Direct copy says 'read only'

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

felgall
On probation

Direct copy says 'read only'

Post by felgall » Mon Aug 27, 2012 07:37

I can copy from the Beyonwiz DP-P2 to a Readynas Duo via a computer using wizfx but doing so means that the computer has to be on while the copy is taking place. I can play files from the readynas duo with the computer off. The same applies with a usb drive connected directly to the router.

When I try to initiate the copy from the Beyonwiz (which can see various drives on the readynas, router's usb drive and the PC) it says that the destination drive is 'read only' regardless of which drive I select. Each of the drives is set to share read/write access and I can write successfully to all of them using another PC on the network.

That indicates to me that there is a problem in the setup of the Beyonwiz where for some reason it only gets read access to drives that ar read/write across the rest of the network. If it were somewhere else then I would expect to be able to write to one drive but not another. I have tried all the settings I can think of but none seem to make any difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what settings might be wrong in order to cause this problem.

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Mon Aug 27, 2012 07:55

Sounds like an authentication problem, check the username and password you have set for the BW to use is actually working.

When connecting to to an SMB share, if the username and password attempt fails then the BW attempts a connect in "guest" mode, which usually has no access or read-only access.

Set the logging on your NAS or router to verbose, attempt a copy from the BW, then check the logs to see what happened with the connection.

felgall
On probation

Post by felgall » Mon Aug 27, 2012 19:17

I set up a separate folder on one of the NAS drives with its own user and set the BW to use that - so now it can write to that one folder. Still no idea why with all the other folders set to read/write by anyone that the BW can't write to those. I suppose moving files from that folder to one of the others on the same drive will be fairly quick and at least i know that files can't get accidentally deleted from the BW.

Thanks.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Aug 27, 2012 20:18

Hi Felgall,

The Beyonwiz will *always* try to authenticate with any file service. If the authentication fails then "Guest" access will be used. Generally "Guest" access does not allow write access to the file store. Remember that as well as adding a username and password into your Beyonwiz you will also need to ensure that the same username and password is defined on the ReadyNAS.

My Beyonwiz uses the same username and password that my PCs use to access and write to my ReadyNAS units. These accounts are also defined on my ReadyNAS units. I have no issues reading or writing to any NAS.

Regards,
Ian.

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”