My V2 recording won't open on the PC

Moderators: Gully, peteru

The Old Man
Master

My V2 recording won't open on the PC

Post by The Old Man » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:26

I wanted to edit a recording made by my V2. Since I haven't gotten my network up and running I tried unplugging my HDD from the V2 & plugged it into my PC. Nothing happens other than the sound recognizing that something is plugged into a USB port.

What's the probem? Is it a case of the V2 being in a format that the PC doesn't recognize?

Is there any other way to get this file off of the V2 for editing on the PC?

And while I think of it I know that the cut list editor can frim the begining and end of a recorded file but can you also remove unwanted parts in the middle of the file?

The Old Man
Master

Re: My V2 recording won't open on the PC

Post by The Old Man » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:30

Another last minute thought should I be able to transfer file to an SD card and then use it on the PC?

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Wed Feb 22, 2023 13:39

What format is the V2 HDD? NTFS or EXT4 etc? You could plug an USB stick into it and transfer the file. Not sure about the SD card
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Wed Feb 22, 2023 15:36

I can't say what format the HDD used at the moment because the PC won't let me see the files.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Feb 22, 2023 16:01

The Old Man wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 15:36
I can't say what format the HDD used at the moment because the PC won't let me see the files.

Did you format the HDD on the V2 when you first got it? If so, it's formatted as ext4, which can't be read on Windows without third-party software.

If it was a new HDD and you didn't format it on the V2, it will have whatever it was formatted as at the factory, probably NTFS.

But the fact that it can't be accessed on Windows suggests that it was formatted as ext4.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 16:37

The Old Man wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:26
I wanted to edit a recording made by my V2. Since I haven't gotten my network up and running I tried unplugging my HDD from the V2 & plugged it into my PC. Nothing happens other than the sound recognizing that something is plugged into a USB port.

What's the probem? Is it a case of the V2 being in a format that the PC doesn't recognize?

Is there any other way to get this file off of the V2 for editing on the PC?

And while I think of it I know that the cut list editor can frim the begining and end of a recorded file but can you also remove unwanted parts in the middle of the file?
To edit on the V2 with cutlist editor, follow these instructions .

To get the recording to a PC, insert an NTFS USB stick with plenty of spare space in a spare USB port, highlight the file in Media and use "Copy" from Media >> Menu >> Copy to make a copy of the highlighted file.

Before removing the USB, exit to live TV and select Menu >> Plugins >> SimpleUmount.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Wed Feb 22, 2023 17:23

I was hoping to do just what you suggested but I now have an even more serious problem. When I go to my V2 I can't find my movie folder that has all of my recordings. It used to be a sub menu of HDD if I recall correctly.

I then went to see if there was a system restore but there isn't one. I have already clicked on EVERY folder and any sub menu folders they might have but I can't find any movie folder.

Any ideas?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Feb 22, 2023 17:47

The Old Man wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 17:23
I then went to see if there was a system restore but there isn't one. I have already clicked on EVERY folder and any sub menu folders they might have but I can't find any movie folder.

Any ideas?
You need to make sure that you reboot the V2 as well so that the drive is correctly mapped as the "HDD".
Otherwise, the drive is just mounted in the default location as generic storage.

If you are using the USB HDD as your primary storage on the V2, then I would always recommend making sure the V2 is in deep standby any time you want to unplug or plug in the USB HDD. It will save on the V2 getting confused when the effective carpet is pulled out from under it.

That's all assuming the HDD is still working that is. It's not a variety that needs external power is it?

And to reiterate what was said earlier, no the PC can't read the disk if it was properly formatted in the V2, since Windows can't read from ext4 formatted partitions.
On a Windows PC, you would need to open the "Disk Management" tool in the control panel to inspect the partitions on the disk. You can't read the data on the disk still, but you can verify that the disk is detected, and has partition information on it.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Feb 24, 2023 02:26

prl wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 16:01
But the fact that it can't be accessed on Windows suggests that it was formatted as ext4.

And that is a good thing. You don't want your Beyonwiz drive to be NTFS - it will lead to trouble eventually.

You can attach another USB drive that is formatted as NTFS to your Beyonwiz and use the built-in file manager to copy your files to that drive so they can be transferred to the PC. The file manager can be accessed through the Sources / Files main menu entry in the right most column.

Once you do that, make sure you unmount the USB drive before disconnecting it. You will find an entry named Simple Umount in the left most column of the main menu that will allow you to do this.

8192_0_1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_20230224032027.jpg
Main Menu
8192_0_1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_20230224032027.jpg (28.34 KiB) Viewed 1444 times

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:09

Thanks again for the reply even though it didn't help.

It seems that somehow I completely stuffed up the V2's file system. I have plugged in a 1Tb SSD drive stick into my TV's MHL ARC socket. I can see the file commander OK. From the left hans side I can see the files I wish to transfer but on the right hand side there all I can see 3 files, Internal Frash,DLNA V2 (back Slot). None of these or there sub folders makes no mention of my T7 1TB NTFS formatted portable SSD drive.

It seem like I might need to completly reset the V2 is some way that restores it's original file structure. Is this possible without the loss of my files?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:16

The Old Man wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:09
I can see the file commander OK. From the left hans side I can see the files I wish to transfer but on the right hand side there all I can see 3 files, Internal Frash,DLNA V2 (back Slot). None of these or there sub folders makes no mention of my T7 1TB NTFS formatted portable SSD drive.

Quite possibly because it's plugged into the TV whereas it should be plugged into the V2 if you want to copy files to it using File Commander -
The Old Man wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:09
I have plugged in a 1Tb SSD drive stick into my TV's MHL ARC socket.

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Sat Feb 25, 2023 16:10

How do I transfer off files from the V2 via USB since this would require 2 plugs and the V2 only has one? Or do I need a splitter to do this?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Feb 25, 2023 16:55

The Old Man wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 16:10
How do I transfer off files from the V2 via USB since this would require 2 plugs and the V2 only has one? Or do I need a splitter to do this?

There's 2 x USB ports.
If you've also got a USB tuner connected then shutdown the V2 and remove the tuner, then start up the V2 and do the file copies. Re-connect the tuner once finished and restart the V2.
Or use a USB hub.

Fandangles
Apprentice

Post by Fandangles » Sun Feb 26, 2023 16:14

Just make sure the USB hub has its own power supply if you are going to be plugging things into it to copy on to. You never know what you may be plugging in that may need more power than the v2 can supply.

I access mine by plugging the network port of my v2 either straight into the back of the router temporarily (and of course, setting up the network interface) to copy things off or I plug a short cable into the back of my wireless extender and do it that way.

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Sun Feb 26, 2023 16:48

I have now successfully transfer files off the V2 to portable SSD, edit file and then sent them back once done.

My next problem will be getting my PC to talk directly to the V2 as I still haven't gotten my Network up and running,

I know what my V2 says is my network name, but I am uncertain as to where to enter it on the PC. I think that what I need to do is perhaps take my web address and change the last number, correct?

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sun Feb 26, 2023 22:05

If you have a properly set up network, then a Windows PC should just see the Beyonwiz as a device on the network. There's nothing you need to do, except open the link that shows in File Explorer, under Network.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Return to “Content, Formats & Media Playback”