Can't upload from BeyonWiz [Errno 10061]

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

rickm
Apprentice

Can't upload from BeyonWiz [Errno 10061]

Post by rickm » Sat Mar 02, 2013 15:44

Hi,

I have both YARDWiz and WizFX. Neither work and I can't get a link from my computer to BeyonWiz. With YARDWiz, I also get the following message:

Unable to contact the WizPnP server.
[Errno 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

The following things have been tried:

1. Rebooting BeyonWiz by switching it off at the power point for one hour.

2. Upgrading to the latest version of the Firmware for a DP-P2 -- DPP2TB_Firmware_30Nov2010_ver_0107350.wrp.

3. Checking that Server is shown as "Enable" and the Port is "49152"

4. Checking that Windows Sharing entries look OK

5. Checking out this forum by searching on [Errno 10061]. Of the 12 or so posts, about half I couldn't understand. The rest seemed to offer nothing helpful.

6. Trying to run YARDWiz and WizFX with AVG disabled -- I have AVG 2013, paid up version.

The system worked fine until recently.

Help please. Thanks.

Rick
Last edited by rickm on Tue Mar 05, 2013 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
Running BW DP-P2 2TB. FW v DPP2-01.07.351. BW linked to Windows 7 computer. Two other computers also networked. Downloading is with YARDWiz or WizFX; necessary editing is with CyberLink PowerDirector v 10; and formatting is with ConvertXtoDVD v 5.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Mar 02, 2013 16:09

It sounds like it might be a firewall problem. If you go to URL http://my.bw.ip.ad:49152/index.txt (replace my.bw.ip.addr with the numeric IP adress of the Beyonwiz, omitting any leading zeros) in your favourite browser, what happens? The browser should download a text file containing a list of all your recordings and where they are stored on the Beyonwiz.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

rickm
Apprentice

Post by rickm » Sun Mar 03, 2013 16:38

Thanks Peter, but it didn't work. I got a message stating that "Google Chrome could not connect to 192.***.0.***:49152/index.txt". I noted that the third set of numbers should have been 000, but this came up just as 0. I remind you that I have already tried it with AVG disabled and to no effect.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated, please. Thanks.

Cheers,

Rick
Running BW DP-P2 2TB. FW v DPP2-01.07.351. BW linked to Windows 7 computer. Two other computers also networked. Downloading is with YARDWiz or WizFX; necessary editing is with CyberLink PowerDirector v 10; and formatting is with ConvertXtoDVD v 5.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Mar 03, 2013 16:57

Can you get any more information about the error out of Google Chrome than what you've posted? Alternatively, what error do you get with other browsers (Internet Explorer or Firefox, say)?

The error in your OP indicates that you are most likely connecting to some IP device that does not have WizPnP's HTTP port, 49152, open, or that a firewall is blocking the access and returning an immediate "refused connection" error.

Do you get the error in Chrome pretty much immediately, or only after a delay?

In the first case, it could be that DHCP has assigned an IP address to another device that is the one that you think the Beyonwiz has (i.e. when you try to connect to the Beyonwiz, you're actually trying to connect to something else). However, the fact that you mention removing leading zeros in the IP address (changing something like 192.168.000.005 to 192.168.0.0) means it sounds like you've recently got the IP address from the Beyonwiz Networking setup. If you haven't recently checked the Beyonwiz IP address, make sure you have the right one.

In the second case, some firewall (most likely in your PC or router) is refusing to allow the connection to be made, and sending back a "refused connection" message. That's the less usual way that firewalls block connections. They more frequently drop connection request packets for blocked ports on the floor, making the connecting application time out. Timing out rather than blocking immediately is a greater inconvenience to people trying to scan your network to exploit possible security problems.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

blip
Master

Post by blip » Sun Mar 03, 2013 17:32

Are you removing the leading zeros in the address? You should be entering something like 192.168.0.20:49152/index.txt rather than 192.168.000.020:49152/index.txt.
rickm wrote: I noted that the third set of numbers should have been 000, but this came up just as 0.
make me think you are entering the leading zeros but then seeing the third octet changed in the address bar.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Mar 03, 2013 17:52

blip wrote:Are you removing the leading zeros in the address? You should be entering something like 192.168.0.20:49152/index.txt rather than 192.168.000.020:49152/index.txt.
rickm wrote: I noted that the third set of numbers should have been 000, but this came up just as 0.
make me think you are entering the leading zeros but then seeing the third octet changed in the address bar.
I read rickm's post as that he had removed leading zeros. For the first two octets (192.168, the base of the private network range) there's no leading zero issue when copying an IP address from the Beyonwiz Network setup. The third octet in his case is 0, and likewise, it doesn't matter whether 0 or 000 is used. It's only in the fourth and final octet that there might be leading zero problems, and then only if the last octet is larger than 7 (or 9 in many implementations). The problems occur if the code encoding the IP address into binary interprets leading zeros as being indicators that the octet is octal (base 8). Many implementations will interpret 10 as decimal 10, but 010 as decimal 8 (i.e. 10 base 8).

By the way, Rick, if you want to hide your network addresses, then you're better off writing them as 192.168.***.***, since the only private network addresses that start as 192 continue on as 192.168. Only the next two numbers need to be hidden (if you want to hide this information), since they are the only ones local to your network, once you've said that the first octet is 192. There are only three private network ranges: 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x and 192.168.x.x. 192.168.0.x, 10.0.0.x and 10.1.1.x seem to be the most frequently used private network addressing schemes used by Australian ISPs.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

rickm
Apprentice

Post by rickm » Tue Mar 05, 2013 16:58

Hi Peter,

I apologise that I have not got back to you sooner, but assume the Forum had problems with their server.
prl wrote:Can you get any more information about the error out of Google Chrome than what you've posted? Alternatively, what error do you get with other browsers (Internet Explorer or Firefox, say)?
The error message received in Chrome has changed as I am now on a different computer. Now it says:

Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 192.168.***.***:49152

The other computer definitely said:

Unable to contact the WizPnP server.
[Errno 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

Spelling error included.

With Firefox, I get:

Unable to connect.

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.***.***:49152. The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments. If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.

If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

The computer’s network connection is fine – I can go online OK for other purposes. As I said above, I have tried running all this with AVG disabled and to no avail. But is this enough? Might it still be running partially in the background?
prl wrote:The error in your OP indicates that you are most likely connecting to some IP device that does not have WizPnP's HTTP port, 49152, open, or that a firewall is blocking the access and returning an immediate "refused connection" error.
I’m not sure what “OP” means?
prl wrote:Do you get the error in Chrome pretty much immediately, or only after a delay?
Pretty much immediately.
prl wrote:In the first case, it could be that DHCP has assigned an IP address to another device that is the one that you think the Beyonwiz has (i.e. when you try to connect to the Beyonwiz, you're actually trying to connect to something else). However, the fact that you mention removing leading zeros in the IP address (changing something like 192.168.000.005 to 192.168.0.0) means it sounds like you've recently got the IP address from the Beyonwiz Networking setup. If you haven't recently checked the Beyonwiz IP address, make sure you have the right one.
OK. I got the IP address from YardWiz – it came up automatically as the last address I had used. Where else can I get the IP address? And what is DHCP?
prl wrote:In the second case, some firewall (most likely in your PC or router) is refusing to allow the connection to be made, and sending back a "refused connection" message. That's the less usual way that firewalls block connections. They more frequently drop connection request packets for blocked ports on the floor, making the connecting application time out. Timing out rather than blocking immediately is a greater inconvenience to people trying to scan your network to exploit possible security problems.
It didn’t time out.

How do I check the router? As I’ve already said, I disabled AVG and it didn’t make any difference.

G’day fellow Aussie (blip),
blip wrote:Are you removing the leading zeros in the address? You should be entering something like 192.168.0.20:49152/index.txt rather than 192.168.000.020:49152/index.txt.
I’ve tried both ways. Neither work.

blip wrote:By the way, Rick, if you want to hide your network addresses, then you're better off writing them as 192.168.***.***, since the only private network addresses that start as 192 continue on as 192.168. Only the next two numbers need to be hidden (if you want to hide this information), since they are the only ones local to your network, once you've said that the first octet is 192. There are only three private network ranges: 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x and 192.168.x.x. 192.168.0.x, 10.0.0.x and 10.1.1.x seem to be the most frequently used private network addressing schemes used by Australian ISPs.
Thanks for that. I’ll know for the future (if I remember. I'm an older f**t and my brain does not work as well as it used to).
blip wrote:Makes me think you are entering the leading zeros but then seeing the third octet changed in the address bar.
Yes, that’s correct. However, I tried it both ways, with 000 and 0. It didn’t make any difference.

Cheers,

Rick

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Mar 05, 2013 17:12

The .0. vs .000. part of the IP address isn't relevant, even on systems that interpret IP address octets with a leading zero as octal, because 0 base 10 = 0 base 8. Similarly, leading zeros in 001 .. 007 can never cause problems even on systems that do this leading zero convention, for reasons which I hope are obvious. Frequently 008 and 009 will also get interpreted as decimal 8 and 9 respectively. On such systems, though, 010 will get interpreted as decimal 8.

The leading-zero convention is most often seen in Unix or Unix-like systems like Linux and OS X. I'm not sure if it affects Windows.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Mar 05, 2013 17:33

rickm wrote:...I’m not sure what “OP” means?
Sorry, Original Post or Original Poster. In this topic, you, or your first post, depending on the context :)
rickm wrote:...
prl wrote:In the first case, it could be that DHCP has assigned an IP address to another device that is the one that you think the Beyonwiz has (i.e. when you try to connect to the Beyonwiz, you're actually trying to connect to something else). However, the fact that you mention removing leading zeros in the IP address (changing something like 192.168.000.005 to 192.168.0.0) means it sounds like you've recently got the IP address from the Beyonwiz Networking setup. If you haven't recently checked the Beyonwiz IP address, make sure you have the right one.
OK. I got the IP address from YardWiz – it came up automatically as the last address I had used. Where else can I get the IP address? And what is DHCP?
You can get the IP address on the Beyonwiz in the SETUP>Network>Setting>Network Device>LAN. The IP Address field is the one you want.

DHCP is the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. It's used to sent Internet configuration information from the DHCP server (in most home networks, your router/ADSL modem) to any of the other devices on the network that request setup.
Using it can cause the IP address of your Beyonwiz to change over time, making the IP address stored in YARDWiz incorrect. For the browser test, you need to try it with the current IP address read from the Beyonwiz setup screen (with leading zeros stripped). If the IP address in YARDWiz is wrong, then using that IP address in the browser will cause the browser to get same kind of error that YARDWiz is getting. I was trying to work out whether the problem is that the old Beyonwiz IP address stored in YARDWiz was incorrect.

One of the other features of DHCP is that it re-uses discarded IP addresses. That means, say, that your PC could end up with the IP address your Beyonwiz once had. If you use that IP address in YARDWiz, then the error you get from it (and WizFX) is pretty much the one you've posted.

Sorry if that's not clear.

On many routers, there's an option to tell the router's DHCP server to issue an IP address to a device permanently, and this avoids the problem I've mentioned above. It also makes Windows file sharing to the Beyonwiz simpler to operate. If you post your modem/router's make and model number someone on the forum may be able to tell you how to do this. Even if it's not what's causing this problem, it's a good idea, anyway, because Beyonwizes don't really implement DHCP the way they should and don't behave the way they should on a network where other devices (esp. Windows files sharing servers) use DHCP in the way that DHCP is supposed to be used.
rickm wrote:
prl wrote:In the second case, some firewall (most likely in your PC or router) is refusing to allow the connection to be made, and sending back a "refused connection" message. That's the less usual way that firewalls block connections. They more frequently drop connection request packets for blocked ports on the floor, making the connecting application time out. Timing out rather than blocking immediately is a greater inconvenience to people trying to scan your network to exploit possible security problems.
It didn’t time out.

The fact that you get the error message straight away rather than with a 60sec or so timeout means it's more likely not a firewall problem, though it still could be.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

rickm
Apprentice

Post by rickm » Tue Mar 05, 2013 18:24

Thanks heaps Peter. The IP address had changed. I have to go out now and will try it with the new address tomorrow. (':D')

Cheers,

Rick :D :D :D

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Mar 05, 2013 18:37

rickm wrote:Thanks heaps Peter. The IP address had changed. I have to go out now and will try it with the new address tomorrow. (':D')

Cheers,

Rick :D :D :D
The latest (still in beta) version of YARDWiz doesn't remember Beyonwiz IP addresses, so YARDWiz has to search for Beyonwizes each time you use it. It adds a second or two the the time it takes to get going in YARDWiz, but it helps avoid problems like this. Some of the other more recent YARDWiz versions might also work this way.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Tue Mar 05, 2013 21:02

prl wrote:The latest (still in beta) version of YARDWiz doesn't remember Beyonwiz IP addresses, so YARDWiz has to search for Beyonwizes each time you use it. It adds a second or two the the time it takes to get going in YARDWiz, but it helps avoid problems like this. Some of the other more recent YARDWiz versions might also work this way.
Not quite, it's an option, though the default is not to cache addresses. Yes, it's just the beta, I only made that change in January.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Mar 06, 2013 08:16

Hi, Luke. Thanks for the clarification.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

rickm
Apprentice

Post by rickm » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:02

G'day Peter and Luke,

Thanks for your input here guys. It is most appreciated.
rickm wrote: . . . .The IP address had changed. I have to go out now and will try it with the new address tomorrow. ':D'
Yes, it had changed and I updated the files in YARDWiz and WizFX. Unfortunately, this didn't help and I still got the same error message in YARDWiz. WizFX now says:

"Socket error # 10061. Connection refused".

I have YARDWiz version 0.4.2.1. Should I update this to the beta version?

Cheers,

Rick.

rickm
Apprentice

Post by rickm » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:12

Hi Peter,
prl wrote:It sounds like it might be a firewall problem. If you go to URL http://my.bw.ip.ad:49152/index.txt (replace my.bw.ip.addr with the numeric IP adress of the Beyonwiz, omitting any leading zeros) in your favourite browser, what happens? The browser should download a text file containing a list of all your recordings and where they are stored on the Beyonwiz.
I tried that again using the correct IP address, with and without AVG disabled (incl. the firewall). I got the following message:

Your search - http://www.192.168.***.***:49152 did not find any results.

Suggestions:

Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
Try more general keywords.

Cheers,

Rick

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:51

rickm wrote:Hi Peter,
prl wrote:It sounds like it might be a firewall problem. If you go to URL http://my.bw.ip.ad:49152/index.txt (replace my.bw.ip.addr with the numeric IP adress of the Beyonwiz, omitting any leading zeros) in your favourite browser, what happens? The browser should download a text file containing a list of all your recordings and where they are stored on the Beyonwiz.
I tried that again using the correct IP address, with and without AVG disabled (incl. the firewall). I got the following message:

Your search - http://www.192.168.***.***:49152 did not find any results.

Suggestions:

Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
Try more general keywords.

Cheers,

Rick
It should be just the numerical IP address. http://192.168.***.***:49152/index.txt, not http://www.192.168.***.***:49152/index.txt
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

rickm
Apprentice

Post by rickm » Wed Mar 06, 2013 16:46

Sorry about that Peter -- I am a computer klutz ':oops:'

Well, I did that and got:

Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 192.168.***.***:49152
Suggestions:
Try reloading: 192.­168.­***.***:­49152/­index.­txt
Search on Google:

I did it both with AVG running (including the Firewall) and without it. I guess I have to pay a consultant to come and have a look at it ':('. I've bugged you guys enough. Again, thanks heaps for your efforts.

Cheers,

Rick :(

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Mar 06, 2013 16:54

I wish browser writers would stop treating us like idiots and tell us what the actual HTTP error (4xx and 5xx messages) was. They could add explanatory text if they liked, but the error messages themselves aren't all that scary.

"Oops!" indeed! Bah! Humbug!
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 21:06

My post disappeared from this thread.... did you ensure you were putting the correct IP address for your wiz, as seen from the Wiz network page? This address can change when your router and/or Wiz is rebooted depending on how you have the router setup.
Also, you don't need to obscure 192.168.x.x addresses since these are private, the internet cannot hack your wiz if it has a 192.168 address as it is in a home LAN setup behind a NAT router...
Tony

rickm
Apprentice

Post by rickm » Sun Mar 17, 2013 16:50

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, I have given up on the issue and a consultant from Sturman Electronics (Wollongong) are coming on Tuesday afternoon to look it over for me. I felt that I had wasted more than enough time from you guys. I do understand that it is very difficult assessing the problems with someone's setup remotely when you can't check the settings and/or fiddle with it yourself. That being said, you guys do a sterling job and have helped me avoid several hours of consultant's fees in the past. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Rick

rickm
Apprentice

Post by rickm » Tue Mar 19, 2013 15:38

G'day everyone,

Just to bring you up-to-date, the consultant came and, without my prompting, did everything that I had already done or you had advised to do, but to no avail. He did do a couple of extra things, though, like:

1. Restoring factory settings on BeyonWiz
2. Checking if the problem occurred on another networked computer (it did)
3. In discussions with BeyonWiz Technical Support, downloaded and installed new firmware (a beta version, 351).

I would like the system to operate as well as it can for another week or so. So, the consultant is coming back and taking BeyonWiz away to check it out after that. I'll be pretty sore if BeyonWiz has failed me again -- I had it in for repairs under warranty just 10 months ago. I don't know about you, but I expect electronic things to work better than that :x . I don't mind spending top dollar for a good product that brings no grief, but this, , , ,

Cheers,

Rick

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Mar 19, 2013 16:33

Error 10061 is what I'd expect if the IP address you were using to try to contact the Beyonwiz was the IP of a non-Beyonwiz device (or perhaps a Beyonwiz with its WizPnP server disabled).

Are you really sure that the IP address that you're trying to use to contact the Beyonwiz is the actual IP address of the Beyonwiz? The Beyonwiz's IP address can be found found in SETUP>Network>Setting>LAN, field IP Address.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

rickm
Apprentice

Post by rickm » Tue Mar 19, 2013 21:25

prl wrote:Error 10061 is what I'd expect if the IP address you were using to try to contact the Beyonwiz was the IP of a non-Beyonwiz device (or perhaps a Beyonwiz with its WizPnP server disabled).

Are you really sure that the IP address that you're trying to use to contact the Beyonwiz is the actual IP address of the Beyonwiz? The Beyonwiz's IP address can be found found in SETUP>Network>Setting>LAN, field IP Address.
Hi Peter,

Yes, thanks again mate. I have checked that several times. The first time I did it, I found that the IP address had changed and thought my problem was solved, but not so. I updated it on my computer, but that didn't help. The consultant likewise checked it out several times on two separate computers and using both YARDWiz and WizFX. He had the same problems :( .

Cheers,

Rick

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Mar 19, 2013 21:55

Wierd.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”