V2 timers not deleting

Moderators: Gully, peteru

K Gee

V2 timers not deleting

Post by K Gee » Tue Apr 07, 2020 19:53

Hi again.
I am having problems with my V2 still recording shows I have deleted. I use the blue auto timer alot eg say for Bondi Rescue for the kids which is on multiple channels and different times. However I have tried deleting this timer using
- the timer list screen using the TIMER button then deleting from that list
- through the EPG - going onto the red highlighted show and editing/deleting the timer
however they just keep recording! This is happening for two or three shows every day where they continue to show up in the timer list.
I am using this V2 old school ie no network - just literally the V2 and the TV.
If you could please give me an idea what I am doing wrong?
thank you!

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Re: V2 timers not deleting

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Apr 07, 2020 20:06

The AutoTimer definition is generating a new timer to replace the one you deleted. It doesn't know that you deleted the previous version of the timer, it just knows that one needs to be created because it doesn't exist.

So, simply press YELLOW/Disable on any timer you don't want to record, the AutoTimer definition won't generate a new one because there is one in existence. The disabled timer won't record.

In many cases you can tighten up the AutoTimer definition so it doesn't generate duplicate timers for the same program.

K Gee

Post by K Gee » Tue Apr 07, 2020 21:33

ok thank you.
So does it matter if I disable in the Timer List section or the EPG?
Eg I just went to Bondi Rescue tomorrow night in EPG, went green to edit timer and yellow to disable so that worked. However if I skip forwards 24hrs to the next night it is still highlighted red to record.
I thought I had tried disabling also, not just deleting but I must be doing something wrong.
Thanks for your help

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Apr 07, 2020 22:31

K Gee wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 21:33
So does it matter if I disable in the Timer List section or the EPG?

No, the end result is the same - that specific timer is disabled. It's quicker in the timer list, just one button; YELLOW/Disable
K Gee wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 21:33
Eg I just went to Bondi Rescue tomorrow night in EPG, went green to edit timer and yellow to disable so that worked. However if I skip forwards 24hrs to the next night it is still highlighted red to record.
I thought I had tried disabling also, not just deleting but I must be doing something wrong.

Each timer is independent from another. Their only relationship might be that they were generated from the same AutoTimer definition because each different program event entry in the EPG matched the conditions specified in the AutoTimer definition, thus a timer is generated for that individual event.

Generally, if you specify in an AutoTimer definition -
'Require description to be unique' to value 'On any service', and
'Check for uniqueness in' to value 'Title and Short description',
then you'll have less duplicate timers generated for the same program on repeat showings, as the completed and waiting timers will be checked to see if the same program already has or had a timer generated.
To match the above, you'll also need to ensure you keep completed timers for 8 days - the setting is MENU>>Setup>>TV>>Recording settings>>Remove completed timers after (days)) on the 3rd page (so CH- [channel down] twice].

Also enable AutoTimer setting 'Check existing timer based on begin/end', as this will also limit duplicate timer generation when the broadcaster changes the event identification number (EIT, the event's unique number/key field) and alters the start/end for the program at the same time. This setting then allows the AutoTimer definition to update that existing timer for that (now) old event and adjust it to the new times and EIT. Otherwise, a new timer will be generated, leaving the original untouched.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue Apr 07, 2020 22:45

K Gee wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 19:53
I use the blue auto timer alot eg say for Bondi Rescue for the kids which is on multiple channels and different times.

I'll be happy to take a gander at your AutoTimer definitions if you want me to cast an eye over them.
This topic linked below has just about every method covered in how to get the underlying files off the Wiz so you can attach them in a post here.
There's also a lot of sidetracks taken in that topic, so stay focussed :)
What I'm after are two files -
(i) the AutoTimer definitions file located at /etc/enigma2/autotimer.xml, and
(ii) the timers file at /etc/enigma2/timers.xml.
Best of luck - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=13516

K Gee

Post by K Gee » Wed Apr 08, 2020 09:44

Ok! I see! Thanks for all the info. I will go and have a good look at it all and refine my timers more and see how I go first.
Thanks so much! :wink:

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:32

K Gee wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 09:44
I will go and have a good look at it all and refine my timers more and see how I go first.

I forgot to mention the AutoTimer definitions should restrict the program selection to a particular service or a bouquet without any simulcasted duplicate services, otherwise duplicate timers can be generated after an EPG event on a simulcasted service has its start/duration times changed.
See this explantion.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:39

Part of the problem with AutoTimers generating multiple timers for the same episode (shown at different times) is that there is no usable information in the FTA EPG that identifies repeats. That means that AutoTimers can't be set up to avoid recording the so-called "encores" that infest broadcasting.

Judicious use of the "Require description to be unique" setting on an AutoTimer can help by avoiding that AutoTimer setting more than one timer for an episode of a series. This can only work when the description of a program varies from one episode to another, but for some program types, like news or current affairs, all episodes of the series have the same description.

It's also possible to set the default setting for "Require description to be unique" in MENU>AutoTimer, MENU>Edit new timer defaults, but because the usefulness of this setting varies a lot between programs, changing the default may not be all that useful.

An alternative is to network your PVR and get an IceTV subscription ($8/month). IceTV has fairly reliable mark-up and handling of repeat recordings. Its main failing in repeat handling is that if episodes of a repeated series are shown more than once/week (as with, say the recent re-runs of Poirot and Miss Marple), then allowing repeats to be recorded will record all the repeats, including the repeated ones (if you follow that).
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

K Gee

Post by K Gee » Wed Apr 08, 2020 16:04

ok thanks for all that info also!
I am also asking about shows that have multiple different episodes in a week eg Bondi Rescue
As a specific example if I go to the EPG or timer list and disable tonights two episodes
then if I skip forwards 24hrs each day they are still red to record each night in the future week.
Ie when you disable one timer today does it not disable the series on same channel, same time?
Hope that makes sense. :D

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Apr 08, 2020 16:22

K Gee wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 16:04
I am also asking about shows that have multiple different episodes in a week eg Bondi Rescue
As a specific example if I go to the EPG or timer list and disable tonights two episodes
then if I skip forwards 24hrs each day they are still red to record each night in the future week.
Ie when you disable one timer today does it not disable the series on same channel, same time?
Think of an "Autotimer" as an engine for making timers. If you disable one of the timers that the engine created, it won't stop the engine from making more timers at different times.

As the other have said, there are a heap of extra features in an Autotimer that you can customise that will let you restrict it to only creating timers that you actually want. Time of day, day of week, specific service, and even excluding words like "Repeat" or "Encore" if they appear in the show title or description (which they often don't unfortunately).
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Apr 08, 2020 20:05

K Gee wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 16:04

The Bondi Rescue episodes don't appear to repeat.
https://www.ourguide.com.au/searcher.ph ... Fr%3DPerth

I don't watch the series, but I'm guessing only the programs shown on 10/10 HD are new episodes, and the ones shown on BOLD are repeats from some other period.
If you don't want to record the programs shown on BOLD, then alter the AutoTimer definition of Bondi Rescue and specify it to use your choice of either of 10 or 10 HD by -
  • opening the definition,
  • pressing BLUE/Edit services,
  • press LEFT/RIGHT on Editing so 'Channels' is the selected value,
  • then BLUE/New to add a service,
  • select the bouquet and then service for 10 HD, then OK to select it,
  • then GREEN/OK when back in edit AutoTimer services screen
  • then GREEN/Save to save the definition changes and parse the EPG against all of the definitions.
A popup should eventually appear show the counts for new and changed timers.

Then bring up the timer list and locate each Bondi Rescue timer on BOLD and press YELLOW/Disable on each.

[Edited to add a different method]
Here's a slightly easier way to delete the timers generated from the current AutoTimer definition in one go, but keep the definition "as is" for later editing -
  • Open the AutoTimer definition list and disable the definition for Bondi Rescue
  • Then clone the existing definition by pressing MENU>>8/Clone selected timer; the Edit AutoTimer screen opens, press Green/OK (you don't need to change its definition just yet)
  • The list now reappears with two identical entries for the Bondi Rescue definition
  • Press YELLOW/Delete on one of them - choose the 'Yes, and delete all timers generated by this autotimer' at the popup
  • Now you can edit the remaining definition -
    • Press OK to open the definition,
    • Re-enable it,
    • Restrict it to a specific service (e.g. 10 HD)
    • Press GREEN/OK to save the definition changes
  • You're now back on the definitions list. Press GREEN/Save to parse the definitions against the EPG and generate new/changed timers.

Return to “Tips & How to Guides V2”