Scam International Phone Calls

Discuss anything in here as long as it doesn't offend.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Sandy B
Master

Scam International Phone Calls

Post by Sandy B » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:50

I have had over 20 calls from Estonia, St Lucia and now Croatia since Sunday morning. I think my mistake was to answer the first call on Sunday morning, but I was in my car and could not see the caller. I know it's a scam and I haven't returned any call but it gets very frustrating with this quantity of calls especially when you get them at 4.00AM.

I have noted on a Telstra site that by dialling *country number# that you can block a country out, but it does not work for me, perhaps it is that I am with Belong. Belongs only advice is;

1. Report to police: Somehow I do not think that that would do anything.
2. Block the number: They keep changing the number so that is useless.
3. Change my number; After more than 20 years with this number it is more me than my name.

I was wondering if any body else has had this experience and how they solved it. Does anybody know if they will eventually stop.

prl
Wizard God

Re: Scam International Phone Calls

Post by prl » Tue Jul 30, 2019 13:41

Sandy B wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:50
1. Report to police: Somehow I do not think that that would do anything.
2. Block the number: They keep changing the number so that is useless.
3. Change my number; After more than 20 years with this number it is more me than my name.

I was wondering if any body else has had this experience and how they solved it. Does anybody know if they will eventually stop.

4. Engage with the scammer and waste as much of their time as you can get away with. ;)
5. "Just a moment, there's something boiling over on the stove". Put phone down. Hang up 15 minutes later.

Not useful tactics at 4am, though.

Also not much good for the robocalls from "Nicole calling from the NBN", where I leave the line open until their end times out (I'm definitely not going to "press 1 to be connected to one of their technicians"), but alas that times out after only about 10 sec.

Unfortunately, the robocalls seem to be a very efficient way to run scams, because they only have to have enough call centre staff to deal with people who actively contact them back. But it robs me of the opportunity of having a friendly discussion with the caller about how Internet provision actually works in Australia.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jul 30, 2019 13:44

Sandy B wrote:

That will work right up to the point where they buy a new edition of their phone number database and have your number to feed to the autodialer once more.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

exitguy
Master

Post by exitguy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 13:58

Sandy B wrote:
I know it's a scam and I haven't returned any call but it gets very frustrating with this quantity of calls especially when you get them at 4.00AM.
Why not just switch your phone off at night and back on in the morning !!!

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Tue Jul 30, 2019 16:59

I got rid of my landline 5 years ago and on my iPhone I turn it off when I go to bed - quite late. My only overseas relative is 92 so she is not going to ring, her schtick is to ring me at 6am coffee #1 time !!!!
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Tue Jul 30, 2019 18:05

Thanks everybody for your comments and apologise for not responding earlier, it's really being one of those days as you will see below.

Apparently this scam relies on you returning the call to the overseas number and they can someway extract money by simply returning the call and keeping you on the phone. When the call comes it only rings about 3 times, so my call register is full of overseas calls now.

Belong came back to me and dispite my expressed view not to change my number, well the did change it. A dozen emails later, a call to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman and a phone call from Belong I am no closer to getting my old number back. I also find that I can not receive data on the iPhone via the 4G network.

During Belong's call to me they tried to offer a credit if I would take the new number. I quickly told them where to take that Offer.

NOT HAPPY

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jul 30, 2019 18:33

Sandy B wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 18:05
Apparently this scam relies on you returning the call to the overseas number and they can someway extract money by simply returning the call and keeping you on the phone. When the call comes it only rings about 3 times, so my call register is full of overseas calls now.

That form of scam may connect you to a Premium Service number (190x-style number) and you get charged outrageous fees for just being on the line. The WA ScamNet page on NBN scams says of the "Nicole" robocall that asks you to "press 1 to be connected to a technician":
Upon pressing 1, you are transferred to a call centre. While none of the people who reported receiving the call went past this point, you could potentially become a victim of ID theft if you provide personal information, lose your money if you agree to make a payment or possibly get charged a premium fee for the call.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jul 30, 2019 18:46

Sandy B wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 18:05
Belong came back to me and dispite my expressed view not to change my number, well the did change it. A dozen emails later, a call to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman and a phone call from Belong I am no closer to getting my old number back. I also find that I can not receive data on the iPhone via the 4G network.

During Belong's call to me they tried to offer a credit if I would take the new number. I quickly told them where to take that Offer.

:roll: Hope you can get it sorted.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Tue Jul 30, 2019 19:23

:roll: Hope you can get it sorted.

Thanks for the moral support.

Spot
Apprentice

Post by Spot » Tue Jul 30, 2019 21:03

Sandy B wrote:
I think my mistake was to answer the first call on Sunday morning, but I was in my car and could not see the caller.
I hope you were using a hands-free system while in your car? :shock:

Sandy B
Master

Post by Sandy B » Tue Jul 30, 2019 21:26

Yes I was using hands-free.

Word of warming do not make a complaint of this nature to Belong

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”