Say Yes For IceTV to Continue

Discuss the IceTV EPG and Recording Apps here

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Fester1952
Master

Re: Unhooking from IceTV and setting up auto timers.

Post by Fester1952 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 14:13

I assume you have all got the email:
Dear IceTV subscribers,

We, Amanda Lott and Tim Heesh were appointed Voluntary Administrators of the Company on 6 October 2015.

The following request has been written by the Director to the company Mr Colin O'Brien. We as administrators have continued to maintain the ICE TV service to the subscriber base since we were appointed on the 6th October 2015. We know that the service will need to be sold or licensed to another provider for it to remain operable as the company in voluntary administration cannot continue to provide the service indefinitely. Mr O'Brien, in attempting to assist the Voluntary Administrators in finding an alternative service provider, would like to know how many of the current subscribers would immediately renew their subscriptions and pay a new monthly fee if the ICE TV service was to continue. Your immediate response, by midday Tuesday 13 October 2015, will be of assistance in determining whether that service can continue to be provided.

Although we, as Voluntary Administrators are forwarding this email to you as written by Mr O'Brien, we do not express a view as to some of the personal sentiments he conveys in the message.

"To say we are sorry for the mess that has ensued is trite in the extreme but nevertheless I hope you can believe how saddened we are by the events of the past week. Our Skippa project is defunct but it may be possible to licence our complete IceTV EPG and Smart Recording service to a new party. Before we can go ahead with discussions about saving that business we must know how many current subscribers would be prepared to re-subscribe to maintain their enjoyment of the ease of use that it brings to managing TV recording. Unfortunately I must state that your current subscription value is lost although you may he able to recover the unused proportion if you used a credit provider.

Our proposal is for a monthly subscription of $7:99.

We believe our 24/7 accurate EPG data, produced in-house, and integrated smartphone apps, website and PVR hardware for just $2/week represents extremely good value.

If you would subscribe to this service we believe we can get it running so that your current EPG data and PC/Smartphone functionality will not be interrupted.

Colin."

Looks like auto timers for me then, not paying again as I am already paid up until the end of 2019!

Synology NAS DS212+
Asus RT-AC5300 Router
Beyonwiz T3 2TB, Beyonwiz T4 4TB, Humax HDR 7500 1TB
Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Samsung 55 inch UA55D8000 Series 8 LED Full HD 3D TV

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Mon Oct 12, 2015 14:21

Fester1952 wrote: Looks like auto timers for me then, not paying again as I am already paid up until the end of 2019!
Even though I'm paid up to 2019 as well, I would pay again if it was the SAME service.

tezza007
Wizard

Say Yes For IceTV to Continue

Post by tezza007 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 14:21

Dear IceTV subscribers,
We, Amanda Lott and Tim Heesh were appointed Voluntary Administrators of the Company on 6 October 2015.
The following request has been written by the Director to the company Mr Colin O'Brien. We as administrators have continued to maintain the ICE TV service to the subscriber base since we were appointed on the 6th October 2015. We know that the service will need to be sold or licensed to another provider for it to remain operable as the company in voluntary administration cannot continue to provide the service indefinitely. Mr O'Brien, in attempting to assist the Voluntary Administrators in finding an alternative service provider, would like to know how many of the current subscribers would immediately renew their subscriptions and pay a new monthly fee if the ICE TV service was to continue. Your immediate response, by midday Tuesday 13 October 2015, will be of assistance in determining whether that service can continue to be provided.
Although we, as Voluntary Administrators are forwarding this email to you as written by Mr O'Brien, we do not express a view as to some of the personal sentiments he conveys in the message.
"To say we are sorry for the mess that has ensued is trite in the extreme but nevertheless I hope you can believe how saddened we are by the events of the past week. Our Skippa project is defunct but it may be possible to licence our complete IceTV EPG and Smart Recording service to a new party. Before we can go ahead with discussions about saving that business we must know how many current subscribers would be prepared to re-subscribe to maintain their enjoyment of the ease of use that it brings to managing TV recording. Unfortunately I must state that your current subscription value is lost although you may he able to recover the unused proportion if you used a credit provider.
Our proposal is for a monthly subscription of $7:99.
We believe our 24/7 accurate EPG data, produced in-house, and integrated smartphone apps, website and PVR hardware for just $2/week represents extremely good value.
If you would subscribe to this service we believe we can get it running so that your current EPG data and PC/Smartphone functionality will not be interrupted.
Colin."
Please answer "Yes" or "No" here
Tezza

Beyonwiz T4, 1TB internal WD Green HDD, 4TB USB Portable HDD
Beyonwiz T4, 500GB 2.5" internal HD
LG 500w sound bar
LG 70UF770T LED LCD 4K 70" TV
LG Magic Remote

tezza007
Wizard

Re: Say Yes For IceTV to Continue

Post by tezza007 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 14:23

For what it would cost me to get a weekly paper for the guide, it's YES, YES, YES!!! for me
Tezza

LG 500w sound bar
LG Magic Remote

mkwilson
Master

Post by mkwilson » Mon Oct 12, 2015 14:25

Yeh, got this email too. As galling as it was that my annual subscription auto-renewed 2 weeks ago, I'd rather have continued access to their service.

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 14:25

I'm paid til 2020. Stuff mucking about with Autotimers :shock:
Tezza

LG 500w sound bar
LG Magic Remote

Rockets
Master

Post by Rockets » Mon Oct 12, 2015 14:26

It's a Yes for me. I think autotimers would have a low WAF and that's all that counts.
Rockets
Beyonwiz T3 1TB - DP-P1
Denon 3312 - Bi-Amped Epos ELS 303 Floor Standers, Athena LSC50 Centre
Samsung UA50F5000 50" LCD
Foxtel IQ2, OpenELEC NUC, AppleTV4K

Fester1952
Master

Post by Fester1952 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 14:29

I would probably consider it IF I hadn't paid up until the end of 2019, admittedly at a discounted rate, so I'm basically around $200 in the red.
Just would leave a sour taste in my mouth to have to pay all over again at the full rate.
I will certainly miss the service but I got burnt in the Solarshop collapse as well to then see the managing director
start up all over again with another solar company!
It's the workers I feel most sorry for, this type of thing happens all too often, they suffer for poor management decisions.

Synology NAS DS212+
Asus RT-AC5300 Router
Beyonwiz T3 2TB, Beyonwiz T4 4TB, Humax HDR 7500 1TB
Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Samsung 55 inch UA55D8000 Series 8 LED Full HD 3D TV

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 14:52

This will probably keep the workers in their jobs
I'm paid up til 2020, but when i see what the dismal alternative is with Autotimers, I didn't hesitate
Actually less than the cost of buying the Sunday paper for the weekly guide and a hell of a lot less hassle
Tezza

LG 500w sound bar
LG Magic Remote

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Mon Oct 12, 2015 14:54

tezza007 wrote:I'm paid til 2020.
Not any more.
Beyonwiz T4

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 14:59

Exactly
Tezza

LG 500w sound bar
LG Magic Remote

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Oct 12, 2015 15:10

I've received the email, too. As I've said before, I'd already decided my paid-up subscription was effectively gone. I intend to say that I'm interested in the new service. It's about the same cost as the full-price subscription for the "old" IceTV.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Oct 12, 2015 15:17

This is a tough one.

I am not sure I am getting enough value from it to justify something that is almost the same price as a basic Netflix subscription.

But as has been said, the Autotimers cannot compare to the set-and-forget ease of IceTV. :?
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Mon Oct 12, 2015 15:53

prl wrote:I've received the email, too. As I've said before, I'd already decided my paid-up subscription was effectively gone. I intend to say that I'm interested in the new service. It's about the same cost as the full-price subscription for the "old" IceTV.
Yes, if you've already come to terms with the loss of the subscription either way, then it just becomes a value decision on icetv for $8. I suppose the other risks are; it doesn't deliver required service (eg the new company just rebundles the FTA epg without doing the rpt flag), some key functionality is missed (eg the coming soon list) or the FTA channels make a play to stop it as they tried before and the new company doesn't have the drive to fight.
Beyonwiz T4

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Oct 12, 2015 16:06

simoncasey wrote:...
Yes, if you've already come to terms with the loss of the subscription either way, then it just becomes a value decision on icetv for $8. I suppose the other risks are; it doesn't deliver required service (eg the new company just rebundles the FTA epg without doing the rpt flag), some key functionality is missed (eg the coming soon list) or the FTA channels make a play to stop it as they tried before and the new company doesn't have the drive to fight.
If it is packaged as a $8 month-by-month subscription as suggested in the email, the risk is small.

I'm not particularly concerned about the risk of a copyright action by the FTA EPG copyright holders. The IceTV model for building the EPG received the High Court's stamp of approval. If they remember to play by those rules, I think they'll probably be OK.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Oct 12, 2015 16:27

From the "glass half empty" perspective, I've also saved PDFs of my My Week and My Series IceTV pages.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

coref1
Apprentice

Post by coref1 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 16:51

My intitial thought was "no it's not worth it" but after playing around with my T4 autotimers for about an hour I'm starting to wonder. Ice tv is so much easier, even easier then my Tivo. :?:

rfmoore
Apprentice

Post by rfmoore » Mon Oct 12, 2015 17:18

I had paid up till 2018 and I've said yes. It's so convenient. The cost of less than two cups of coffee a. Week.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Oct 12, 2015 17:31

coref1 wrote:My intitial thought was "no it's not worth it" but after playing around with my T4 autotimers for about an hour I'm starting to wonder. ...
I've been wrestling with AutoTimers since the notice about IceTV going into administration was posted on the IceTV forum last Wednesday, in an attempt to be in a position to offer people help with them. I'm still not certain I know all the ins and outs, and I haven't enjoyed the experience much.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Ozzyla

Post by Ozzyla » Mon Oct 12, 2015 18:34

What a pain in the ass, payed up for another 4 years, so much for that. I wonder where the money went? How much could it possibly cost for a web EPG?? I guess it was miss management of there Skipper PVR? On that note I just got me a new PVR and was tossing up between the Skipper and the T4, Ended up with the T4 and love it... Thank F^%# for that!

Ill hit the YES i guess but will see what happens... What a FAIL!

Oz

mkwilson
Master

Post by mkwilson » Mon Oct 12, 2015 18:39

Ozzyla wrote:What a pain in the ass, payed up for another 4 years, so much for that. I wonder where the money went? How much could it possibly cost for a web EPG?? I guess it was miss management of there Skipper PVR?
Hmmm $500k a year as a cost of doing business I guess wouldn't be unreasonable? Give or take 15%.

Yeh, the whole Skippa project looked curious to say the least, right from the outset.

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 18:44

With 10 staff I'd call that very conservative, so they're gunna need a lot of new $2pw subscribers out of the 16,000 already paid up
Tezza

LG 500w sound bar
LG Magic Remote

mkwilson
Master

Post by mkwilson » Mon Oct 12, 2015 18:47

tezza007 wrote:With 10 staff I'd call that very conservative, so they're gunna need a lot of new $2pw subscribers out of the 16,000 already paid up
Yeh, I'm workin on half that number of staff to run the EPG business only.....but you're right, it's probably still going to cost more than 500k. Depends on the identity of any potential acquirer though.

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Mon Oct 12, 2015 19:39

mkwilson wrote:...Depends on the identity of any potential acquirer though.
Channel 9? :roll: :lol:

mkwilson
Master

Post by mkwilson » Mon Oct 12, 2015 19:45

Star6key wrote:
mkwilson wrote:...Depends on the identity of any potential acquirer though.
Channel 9? :roll: :lol:
:)

I was thinking of someone who already sells complementary products.

It can't possibly work as a 100% stand alone business (given the v.short time left before projected administrators fees mean they have to pull the plug).

mister_bimbo
Master

Post by mister_bimbo » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:08

I've said "Yes" as well ...
simoncasey wrote:
prl wrote:I've received the email, too. As I've said before, I'd already decided my paid-up subscription was effectively gone. I intend to say that I'm interested in the new service. It's about the same cost as the full-price subscription for the "old" IceTV.
Yes, if you've already come to terms with the loss of the subscription either way, then it just becomes a value decision on icetv for $8.
^ This is really the key question - the $'s are already gone. So while I understand people (quite rightly) thinking that I'm paying twice for the same service, the question really is, is this worth $8 per month..?

In relation to what I've lost (probably about 4 years of subscription), I'll have a crack at recovering it via my credit card. And while on that subject, has anyone else noticed that the information on when the subscription is (was) paid up to has disappeared from the IceTV My Account section..? I was trying to find it to help figure out how much of my subscription I'd lost, but its not that difficult to reconcile.

Cheers,
David

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:12

mister_bimbo wrote: And while on that subject, has anyone else noticed that the information on when the subscription is (was) paid up to has disappeared from the IceTV My Account section..? I was trying to find it to help figure out how much of my subscription I'd lost, but its not that difficult to reconcile.

Cheers,
David
In My Account, go to My Recorders, then hover your mouse over the IceTv symbol next to the device name. :)

jlowe73
Apprentice

Post by jlowe73 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:14

Hover over the Ice TV logo to see your expiry here:

https://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/webmem ... bscription

bpratt
Master

Post by bpratt » Tue Oct 13, 2015 13:31

I'm not too badly off with my icetv subscription (August 15 2018), but it's the only reasonable way to run my PVR's that I can use my phone to program shows to record whilst out and about.

I'd like to think that they could also add in the TVSN extra channels too, or is there a way on the T4/T3 that you can tell it to use over the air epg for those specific channels, whilst keeping icetv for the others ?
Not for recording them, but so that the on screen epg is full populated.

Return to “Ice TV”