Power Line Ethernet Bridges do work

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

mick_queensland
Master

Power Line Ethernet Bridges do work

Post by mick_queensland » Sat Nov 29, 2008 14:01

Hi All,

as I said in another thread here, I would report back on how well my network plan worked out.
I am using a Netgear Wireless ADSL 4Port Router to connect to the internet and my PC. I have now added a power line network using four 200Mbps Power Line Ethernet Bridges to connect my DP-S1, DP-P1 & DP-H1 to the Router. Setup of the Power Line Ethernet Bridges was extremely easy and they were working within minutes.
I had configured all the wizzers already so they worked right away. I have streamed a Ch7HD recording from the DP-S1 to the another wizzer while at the same time recording a Ch7HD program on the DP-S1. Only thing I had to do was to put the DP-S1 display to show the File Menu.
My Power Line network is encrypted so no eavesdroppers from next door.
My house is pretty new (2000) so I have good wiring. The units dont work at maximum throughput but the worst bandwidth is more than sufficient for wizzer connection. Your house may not work as well though. The units I used are 200Mbps Half Duplex for the techo types.
I got the Repotec Power Line 200M Ethernet Bridge units online for $87 each and you need at least two. They create a network so you can use one for each device and one for the connection to your router switch. Each unit added will dilute your available bandwidth so dont go overboard on how many you get. Hardwiring is still the best. Try to use Cat5e or Cat6 wire.

Cheers Mick
V2 1TB SSD -> LG OLED C3 4K 48"; U4-1TB -> LG OLED C2 4K 65", Yamaha RX-V385 AV Receiver, Headphone Amp, Beyer DT-990 phones, Pioneer BDP-140; T2 1TB HDD -> Samsung UA43tu8000w Smart TV 43"; T3-2000 -> GVA G48tv15 48"; IceTV, GB LAN, NAS 3TB RAID1

Swordfish805
Master

Post by Swordfish805 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 15:48

Powerline networking is quite feasible with beyonwiz units. I use several Netgear powerline units (the 85Mbs variety) and they work quite well between my S1 and H1 for most content (HD is somewhat difficult but the newer 200Mbs units may be able to handle HD requirements).

The issue with powerline networking is you won't really know how well it might work in your house until you try it. I think it depends on the quality of wiring, whether the house has one phase or two phase power (ie whether you are trying to network on the one power circuit or not) and the distance between the units.

paulm
Apprentice

Post by paulm » Mon Dec 01, 2008 15:57

How resistant are these things to power surges etc?

Seeing as you can't plug them through a surge protector without degrading performance and parts of the device are actually doing signal processing on the power wires I'd be worried that they'd be even more prone to failures caused by unclean power.

mick_queensland
Master

Post by mick_queensland » Mon Dec 01, 2008 23:14

Hi,

I had a "brown out" the first day I had the powerline units connected. It tripped my Monster Power Board out so it must have been significant. None of my powerline units were affected and are all working perfectly. I suspect they are reasonably protected. Mine are multivoltage so that will help. Of course every type of unit is going to be different. If you are that worried then you should run cables. Running cables in my place is almost impossible so these units provide a perfect solution. I have the 200Mbps units and they handle HD without any problems.

Bottom line is the price. Compared the running cables through the ceilings, up and down the inside and outside walls, and drilling through several 200mm concrete walls, the powerline units were a piece of cake to install. I was happy to pay the money for the units.

Cheers
Mick
V2 1TB SSD -> LG OLED C3 4K 48"; U4-1TB -> LG OLED C2 4K 65", Yamaha RX-V385 AV Receiver, Headphone Amp, Beyer DT-990 phones, Pioneer BDP-140; T2 1TB HDD -> Samsung UA43tu8000w Smart TV 43"; T3-2000 -> GVA G48tv15 48"; IceTV, GB LAN, NAS 3TB RAID1

Stunkrat
Apprentice

Post by Stunkrat » Tue Dec 02, 2008 07:58

I run a couple of the Netcomm 200mbps jobs, and they work perfectly well at my place. One in the office connected to the router, one in the lounge room connected to a switch. HD FTA streams flawlessly.

If the price doesn't scare you, and if they work at your place, then they're a good solution.

mick_queensland
Master

Helpful website and update on powerline network performance

Post by mick_queensland » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:50

Hi,

I thought I would update this thread with some more info.
A while ago my powerline gadgets developed a weird problem. In the end I replaced the gadgets with 2 sets of TPLink 200mbps gadgets which solved all issues. So, if you are having weird issues with powerline gadgets one of them may be bad even though it still shows a good network connection. Very Weird. The new ones are working perfectly and have been for ages by the way.

Anyway, I recently came across a link that may help powerline network users, or help make your mind up about getting them. Check it out here. http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/l ... work-speed

Cheers,
Mick

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”