted screenshot it looks like version 2.0 is currently installed so 2.1 may have to be installed before 3.1.

Good spotting -
"Version: 3.1-1594
(2011-03-03)
DSM 3.1 can only be applied to DiskStation with DSM 2.1 and onward. Download DSM 2.2-0942 at: Americas, Asia, Europe"

It appears that DSM 2.2-0942 version is listed here - https://archive.synology.com/download/D ... /2.2/0942/

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Apr 24, 2020 23:23

500GB RAID1. Seems hardly worth the effort. :twisted: You might find that an always-on V2 with an external 4TB or larger drive may be a better solution than the NAS. :shock:

All joking and tongue-in-cheek comments aside, updating the NAS firmware is definitely a good idea, but taking a precautionary backup should be the first step.

Regardless of which version of the NAS firmware you end up using, the following settings in the SMB/Advanced section of the NAS configuration should work with all Beyonwiz machines:

Maximum SMB protocol: SMB3
Minimum SMB protocol: SMB1
Transport encryption mode: Auto

Blog.

Red-Stag
Apprentice

Post by Red-Stag » Tue Apr 28, 2020 09:31

Dear All,

I thank you again for making the time to respond to my scenario, I appreciate it very much. Allow me to respond to some very specific questions / issues and in the process I hope we can put them to bed and de-clutter the conversation a little.
500GB RAID1. Seems hardly worth the effort

Code: Select all

- Yes understand and now that I have a USB drive directly attached the the BeyonWiz and see how easy that is to setup by comparison it is extremely tempting to give up on the NAS.

updating the NAS firmware is definitely a good idea
- Yes, agree

DSM 3.1 can only be applied to DiskStation with DSM 2.1 and onward. Download DSM 2.2-0942 at: Americas, Asia, Europe
- None of the hyperlinks in this this thread from the Synology website work, they all go to the infamous "404" website error as per the attached image. I agree that the upgrade path appears to be 2.0 > 2.1 >3.1 in sequence using the appropriate *.pat file in each case.

It appears that DSM 2.2-0942 version is listed here - https://archive.synology.com/download/D ... /2.2/0942/
- Yes, thank you, I confirm that I am in possession of this *.pat file.

As far as I know, 'Synology Assistant' is a desktop utility, so I can't understand what that has to do with firmware updates.
- I concur, to be honest its somewhat basic and anyone that is capable of entering "192.168.0.10" into a browser address bar can probably get by without it.

My point to you was for you to download firmware for a model you have, which is a DS207, not one you don't (i.e. not for a DS207+ as in your earlier screenshot
- Yes, thank you and done.

Perform Manual DSM Update
You can download the .pat update file from Synology's Download Center and perform manual DSM update.

Visit Download Center to download new DSM update to your local computer. The .pat file does not need to be extracted.
Click Apply to start to update your DSM. The system will reboot automatically when the update completes."
- Have followed this very carefully and advise that the functionality ie the menu items referred to do NOT exist in the DSM (version 2.0) that is installed on my NAS. So it is simply not possible to replicate the actions as advised by Synology. Please see the attached screen shots of the DSM menu system on the DS207 NAS. In the absence of the menu items as per the Synology website instructions the most likely candidate menu items are the "Information | status", and "System | Package Management" menu items. I attach images for each, the "status" page shows there are no selectable items to ENABLE an install of the *.pat file. The "System | Package Management" feels like a misqueue from the outset because a package is usually a subset within an OS. Despite this and in the interests of exhausting the options I selected package management and went through the process and the screen shot confirms that this is not the appropriate way to apply a *.pat file.

Aside, I have gone to the Synology site and attempted to get help. I get a bit stuck because to get help you need to register a device and the Synology support website refuses to recognise a DS207 and my NAS serial number or the combination of the two. It appears as if the architect of the support website has deliberately avoided offering help for either certain serial numbers or certain models ie DS 207.

On the basis of all the above I summarise by saying that the core of the problem is that whilst I am in possession of the correct *.pat files there is no published repeatable way to apply it on the DS207 running DSM 2.0 that I am aware of.

I am beginning to wonder if the device had a peculiar hardware / software setup that did not align well with upgrade-ability? It has been a solid and reliable device so I have been very happy with it otherwise. Any last thoughts before we gravitate towards putting this issue to bed on the basis of no published repeatable method being available?

Many thanks
Attachments
Invalid-file-format.png
Screenshot-8.png
Screenshot-7.png
Screenshot-7.png (18.16 KiB) Viewed 5581 times
Kind regards
Red-Stag

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Apr 28, 2020 09:43

Red-Stag wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 09:31
None of the hyperlinks in this this thread from the Synology website work, they all go to the infamous "404" website error as per the attached image.
They all seem to work for me as of this morning.
Maybe check them again, or figure out what the issue is at your end. Perhaps try using a different DNS server? (I use Cloudflare)
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

blip
Master

Post by blip » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:28

In the second picture there is a firmware update option in the list on the left. What happens when you select that?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:17

Red-Stag wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 09:31
Synology wrote:Perform Manual DSM Update

- Have followed this very carefully and advise that the functionality ie the menu items referred to do NOT exist in the DSM (version 2.0) that is installed on my NAS. So it is simply not possible to replicate the actions as advised by Synology.

You already showed us the Synology screen used to update the firmware in this post -
viewtopic.php?p=186455#p186389
Home>>System>>Firmware Update

I'm guessing the proces is -
  • download the firmware update file to your computer
  • click 'Browse...' on that screen
  • locate and select that .pat file
  • click 'update' or 'apply' or whatever button is available
  • the system should reboot
The 2.2/0942 release update file - synology_ppc824x_207_0942.zip (the zip file contains the .pat file. This must be extracted first according to the Synology forum).
The 3.1/1639 release update file - DSM_DS207_1639.pat

Red-Stag
Apprentice

Post by Red-Stag » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:54

Dear All,

Thanks for the comments. On the basis of the comments provided I changed the primary and secondary DNS servers on my router to the CloudFlare DNS servers (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1) on the router and saved them and rebooted and I get exactly the same error messages. Two of the error messages are the "404" error and the third is attached. Don't understand.
Screenshot-7.png
Screenshot-7.png (47.46 KiB) Viewed 5557 times
Firmware update - I have looked at this but without a firmware update file there is not much I can do and I have searched the net to no avail for updated firmware.
Kind regards
Red-Stag

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:08

Red-Stag wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:54
Firmware update - I have looked at this but without a firmware update file there is not much I can do and I have searched the net to no avail for updated firmware.

The 2.2/0942 release update file can be downloaded from -
https://archive.synology.com/download/D ... 7_0942.zip
This zip file must be extracted first to produce the .pat file to use to update the firmware.

The 3.1/1639 release update file can be downloaded from -
https://archive.synology.com/download/D ... 7_1639.pat

Red-Stag
Apprentice

Post by Red-Stag » Wed Apr 29, 2020 13:54

Dear All,

Thank you Grumpy-Geoff. I wonder if I understand the source of some of the confusion now. In my mind a firmware update and a GUI (DSM software) update were two seperate things. I have never seen a GUI software AND Firmware combination being referred to as either a firmware update or a GUI (DSM) software update and seeming to use the words interchangeably. So in other words if you completely ignore the FACT that the menu system says "Firmware Update" and simply apply the *.pat file to upgrade to DSM vers 2.2 it upgrades the DSM version to DSM version 2.2. Similarly if you THEN apply the *.pat file to upgrade from DSM vers 2.2 to DSM vers 3.1 it upgrades the DSM version 3.1. Further I assume that the reason why this didn't work for me earlier was because I was attempting to use DS2-7+ insdtead of DS07 file as pointed out by a member on this forum. This means I now have the most current DSM software on the NAS as recommended by Synology. Thank you. Please be kind to me by not asking which firmware is running and if it is the most current. I note the system status in the DSM 3.1 screen now uses different language, as per the attached, it refers to "DSM version". I searched the menu system and the help system for the word "firmware" and cannot find any reference to it. So, perhaps firmware and GUI get updated at the same time but the language and emphasis has changed to simply refer to it as DSM software now. What a mission, I'm exhausted and I haven't got to the issue I was trying to solve. In the interests of keeping the thread cleaner and simpler I will post another response dealing with the Samba protocol for which I dont appear to have an answer as yet. I am still working my way through it.

Will be in touch and thank you again one and all.
Kind regards
Red-Stag

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 29, 2020 15:09

Might I suggest that you use paragraphs?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Wed Apr 29, 2020 16:38

If it helps your thought process, think of the NAS firmware as software that makes the NAS hardware do something. So, anything that is installed on the NAS is part of it's firmware.

Anyway, once you enable the full range of SMB protocols on the NAS, including 1, 2.1 and 3, you should be able to get the Beyonwiz to work reliably without the need for anything special. Given that you have probably tried a few things on the Beyonwiz so far, it is very likely you have some configuration "crud" that may cause complications. I suggest that you delete all the network mounts you have defined on the Beyonwiz, then reboot before going ahead with trying to configure a new mount.

Blog.

Red-Stag
Apprentice

Post by Red-Stag » Thu Apr 30, 2020 16:40

Dear All,

In my quest to connect the BeyonWiz to the NAS I confirm that the most current software is on the Synology DS207 NAS now. It is called DSM 3.1. Please see the attached image which shows the menu system. I have compared that with the guidance provided by Synology and as pointed out by a beyonwiz forum member as per the comments below.
"DiskStation Manager / SMB

Minimum SMB protocol
Maximum SMB protocol"
https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... macnfs_win
In that process what becomes clear is that the menu items, to which the Synology website refers, do not exist in DSM 3.1 I am left assuming that the Synology website guidance is using another version of DSM. What I mean is that there is no "Control Panel | File Sharing | File Services" menu item. I have also meticulously searched every single menu item and cannot find anything with the proposed settings. I have also searched for the terms "file services", "samba", "smb", "protocol" and "transport encryption mode" to no avail.

In other words I cannot find a way to get access to the following settings as proposed by PeterU.
Maximum SMB protocol: SMB3
Minimum SMB protocol: SMB1
Transport encryption mode: Auto
I assume that trying to connect by sequentially and in turn setting "vers=1.0" or "vers=2.1" or "vers=3" will unlikely yield anything as the settings on the NAS continue to remain unknown at this time.

Seperately from this and via SSH I have used the terminal to search for "/etc/smb*" and "/etc/samba/*" and these do not exist.

Any thoughts please?
Attachments
DSM-3-1.png
DSM-3-1.png (94.31 KiB) Viewed 5467 times
Kind regards
Red-Stag

blip
Master

Post by blip » Thu Apr 30, 2020 16:54

What options are shown when you select Win/Mac/NFS in File Sharing and Privileges?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Apr 30, 2020 18:04

Red-Stag wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 16:40
What I mean is that there is no "Control Panel | File Sharing | File Services" menu item.

Well not byte-for-byte no, but very close -

DSM_SMB.png

The end-segment of the URL of that Synology help article also gives it away -

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/AdminCenter/file_winmacnfs_win
'file_winmacnfs_win' -> File - Win/Mac/NFS, now doesn't that line up nicely with your Control Panel screenshot?

Red-Stag wrote:
I have also meticulously searched every single menu item and cannot find anything with the proposed settings.

Including 'Win/Mac/NFS' under File Sharing and Privileges?
Red-Stag wrote:
I assume that trying to connect by sequentially and in turn setting "vers=1.0" or "vers=2.1" or "vers=3" will unlikely yield anything as the settings on the NAS continue to remain unknown at this time.

Why do you assume that? One of those three will work, likely the first.

Red-Stag
Apprentice

Post by Red-Stag » Thu Apr 30, 2020 20:28

Dear Grumpy Geoff,

I apologise, I dont understand. Please see the attached images of all the menu items under Control Panel Win/Mac/NFS.

My perception is that the option I am looking for is not there.
Attachments
Control Panel_Win-Mac-NFS.png
Control Panel_Win-Mac-NFS.png (43.15 KiB) Viewed 5446 times
Domain Workgroup.png
Domain Workgroup.png (48.27 KiB) Viewed 5446 times
Mac File Service.png
Mac File Service.png (33.13 KiB) Viewed 5446 times
NFS Service.png
NFS Service.png (28.19 KiB) Viewed 5446 times
Kind regards
Red-Stag

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Apr 30, 2020 21:30

Red-Stag wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 20:28
Please see the attached images of all the menu items under Control Panel Win/Mac/NFS.

My perception is that the option I am looking for is not there.

Yep, from those screenshots it appears DSM3.1 does not support SMB2/3.
This article seems to suggest versions greater the SMB1 are only in DSM 5.2 and later -
https://www.synology.com/en-global/secu ... nerability

So back to changing the 'Mount options' and remove the ',vers=2.1' option.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 21:41

Your first image states optimise CIFS. Therefore SMB v1 should be present.

Use the V2 Network Browser to set up a CIFS share of the folder. Scroll down the list past any NFS shares offered. In the mount options field delete ",vers=2.1" and save and wait for it to complete.

Hopefully, this will give you a working Samba version 1 share. It may require the username and password too depending on how the NAS is configured. Edit these in in the mount manager.
Denon AVR -X2400H

Red-Stag
Apprentice

Post by Red-Stag » Tue May 05, 2020 16:54

Dear All,

Thank you one and all, we got there! So in summary, now have the BeyonWiz device connecting to the NAS. I can successfully mount the NAS drive. I think what (also) tricked me is that replacing "vers=2.1" with nothing ie "" is what worked. I was expecting to use "vers=1.0". Havent worked out how to record to it as yet but at least we have a connection. Thank you, thank you, thank you
Kind regards
Red-Stag

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Tue May 05, 2020 22:01

Red-Stag wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 16:54
Dear All,

Thank you one and all, we got there! So in summary, now have the BeyonWiz device connecting to the NAS. I can successfully mount the NAS drive. I think what (also) tricked me is that replacing "vers=2.1" with nothing ie "" is what worked. I was expecting to use "vers=1.0". Havent worked out how to record to it as yet but at least we have a connection. Thank you, thank you, thank you
I'm surprised too that "vers=1.0" didn't work but good to know.

There are many ways to record to it but I'm not expert in them all. Autotimers can have a location specified. (Update: Timers can be edited to set an external location.) You could also set the NAS as the default recording location. Not sure whether this requires the mount option to specify "use as hdd replacement" to be active.

Personally, I just copy programs to external storage for longer term retention. Others can fill in the details of how to record to the NAS.
Denon AVR -X2400H

Return to “Tips & How to Guides V2”