DP-Lite - can no longer access internet

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

allie181
Apprentice

DP-Lite - can no longer access internet

Post by allie181 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 22:39

I am losing my mind.

I have a wireless access point attached to my wiz. The AP connects wirelessly to my modem. Everything was working fine and my wiz was accessing my icetv guide. Then, all of a sudden it stopped. I didn't change any settings.

I've reset the AP, modem and the wiz numerous times over the past 2 days, given everything time to cycle off etc. Nothing.

The AP is connected to the modem (they can each "see" eachother), plus the wiz can network to my laptop and I can stream shows on my wiz from my laptop. But it still cannot access the icetv guide and when I "check" user info for the icetv guide on the wiz, I get the network connection failed error message.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

p.s.
my modem is a TP-Link TD-W8901G
my AP is a TP-Link TL-WA500G
(firmware is current on both)

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Re: DP-Lite - can no longer access internet

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:10

You state "I can stream shows on my wiz from my laptop" so that appears to rule out a connectivity issue, unless the laptop is *not* connected to the modem/router.

Does the DP-Lite successfully update its time from the configured NTP server?

Does your IceTV account work from the laptop?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Aug 20, 2015 13:11

A few more ideas.

Can you connect the laptop to the WA500G ethernet bridge in place of the DP-Lite and double-check internet connectivity through to the W8901G modem/router and out to world. Perhaps disable the laptop's wireless adapter to ensure connection is via ethernet.

Can you re-connect that previously used long 'puppy magnet' ethernet cable between the DP-Lite and W8901G and confirm a working IceTV, Check the NTP network time mode too, I think the time is only checked on startup so you'll have to restart the D-Lite.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6447

Does anything in your old WA500G/W8901G connectivity issue jog your memory?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6779

allie181
Apprentice

Post by allie181 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 19:26

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:You state "I can stream shows on my wiz from my laptop" so that appears to rule out a connectivity issue, unless the laptop is *not* connected to the modem/router.

Does the DP-Lite successfully update its time from the configured NTP server?

Does your IceTV account work from the laptop?
1. Yes, the laptop is definitely connected to the modem/router
2. No, it can't update time from the server. I've had to turn it back to auto settings.
3. I can log into icetv on my laptop

allie181
Apprentice

Post by allie181 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 19:34

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:A few more ideas.

Can you connect the laptop to the WA500G ethernet bridge in place of the DP-Lite and double-check internet connectivity through to the W8901G modem/router and out to world. Perhaps disable the laptop's wireless adapter to ensure connection is via ethernet.

Can you re-connect that previously used long 'puppy magnet' ethernet cable between the DP-Lite and W8901G and confirm a working IceTV, Check the NTP network time mode too, I think the time is only checked on startup so you'll have to restart the D-Lite.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6447

Does anything in your old WA500G/W8901G connectivity issue jog your memory?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6779
1. I tried that. I disabled wireless on my laptop and connected the AP to my laptop via the ethernet cable, and I couldn't access the internet. This suggests to me that the limited connectivity issue is with the AP.

2. This isn't practical in my current house. I could do this on the weekend and disconnect my wiz and tv, take it into the other room where the modem is and give it a shot.

3. No. And I wrote down specific instructions after previous issues and notes on how things were resolved on other occasions (eg previously I just needed to let things cycle off, or double check the modem and AP were on the same channel etc), and I have tried all of those things and nothing has worked. I'm really stumped. As a last resort on the weekend I may just reset both the modem and AP to factory settings and try everything from scratch, but I was hoping to avoid this.

Thanks for the suggestions.

If I had the spare cash I'd just upgrade my wiz to a model that has wireless built in and give this one to a family member :/

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Aug 20, 2015 23:06

allie181 wrote:If I had the spare cash I'd just upgrade my wiz to a model that has wireless built in.
None of the current models have WiFi built onto the motherboard. The T-series supports many USB dongles to give you WiFi. That's a good thing. It means you have the choice of spending only a few dollars to get basic WiFi or drop a few more dollars to get something better. It also means that as new WiFi technology becomes available, you can upgrade just the USB dongle.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Aug 20, 2015 23:11

Oh, I should also mention that a Beyonwiz T2 is a sweet little box that does not cost a fortune and will quite nicely replace a DP-series. You might want to contemplate one...

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:01

allie181 wrote: 1. I tried that. I disabled wireless on my laptop and connected the AP to my laptop via the ethernet cable, and I couldn't access the internet. This suggests to me that the limited connectivity issue is with the AP.
Yes, but you said you could stream from your laptop which is connected to the modem/router to the DP-Lite which is connected to the AP (in wireless ethernet bridge mode) - so the AP/bridge might be flaky.

From the manuals, the default IP address of the W8901G modem/router is 192.168.1.1 and the default IP address of the WA500G access point is 192.168.1.254
With the laptop connected to the AP -
a) can you ping your AP on 192.168.1.254
b) can you bring up the AP's admin page: http://192.168.1.254
c) what does the status display for 'Wireless'
- Operating Mode is Client?
- SSID and channel match your modem/router?
d) Is Gateway set to your modem/router address i.e. 192.168.1.1?
e) can you ping your modem/router on 192.168.1.1
f) can you Survey the available wireless networks and locate your routers SSID - Wireless > Wireless Mode > Survey button
g) can you plug anything alse into the router and attempt to access it from the laptop connected to the AP (or vice versa)
allie181 wrote:3. ...As a last resort on the weekend I may just reset both the modem and AP to factory settings and try everything from scratch, but I was hoping to avoid this.
If it gets to this, do the AP first given the modem/router appears to be without issues.

allie181
Apprentice

Post by allie181 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 20:03

Grumpy_Geoff wrote: From the manuals, the default IP address of the W8901G modem/router is 192.168.1.1 and the default IP address of the WA500G access point is 192.168.1.254
With the laptop connected to the AP -
Do you mean using an ethernet cable? Because I can open my AP's admin page from my laptop (ie they are working wirelessly)
Grumpy_Geoff wrote: a) can you ping your AP on 192.168.1.254
b) can you bring up the AP's admin page: http://192.168.1.254
Yes (although FYI, I have changed the IP of the AP to 192.168.1.51) (can't recall why, but it was one of the steps many years ago when getting everything to work)
Grumpy_Geoff wrote: c) what does the status display for 'Wireless'
- Operating Mode is Client?
- SSID and channel match your modem/router?
Operating Mode: Client
Signal: 54 dB
SSID: (name of my modem network)
Channel: 6
Mode: 54Mbps (802.11g)
MAC Address: F4-xx-xx-xx-xx-5A
IP Address: 192.168.1.51

Yes, the SSID and channel match my modem
Grumpy_Geoff wrote: d) Is Gateway set to your modem/router address i.e. 192.168.1.1?
Yes
Grumpy_Geoff wrote: e) can you ping your modem/router on 192.168.1.1
Yes
Grumpy_Geoff wrote: f) can you Survey the available wireless networks and locate your routers SSID - Wireless > Wireless Mode > Survey button
Yes
Grumpy_Geoff wrote: g) can you plug anything else into the router and attempt to access it from the laptop connected to the AP (or vice versa)
I don't have anything else to plug into the router. (Everything else is wireless, ipad, mobile ph etc)

.......... um, just got scheduler tasks OK ...... waiting to see if the rest works .....

Yes, I have my TV guide!!!!!!!

OK, so what did I do? Well, I changed the primary and secondary DNS on my wiz from my ISP's (I'm with dodo) to google's ie:

prim 8.8.8.8
sec 8.8.4.4

(I gave this a go based on this post http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2108887)

Thanks for working through this with me Geoff.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I feel like a weight is off my shoulders now this is fixed. I think I'm slightly OCD as it drives me bananas when things are not working properly.

.... Off now to update my "cheat sheet" for how to fix if this ever happens again ...

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”