Recordings on 9HD via IceTV show as GEM on Timers list

Moderators: Gully, peteru

simoncasey
Wizard

Re: Recordings on 9HD via IceTV show as GEM on Timers list

Post by simoncasey » Fri Jan 01, 2016 19:41

prl wrote:
Paul_oz53 wrote:... Still have to manually edit GEM to 9HD despite the latest firmware. Since I can be a bit OCD it irritates when something is not quite right.
This problem is caused because the definition of a channel that IceTV sends when setting a timer doesn't have enough information in it to correctly distinguish whether it's a timer for 9HD or for the old GEM.

Some sorts of re-scans that successfully find 9HD don't clear out the definitions for the old GEM out of the scan files, and so it's not possible to determine whether the search for a Beyonwiz serviceref that matches the timer channel data has returned the correct serviceref.

Early on in the discussion of this problem, some people noted that some specific sorts of re-scans in the original firmware changed the incorrect "GEM" in new timers to blank. It's possible that the same kind of scan will get rid of the GEM entries in new timers and replace it with 9HD.

I think that the scans that did this were ones done in MENU>Setup>Tuners>Manual scan, with "Clear before scan" set to yes, but I can't recall the exact settings necessary, and I'm not able to test this behaviour, because WIN Canberra is not yet broadcasting 9HD.
I think that "Clear before scan" set to yes is the correct scan. Doing that will result in GEM being removed from lamedb and then IceTV timers will work Ok. However, it does mean you have to recreate your favourites again so it isn't ideal.

The other option that works is to edit lamedb manually as I did on the above posts with prl's advice. This is obviously more fraught with error than a rescan, but is quite simple and allows you to sort out the problem without having to rescan.
In the description, when I refer to GEM, I mean the old GEM that has been replaced by 9HD, not the new 9Gem.
My instructions based on the process I used from a Windows PC:
1. Browse to the BW on the network and go to root\etc\enigma2 and locate the file lamedb
2. Open the file using a text editor that support unix. Do not use notepad or wordpad etc. I use EditPad lite which is the free version of EditPad pro.
3. Search for a reference to the old GEM. It will look something like this:

Code: Select all

0431:eeee0000:0430:1012:1:0
GEM
p:Nine Network Australia,c:000201,c:020241,c:030081,c:04028a,c:050001
The key bit is the 0431...0430...1012. This is region dependent (these are the numbers for Melbourne), but they are the same for old GEM and 9HD so IceTV doesn't provide enough info to differentiate between the two channels. Having both the GEM and 9HD reference in your lamedb is causing the problem.
4. Close lamedb and now you are ready to edit.
5. Back on the BW menus, any existing GEM timers should be manually changed to 9HD prior to editing lamedb, otherwise they will end up with a blank channel.
6. Confirm that GEM does not exist in any of your existing bouquets
7. Confirm that no timers are currently running or due to start
8. Go into Setup and backup your settings in case you stuff up and need to reflash your firmware
9. Telnet to the Beyonwiz from your PC. I used Windows Telnet (it's an optional install). To connect to the BW enter "open 192.168.1.xxx" (substitute the IP address of your BW) and then enter "root" as the login. There's also telnet apps for ipads that can be used.
10 Shutdown the GUI by entering "init 4" in Telnet, you should see the BW GUI stop. Keep telnet open.
11 Edit and save lamedb by removing the three lines identified in step 3 above using the text editor. Make sure to remove just those three lines and not to leave any blank lines
12 In telnet, restart the BW by entering "init 3". You should see the BW restart normally.
13 You can now close telnet on your PC. ("exit" to log off of the BW and the "quit" to exit Telnet)

If you create a timer in IceTV, then the timer should arrive on 9HD.
Last edited by simoncasey on Tue Jan 05, 2016 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
Beyonwiz T4

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Re: Recordings on 9HD via IceTV show as GEM on Timers list

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 18:32

Works as advertised. Only wrinkle was closing Telnet. Google soon had that sorted.

Now a very happy camper.
Paul
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

Return to “General Topics”