U4 not working anymore

Moderators: Gully, peteru

wozzzzza
Master

U4 not working anymore

Post by wozzzzza » Mon May 18, 2020 18:57

had a U4 for 18 months now with what ever firmware it came with then, its my mothers, she started it tonight and it came up with an error something to do with hard link and timeshift or something similar. no settings have been changed or anything.
restarted several times using switch at back as remote didn't work, it starts but only goes to channel 2 and remote has no control over it, but the remote is functioning as the power light flashes each time a remote button is pressed but the U4 wont respond to any of the presses.
anyone know whats going on here and how to fix??

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: U4 not working anymore

Post by MrQuade » Mon May 18, 2020 19:02

The timeshift error suggests that the harddisk has carked it.

The remote being non-functional is an odd one. Barring any user-initated changes, it sounds like the front panel has lost contact with the motherboard.

Without knowing any of the deep secrets of the way the motherboard is arranged, I would guess this is a sign that something on the motherboard has failed and is no longer able to supply power or communicate to one or more connected devices.

I don't suppose it is connected to a network and you can get to the web interface?
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

wozzzzza
Master

Post by wozzzzza » Mon May 18, 2020 19:43

no its a self standing unit, mother doesnt have internet for 20 years since living there, well only wifi on phone as she is in the middle of the metro area of adelaide and cant get wirelsss, cant get nbn(been trying for 6 months in an active area and nbn cant work out why its not working) and cant get adsl.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Mon May 18, 2020 22:04

If it is just the remote code that has been corrupted then you might get a response from a universal remote. About the cheapest option logitech programmable remote is the 350. $38 at Officeworks. You could program it to be the default U4 codeset and as a separate device to be a T4. This will take an effort on your part.

Personally, I would also reflash the firmware by USB but you will need a U4 remote to access the initial setup screens. However, this may be a waste of time if there is a hardware problem but hard to tell without a working remote.

Rock and a hard place anyone?
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Tue May 19, 2020 13:29

wozzzzza wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 18:57
it starts but only goes to channel 2 and remote has no control over it, but the remote is functioning as the power light flashes each time a remote button is pressed but the U4 wont respond to any of the presses.

Any chance the remote is in 'TV' mode and not 'STB' mode? Which light flashes when a button is pressed?

If you press the front panel button does the U4 go to standby (and button colour change from blue to red)?

wozzzzza
Master

Post by wozzzzza » Tue May 19, 2020 19:41

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 13:29
wozzzzza wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 18:57
it starts but only goes to channel 2 and remote has no control over it, but the remote is functioning as the power light flashes each time a remote button is pressed but the U4 wont respond to any of the presses.

Any chance the remote is in 'TV' mode and not 'STB' mode? Which light flashes when a button is pressed?

If you press the front panel button does the U4 go to standby (and button colour change from blue to red)?
man that was it, you da man. ive done it myself a few times and taken a while to figure it out as well. when will i learn, i think that the error on the screen lead me in different direction on this one and it not being in front of me.
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (6.9 KiB) Viewed 732 times

Return to “General Topics”