T2 Blue Screen - not recoverable

Moderators: Gully, peteru

celicasx
Master

T2 Blue Screen - not recoverable

Post by celicasx » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:35

Bugger! Well after less than 24 hours of playing with the T2, I've now got an unrecoverable blue screen.

Was using Dreamplex plugin and trying various media (which it wasn't doing very well with generally) when one file stopped playing and froze the unit. Tried powering off with the remote, short press and long press to no avail. Resorted to powering it off at the rear switch. For good measure I also removed the power cord and then plugged it back in after around a minute and only received a plain blue screen.

Grabbed the USB stick that BW sent through with their firmware and turned it back off and back on again with the USB stick in the front port, but still no change. Only receive the Blue screen.

Can confirm the HDMi is working, can't access via Webif etc etc.

Anyone have any clues, except for contacting support on Monday?

Regards
Rob
I love my Toppy, but now I want one of these! Scratch that... now I've got one!

prl
Wizard God

Re: T2 Blue Screen - not recoverable

Post by prl » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:44

celicasx wrote:...
Grabbed the USB stick that BW sent through with their firmware and turned it back off and back on again with the USB stick in the front port, but still no change. Only receive the Blue screen.
Have you used that USB stick to do an upgrade from before? Some of the USB sticks that Beyonwiz distributed recently seem to have had problems.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

celicasx
Master

Post by celicasx » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:46

Yes, it was used yesterday to do its initial firmware update, prior to setting anything up. Also tried the most recent firmware in it, but the results are the same.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:52

celicasx wrote:...
Have you unplugged the USB tuner at the same time as you're attempting to reload the firmware? I've seen it reported it can stop the flash drive from being detected.

Cheers,
Geoff

celicasx
Master

Post by celicasx » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:55

Yeah, that's not even been connected yet. Only the 2 base tuners.

No other USB devices are attached. Also, right now, the MATV cable's not attached to the unit, only because it was passing though the signal to the TV. But whether it was attached or not didn't make a difference.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:57

Have you tried both the front and rear USB ports for the upgrade USB stick?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

celicasx
Master

Post by celicasx » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:19

Just tried it with a new stick and using the back port. Still no change.

Methinks I have a brick! Will be going out for several hours soon. I'll unplug it and see if, by some miracle, it recovers.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:21

I agree. Time to contact support.

If you're not getting the big Beyonwiz button from the boot loader on the screen, the problem isn't just a dodgy plugin.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

malcolmt
On probation

Post by malcolmt » Sat Oct 17, 2015 13:16

Hi,

FYI, I've just lodged a support request this afternoon for a very similar issue.....

"My brand new T2 1tb was delivered on Thursday. Seemed to be working OK but it will now not power up. This happened immediately after I had shut it down and powered off to connect the third usb tuner. Then powered on and only got a dark blue screen for a few seconds then black, not the beyonwiz splash screen. Waited quite a few minutes but it would not boot up. Have tried numerous times to no avail, now only black screen. Disk drive is spinning. No network connection via android app. A bit more information for you..... During initial set up out of the box, had ethernet cable plugged in, was prompted for online update – said no; was prompted to format disk, took a long time stuck at 95%? after half an hour so powered the unit off; would not upgrade firmware from the usb – tried front and back usb but it would not update – just went into normal operation; after connecting ethernet prompted for online firmware update – said yes – downloaded updates and seemed to complete OK although there was no message on screen to say that – system information said that firmware was the latest 31/8/15. Everything seemed to be working OK until I added the USB tuner. Have searched forums looking for answers and tried numerous power cycles with USB tuner removed and with usb firmware stick in front and back. At the moment it is a “brick” with black screen on TV"

Fingers crossed for a quick fix from support, or tips from your learned selves.

Malcolm.
Vic. Beyonwiz T2, S1, P1

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Oct 17, 2015 14:40

The blue screen is probably generated by your TV. The T2 should not output a blue screen. If there is a software problem, you should either get no signal or a black screen. Similarly, hardware issues will generally result in no signal. When you power on with the rear switch, what does the front panel LED do overt the next minute or so, are there any changes in it's brightness? (You may need to watch the LED from very close up to notice.)

Based on the symptoms you see, I would suggest that you examine the physical connections to the T2 and TV, especially HDMI, in case there is an issue and the connection got disrupted while you were reaching to the rear power switch. Check both ends, just in case.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Sat Oct 17, 2015 14:49

peteru wrote:The blue screen is probably generated by your TV. The T2 should not output a blue screen. If there is a software problem, you should either get no signal or a black screen. Similarly, hardware issues will generally result in no signal. When you power on with the rear switch, what does the front panel LED do overt the next minute or so, are there any changes in it's brightness? (You may need to watch the LED from very close up to notice.)

Based on the symptoms you see, I would suggest that you examine the physical connections to the T2 and TV, especially HDMI, in case there is an issue and the connection got disrupted while you were reaching to the rear power switch. Check both ends, just in case.
I agree that the blue screen sounds like it is from a tv. It could be a cable or a handshake issue. Of course it could be the T2 has a problem but but is definitely worth checking the connection first especially as the T2 doesn't have a front display.
The other thing to try is to connect the T2 to the TV with component video, to rule out an hdmi issue.
Beyonwiz T4

celicasx
Master

Post by celicasx » Sat Oct 17, 2015 19:39

In my case, I can confirm it's not the TV outputting any blue screen but the TV. My TV (LG) displays messages noting that there's no active inputs when it receives no signal. I'd already confirmed it wasn't HDMI related (swapped cables, bypassed the receiver etc.). Tried a component connection (without HDMI connected) with the same blue screen result. When it's turned on, I wouldn't call it a black screen, but a very dark grey displays for a split second and then is replaced by the blue screen.

No front LED's show at all on the front panel, and to be honest I can't remember seeing them lit up when it was working fine. I remember noting to myself that it would be difficult to tell if it was on or not.

There is some light activating when it turns on from inside the unit, but this looks like it's HDD related.

Serin

Post by Serin » Sat Oct 17, 2015 21:07

I've just joined the blue screen brigade after less than 2 hours of use. My T2 arrived yesterday and I set it up a few hours ago, all looked good with software upgrade etc. Powered down, added the third tuner (USB) and figured I'd play with it some more tomorrow. Decided to download the WizOS app and discovered I needed the IP address, so powered up the T2 again but couldn't get past the blue screen. Removed the third tuner, but hasn't made any difference. The screen is definitely generated by the T2. My TV shows a black screen with a little floating box saying "no input" when the T2 is off. When turned on again the screen goes plain black, then a few seconds later turns blue and stays that way until the T2 is turned off again. After waiting months for the Skippa, only to be totally rorted by IceTV and then paying out more cash to get the T2, only to have it brick itself within hours, I am really NOT HAPPY.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Oct 17, 2015 23:13

I wonder if some of the USB drives that Beyonwiz are sending out with the T2 units are problematic. There was one report of problems that was tracked back to a bad USB drive.

I'm sure that Beyonwiz will be able to sort you out. They are very good with customer service.

If you want to try and fix things over the weekend, you could try the following. You will need an oldish USB drive - one that is USB1.1 compatible. You will be looking for a USB drive that is probably somewhere between 128MB and 2GB. It could be labelled as USB or USB2.0 or USB2 High Speed, which is mostly OK. On the other hand, most of the larger drives, such as 8GB and bigger or drives labelled as USB3.0 or SuperSpeed are unlikely to work. If you have an old USB1.1 hub (often found in keyboards) you could plug your drive into the hub and see if it works with your computer. If it does, it's probably USB1.1 compatible. To recap, you need one of your old "bottom of the bag" USB drives.

* Connect the USB drive to a computer and format it as FAT32, if it isn't already.
* Download http://feeds.beyonwiz.org/beyonwiz-t2-b ... 240322.zip
* Unzip the bootloader to the USB drive. You should end up with a beyonwiz directory at the top level. This is now your T2 bootloader update USB drive.
* "Safely remove" the USB drive from your computer.
* Power off the T2 with the rear switch.
* Disconnect everything from the T2, except for power cable and HDMI cable.
* Insert USB drive firmly in rear USB port.
* Power on the T2 and make sure that you do not toggle power on/off with the bootloader update USB drive connected. Cycling power too quickly is almost guaranteed to brick your T2 and recovery will require the device to be sent back to Sydney.
* Watch the front panel LED and the connected TV. Report your observations here. We are interested in any colours or images shown on the TV screen and also in the brightness and blinking rate of the front panel LED.
* Wait at least 180 seconds.
* Power off the T2 with the rear switch, disconnect the USB drive.
* Wait at least 30 seconds.
* Power on with the rear switch, with everything still disconnected, except for power and HDMI cables.
* Wait at least 180 seconds, again observing the TV and front panel LED.

Those steps should be enough to get you back to a state where the bootloader is working and shows the boot splash screen with Beyonwiz logo very soon after the power is turned on. If not, then the next step would be to get on the phone to Beyonwiz on Monday and talk to them.

If you do get as far as being able to see the boot logo, then the next step is to do a firmware upgrade to the current release candidate. The steps for this are simple:

* Take your T2 bootloader update USB drive and delete the beyonwiz directory that was used for the bootloader update.
* Download http://feeds.beyonwiz.org/beyonwiz-4.4- ... 14_usb.zip
* Unzip the firmware to the USB drive. You should end up with a beyonwiz directory at the top level. This is now your T2 firmware update USB drive.
* Power off the T2 with the rear switch, and disconnect all USB devices.
* Connect the T2 firmware update USB drive to the rear USB port.
* Power on the T2 with the rear switch.
* After a few seconds the front panel LED should start blinking and the TV should show a picture that asks you to press the UP arrow on the front panel to apply the firmware upgrade.
* Press the UP arrow - you only have a few seconds to do this from the time the front panel LED starts blinking.
* The firmware upgrade will start. This can take up to 20 minutes if your USB drive is slow. During this time the USB drive light will go on and off and the blinking rate of the front panel may change. The TV should also show images that indicate what is happening.
* At the end of a successful firmware upgrade, you will be prompted to disconnect the USB drive and press the POWER key on the front panel.
* If the firmware update does not complete after 40 minutes, turn off the power with the rear switch, disconnect the USB drive and call Beyonwiz support on Monday.

Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Oct 18, 2015 09:12

peteru wrote:I wonder if some of the USB drives that Beyonwiz are sending out with the T2 units are problematic. There was one report of problems that was tracked back to a bad USB drive.
Celicasx said that he'd used the same USB drive successfully for a previous update: "Yes, it [USB thumb drive] was used yesterday to do its initial firmware update, prior to setting anything up."

It doesn't completely rule out a dodgy drive, though.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

celicasx
Master

Post by celicasx » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:54

Great news! The bootloader appears to have fixed the issue. Thanks (Legendary) Peteru! :D

Serin & malcolmt - might be worth trying this process to see if it can be recovered.

Might also be worthwhile setting up a new sticky post for times when the bootloader recovery might be worth running through.

Used an (older) 1GB Sandisk USB that I had lying around. Can't categorically say that the USB that BW supplied was part of the issue as I didn't run through the recovery using it. Will have to keep it to one side to try recovering with it if the need ever arises.

Have had one crash/reboot after the recovery, which came about after fiddling with auto-timers, but apart from that everything seems to be working reasonably well.

Regards, and thanks again
Rob

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:45

celicasx wrote:Great news! The bootloader appears to have fixed the issue. Thanks (Legendary) Peteru! :D
Great News and Thanks indeed! It is a bit of a worry for me as a brand new owner of a T2 to see a number of these issues cropping up at about the same time.

I couldn't find a link to the T2 bootloader on the Beyonwiz download page. I saw one for the T3.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

celicasx
Master

Post by celicasx » Sun Oct 18, 2015 15:21

Earlier up in peteru's post. Ensure you follow the instructions for the use of it.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sun Oct 18, 2015 15:37

prl wrote:Celicasx said that he'd used the same USB drive successfully for a previous update: "Yes, it [USB thumb drive] was used yesterday to do its initial firmware update, prior to setting anything up."

It doesn't completely rule out a dodgy drive, though.
I'm thinking that the drive may not be physically suspect, but perhaps the contents are. Or both.

Either way, it seems that this particular issue is resolvable if the users follow the steps I listed, which is really the thing that counts. 8)

Blog.

malcolmt
On probation

Post by malcolmt » Sun Oct 18, 2015 16:56

He's NOT dead Jim!

Thank you so much Peteru for taking the time to help us out.

Found an old 64mb usb for the bootloader then a 4gbSandisk Cruzer Blade for the firmware.

Update of bootloader and RC firmware was fast and without problem.

Third usb tuner connected OK too.

Regards,

Malcolm.
Vic. Beyonwiz T2, S1, P1

Serin

Post by Serin » Sun Oct 18, 2015 17:37

Thankyou Peteru, you are an absolute champion! My T2 has returned from the dead :)

roba

Post by roba » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:27

Didn't work for me. My T2 lasted an hour:

1. Turned it on. Surprised that there was no LED indicating power on. Could hear HDD spinning though. So LED doesn't work. Strike 1.
2. System worked though, went through setup, etc.
3. System upgraded itself from the Internet.
4. Played around a bit. Set up a timer. Edited the timer. Machine locked up trying to edit timer. Strike 2.
5. Turned off system (back switch - front did nothing). Turned back on.
6. Blue screen. Strike 3.

Firmware did nothing. Followed instructions exactly. Twice. Still blue screen. As the LED doesn't seem to work, got no feedback.

This thing really is looking like a piece of junk right now (excuse my frustration).

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Oct 20, 2015 13:42

Hi Roba,

If the solutions posted in this thread did not work for you then it is possible that you have a faulty unit.

Rather than feed your frustration get in touch with Beyonwiz and seek their assistance.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Oct 20, 2015 15:16

IanSav wrote:... Rather than feed your frustration get in touch with Beyonwiz and seek their assistance. ...
+1
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

roba

Post by roba » Tue Oct 20, 2015 15:20

Thanks, I did raise a ticket with support. I wait for Beyonwiz's response.

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Tue Oct 20, 2015 16:57

Phone them!

Serin

Post by Serin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 20:16

Well, my T2 worked up til tonight. It's now totally dead, no LED and no noise from the hard drive. It was turned off normally last night, then tonight when we tried to turn it on, there was absolutely no response. I'm starting to think there is a batch of faulty units, as all of us that are having problems seem to have received them in the last week.

Wiz HQ
Site Admin

Post by Wiz HQ » Thu Oct 22, 2015 22:14

We will report back soon but basically it is not that the units are faulty, it is that the external 12V power supplies that are the problem, this is still not fully confirmed but if it is we already have replacements on the way, if our hardware guys come back with the confirmation, which at this stage is looking highly likely, we will send out new power supplies to everyone who has purchased a T2 at no cost, this will happen towards the end of next week. There is no danger in using the current ones, it just looks like they are under-powered to handle dual record plus USB tuner plus external drive.

We will make an official announcement as soon as we know more..

Wiz HQ
Forum Admin
Regards,

Wiz HQ
Forum Admin

Serin

Post by Serin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 13:52

Thanks for the update. Is there any way to get my T2 working again in the meantime?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Oct 23, 2015 16:40

Serin wrote:Thanks for the update. Is there any way to get my T2 working again in the meantime?
WizHQ wrote:it just looks like they are under-powered to handle dual record plus USB tuner plus external drive
If you're using an external HDD that's powered from the T2's USB port, try powering it from a powered USB hub. If that doesn't fix it (or you're not in that situation), see if your recording load can be handled by just the internal tuners.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Oct 23, 2015 16:43

What prl is implying here is "Unplug all of your USB devices and see if the T2 boots up".

If that works, then take the measures he describes.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Oct 23, 2015 16:47

MrQuade wrote:What prl is implying here is "Unplug all of your USB devices and see if the T2 boots up". ...
Actually, prl hadn't though of that. But it's a good idea :D
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Serin

Post by Serin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 18:30

I have nothing plugged in except power and HDMI and still cant get it to even turn on. I dont have any other 12V power supplies so can't check if that is the problem. Looks like I will be waiting for a new power supply to be shipped out, and hope that will fix the problem :/

Wiz HQ
Site Admin

Post by Wiz HQ » Fri Oct 23, 2015 21:16

Serin wrote:I have nothing plugged in except power and HDMI and still cant get it to even turn on. I dont have any other 12V power supplies so can't check if that is the problem. Looks like I will be waiting for a new power supply to be shipped out, and hope that will fix the problem :/
Open a support request and I will send out one of the current PSUs on Monday, I will then replace that one when the newer ones arrive.
Regards,

Wiz HQ
Forum Admin

NedIS
Master

Post by NedIS » Sat Oct 24, 2015 06:38

Just for something to try until your new power supply arrives! Try using a different HDMI cable!
I had an extra long one that caused my pc to appear dead on occasions!

Return to “General Topics”