Is there a Plugin (or similar) to display on screen to cover station ids?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Star6key
Guru

Is there a Plugin (or similar) to display on screen to cover station ids?

Post by Star6key » Wed Mar 18, 2020 17:50

So, my 18 month old LG oled tv now has a few 'burn-in' images (so much for burn-in' not being a thing anymore). The biggest culprit is 7 news and its bright red 7 logo. Obviously the ass-hats at 7 aren't aware that red is the worst colour for static images that you can have on an oled tv.
What I'd like to be able to do is to put up an image (with programmable colours) that covers the logo. Anyone have any ideas?

Before anyone asks... it's definitely burn-in, not image retention as the other image is of the Minecraft HUD - specifically the red hearts near the bottom. I haven't played Minecraft in over 3 months.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Is there a Plugin (or similar) to display on screen to cover station ids?

Post by MrQuade » Wed Mar 18, 2020 19:23

Maybe you could enable PiP and place that over the offending area? You can customise there location and size to a degree. That has the benefit of being a continuously changing colour.

I don't know if any specific plugins though.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Mar 18, 2020 20:56

Along the same line would be to use the Bitrate viewer plugin, positioning the window over the logo.
There's a pic of it in this post viewtopic.php?t=12766&p=171559#p171559
It's probably just as easy to access, just two button presses, BLUE>>{n} Bitrate viewer from Live TV.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Mar 18, 2020 22:40

Hi Star6key,

I would also contact the Seven Network and complain about the damage their watermark is causing to a frequent watcher of their services. Depending on how they react you may also like to contact ACMA to register a complaint with them. Another call might be to LG to complain about burn-in issues that shouldn't be happening on such an expensive product sold here with the knowledge that Australian TV has persistent watermarks.

Regards,
Ian.

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Wed Mar 18, 2020 22:53

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 20:56
Along the same line would be to use the Bitrate viewer plugin, positioning the window over the logo.
There's a pic of it in this post viewtopic.php?t=12766&p=171559#p171559
It's probably just as easy to access, just two button presses, BLUE>>{n} Bitrate viewer from Live TV.
Looked interesting, but sadly, does not play well when the source your watching is a file playback (normal timer recording). Any time you press a skip button, the bitrate viewer goes off screen. Since I only watch recorded files, it's not very practical.
MrQuade wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 19:23
Maybe you could enable PiP and place that over the offending area? You can customise there location and size to a degree. That has the benefit of being a continuously changing colour.
This had promise, but getting pip to work consistently... well that's another story. Right now, I'm looking at a 'locked' cursor on screen i.e. cursor is in the middle of the screen, but not rotating. No remote buttons work... but the recording is still playing... :roll:

I think I'll go back to TEN News (but I HATE Tim Bailey with a passion, and that ridiculous mini mohawk ain't helping). Sigh...........

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Wed Mar 18, 2020 23:11

IanSav wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 22:40
Another call might be to LG to complain about burn-in issues that shouldn't be happening on such an expensive product sold here with the knowledge that Australian TV has persistent watermarks.
I trust that suggestion was tongue in cheek :)

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 00:59

MrQuade wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 23:11
IanSav wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 22:40
Another call might be to LG to complain about burn-in issues that shouldn't be happening on such an expensive product sold here with the knowledge that Australian TV has persistent watermarks.
Sorry to disagree but I hope not. If I survive the sharemarket crash, oesophageal surgery and the chemo, my plan is to buy a Smart TV and watch travelogue videos of the places I can no longer visit. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Learning that a major brand is subject to burn-in crosses LG off my list. My current LG plasma has burn-in protection that works so they definitely know what is needed. Seems a bit like deciding to omit a major safety feature and not mention it to the world. (Where have I heard that story before? Tongue-in-cheek definitely). Based on user posts, LG was on shaky ground with me anyway but identifying something that actually works with the U4 is looking like a challenge. Also, if it isn't too old, it may well fall into the category of unfit for it's intended purpose. There could be an Australian Consumer Law question here too.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Mar 19, 2020 01:56

Hi MrQuade,
MrQuade wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 23:11
I am being serious. If the manufacturer knows that a country uses on screen watermarks and sells a product into that market and that product suffers damage because of the watermark then that is a problem they need to address.

Mind you in a digital world there is no need for on screen watermarks to tag the source of the material.

/rant Watermarks are evil and should never have been permitted. Not only do the burn screens they always appear over some part of the picture that people want to see. Particularly subtitles!

Regards,
Ian.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Mar 19, 2020 02:14

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 00:59
Learning that a major brand is subject to burn-in crosses LG off my list.
It's not the brand, it is the technology. Image retention, both temporary and in chronic cases, permanent is simply inherent to the technology. They can partially mitigate it with periodic screen refreshes, pixel shifting, and automatic dimming, but you'd be asking them to change the laws of physics.

Every manufacturer of OLED screens faces the same problem, and their sets have the same problem. You'd be just as well to ask them to change the laws of physics. You could compare it to complaining to icecream manufacturers that their products are unsuited to Australian summer conditions.

The only thing you could accuse them of, is downplaying the risk, and not educating potential buyers on the kind of material that can cause their panels harm.

CRT sets and Plasma sets had these problems for decades, and while Plasma also had some mitigating strategies, they still suffered from image retention eventually in their own fashion.

If you are in the habit of watching obnoxious content that features bright static images, then you should be buying an LED screen. All manufacturers still make those, and they are good for what they are good at. Someone like myself who uses the TV primarily for watching dramatic content (TV series and movies), the OLED offers an unrivaled picture quality and black levels.

Buyers need to educate themselves and buy appropriate products to their needs.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Mar 19, 2020 02:17

IanSav wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 01:56
I am being serious. If the manufacturer knows that a country uses on screen watermarks and sells a product into that market and that product suffers damage because of the watermark then that is a problem they need to address.

Mind you in a digital world there is no need for on screen watermarks to tag the source of the material.

/rant Watermarks are evil and should never have been permitted. Not only do the burn screens they always appear over some part of the picture that people want to see. Particularly subtitles!
I'm with you on the evils of watermarks, and the TV stations should be encouraged to stop using the bright obvious ones. They're trying to advertise their brand, but it is at the cost of their primary audience. (I'm thinking they make them so prominent on the news for when their stories are shown elsewhere such as online content providers).

But what country in the world is completely devoid of watermarked TV content? You can't blame the TV manufacturers for that, the watermarks and sports/stock tickers are practically inescapable if you watch that flavour of content.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Mar 19, 2020 08:55

MrQuade wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 02:17
But what country in the world is completely devoid of watermarked TV content? You can't blame the TV manufacturers for that, the watermarks and sports/stock tickers are practically inescapable if you watch that flavour of content.

I don't object too much to watermarks that are actually like their paper namesake: visible, but unobtrusive, where the picture can still be seen under the watermark.

Too many "watermarks" on Australian FTA are nothing like that.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 13:02

prl wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 08:55
MrQuade wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 02:17

I don't object too much to watermarks that are actually like their paper namesake: visible, but unobtrusive, where the picture can still be seen under the watermark.

Too many "watermarks" on Australian FTA are nothing like that.

+1

What triggered my concern in the original post was this occurred with a red logo on Seven news, which is less than an hour program when interrupted by ads. I play ABC News as daytime background with a substantial banner. The Covid 19 press conference just now ran with a bright red banner uninterrupted on all news services for over an hour. If this crisis continues for 6 months could this damage an OLED screen? Possibly, based on this case.

If OLED technology is not suitable for watching such programs although watermarks and banners are now standard fair then it should be sold with a prominent warning, despite its superiority for other content. Of course, marketing blurbs will reduce this to the smallest font possible.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Thu Mar 19, 2020 23:09

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 13:02

What triggered my concern in the original post was this occurred with a red logo on Seven news, which is less than an hour program when interrupted by ads. I play ABC News as daytime background with a substantial banner. The Covid 19 press conference just now ran with a bright red banner uninterrupted on all news services for over an hour. If this crisis continues for 6 months could this damage an OLED screen? Possibly, based on this case.

If OLED technology is not suitable for watching such programs although watermarks and banners are now standard fair then it should be sold with a prominent warning, despite its superiority for other content. Of course, marketing blurbs will reduce this to the smallest font possible.
Of course, Burn-in for oleds is not covered by the LG warranty (probably most other manufacturers as well). Obviously they have no faith in the technology being able to cope with static images.
You are right about the 7 news. I skip ads and some news items that I have no interest in, so probably 25-35 minutes of the logo per day. It's ludicrous that that will cause the issue, but here it is (along with the minecraft HUD, near the bottom) -
20200318_184825.jpg
Why is the inline image upside down :?

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Fri Mar 20, 2020 01:08

Here's an attempt at a plugin to cover the 7 News "watermark". Select "Bug Spray" from the BLUE extensions menu to turn it on and off. It will black out the logo (almost, I didn't scale it right). You might need to reposition it, which is currently done by manually editing /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/BugSpray/skin.xml (takes effect next time you turn it on, restart not required).
Attachments
enigma2-plugin-extensions-bugspray_0.9_all.ipk
(4.07 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Fri Mar 20, 2020 09:21

Thanks Adoxa. Looks good.
It looks like 7 randomly changes the size of the logo during the broadcast, so I will play around with the png image to compensate.

:D

ps... love the name :lol:

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:42

Yeah, I should have mentioned there are two: the main 7 NEWS one, then a slightly smaller 7 NEWS with com.au underneath.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:04

Star6key wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 23:09

No idea. The actual uploaded image is fine, and a screenshot that I just attached in another topic has its inline thumbnail the right way up. :roll:
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

blip
Master

Post by blip » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:54

prl wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:04
Star6key wrote:

No idea. The actual uploaded image is fine, and a screenshot that I just attached in another topic has its inline thumbnail the right way up. :roll:
I suspect you had your phone upside down when you took the photo. The image has its EXIF rotation flag set to 180 degrees and it seems the flag is ignored when the inline image displayed.

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Fri Mar 20, 2020 14:19

blip wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:54
prl wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:04
Star6key wrote:

I suspect you had your phone upside down when you took the photo. The image has its EXIF rotation flag set to 180 degrees and it seems the flag is ignored when the inline image displayed.
I always hold the phone on it's side when taking pics, but what you say makes sense.

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Fri Mar 20, 2020 14:28

adoxa wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:42
Yeah, I should have mentioned there are two: the main 7 NEWS one, then a slightly smaller 7 NEWS with com.au underneath.
Oh yeah... It's funny the things you don't notice, until someone else points it out. :lol:

Any chance of including a selection list menu of different images that we can edit? There's a few things I'd like to block when watching certain shows/hdmi streams.

blip
Master

Post by blip » Fri Mar 20, 2020 14:34

Star6key wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 14:19
I always hold the phone on it's side when taking pics, but what you say makes sense.
Getting very off topic but are you left handed? My Samsung phone (different model to yours) has an EXIF orientation of 0 degrees when the phone is on its side with the shutter button (bottom of the phone) on the right.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Mar 20, 2020 15:36

Star6key wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 17:50
Before anyone asks... it's definitely burn-in, not image retention as the other image is of the Minecraft HUD - specifically the red hearts near the bottom. I haven't played Minecraft in over 3 months.
Have you tried running a manual screen refresh from the TV's setup menu?
This operation will run a deeper refresh cycle than the regular 4-hour refresh.
I believe the manually activated cycle is more or less equivalent to the one that gets run every 2000 hours of operation.

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Fri Mar 20, 2020 16:26

blip wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 14:34
Star6key wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 14:19
Getting very off topic but are you left handed? My Samsung phone (different model to yours) has an EXIF orientation of 0 degrees when the phone is on its side with the shutter button (bottom of the phone) on the right.
I'm a righty. I would normally hold it with the bottom of the phone to the right (screen facing me). I use the volume down button to take pictures.
Now stop it, before the 'off topic' police come a callin'. :mrgreen:

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Mar 20, 2020 16:30

Star6key wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 16:26

As far as I'm concerned this hasn't really gone much off topic. I do prefer that separate original technical issues have their own topic, though.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Fri Mar 20, 2020 16:33

MrQuade wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 15:36
Star6key wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 17:50
Have you tried running a manual screen refresh from the TV's setup menu?
This operation will run a deeper refresh cycle than the regular 4-hour refresh.
I believe the manually activated cycle is more or less equivalent to the one that gets run every 2000 hours of operation.
Yep. 3 times in the last week. Can't really say it made much difference (but it wouldn't, if it's burn-in).
Supposedly every 2000 hours, you're supposed to get a notice to run the Pixel Refresher, but I've never seen it (tv has been on for 6800 hours... and no, not consecutively :lol: ). I had no idea it was supposed to be done.

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Fri Mar 20, 2020 16:34

prl wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 16:30
Star6key wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 16:26

As far as I'm concerned this hasn't really gone much off topic. I do prefer that separate original technical issues have their own topic, though.
Roger that. :)

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Sun Mar 22, 2020 22:09

Star6key wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 14:28
Any chance of including a selection list menu of different images that we can edit? There's a few things I'd like to block when watching certain shows/hdmi streams.
Here you go. Watermarks are now stored in /etc/enigma2/bugspray, using the format NAME--POSITION.png, where NAME is what you see in the list and POSITION is copied directly to the skin; the current maximum size is 200x200 (which just fits WIN Peach). I've supplied a new 7NEWS, along with WIN (HD, Peach & Bold, in both black and grey versions, although I don't think grey is any better) and SBS (for when it's letterboxed). They could probably all do with a bit of tweaking. It still requires manually turning on and off and currently only one image can be active at a time. However, it does remember which bugs have been chosen for which services, and they will appear first in the list. A future version may allow multiple images (in both senses, in that you could have images active on multiple services and multiple images on a single service) and automatically hide/show when the service changes.
Attachments
enigma2-plugin-extensions-bugspray_0.9.1_all.ipk
(34.11 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Mon Mar 23, 2020 13:00

Good stuff. Works like a charm. :D

One slightly annoying thing, which I don't think you can do anything about. When SBS Movies show ultra wide screen movies, they display the logo in the top black bar. I've created a completely black image to be displayed, but on screen, there is a thin white border around the image. This happens on all images, but isn't noticeable on non static black backgrounds. Mehhhhh...

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Mon Mar 23, 2020 18:29

Ah, that's the same thing happening with the SBS logos: they're black, but still have an outline. Just looks to be how the overlay is displayed, as there's no outline when black.mvi is used (showiframe /usr/share/enigma2/black.mvi).

I've discovered the image is not shown when subtitles are on, so I've had to adjust the zposition in the skin, but now that means the image shows up on top of other things (like the movie list). To compensate I've sized the skin the same as the image, removing the 200x200 limit. Not sure what else I can do about it.

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Mon Mar 23, 2020 22:52

adoxa wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 18:29
Not sure what else I can do about it.
Do nothing. Not worth the effort.
I'll live. :mrgreen:

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Wed Mar 25, 2020 00:29

Here's the version that works with subtitles. I've also changed the config (from pickle to JSON), so you'll have to reselect. Removed the grey versions and tweaked Peach & Bold (although I've just discovered they're sometimes displayed at the top, too).
Attachments
enigma2-plugin-extensions-bugspray_0.9.2_all.ipk
(13.74 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Wed Mar 25, 2020 13:37

Thanks Adoxa.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Sat Mar 28, 2020 23:15

I thought I remembered a plugin that did this, and rediscovered it today. It lets you move and resize, as well as set transparency and have multiple, but it's still black and has the outline (so nice to know it's not something I did). Could combine them, adding an image option to this one.
Attachments
enigma2-plugin-extensions-antilogo_0.1_all.ipk
(7.86 KiB) Downloaded 45 times

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Mon Mar 30, 2020 15:53

Had a look at the Antilogo plugin. Very handy. I like being able to change it/them on the fly. Very useful for covering up ticker items at the bottom of the epsn channels on kayo... not that sports is a 'thing' anymore. :(

Combining them would be great... if it's no trouble. :)
Any idea what the 'step' items are? They don't seem to do anything.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Mon Mar 30, 2020 17:29

"Step +" moves/resizes in larger increments; "step -" reduces it. The increments are: 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200. I'll see about making the step size visible should I add logo images.

Star6key
Guru

Post by Star6key » Mon Mar 30, 2020 19:16

Ahhhh... Thanks Adoxa. :D

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Apr 06, 2020 17:51

Ahh, thankfully the new RUSH logo is in translucent white, and not bright red as I was dreading!

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Apr 06, 2020 18:05

MrQuade wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 17:51
Ahh, thankfully the new RUSH logo is in translucent white, and not bright red as I was dreading!

I'm sure that they can fix that ;)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:44

Here's a revamped AntiLogo. I've combined move/resize/color/step into a single modify, press HELP to see how it works. The white outline is gone, but one has been added during modify (so you can see black antilogos on a black screen). There are default antilogos for SBS HD/Viceland/World Movies, completely blacking out the logo for letterboxed pictures. There are default antilogos for WIN HD/Peach/Bold, dimming the logo (I'd appreciate feedback for Peach/Bold, as I'm not sure if the V2 needs to be moved up four pixels, or the T2 is wrong). You can choose your own images (PNG only), which get copied to /etc/enigma2/antilogo/. You can hide individual antilogos (e.g. have antilogos at the top and bottom, switch between them as needed).
Attachments
enigma2-plugin-extensions-antilogo_0.2_all.ipk
(14.47 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

Return to “General Topics”