Alternate T4 IR Codes for Harmony Remotes

Moderators: Gully, peteru

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Alternate T4 IR Codes for Harmony Remotes

Post by MrQuade » Sun Jun 21, 2015 02:54

This thread is mostly a question about getting the T4 working with the Logitech Harmony remotes prior to Logitech entering an official T4 into their database.

I thought I might try to figure out what an "HDx" remote would control in real life.
The best I could find was the Venton Unibox HD series (HD1, HD2, HD3). These appeared to have a remote that matched the picture in the T4's setup menus.
When I entered the HD1, HD2, and HD3 into the Harmony, and set the T4 to HDx mode, none of those command sets actually worked. Bummer.

So is there an actual real life device that I can trick the Harmony into thinking it is controlling?
I'd rather not set the T4 to use the T3's codes, as they both currently live in the same cabinet. I just need two alternate sets that the Harmony knows.
(I know I can just teach the Harmony one key at a time, but UNGH!!!!) ;)

Also. I noticed recently that some remotes in the Logitech Harmony database support a concept of "other device versions". I think that means that the database can deal with devices that accept a range of different remotes. It would be nice if the T3/T4 Harmony device database entries allowed for all of the possible remotes as different versions. Maybe that's an abuse of the feature.

My second query is about discrete power codes for the T3/T4.

Now, in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=9111&p=122249&hilit=coffee#p122249

The 0xC0FFEE code was referenced as a "wake from deep standby" code, but only from deep standby, I presume that means that 0xC0FFEE will not wake the T3/T4 from regular standby.

Looking at keymap.xml:
https://bitbucket.org/beyonwiz/easy-ui- ... ?at=master

I see there are commands for "discrete_on" and "discrete_off". I don't know how to follow the source code further to determine what the actual IR codes that correspond to those command are. Can anyone help there?

Can 0xC0FFEE be mapped to "discrete_on" so that the 0xC0FFEE works from both deep standby and regular standby?

And if we then have the code for "discrete_off", we can finally program proper on/off codes into our Universal remotes for the T3/T4.

If that all works, perhaps Logitech can then be cajoled into adding those codes into their database for all Harmony users to benefit from.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Re: Alternate T4 IR Codes for Harmony Remotes

Post by prl » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:10

MrQuade wrote:...
I thought I might try to figure out what an "HDx" remote would control in real life.
The best I could find was the Venton Unibox HD series (HD1, HD2, HD3). These appeared to have a remote that matched the picture in the T4's setup menus.
When I entered the HD1, HD2, and HD3 into the Harmony, and set the T4 to HDx mode, none of those command sets actually worked. Bummer.
I've never tried those codes on the T4. However, I'm pretty sure I used our Harmony 785 with the Unibox HD3 codes on a pre-production T3 without any problems. I'm currently using the 785 with T3 codes on our T4, but it's the only T series in the cabinet. My "farm" of test machines is sitting on my desk and I ry to remember to only have one of them powered on at a time.

I'll have a play round with the HD3 in my 785 and see if I can make it work on something. Even if it can only be made to work on the T3, that would still get around your problem.
MrQuade wrote:... Also. I noticed recently that some remotes in the Logitech Harmony database support a concept of "other device versions". I think that means that the database can deal with devices that accept a range of different remotes. It would be nice if the T3/T4 Harmony device database entries allowed for all of the possible remotes as different versions. Maybe that's an abuse of the feature.
Given that even the remote control codesetting section of the manual only mentions using the T4 remote to control other Beyonwiz models, and there's no mention of the ability to choose the remote codeset used by the T3/T4 IR receiver anywhere in the manual (I think the ability was added after the manual was finalised) that it's rather more that I don't think it's ever really been got across to Beyonwiz that some people have more than one of their devices in the same room.
MrQuade wrote:I've already expressed my wish that all "native" Beyonwiz codesets (T3 0xABCD, T3 0x, T4 0x02F2, T4 0x02F3 T4 0x02F4) should be available in the database, and also include the discrete on codes (as discussed below).

My second query is about discrete power codes for the T3/T4.

Now, in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=9111&p=122249&hilit=coffee#p122249

The 0xC0FFEE code was referenced as a "wake from deep standby" code, but only from deep standby, I presume that means that 0xC0FFEE will not wake the T3/T4 from regular standby.
I'm pretty sure that code isn't in the easy-ui-4 repository. It may well even be split between the front panel code and the rc libraries. Peteru will probably be able to answer this.

The enigma2 code that sets the RC code set does it by writing to /proc/stb/ir/rc/type, so it looks like the heavy lifting is done in the kernel RC driver.
MrQuade wrote:Looking at keymap.xml:
https://bitbucket.org/beyonwiz/easy-ui- ... ?at=master

I see there are commands for "discrete_on" and "discrete_off". I don't know how to follow the source code further to determine what the actual IR codes that correspond to those command are. Can anyone help there?
Probably. But because the Harmony database lacks the codes for discrete on and discrete off, it's a little moot at the moment.

The keycodes that map to the discrete_on and discrete_off action names appear to be codes that represent 101-key keyboard numerical keypad buttons "0" and "1".
MrQuade wrote:And if we then have the code for "discrete_off", we can finally program proper on/off codes into our Universal remotes for the T3/T4.

If that all works, perhaps Logitech can then be cajoled into adding those codes into their database for all Harmony users to benefit from.
I think that Beyonwiz needs to ask them to do this.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:14

prl wrote: Probably. But because the Harmony database lacks the codes for discrete on and discrete off, it's a little moot at the moment.

The keycodes that map to the discrete_on and discrete_off action names appear to be codes that represent 101-key keyboard numerical keypad buttons "0" and "1".
My plan was to manually enter the codes into my Pronto, or Arduino, and then train the new discrete codes into my Harmony from one of those devices.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:19

MrQuade wrote:
prl wrote: Probably. But because the Harmony database lacks the codes for discrete on and discrete off, it's a little moot at the moment.

My plan was to manually enter the codes into my Pronto, or Arduino, and then train the new discrete codes into my Harmony from one of those devices.
But AFAIK, KEY_KP0 and KEY_KP1 have no corresponding IR code.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:37

Then my request would be for someone to give them an IR code as well ;)

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jun 21, 2015 14:36

MrQuade wrote:Then my request would be for someone to give them an IR code as well ;)
They have one, 0xC0FFEE. There's a KEY_POWER2 in keyids.py, perhaps it maps to that, but it isn't referenced in data/keymap.xml. It wouldn't need to be to start from shutdown, but it would need to be to start from standby.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jun 21, 2015 17:04

I tried the Harmony database codes for the Venton Unibox HD 3 on a T3. The codes work in "All supported", but not in "HDx (0x0933)". I'd expect it would be the same on a T4.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Jun 21, 2015 19:28

I ended up sucking it up and just learning them all manually in the end. ;)

It will do for the time being, but I am still very keen to get a working set of discrete on/off that "just work" as you would expect them to.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jul 30, 2015 18:13

MrQuade wrote:This thread is mostly a question about getting the T4 working with the Logitech Harmony remotes prior to Logitech entering an official T4 into their database.

The Unibox HD3 entry in the Harmony database uses the 0x9331 code set. The HDx remote setting in the T4 expects the 0x9333 code set. The Harmony Unibox HD3 device setup will control the T4 in "All supported" remote setting, but not in the "HDx (0x9333)" setting.

Tested against a HDx remote that came with one of the beta units, and which does control the T4 in the "HDx (0x9333)" setting.

Close, but no cigar.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

TeBe
Apprentice

Post by TeBe » Sun Oct 04, 2015 23:10

Hi,

We recently purchased a T4 to join our T3 and replace our problematic P2 (once the T3 has been to the Beyonwiz hospital for repairs). We use a Harmony 900 RF remote to control our equipment.

The T4 manual (page 47) provides the following information for the the remote codes:

"STB mode has 3 custom codes as follows and T4 (02F4) is the factory default for STB.

1. Custom code "02F2" for T2.
2. Custom code "02F3" for T3.
3. Custom code "02F4" for T4."

When I added the T4 to the Harmony remote, operating the T4 also operated the T3. Some testing confirmed that the code set provided by Logitech for the T4 was the T3 0xABCD code set.

Following a number of phone calls and emails with Logitech support over 8 days (including providing information on all code sets for the Tx series) they provided a test setup to try with the T4. This didn't operate the T4 but by changing the code set in the T4 setup I isolated it to the T2 0x02f2 code set (as per the manual). I confirmed this back to Logitech support.

Three days later (on Friday) I received an email from Logitech confirming that they had added the T4 0x02f4 code set to their database and that I should redo the T4 setup. On doing this, the software asked me to press 3 keys for the T4 remote while pointed at the Harmony, presumably this confirmed the correct code set for use.

The Harmony now controls the T4 on the 0x02f4 code set and the T3 on the 0xABCD code set and they now work independantly. :D

Hopefully this may be of assistance if their are other multiple Tx series users using a Harmony remote.

Tony

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Oct 04, 2015 23:33

It's probably better for it to be now set to 0x02f4 to match the manual, even though the remote doesn't actually use that code set.

Though I thought that in another thread, prl had reported that Ligitech had assigned the T4 to the 0x02f2 set rather than the 0xabcd set (because that was what the remote is set to by default). Odd.

Don't be afraid to ask questions on the forum, we could have sorted you out a bit faster than that :)

Good job on sorting it out though.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Oct 05, 2015 09:35

MrQuade wrote:...
Though I thought that in another thread, prl had reported that Ligitech had assigned the T4 to the 0x02f2 set rather than the 0xabcd set (because that was what the remote is set to by default). Odd.
I thought it was that way because that was what you asked them to do. :)

IMO Logitech should follow the manual and use 0x02f4 as the remote codes for the T4.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “General Topics”