Second Beyonwiz Questions?

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

wazzageek
Apprentice

Second Beyonwiz Questions?

Post by wazzageek » Sun Mar 10, 2013 18:49

Hi all,

I've had DP-S1 for several years now and thinking of getting a DP-P2 to replace it as the main unit and then use the DP-S1 in another room. I have read I can create a server and client relationship to share recordings etc. Just had a couple of questions.

1. Can the client wake the server from standby and visa versa?
2. Can the server play recordings from the client? Based on the names I assume not.
3. Is the DP-P2 any better at playing MKV files or does it use similar firmware?
4. Can the blue light on the DP-P2 be disabled?

Cheers, Waz.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Re: Second Beyonwiz Questions?

Post by IanSav » Sun Mar 10, 2013 19:34

Hi Waz,
wazzageek wrote:I've had DP-S1 for several years now and thinking of getting a DP-P2 to replace it as the main unit and then use the DP-S1 in another room. I have read I can create a server and client relationship to share recordings etc. Just had a couple of questions.

1. Can the client wake the server from standby and visa versa?
No. When the unit is set to STANDBY the logic board is completely powered down. The network interface is on the main logic board and is hence completely unavailable for remote access/control in STANDBY mode.
wazzageek wrote:2. Can the server play recordings from the client? Based on the names I assume not.
There are symetrical settings. There is a client setting and a server setting on the unit so that each unit can be set up to be a client and/or server for other units.
wazzageek wrote:3. Is the DP-P2 any better at playing MKV files or does it use similar firmware?
The firmware features for any firmware version number are effectively identical without regard for the hardware in use. There are some differences due to the hardware libraries that have changed over time. In my understanding MKV playback is implemented in the firmware and should hence be identical in all builds.
wazzageek wrote:4. Can the blue light on the DP-P2 be disabled?
No. Many users have applied various filters or shields to modify or block the blue power LEDs.

Regards,
Ian.

wazzageek
Apprentice

Post by wazzageek » Sun Mar 10, 2013 20:55

Thank for the quick reply Ian.

This is pretty much as I expected except for number 2. Good to know I can do both ways. Just a bugger they can't wake each other but is still workable.

Not sure how bad the blue light is. I guess it must be annoying if people have tried to cover it up.

Thanks again.

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun Mar 10, 2013 21:22

wazzageek wrote:Not sure how bad the blue light is. I guess it must be annoying if people have tried to cover it up.
I don't find it annoying and have never covered mine.

If you do a search there is a hardware mod Warkus worked out to dim it.
Cheers
Gully

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 07:36

Gully wrote:
wazzageek wrote:Not sure how bad the blue light is. I guess it must be annoying if people have tried to cover it up.
Agree, I have Lite and P2, both with blue lights. After a week or so they seem to just move out of your circle of annoyance.
Screen: Panasonic TH-60ST60A; BeyonWiz U4; T3; Panasonic BD-35 Blu_Ray player

glow
Guru

Post by glow » Mon Mar 11, 2013 13:22

grampus wrote:
Gully wrote:
Agree, I have Lite and P2, both with blue lights. After a week or so they seem to just move out of your circle of annoyance.
I put a second Wiz in a bedroom - the blue light would be annoying coming on in the middle of the night for a timer recording. That's one reason I chose a DP-S1 for that room (the other is the built-in WiFi since the bedroom doesn't have ethernet)

wazzageek
Apprentice

Post by wazzageek » Wed Mar 13, 2013 17:21

I was hoping to squeeze in 2 more questions.

I have the opportunity to pickup another DP-S1 cheap that has a 500gb hard drive and PSU upgrade by Warkus.

I noticed the newer Beyonwiz model will record and playback 3D broadcasts and I wondered if the S1 is capable of this?

Also, can the P2 record more than 2 channels if from the same stream as those already recording?

Cheers, Waz.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Mar 13, 2013 17:35

Hi Waz,
wazzageek wrote:I was hoping to squeeze in 2 more questions.
No need for a squeeze! ;)
wazzageek wrote:I have the opportunity to pickup another DP-S1 cheap that has a 500gb hard drive and PSU upgrade by Warkus.

I noticed the newer Beyonwiz model will record and playback 3D broadcasts and I wondered if the S1 is capable of this?
The DP-S1 has *always* been able to record 3D broadcasts. The first round of 3D testing triggered playback issues in the 01.05.350 firmware. The second round of 3D testing did *NOT* trigger any issues. I am not sure how much more 3D we are likely to get. The broadcast video standard will need to shift away from MPEG2 to H.264 (or later - though the Beyonwiz is only rated for MPEG and H.264) for 3D to be viable or perhaps alternatively a dedicated 3D channel with no other MUXs will need to be created to allow for the bandwidth requirements of 3D.
wazzageek wrote:Also, can the P2 record more than 2 channels if from the same stream as those already recording?
No. The current Beyonwiz is limited to 2 recordings at a time. The firmware has been reworked to allow for 4 recordings but this code was not completed before the engineer in charge of the project left the company. I have no idea if this will ever be completed. :(

Regards,
Ian.

wazzageek
Apprentice

Post by wazzageek » Wed Mar 13, 2013 19:06

Thanks for all your responses. Much appreciated.

I think I will grab the S1 if the guy still has it. I have been very happy with mine and I don't need the AV input of the P2. If everything else is much the same then the S1 will be fine.

Cheers, Waz.

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”