Editing and working with .ts files

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Re: Editing and working with .ts files

Post by Paul_oz53 » Wed May 23, 2018 12:14

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 09:45
The recordings play in the correct aspect ratio on the T4 and on the computer.
Are we on the same page? I am referring to recordings made by varying the T4 recording setting in Menu>>Setup>>TV>>HDMI-IN Recording settings.

I made a series of 1 minute recordings of a 1080i, 16:9 source at different resolution settings but mostly 720x576. which I played back on the T4 and the PC. These DO NOT play correctly (they are narrower than the true image) either on my PC using Pot Player or Windows Media player or on my TV using the T4 if the ratio of width to height in the chosen option is other than 1.77:1 (i.e.16:9).

That is to say, recordings made using 720x576 are squeezed horizontally. Changing the aspect ratio setting between Auto and 16:9 did not change the outcome. However, 640x360 does display in the correct aspect ratio.
If I understand correctly, the intent is to top/tail the recordings and compress them to 720x576.
The topping/tailing can be done on the T4. The compression can be done on the PC with any number of programs (e.g. VidCoder, HandBrake, Avidemux et. al.)
If we don't use VideoReDo, is there any other issue here?
Here we are agreed. Compression on a PC with software is viable.

I routinely take a .TS and cut the end off (tail) on the T4. For recordings we keep on the PC, we have often had audio sync issues if I cut the lead or ads out on the T4. I edit these on the PC. Currently, I happen to use an older version of Freemake for convenience but I also use TMPGenc V4, Handbrake, Format Factory, MKVToolNix, WinX DVD Author, NERO, Cyberlink, AVIDemux, ... Probably have others installed I've forgotten about.

If I have problems with a particular source file, I'll try other software to convert it to a format that works. failing that there's always Tixati and 1337x.

For personal use, I keep everything as MP4's but for the technologically challenged around us, DVD remains their choice of format.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed May 23, 2018 12:58

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:14
Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 09:45
The recordings play in the correct aspect ratio on the T4 and on the computer.
Are we on the same page? I am referring to recordings made by varying the T4 recording setting in Menu>>Setup>>TV>>HDMI-IN Recording settings.

I'm reading this page from bpratt's book -
bpratt wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:31
raymondjpg wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:16

It might be interesting to know if the 352x288 file (as reported by VideoReDo) plays with the correct aspect ratio on a PC.
Plays in the correct aspect ration under windows media player under Win7

You must've assumed I was reading a page from your book. :) You told me my idea of recording in 720x576 didn't work, which I accept, so I was referring back to bpratt's original 'issue', hence why I mentioned VideoReDo and compression, which I understood to be bpratt's intention with these recordings.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed May 23, 2018 13:13

I've a T4 HDMI-IN recording, that shows a different aspect ratio with VideoReDo than MediaInfo.
VideoReDo -

Code: Select all

Frame rate : 50.00 fps
                                  Encoding size : 1280 x 720
                                   Aspect ratio : -21474836.48:1
MediaInfo -

Code: Select all

Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                                   : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 50.000 FPS
PotPlayer plays this in 16:9 aspect ratio.
VideoReDo displays this in widescreen (filling the screen, like it's 2.35:1/21:9 or maybe even wider).
After editing with VideoReDo (just tailing the last 10-seconds), the new file still plays correctly in PotPlayer. When opening that edited file in VideoReDo, it's back to the mega-widescreen display. The edited file displays in the correct aspect ratio using Avidemux (with audio, see below).

I opened the unedited HDMI-IN recording using Avidemux, it displays in the correct aspect ratio (but it doesn't have audio). I opened it with VideoReDo, saved it (remuxed), and then this time Avidemux had audio when opening the remuxed file.

I can't test with TS-Doctor since I've already trialled it many moons ago and so can't do it again.

bpratt
Master

Post by bpratt » Wed May 23, 2018 14:00

I'm recording in the maximum resolution that I can get across, just in case there's something I want at a higher resolution.... nothing worse that doing a recording in too low a resolution... you can't add that resolution back in to it, where you can drop the resolution later on. :)

Just working on one of these files with the demo of ts-doctor, that was completely out of audio sync after running it through videoredo, but which downloaded on to computer as 1280x720.

Sounds like there are some issues with recording through hdmi-in, or perhaps how the T4 in this case, records stuff.

Thank you everyone for your ongoing help and assistance here.

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Wed May 23, 2018 14:29

Any possibility of posting an example file? When the audio goes out of sync is it fixed by a certain time or does it vary over the course of the recording? Has anyone demuxed the TS file into it's audio, video and subtitle components? Then attempted to remux in a video editing program?
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

bpratt
Master

Post by bpratt » Wed May 23, 2018 14:55

netmask wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 14:29
Any possibility of posting an example file? When the audio goes out of sync is it fixed by a certain time or does it vary over the course of the recording? Has anyone demuxed the TS file into it's audio, video and subtitle components? Then attempted to remux in a video editing program?
15Gb file is probably a tad too big to post. :)

I guess that's one thing I should try, dmux it in to components.

videredo is telling me there quite a number of video and audio errors, and that's when the resultant video comes up with audio out of sync.... out by I guess around a full second or more

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Wed May 23, 2018 17:24

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:58

I'm reading this page from bpratt's book -
bpratt wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:31
raymondjpg wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:16

It might be interesting to know if the 352x288 file (as reported by VideoReDo) plays with the correct aspect ratio on a PC.
Plays in the correct aspect ration under windows media player under Win7

You must've assumed I was reading a page from your book. :) You told me my idea of recording in 720x576 didn't work, which I accept, so I was referring back to bpratt's original 'issue', hence why I mentioned VideoReDo and compression, which I understood to be bpratt's intention with these recordings.
Hi GG,

It's odd that bpratt says that the aspect ratio plays as correct at 352x288 in WMP under Win7. I got the squashed width when I recorded a test at 320x288. (There is no 352 width option in the available T4 presets.) I'll hazard a guess and say that it is simply VideoReDo misreading the resolution. I toyed with TS-Doctor and VideReDo but I baulked at paying for them when there are free tools that serve my needs. It is my experience that some software does misread the occasional file and then produces the wrong output. If I have the source available, I usually try other packages but if it looks unusable then I re-record it or resort to other methods of getting a copy.

And yes, we were on different pages. Glad to resolve the difference. I note bpratt records at the highest resolution as do I and for the same reason - to preserve quality. I'm not into watching smaller screens so I usually keep everything as 1280x720 MP4s.
Denon AVR -X2400H

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Wed May 30, 2018 17:34

From an encounter today I think I finally know what bpratt experienced. Some video processing software misreads the format of some HDMI-IN recordings. The recording is not 352x288 at all, merely reported and processed as though it were.

Today, I went to convert an HDMI-IN (1280x720 60 fps) recording to DVD using Freemake Video Converter. Freemake insists it is 352x288 and tried to process it as a 4:3 aspect ratio. The result was a poor quality mess. Misshapen, badly pixellated, unwatchable video.

However, the source is shown as 1280x720 59.94 fps by Pot Player, VLC and Mediainfo and plays back correctly on the T4, U4, VLC and PotPlayer. (Note the discrepancy in the framerate.) So it is the video processing software misreading the file.

I then remuxed the .TS into an MKV with MKVToolNix GUI.exe. This saw the input as 1280x720 59.94 and produced the expected MKV with the same output resolution. Remuxing appears on a sample of 1 to be a viable option if this problem recurs.

Loading this into Freemake worked. A DVD was produced in the correct aspect ratio with a bearable loss of quality. Sadly, my mate is such a technophobe that any idea of upgrading his setup to read MP4's or MKVs from a USB device is utter heresy!
Denon AVR -X2400H

bpratt
Master

Post by bpratt » Wed May 30, 2018 17:58

Yep, that's pretty much what I was starting to work out for myself.

I'm now using videoredo to do an initial processing, and output it to the end size that I want (usually 720x576), and do the editing on the resultant file.

I do 1270x720 the same way if it comes up with that weird resolution issue, and things so far seem to be working for me now.

Return to “Content, Formats & Media Playback”