T4 keeps cutting out

Moderators: Gully, peteru

csutak40
Master

T4 keeps cutting out

Post by csutak40 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 17:43

I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this. I had my T4 set up in the bedroom. I purchased a T2 a while back, just had a friend here to put a drive into the T2, and I asked him to put the T4 in the loungeroom, as i realised that the bedroom wasn't very convenient, and plug the T2 in the bedroom.
When we plugged in the T4, the picture kept cutting out every 15 seconds or so, for a couple of seconds each time. We tested it, if we record with it, the recording shows the same cut out bits too.
He tried plugging it directly into the antenna (without the splitter) made no difference. He even tried unplugging the T2 in the bedroom, as it is all the same antenna.
So, we moved it back into the bedroom, as all recordings would be faulty as well.
Has this happened to anyone else, and any idea what could cause this?
Cheers,
Judy

Beyonwiz V2 & T2
NetComm NF18ACV
D-Link NAS drives
HauppaugeTV HVR-2210
TV: Samsung UA55MU7000W
TV: Sharp Aquos LC37PD5X
TV: Sony KDL-46EX520
Panasonic DMR ES35V

peteru
Uber Wizard

Re: T4 keeps cutting out

Post by peteru » Mon Feb 22, 2016 21:46

Let me guess, you used component cables instead of HDMI?

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

csutak40
Master

Post by csutak40 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 09:46

peteru wrote:Let me guess, you used component cables instead of HDMI?
Definitely not. However, I now wonder..... We used an HDMI cable already connected to the back of the TV, that I used to use for a long ago disconnected piece of equipment. Wonder if the cable is faulty?
Cheers,
Judy

Beyonwiz V2 & T2
NetComm NF18ACV
D-Link NAS drives
HauppaugeTV HVR-2210
Panasonic DMR ES35V

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:04

Well if it is the antenna, then you will loose the TV picture, but the Beyonwiz graphical elements like the infobar will still work. If it is HDMI, then the screen will be TOTALLY blank and you wont even be able to see Beyonwiz menus and such.
If it is antenna related, then it could be the roof antenna, splitters, cables, or Beyonwiz tuner related, or a combination of those.
If the fault is HDMI related, then it could be the Wiz, the cable, or the TV, or a combination of those as well.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

csutak40
Master

Post by csutak40 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:54

MrQuade wrote:Well if it is the antenna, then you will loose the TV picture, but the Beyonwiz graphical elements like the infobar will still work. If it is HDMI, then the screen will be TOTALLY blank and you wont even be able to see Beyonwiz menus and such.
If it is antenna related, then it could be the roof antenna, splitters, cables, or Beyonwiz tuner related, or a combination of those.
If the fault is HDMI related, then it could be the Wiz, the cable, or the TV, or a combination of those as well.
Oh dear! This is getting way too complicated for me :? The picture did go completely black, but then would return. It was doing that quite regularly, every fifteen seconds. We didn't test if we could see the menu etc, but I doubt we would have had time anyway, it would only stay black for a couple of seconds each time.

We should have tested it with the T2, but my friend had to rush home to family obligations. It could be weeks before he is able to return. I can't experiment on my own, the TV is on the wall and requires two people to remove it. The T4 is now back in the bedroom, so at least it is recording. :)

I wish I knew if there was some professional firm I could call to connect everything for me, but I have no idea where to look. And this is before I even get to getting confused by the software :cry:

I just remembered... IceTV offered a deal with Jim's Antennas to connect the Skippa at the time. I wonder if they would be of help?
Cheers,
Judy

Beyonwiz V2 & T2
NetComm NF18ACV
D-Link NAS drives
HauppaugeTV HVR-2210
Panasonic DMR ES35V

csutak40
Master

Post by csutak40 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 00:59

Correction! I just watched the test recording we'd made, and discovered that the blackouts did not record! :oops: Seems, the blackouts kept happening while we watched the playback, so we presumed that the Wiz had recorded the blackouts, but that wasn't the case.

Of course, I have no idea what that means, but I thought I should write the correction, in the interest of full disclose (and in case this change means something to an expert here)
Cheers,
Judy

Beyonwiz V2 & T2
NetComm NF18ACV
D-Link NAS drives
HauppaugeTV HVR-2210
Panasonic DMR ES35V

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Feb 24, 2016 07:32

It means that it's not the antenna connection.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Wed Feb 24, 2016 08:18

Sounds like an issue with HDMI between the T4 and the TV. It may be a cable problem (not plugged in properly or not compatible/damaged) or it could be the TV and the T4 don't like each other - maybe post what model the TVs are in case others have had similar problem with the HDMI connection between the two ("handshake"). Try googling your TV model and the phrase HDMI handshake to see if other devices have had similar problems with that TV model.
If it is the HDMI problem then there are a few things to try next time you have somebody who can help:
1. Check the cables are plugged in properly (I know it sounds obvious but it is so common)
2. Try using the HDMI cable from the other room that you know works
3. Try changing the order that you switch the T4 and the TV on (it's probably not that as you would normally get no signal at all)
4. If it looks like there is a compatibility issue between the T4 and the TV, using component video and separate audio cables instead of HDMI is an option.
Beyonwiz T4

csutak40
Master

Post by csutak40 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 08:46

simoncasey wrote:Sounds like an issue with HDMI between the T4 and the TV. It may be a cable problem (not plugged in properly or not compatible/damaged) or it could be the TV and the T4 don't like each other - maybe post what model the TVs are in case others have had similar problem with the HDMI connection between the two ("handshake"). Try googling your TV model and the phrase HDMI handshake to see if other devices have had similar problems with that TV model.
If it is the HDMI problem then there are a few things to try next time you have somebody who can help:
1. Check the cables are plugged in properly (I know it sounds obvious but it is so common)
2. Try using the HDMI cable from the other room that you know works
3. Try changing the order that you switch the T4 and the TV on (it's probably not that as you would normally get no signal at all)
4. If it looks like there is a compatibility issue between the T4 and the TV, using component video and separate audio cables instead of HDMI is an option.
Thank you for your reply. The TV is Sony KDL-46EX520. I just Googled as you suggested and got lots of hits. As I am running late for an appointment, I will have to study it when I get home.

I am hoping that the HDMI cable may be faulty. I used to have another piece of equipment connected to it, that was playing up all the time (bought it second hand) and just presumed it was the equipment, so gave up on it. Now I am thinking (hoping) that it was the cable?
Cheers,
Judy

Beyonwiz V2 & T2
NetComm NF18ACV
D-Link NAS drives
HauppaugeTV HVR-2210
Panasonic DMR ES35V

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Feb 24, 2016 09:06

As a quick test, try temporarily replacing the suspect HDMI cable with one from a setup that's working well.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Wed Feb 24, 2016 09:11

prl wrote:As a quick test, try temporarily replacing the suspect HDMI cable with one from a setup that's working well.
csutak40 wrote:It could be weeks before he is able to return. I can't experiment on my own, the TV is on the wall and requires two people to remove it.
Beyonwiz T4

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:26

Ah. Not so practical, then :(
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Wed Feb 24, 2016 15:23

simoncasey wrote:4. If it looks like there is a compatibility issue between the T4 and the TV, using component video and separate audio cables instead of HDMI is an option.
Not a good one. If you have not heard, there are some issues with T4 component out and certain TV sets. The fix is a (trivial) hardware modification, but it does involve soldering -> sending the T4 back to Sydney service centre.

That's why I asked about component at the start of this thread.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Wed Feb 24, 2016 15:39

peteru wrote:
simoncasey wrote:4. If it looks like there is a compatibility issue between the T4 and the TV, using component video and separate audio cables instead of HDMI is an option.
Not a good one. If you have not heard, there are some issues with T4 component out and certain TV sets. The fix is a (trivial) hardware modification, but it does involve soldering -> sending the T4 back to Sydney service centre.

That's why I asked about component at the start of this thread.
I have a T3 that works fine on component so I wasn't aware of the issue on the T4. Not a good option in that case.

Another causecould be HDMI CEC. That may be enabled on the T4 and work on one TV but not supported on the other TV. Googling csutak40's TV model and hdmi handshake brings up a few people with similar problems and disabling HDMI control was one of the possible solutions.
Beyonwiz T4

csutak40
Master

Post by csutak40 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 23:53

simoncasey wrote:
Another causecould be HDMI CEC. That may be enabled on the T4 and work on one TV but not supported on the other TV. Googling csutak40's TV model and hdmi handshake brings up a few people with similar problems and disabling HDMI control was one of the possible solutions.
Sorry, could you tell me what HDMI CEC is?

Things are not good at my house :cry: I had my friend here and we tried everything under the sun. In the end, decided to call Sony, as I knew that the problem wasn't the Wiz, as it works in the bedroom. After they had me reset it to factory settings, they informed me that I had better buy a new TV, on which they will give me a 20% discount :x They said I could put in a service call (no longer under warranty, of course) but they can't guarantee that the repairman could fix it. My friend thinks they definitely couldn't - obviously the TV and the Wiz don't like each other

Incidentally, FWIW, when it blacks out, it is not just the picture - we were fiddling with the setup and that blacked out as well. I did Google "bravia KDL46EX520 hdmi handshake" and can't seem to see anyone with the same problem. Some people have audio problems, some (different Sony) need to reboot to get the picture back. No one has this 15 seconds on 2-3 seconds off problem.

What annoys me, is that I have an old el-cheapo Sanyo TV in the bedroom, that only has one HDMI connection, and that gets along with the Wiz fine. This one has three (we tried them all) and various cables

So, now we connected it with component, and it seems to be working (early days - haven't relly given it a workout yet. The picture isn't great, but at least it isn't cutting out.

Any other suggestions, anyone? I really would rather not stick with the component solution, but don't fancy buying another TV either :evil:
Cheers,
Judy

Beyonwiz V2 & T2
NetComm NF18ACV
D-Link NAS drives
HauppaugeTV HVR-2210
Panasonic DMR ES35V

Kaff

Post by Kaff » Mon Mar 07, 2016 18:55

HDMI CEC (consumer electronics control) allows you to do things like get your TV to switch on/off automatically when your Beyonwiz is switched on/off. Obviously only works for devices connected via HDMI.

On my T2 it can be enabled/disabled via Setup >> AV Setup >> HDMI-CEC.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Mar 07, 2016 19:46

Kaff wrote:... On my T2 it can be enabled/disabled via Setup >> AV Setup >> HDMI-CEC.
It's the same on all models.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “General Topics”