DP-P1 Does 'See' All MPEG4 Files

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

oneword
Apprentice

DP-P1 Does 'See' All MPEG4 Files

Post by oneword » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:14

I have transferred 500 DVD titles to MPEG4 and have them stored on a Synology NAS 1511+ in two folders: 'Movies' and 'TV'. All titles were transferred using the same software and audio/video codecs.

The DP-P1 plays the transcoded files perfectly via the USB port.

However, via network connection, it 'sees' a maximum of 36 titles of the 400+ in the 'Movies' folder.

The 'TV' folder is divided into sub-folders by program title. The Wiz sees some files in one sub-folder, no files in another sub-folder. It's hit and miss.

The Wiz is connected to the home network wirelessly via Netgear WNC2001 adapter which has been performing very well.

Would appreciate any guidance on why so many MPEG4 files are 'missing' from the DP-P1 network search results.

Thanks for a terrific forum.

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:47

I have moved this to Networking your Beyonwiz as a more appropriate area and you will find discussions and hints here about setting up NAS.

From first reading, it sounds like a permissions/sharing problem rather than anything about the codec.
Cheers
Gully

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:10

Hi Oneword,

Have you configured the windows login details in the Beyonwiz SETUP menu? Does the NAS have a matching username? Has the NAS granted *that* username appropriate access to all the shares, folders and files?

Regards,
Ian.

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Sun Sep 25, 2011 19:30

You might want to read through this thread, which unfortunately seems to be unresolved. It might give you some lines of investigation to follow.

oneword
Apprentice

Post by oneword » Sun Sep 25, 2011 20:54

IanSav wrote:Hi Oneword,

Have you configured the windows login details in the Beyonwiz SETUP menu? Does the NAS have a matching username? Has the NAS granted *that* username appropriate access to all the shares, folders and files?

Regards,
Ian.
Thanks for replying, Ian. Yes, Windows login details on Wiz and NAS all correct and matching. NAS has granted appropriate access. I thought the matter had been resolved earlier today with all of the transferred files appearing in the DP-P1. Unfortunately, next time I checked some were missing again. Frustrating, particularly as everything is in order and it works - sometimes.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sun Sep 25, 2011 21:19

Make sure that all file and folder names are only 7-bit ASCII characters. Various accented characters will break things in (sometimes) subtle ways.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

grl
Master

Post by grl » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:40

So when you are in a directory with missing files what happens when you use the left and right arrow keys to move between the media filetypes (at the top.) You should try using both arrows to see if anything changes in the listed files as the media type changes.
DP-P2, HDMI, Samsung LA32A650A1
DP-P2, composite, Sharp CRT

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Sep 27, 2011 13:12

grl wrote:So when you are in a directory with missing files what happens when you use the left and right arrow keys to move between the media filetypes (at the top.) You should try using both arrows to see if anything changes in the listed files as the media type changes.
I think (but I'm not absolutely certain) that the file player relies entirely on the filename extension and whether it's a file or folder to determine whether to show a file as a media file, and to classify what type of media file it is (video/audio/image), so I'd be surprised if that made a difference, but it's trivial to find out :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

raymondjpg
Guru

Re: DP-P1 Does 'See' All MPEG4 Files

Post by raymondjpg » Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:31

oneword wrote:However, via network connection, it 'sees' a maximum of 36 titles of the 400+ in the 'Movies' folder.
This is a long shot but I had a similar problem. Uninstalling my avast antivirus solved the problem. See this thread http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewt ... ight=avast.

Why, I do not know.

Everything has been working fine since I started using Microsoft Security Essentials instead.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

grl
Master

Re: DP-P1 Does 'See' All MPEG4 Files

Post by grl » Wed Sep 28, 2011 08:45

raymondjpg wrote:
oneword wrote:However, via network connection, it 'sees' a maximum of 36 titles of the 400+ in the 'Movies' folder.
This is a long shot but I had a similar problem. Uninstalling my avast antivirus solved the problem. See this thread http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewt ... ight=avast.

Why, I do not know.
If we are talking about a NAS presenting files to the beyonwiz then there should be no anti-virus issues. Your problem involved a PC.
DP-P2, HDMI, Samsung LA32A650A1
DP-P2, composite, Sharp CRT

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 14:20

Except most anti virus progs these days have a firewall included.
Also it is possible an antivirus prog might lock a file while checking it?
Tony

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 14:22

Except most anti virus progs these days have a firewall included.
Also it is possible an antivirus prog might lock a file while checking it?
Tony

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”