My DP-P1 cant see new network - seriously frustrated!

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

SteveThePerplexed

My DP-P1 cant see new network - seriously frustrated!

Post by SteveThePerplexed » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:05

Hi All,

I have had my Beyonwiz for a few years now, and even my wife who is a technology hater (we are an odd pairing) loves the PVR. It has been a calm existence, despite the original grief I had networking it to start with, but I got it all sorted at the time and it has been love ever since.

Along comes my new Telstra Bigpond Cable Internet Gateway (which I do love, despite the trouble it has caused) and a need to re-setup my network. My laptop wireless connects to the new internet and can see the shared folders on my PC, no worries.

Similarly, the second TV which uses a WD HDTV live box to watch those files (on the PC in shared folders) my older DP-P1 cant do (or at least not very well) can see the network/internet/shared folders too.

But my BeyonWiz has said NO. It can't detect the network, so it has no internet (for my trusty IceTV guide which I want back badly) and therefore of course cant see the shared folders either.

It is on a wired connection straight to the router/gateway, I have tested the connection again with my laptop and it can see the internet and the shared PC folders through the wiring, so I didn't think it was the cable but needed to check anyway.

I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on the PC and don't use any account names/passwords. Getting the IP address through the PC's command prompt and manually entering it in the BW network setup doesn't work (which from memory may have been what I did the first time around years ago), nor does the auto detect option.

I am in desperate need of help, I have been combing the forum posts for ideas and playing for a couple of weeks with the problem and gotten no where (I am not an IT person but not a complete noob either, normally I can find what I need to fix things, but this one is beyond me :cry: ).

Can anyone suggest how I can fix this?

Thanks for reading my mammoth post.

Steve

Gully

Post by Gully » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:10

Just to start, did you clear all PCs and do a fresh scan on the Wiz?
Cheers
Gully

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Aug 16, 2012 13:21

Hi Steve,

When you changed the router did Windows "reset" the network interface? If so, the firewall and/or sharing settings may also have been reset. The Windows 7 default networking options are unfriendly to Windows XP style shares and will need to be reconfigured.

Regards,
Ian.

SteveThePerplexed

Post by SteveThePerplexed » Fri Aug 17, 2012 20:59

Hi Gully, yep, several times, no joy.

Ian, not sure, possibly. I did re-share the folders and checked all the permissions were open. They look ok from the WD TV live and a second old XP laptop I have kicking around that can see the network and the share folders. That should be enough maybe?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Re: My DP-P1 cant see new network - seriously frustrated!

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Aug 17, 2012 21:22

SteveThePerplexed wrote:But my BeyonWiz has said NO. It can't detect the network, so it has no internet (for my trusty IceTV guide which I want back badly) and therefore of course cant see the shared folders either.
Given the above (no ICE guide), I'd say your "new Telstra Bigpond Cable Internet Gateway" isn't dishing out an IP address to your 'Wiz.
Can you fix an IP address (outside of DHCP range) on this router for the MAC address of the 'Wiz?

Cheers
Geoff

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 22:39

This is probably too basic, but as it hasn't been mentioned;

Does the new router work from different address base? e.g. 192.168.2.xx instead of 192.168.1.xx
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

SteveThePerplexed

Post by SteveThePerplexed » Sat Aug 18, 2012 09:43

Hi Geoff, I can change the IP address, but I dont know what "(outside of DHCP range) on this router for the MAC address of the 'Wiz" means.

Paul, I went back into the router setting and the windows network via IP config to check it all again, and it seems correct. It is sitting in 192.168.0.8 which is what I am using on the Wiz.

In the router settings under LAN IP I can see DHCP is on, and I cleared DHCP client leases just for the hell of it. I think that changed my PCs IP address so I went through the motions again and had a little progress.

On the Beyonwiz the DHCP still doesnt work, but manually entering the PC's IP address, subnet Mask and Default Gateway, then using the router's Primary & Secondary DNS Server IP addresses no longer gives the LAN Setup Failure, which is all I used to get. Instead it quotes the settings back to me.

However, I still cant access the network (no share folders appear when I clear PCs and re-scan, though at least this can be done, before I couldn't even do that) and I cant get IceTV to verify my account and work, so I don't think it can see the internet either.

I am at bit confused, have I somehow fooled the Wiz to thinking it has connected to the network when it hasn't?

DHCP used to work, was so much easier :)

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:40

Hi Steve,
I’m not a LAN expert by a long shot; I know just enough to get into or out of trouble.

However, in my notes under ‘Changing from DHCP to a static IP address on the Beyonwiz’ under (‘Setup > Network > Setting > Network Device > LAN > IP Address’) I have written:

“Gateway: Check this as the 3rd & 4th number group changes on the wiz when disabling DHCP.”
AND
“Primary DNS Server IP: Check this as the 3rd & 4th number group changes on the wiz when disabling DHCP.”

I don’t know if this is just something to do with my configuration or not, but I always have to correct the Gateway & the Primary DNS Server IP in the wiz setup after changing the wiz from DHCP to a static IP address (disabling DHCP). For some reason both these change, but once corrected & saved they remain on the correct setting. I have my wiz’s static IP addresses outside (above) the router’s DHCP range.

This may not be your latest problem but make sure your Gateway & Primary DNS Server IP hasn’t changed on the wiz after disabling DHCP.
Dennis
U4, Bluey USB tuner, WizTV > Yamaha RX-V3900 > Sony KDL46X2000 TV ||
U4, Bluey USB tuner > Sony KD-43X85J TV > Yamaha YAS-209 || FTA EPG ||
Harmony 650s || (U4s on 19.3.20200901 & T2 on 19.3.20200823) ||
Technicolor DJA0230TLS modem/router, Ethernet LAN, Win10 Home 64 ||

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:09

SteveThePerplexed wrote:Hi Geoff, I can change the IP address, but I dont know what "(outside of DHCP range) on this router for the MAC address of the 'Wiz" means.
Your router will have a range of addresses it will give out to the clients if they ask for an IP address using DHCP. For my Billion, the range is 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.20.
On the Beyonwiz the DHCP still doesnt work, but manually entering the PC's IP address, subnet Mask and Default Gateway, then using the router's Primary & Secondary DNS Server IP addresses no longer gives the LAN Setup Failure, which is all I used to get. Instead it quotes the settings back to me.
I don't think the IP address should be that of you PC.
Additionally, check your subnet mask value.

Here are my 'Wiz settings are -

Code: Select all

Network Device            LAN
DHCP                      Enable
IP Address	             192.168.001.053 
Subnet Mask               255.255.255.000
Gateway                   192.168.001.254
Primary DNS Server IP     192.168.001.254
Secondary DNS Server IP   000.000.000.000
MAC Address               xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
I've left DHCP enabled, but my router has the 'Wiz's MAC address listed, for each of my two 'Wizzes, to give out an allocated IP address to that 'Wiz when the 'Wiz asks for an IP address.
IP Address - 'Wiz gets this from the router, it's not fixed on 'Wiz.
Gateway - this is the address of my router
Primary DNS Server IP - this is the address of my router

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:15

SteveThePerplexed wrote:On the Beyonwiz the DHCP still doesnt work, but manually entering the PC's IP address, subnet Mask and Default Gateway, then using the router's Primary & Secondary DNS Server IP addresses no longer gives the LAN Setup Failure, which is all I used to get. Instead it quotes the settings back to me.
Do you have the ethernet cable connected to the WAN port on the Telstra Bigpond Cable Internet Gateway? If so it should be connected to one of the LAN ports.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”