Missed recordings on U4

Moderators: Gully, peteru

KGL
Master

Missed recordings on U4

Post by KGL » Thu Jun 04, 2020 22:43

Recently (like 4 times in the last few weeks) the U4 has failed to get from IceTV, programmes that have been scheduled to record.
Firstly, I found my regular Gardening Australia on the ABC hadn't recorded. Fortunately I was able to find the repeat and record that.
Then my wife was looking at the EPG and noticed Call the Midwife (also on the ABC) was not down to record - due to start soon. I looked at the IceTV app and found the 3 red dots were there but with the centre "hole" meaning the series record was there but not been confirmed by the BW. I did an IceTV refresh but that didn't fix the problem, so I set up the recording manually.

This morning I did a check in the app and all recordings had solid red dots, so in effect the BW had confirmed the scheduled recordings, Then tonight we discovered ZeroZeroZero on SBS was not recording. We started the recording manually but I don't know if this will be repeated, so may have to use the SBS on demand. I checked the app again and the programme was in orange (Part way through going to air) and the three dots were solid. However the app said the recording had failed. There is no timer listed on the BW.

There is obviously a breakdown of communication between the BW and IceTV.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Missed recordings on U4

Post by MrQuade » Thu Jun 04, 2020 23:39

Have a look at the IceTV logs to see if something looks amiss. You can view them through the IceTV plugin interface.

prl might know if there is an issue at Ice's end atm.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

KGL
Master

Post by KGL » Fri Jun 05, 2020 09:49

I checked the IceTV log and couldn't see anything unusual or odd. However, it only seems to show the activity for today only.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:13

KGL wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 09:49
I checked the IceTV log and couldn't see anything unusual or odd. However, it only seems to show the activity for today only.

It shows the last 40 lines of the IceTV log, and the log is in-memory and is cleared by a GUI restart or reboot. The same information is also logged to the system debug log, if it's enabled.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:15

MrQuade wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 23:39
Have a look at the IceTV logs to see if something looks amiss. You can view them through the IceTV plugin interface.

prl might know if there is an issue at Ice's end atm.

I don't know of any, though I expected IceTV to record the first episode of Operation Buffalo on ABC HD last Sunday night, and it didn't. That may be related.

Otherwise I haven't had any IceTV problems.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:31

prl wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:15
I don't know of any, though I expected IceTV to record the first episode of Operation Buffalo on ABC HD last Sunday night, and it didn't. That may be related.

We received ours on 25-May which is the usual 6 days ahead for IceTV -

Code: Select all

[IceTV] 2020-05-25 22:11:26: Timer 'Operation Buffalo' updated OK

KGL
Master

Post by KGL » Sat Jun 06, 2020 07:33

Just looking through My Week on the app and all scheduled recordings are solid red until Friday (which is normal) except one...
Next Tuesday 9th at 11:00am on Go - Dance Moms. Has three red dots with a centre hole. Not listed in the timer list on the BW. All other instances of Dance Moms on other days have solid red dots.

Tried to refresh the IceTV EPG on the BW without success. Changed the recording series in the app to First Runs and Repeats. Other instances of the programme showed up and even another instance of Dance Moms appeared in the BW Timer list for the Tuesday - a repeat. The First Run instance for 11:00am did not.

Changed the series again in the app to First Runs only. The repeats disappeared but still the programme for 11:00am has not gone through.
Tried to fetch the IceTV EPG several times and closed and opened the app but nothing seems to work. I even closed the BW right down and rebooted but that did not help.

Its weird, its random. The only thing I can do is to set it up manually.

PS: Operation Buffalo has recorded successfully so far.

KGL
Master

Post by KGL » Sat Jun 06, 2020 08:22

Thought I might add to the complexity of this issue. :D

I just logged into the web version of IceTV and found that the 11:00am schedule of Dance Moms has three red dots all solid!

So
  • The Web version of IceTV says the BW has accepted the recording
  • The IceTV app says the BW has not accepted the recording
  • The BW doesn't know anything about it!
I haven't yet resent the EPG from the Web version of IceTV and I am thinking it might be worth a try. The only other thing is to set up the recording manually but that doesn't resolve the continued periodic issue.

One thing I said before that I have discovered isn't right and that is the BW still has the repeat programmes in the timer list while neither the app nor the Web version of IceTV has them. I am assuming the IceTV and the BW haven't updated their communication yet but I did do a fetch of the EPG on the BW but the repeat Dance Moms recordings didn't disappear nor the 11:00am appear in the timer list.

Here's a thought:
Could it be that IceTV have modified the timings of the programme meaning the timer was deleted from the BW but the update not retrieved & IceTV thinks the BW has accepted the revised timer?

If this is the case, then could there be an issue with the BW plugin accepting new recording schedules but not updating revised recording schedules?

Cheers

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:41

What version of the IceTV plugin is it on your U4 (latest is 20190921)?

Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

KGL
Master

Post by KGL » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:44

Ver 20180601, so I guess I have to upgrade it. Do I remove the old one first?

It is using a wired connection.

Greg

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Jun 06, 2020 14:23

KGL wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:44
Ver 20180601, so I guess I have to upgrade it. Do I remove the old one first?

It may not be your issue, but the plugin has had a few changes since its 20180601 version.
Backup your settings, and update your firmware to 20191106 via USB flashing - https://beyonwiz.com.au/downloads/
Restore your settings once finished (I'm assuming you're on 20190207).

KGL
Master

Post by KGL » Mon Jun 08, 2020 15:44

i haven't had time yet to upgrade the firmware yet but I discovered something which may be contributing to the problem.

The wife pointed out that 911 was not down to record but when I checked the app, I discovered it is a repeat. I also noticed no "R" against the programme description on the BW EPG. I also noticed the BW watermark on the EPG instead of the IceTV watermark,

So I went to the IceTV plugin and clicked on the Enable option, rechecked the EPG and it was empty. Went back to the IceTV plugin and did a "Fetch EPG and update Timers" and now the EPG is populated with the IceTV watermark.

I don't know how that changed but time will tell if the issue of programmes not recording will be resolved.

It still doesn't explain the difference between the recording status of the IceTV web version of My Week and the app version of My Week.

Cheers

Greg

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Jun 08, 2020 22:44

KGL wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 15:44
It still doesn't explain the difference between the recording status of the IceTV web version of My Week and the app version of My Week.

That's probably something better asked on the IceTV forum.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “General Topics”