Using Shares with DP-S1 (Some FAQ)

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 08:36

Write: Most definitely
Delete: I haevn't tried.
Tony

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:55

Hi,
tonymy01 wrote:Write: Most definitely
Delete: I haevn't tried.
Delete: Most definitely

;)

Regards,
Ian.

glen
Guru

Post by glen » Mon Aug 18, 2008 18:44

I reset the share up with the appropriate permissions and this time it worked.

Looks like it is necessary to drop all shares from the BW and then re-discover shares.

Thanks for your assistance.

Glen

alect
Apprentice

Need help - sharing not being enabled.

Post by alect » Wed Aug 20, 2008 23:13

I set up my sharing username and password on the BW S1.

I then created the same account on my PC (Vista Home Premium).

I then go to the folder where I saved my downloaded video files (eg torrents) and right click/properties and go to the Share tab. Under SHaring I add the beyonwiz user I created to access this folder.

When I click on "Share" it tells me this folder could not be shared ? :shock:

I have gone into sharing in Vista and enabled all fo the sharing options including Passwrod Protected Sharing.

When I scan on the BW it finds my router and can see subfolders on it, but that's it.

I tried to allow the ports and NetBIOS over TCP/IP but I could't see any instruction for Vista and the XP Pro instructions apparently are not the same for Vista as I couldn't follow the seuqence and find the right options (ie under TCP/IP config).

Any help appreciated.

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Thu Aug 21, 2008 00:08

Have a look at this topic on Vista: http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=538
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 00:10

Is the share on the desktop or on a FAT32 drive? I don't know anything about vista, but maybe both of those things are bad... you more than likely need it on a NTFS drive, dunno about the desktop thing, but who knows with vista!?
Tony

alect
Apprentice

Post by alect » Thu Aug 21, 2008 09:58

tonymy01 wrote:Is the share on the desktop or on a FAT32 drive? I don't know anything about vista, but maybe both of those things are bad... you more than likely need it on a NTFS drive, dunno about the desktop thing, but who knows with vista!?
The share folder is on my drive on my laptop and is NTFS.

raymundy
Apprentice

Post by raymundy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 00:17

I simply checked in the LAN properties to have "client for microsoft networks'' turned ON... Everything worked after that, and i found with or without most of the settings described before me....
I have tried just about everything on this post without success. I can ping the BW. I can see that my files are shared on the main PC but still cannot get the BW to see them. How do I turn off the "client for microsoft networks" as discribed in
Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciate

buggosplat
Apprentice

Post by buggosplat » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:07

Not sure if it will help or not, i've spent hours trying to get the wiz to see the files off my pc, from this basic step by step guide i was finally able to get it working

http://www.cnet.com.au/software/operati ... 210000110c

Unknown
Apprentice

Post by Unknown » Tue May 19, 2009 05:37

Hi - need some advice here on Server 2003 and the beyonwiz...

I have SBS installed and works fine. I created a beyonwiz account and I can log in to a local pc and see the shares but the beyonwiz wont see them. It sees other shares on my vista pc and external hard disk but not SBS.

I changed the security settings for the domain controller as described on the first page - no effect. Likewise, enabling the guest account and including the user everyone also had no effect.

I can ping the beyonwiz from the server but it does not show up in the scan from the beyonwiz or if i try to add it manually - even where the beyonwiz uses the SBS server as dhcp, gateway, dns server.

Anyone help?

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Tue May 19, 2009 08:14

Are you in a corporate environment? Why do you need that at home?
Anyway, the Wiz login is using a samba like client, so domain logins are a pipe dream. You need to provide a local login account on your server.
I wouldn't have a clue what SBS is either? Definitely not something I have ever heard mentioned before in the Windows sharing realm. I have to plead ignorance about corporate sharing and domain stuff though (did muck with trying to setup a samba server to operate successfully in a domain environment many years ago.. and of course didn't have domain administrative rights to be able to make the domain controller pass the credentials through, so had to tell end users to do a bit of trickery to get into the server).
Tony

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue May 19, 2009 10:00

Hi Tony,

"SBS" is Microsoft's Small Business Server. This is usually a Server version of the O/S with things like Active Directory, Exchange, IIS, SQL etc layered on top.

There is no way that the Beyonwiz is capable or doing an Active Directory type login. I seem to remember someone posted how to dumb down the Active Directory security model to the Window's workgroup level but I am not sure about that.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue May 19, 2009 11:14

Perhaps SBS (in this context) is Windows Small Business Server 2003?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:13

Yes, Ian has indicated as such and I believe him :-) Still don't quite know why a Wiz is hanging around in this kind of environment, I guess it could be used to play corporate videos and such :-)
Tony

Unknown
Apprentice

Post by Unknown » Tue May 19, 2009 19:00

I use small business server basically for exchange - my own email domains and integration with windows mobile - nothing corporate about it. Just my wife and I with shared contacts, calendars, etc over computers and mobile phones.

Anyway....

Looks like I will have to put the beyonwiz filesharing onto vmware if there is no workaround....

Cheers.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Tue May 19, 2009 19:17

There is a work around. Give the username/password details in the Wiz of a local non-domain account on your server. This means setting up a local non-domain account on your server :-)
Tony

Unknown
Apprentice

Post by Unknown » Tue May 19, 2009 19:28

Not an mcse but I dont think you can have local accounts on a domain controller....

weetbix
Apprentice

Post by weetbix » Thu May 21, 2009 16:04

Nope once the server is setup as a DC access to the local SAM is removed hence no local accounts.
One thing you could try is to enter the username in the Beyonwiz as domain\user and see if that works. The domain portion would be just the short NetBIOS version not the full Active Directory FQDN version.

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Fri May 22, 2009 00:05

weetbix wrote:One thing you could try is to enter the username in the Beyonwiz as domain\user and see if that works. The domain portion would be just the short NetBIOS version not the full Active Directory FQDN version.
You can't use slashes in the wiz keyboard, so there's no way to enter the username in the Beyonwiz as domain\user... unless it's possible to enter it via telnet.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

Unknown
Apprentice

Post by Unknown » Fri May 22, 2009 04:27

Thanks for the advice. I ended up using clarkconnect running on vmware as a gateway between the windows shares and the beyonwiz.

Maybe adding domain logins could be looked at in a firmware upgrade...

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Fri May 22, 2009 08:24

LOL, not a chance. About 0.01% of users would have a domain setup at home I am sure. A better option is for Beyonwiz to make WizFX also do WizPNP streaming in the direction towards the Wiz, and I reckon this will be more efficient also than silly Windows networking.
Tony

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri May 22, 2009 11:40

Hi Tony,

There is also the option of adding NFS type shares. This has the benefit of working directly with more systems directly. It is also reported that file transfers via NFS are much faster as there is less overhead involved.

Regards,
Ian.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:50

Yep, I was advocating that in the early days because a Chinese media player with the Sigma chipset was always pushing that SMB windows shares are significantly more inefficient than NFS for streaming HD stuff to a resource tight box. But to get NFS working on anything other than Linux required hoops to jump through (but then again, trying to explain to people how to setup Windows shares can often be frustrating too!)
This same company also said 802.11g wireless was simply not good enough for HD streaming, and to use either wired or direct USB... thus my push to go wired for anyone not happy with wireless performance. Mind you, there were that many complaints on this media player forum of poor support, bug fixes introducing worse bugs, and poor manufacturing QC with loose screws in the shipped from China units that people were linking to photos literally showing this junk heap being used as a door stop (LOTs of infant mortality problems due to poor QC no doubt). The vendor dis-owned the support forums and starting selling completely different hardware, of course no one (on the English forums at least) bothered to upgrade because once bitten twice shy.
Last edited by tonymy01 on Fri May 22, 2009 14:30, edited 1 time in total.
Tony

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri May 22, 2009 13:49

There are user space NFS servers available that are as simple as running a simple program and choosing the directory to export. It can end up being simpler than Windows networking.

I believe that Microsoft used to have an NFS server available as a free download (if you looked hard enough).

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri May 22, 2009 14:48

Hi Peter,
peteru wrote:I believe that Microsoft used to have an NFS server available as a free download (if you looked hard enough).
They still do. It is within the SFU package (Services For Unix) and yes it is free.

Regards,
Ian.

Rockets
Master

Post by Rockets » Sun May 24, 2009 18:00

IanSav wrote: They still do. It is within the SFU package (Services For Unix) and yes it is free.

Regards,
Ian.
SFU was integrated in to Windows 2003 R2. Just add the NFS server via Add/Remove Programs - Components - other file and print. Windows Vista & Windows 7 both have a NFS client only where as the server OS have both server and client.

You shouldn't need to use a domain\username format when your authenticating directly to the domain controller ie a share on the DC as it only has Active Directory to look at for authentication. For member server or workstations then you require the domain\username format so the machine knows what to do with the authentication request.

The main reason why the Beyonwiz won't connect to the SBS box will be due to SMB signing being forced at the domain controller security policy level. See the document linked below - it talks about changing the security policies to allow Mac's to use SBS 03. As OS 10 uses SAMBA under the hood for Windows file shares like the beyonwiz does the following document will also apply. Step 4 is the relevant section.

http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/deta ... laylang=en
Rockets
Beyonwiz T3 1TB - DP-P1
Denon 3312 - Bi-Amped Epos ELS 303 Floor Standers, Athena LSC50 Centre
Samsung UA50F5000 50" LCD
Foxtel IQ2, OpenELEC NUC, AppleTV4K

Unknown
Apprentice

Post by Unknown » Sun May 24, 2009 20:29

:D

You are a legend Rockets.

Step 4 worked a charm. SBS 2003 and beyonwiz happily talking!

Thanks heaps.

pellajl
Apprentice

Post by pellajl » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:55

Compatible

Make: BUFFALO
Model: LinkStationQuad - LS-QL81C
Size: 4TB
Connection used: Ethernet (100Mb/s at the moment)
Disk/Fan Noise: Very quiet
Transfer speed: (MB/sec): 800-900Kb/sec (using Wireless network in BW)
Ease of set up: Easy
Other features: See link to Buffalo

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/net ... tion-quad/

Problems experienced: Can?t copy files to the NAS from both DP-S1 Units. In fact I can?t copy files between both DP-S1 Units. No problems copying from PCs to NAS. Still investigating...... :(

However DP-S1 Units can read from the NAS.

EDIT: Added User ID and PSW to NAS folder and BW Windows Share and copy works. :D
Last edited by pellajl on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:50, edited 1 time in total.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:16

Hi Pellajl,

Have you read the FAQ posts about setting up the login accounts on the Beyonwiz and your NAS? Have you set the access privileges so that the Beyonwiz has write access to the NAS? If you are relying on Guest access then you will never have write access.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:19

pellajl wrote:... In fact I can?t copy files between both DP-S1 Units. ...
That's not possible to do directly anyway, so don't waste any effort trying to make it work. The only way to do that is a double copy - copy to NAS or PC, then copy back to the other Beyonwiz.

As for the other problems: as IanSav said.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

pellajl
Apprentice

Post by pellajl » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:46

IanSav wrote:Hi Pellajl,

Have you read the FAQ posts about setting up the login accounts on the Beyonwiz and your NAS? Have you set the access privileges so that the Beyonwiz has write access to the NAS? If you are relying on Guest access then you will never have write access.

Regards,
Ian.
Ian,

Thank you for your response.....

Yes, I did read the FAQs and after did what was suggested (add User ID and PSW to NAS and Windows Share in BW) an it worked!!! :D

I notice I posted in the wrong place. Can I get it shifted?

Regards

John

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:05

pellajl wrote:...
I notice I posted in the wrong place. Can I get it shifted?
It looks like a perfectly sensible place to post to me.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

pellajl
Apprentice

Post by pellajl » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:06

... In fact I can?t copy files between both DP-S1 Units. ...
That's not possible to do directly anyway, so don't waste any effort trying to make it work. The only way to do that is a double copy - copy to NAS or PC, then copy back to the other Beyonwiz.
This is just plain dumb of BW not to enable copying of files between BW units.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:08

Hi John,
pellajl wrote:Thank you for your response.....
No problems.
pellajl wrote:Yes, I did read the FAQs and after did what was suggested (add User ID and PSW to NAS and Windows Share in BW) an it worked!!! :D
;)

That's what the FAQs are there for.
pellajl wrote:I notice I posted in the wrong place. Can I get it shifted?
I can't do that but I don't think it is a problem.

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:10

Hi John,
pellajl wrote:This is just plain dumb of BW not to enable copying of files between BW units.
The Beyonwiz units are not computers and don't run the full SAMBA package. They will, however, stream to each other.

Regards,
Ian.

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun Aug 09, 2009 13:17

pellajl wrote:I notice I posted in the wrong place. Can I get it shifted?
Hi John

Not really - we can only split.

So it would be best for you to copy your post yourself to the NAS topic.
Cheers
Gully

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”