Upside down Video on TV

Discuss anything in here as long as it doesn't offend.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Jeddie
Master

Upside down Video on TV

Post by Jeddie » Fri Oct 27, 2023 16:25

I wanted to watch some of my holiday videos (mp4) over my network on my big screen TV. Movies reside on my PC.

Some of the videos appear upside down or even sideways on the TV. They all play correctly when I watch them on my PC.

After googling I found that some (most) TV don't respect the 'rotation flag'? The answer was to re-encode the video.

Does this sound correct to you guys?

What software would I use to re-encode? And re-encode to what?

Your thoughts?

IanL-S
Master

Re: Upside down Video on TV

Post by IanL-S » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:03

My recollection is than VideoRedo has the ability to rotate - cannot find it at the moment. Unfortuantely it is no longer available.

Did a quick search and came up with the following: https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/in ... jxEALw_wcB
Apparently it is free for personal use.

I suspect that handbrake has the option - it may have been where I saw it recently.

Ian
Enjoying an active retirement "playing" with my Toppys and now Beyonwiz.
T2, U4 and V2 controlled by IceTV
Various Toppys including TRF-2400, TRF-5300 and TF7100HDPVRt Plus
For help with your Toppy checkout the oztoppy forum and the oztoppy wiki.

raymondjpg
Guru

Re: Upside down Video on TV

Post by raymondjpg » Sun Oct 29, 2023 15:24

I'd look at Avidemux https://avidemux.sourceforge.net/. It has flip options (vertical/horizontal).

It looks like maybe recompressing the video is necessary to apply the flip filter, but holiday movies are probably likely to be short anyway so not too much in the way of processing time.

Worth a try.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”