BW Compatible / Incompatible NAS Drives

PC, Mac and Linux Networking Hints and Tips.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

baobab68
Master

Post by baobab68 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 22:41

As promised here is my update on the success of this NAS I bought from eBay, as mentioned in my previous post.

It's been fiddly to set up, but I have it working and hooray! the BW can now see my Samsung S2 portable hard drive over the network and can play media files from it.

The main issues I came across:

- you need to update the device to a community-developed OS build called "SnakeOS" before it will really run stably.
- the device comes onto the network as 192.168.0.240 by default, so I had to reconfigure my PC temporarily in order to be able to reach that address.
- NTFS disks on this NAS run really slowly. It's fast enough to stream a movie from, but I wouldn't want to copy big files onto the drives.
- Windows 7 requires some policy changes to be made, before it will map drives to this device. I've kept details of what they were, in case anyone is interested.

I recommend this device for people who are pretty good with networking principles, and who just want a simple means of connecting otherwise unconnectable drives to the BW. At least it was nice and cheap.

Next task is to try and use it to share my printer, so we don't always have to turn on the PC that the printer's connected to!

fat
Apprentice

Post by fat » Sat Oct 16, 2010 19:13

1.) Compatible
2.) Netgear ReadyNAS RNDU4000
3.) 2 x 2Tb Samsung HD204UI
4.) 100mb ethernet via Linksys SD205 switch > Belkin N1 Vision Router > Linksys SD208 switch
5.) Disk/Fan Noise - Quite loud on some occasions. Lounder than the PC next to it
6.) 13mbps trasnfer from wiz to NAS
7.) Easy to setup. Riun the disc and it syncs for you
8.) Haven't had time to put it through it paces just yet. It does stream 3 simultaneous HD .ts streams from 10HD that were recorded a few years ago. Once I get everything at the new place set up I will try sending 5 streams at once and see what happens

grunta
Master

----- FreeNas a big option ! -----

Post by grunta » Wed Nov 03, 2010 14:23

whilst to-ing and fro-ing on what to do --- simplicity verses cost verses flexibilty

and weighing up the immediate need, I thought I'd delay making a decision, and try a temporary solution (which may remain the solution) and give FreeNAS a go

with lots of crappy pc's laying about - what have I got to loose
well - 2 hrs later up and running like a dream (1 hr due to not being able to get something right)

about me
I'm comfortable building a pc from scratch, and can usually follow instructions gleamed from the web etc,
but I'm nowhere near the same league as Dave?, Gully, PeterU, Prl, Tonymy01, etc
but I've managed to sort this out easily, so most people here could also

this is valid for the novice
  • (where the problem arose)
  • you need to decide on where / how to store the operating system (this was not conveyed enough)
(this is where I ran into trouble [ FreeNAS doesn't obviously allow you to partition the 1st drive during install ] .......chucked in another drive and I was away)

Prefered methods:
  1. Install FreeNAS either
    on a thumb drive (bootable - system must support this, and bios changed)
    another hard drive other than the Data storage drive
    It can be installed on a partition of the Data storage drive, but this is not advised
[from what I can work out - the reason not to boot on the Data storage drive is safety, if your boot drive gets corrupt, or you screw up a setting, upgrade etc you can lose your data,
- keep the data on another drive, and you can just remount it, and off you go again]

then followed instructions from the web and youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZqGHKKI ... re=related

If you had everything, a pc ready to go - you could be up and running in 1 hr (including the format of the drive)
The beauty of this route is instantly upgradeable storage (buy another drive and whack it in as finances avail )
Grunta
DP-S1 firmware .301

nylon
Apprentice

Compatible NAS - Synology DS410

Post by nylon » Thu Feb 10, 2011 15:59

1.) Compatible
2.) Model - Synology DS410
3.) Capacity - 4 x 2TB formatted as RAID5
4.) Connection used - Ethernet - Lindy 8 port gigabit switch

5.) Disk/Fan Noise - Very quiet
6.) Transfer speed (MB/sec) Still to be seen
7.) Easy to install disks; big learning curve with lots of jargon with setup. Terms/acronyms not explained. Lots of "Let's turn this on and see what happens" stuff.
8.) Other features - Torrents, good control.

NOTE! I had 2 days of pain getting the Wiz to see the DS410 on the network. The secret was to look at the Wiz settings for 'Windows Sharing' (username and password) and create a user on the DS410 with the SAME username and password. Give the user full rights and - BINGO! - the DS410 appeared in the list of devices the Wiz could see (I already have 2 DNS-232 NAS units which connected without a hitch.)

Gully

Re: Compatible NAS - Synology DS410

Post by Gully » Thu Feb 10, 2011 21:09

nylon wrote:NOTE! I had 2 days of pain getting the Wiz to see the DS410 on the network. The secret was to look at the Wiz settings for 'Windows Sharing' (username and password) and create a user on the DS410 with the SAME username and password. Give the user full rights and - BINGO! - the DS410 appeared in the list of devices the Wiz could see (I already have 2 DNS-232 NAS units which connected without a hitch.)
Glad to hear you got it going.

Those steps/settings are pretty much the recommended steps/settings given in all the Wiz networking setup guides.
Cheers
Gully

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Feb 11, 2011 08:50

Maybe a few Networking FAQs for the more popular NASs would be useful?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Feb 11, 2011 08:57

Hi Peter,
prl wrote:Maybe a few Networking FAQs for the more popular NASs would be useful?
What do you see as different in setting up the NAS sharing compared with setting up PC sharing? The needs are the same it is just the command menus you use that would be different. It will be very difficult to track the setup menus of every device out there. I think the current situation where we advise users to set up the appropriate usernames and passwords on the shares , folders and files is the appropriate generic help that a PVR support group should offer.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Feb 11, 2011 09:30

IanSav wrote:Hi Peter,
prl wrote:Maybe a few Networking FAQs for the more popular NASs would be useful?
What do you see as different in setting up the NAS sharing compared with setting up PC sharing? The needs are the same it is just the command menus you use that would be different. It will be very difficult to track the setup menus of every device out there. I think the current situation where we advise users to set up the appropriate usernames and passwords on the shares , folders and files is the appropriate generic help that a PVR support group should offer.

Regards,
Ian.
I have seen discussions of some NASs where the username/password setup was quite different from how it would normally be done when connecting to a share on a Windows or OS X system.

I wasn't suggesting a single NAS compendium of "every device out there". I was suggesting "a few Networking FAQs for the more popular NASs". I'm not sure why you thought I was.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:22

Hi Peter,

I thought that you were looking to becoming a support service for various NAS units. I feel that we need to explain what the Beyonwiz expects of a network connection. This is something I believe we have already covered. If you think this information can be improved then that is another matter. How this information is applied to various NAS devices is out of the scope of *this* forum.

For example, describing how to set up a ReadyNAS device here may be fine until Netgear change the ReadyNAS firmware. Then all our instructions could be invalidated. I don't believe that we should be tracking specific instructions for other products here on the Beyonwiz forum.

Regards,
Ian.

Recusant
Master

Post by Recusant » Fri May 06, 2011 19:13

I'm a big-time NAS noob and i've only just started playing around with my first, a Synology DS411j - 4-bay budget model.

1.) Compatible* (see below)
2.) Synology DS411j - 4-bay budget model.
3.) 8tb (4x2tb - spec says 12tb max) - RAID5
4.) Ethernet via Billion Modem (cat6 cabling, but Wiz is 10/100 - not Gigabit.

If compatible then also include:
5.) Disk/Fan Noise
Seems quiet, but all new PC gear is IMO, but is away from viewing area area :)

6.) Transfer speed (MB/sec) Copy and WizFX.
No idea. I WizFX to my PC to edit files before moving on (currently), maybe as i get more used to the NAS i'll send it there. How does one check MB/sec?

7.) Ease of set up.
Excellent software and built-in help. I have no idea what i'm doing but i managed to get it to connect and talk and play. I am confused about a few things which i'll go into later.

8.) Other features:
It has a TON of features. Too many to list, check their website.

9.) Problems experienced.
So far, i have two issues that puzzle/concern me or I didn't think of when i got it.
1. File compatibility. The Synology was the most 'compatible' NAS i saw, it's list is impressive. But, i forgot that the Wiz doesn't even SEE FLAC files, so i don't imagine i can get the NAS to stream to it. I don't have an AVR that accepts any networking. My music is almost all FLAC. This, i didn't think of :(

*Issue: VOB streaming - I don't know why but it stutters and the audio doesn't always work. It's unwatchable :( This is a big issue for me, as i have many of my DVDs backed up because using the Bluray player is painfully slow.

I have played a variety of other videos and they all work pretty well, e.g. a HD TS vid (MPEG-TS, 5.08 GiB, 17.6 Mbps) works perfectly well. MKV, as usual with the Wiz is twitchy (slow to load/respond) but otherwise fine.

Thread for this issue here: http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6452
DP-P2 & T4

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Fri May 06, 2011 20:54

Recusant wrote:But, i forgot that the Wiz doesn't even SEE FLAC files, so i don't imagine i can get the NAS to stream to it. I don't have an AVR that accepts any networking. My music is almost all FLAC. This, i didn't think of :(
You'll have to hope/wait for a next-gen model Wiz, which probably will recognise and play flac files. In the meantime, your only option is to buy a media player.

P.S. All my music is flac too. Lucky for me I have a Sonos system, so I just got an S5 for my living room. Sweeeeeeet!!!!!

Recusant
Master

Post by Recusant » Sat May 07, 2011 16:14

madmax wrote: You'll have to hope/wait for a next-gen model Wiz, which probably will recognise and play flac files. In the meantime, your only option is to buy a media player.
I remember, before i purchased my first Wiz i asked about FLAC (on this forum i think) and it was "on the to do list". That was 2+ years ago now i think. :(

It would be great for a firmware update to come, but i don't expect it now, oh and i'd probably have to give up something useful - like DVD viewing (not that it currently works from the NAS anyway.
DP-P2 & T4

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat May 07, 2011 17:39

Hi Recusant,
Recusant wrote: - like DVD viewing (not that it currently works from the NAS anyway.
Have you investigated or proven that the DVD image you are trying actually works?

Regards,
Ian.

Recusant
Master

Post by Recusant » Sat May 07, 2011 18:39

It definitely works when not from NAS to Wiz. Streams to PC fine. Also works fine via USB HDD.
DP-P2 & T4

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun May 08, 2011 11:46

Hi Recusant,
Recusant wrote:It definitely works when not from NAS to Wiz. Streams to PC fine. Also works fine via USB HDD.
So the same DVD image works fine when played from a USB hard drive attached to the Beyonwiz? This points to an issue in your network or the NAS.

Regards,
Ian.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Sun May 08, 2011 15:24

Could be file permissions just for that particular file (assuming it gives "not supported format").
Tony

Dr Dre
Apprentice

Post by Dr Dre » Tue May 10, 2011 16:55

Something you might wish to play with is the Media Server on the Synology. If you enable it, it allows the Synology to transcode the FLAC files on the fly. I'm not sure if you'll be able to play them through the Beyonwiz but it may be something that you can use with something else like remote USB speakers or something. The Audio Station on iPhone or Android could also be an alternative.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue May 10, 2011 22:50

Hi Dr Dre,

The Beyonwiz will not be able to use the transcoded stream. The Beyonwiz is *not* a DLNA client.

Regards,
Ian.

Recusant
Master

Post by Recusant » Thu May 26, 2011 13:29

Note that my VOB playback issue also happens from the PC to the Wiz. So the issue may have nothing to do with my NAS, perhaps it's my router/switch.

** This is not a comment to start everyone talking again, merely to qualify my comments on the NAS perhaps not being able to play DVDs through the Wiz in relation to the 'compatibility' question that this thread is supposed to be about :)
DP-P2 & T4

rupert
Apprentice

Post by rupert » Mon Oct 17, 2011 17:43

Hi

I'm looking at getting a QNAP TS412. Am I pretty safe in assuming that this will be compatible, as other QNAPS are?

Regards

Rupert
P1

Raid
Master

Post by Raid » Tue Oct 18, 2011 13:48

rupert wrote:Hi

I'm looking at getting a QNAP TS412. Am I pretty safe in assuming that this will be compatible, as other QNAPS are?

Regards

Rupert
I have a TS-410 (3.5.1) and by the look of the specs its close (hardware wise and software) to the TS-412. I have no problems streaming media (Videos, Pictures, Music and Podcasts) from the TS-410 to the Wiz. The only problem I have is using the Wiz Copy or Move commands (Popup) to send files to the TS-410, the transfer fails. Works fine from a PC. This does not happen with the my TS-409, different hardware and software. If you plan to transfer files using WizFX (to a PC first) than everything’s OK.

I think that this is a Wiz issue but I haven’t been able to figure out where. From the artifacts left as a result of the failed Copy/Move, you can create or delete a file/subdirectory but the rename fails (no I’m not talking about rename from the Wiz popup).

Hope this helps
T3-500GB
Panasonic TX-32LXD700A, Yamaha RX-A1060 & BD-A1060; Asus RT-N56U; QNAP TS-451/TS-410 NAS.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Oct 18, 2011 22:30

Hi Raid,
Raid wrote:The only problem I have is using the Wiz Copy or Move commands (Popup) to send files to the TS-410, the transfer fails. Works fine from a PC. This does not happen with the my TS-409, different hardware and software. If you plan to transfer files using WizFX (to a PC first) than everything’s OK.

I think that this is a Wiz issue but I haven’t been able to figure out where. From the artifacts left as a result of the failed Copy/Move, you can create or delete a file/subdirectory but the rename fails (no I’m not talking about rename from the Wiz popup).
This is not necessarily a Beyonwiz issue. It is more likely a permission problem that is usually on the NAS end of the connection. The Beyonwiz will not be able to create files on the NAS unless it gains create and write access to folder tree and files after using matching username and password settings on the Beyonwiz and NAS to log into the NAS. If the login fails then the Beyonwiz will default to using guest access. The Beyonwiz will usually be unable to create or write to files on the NAS in guest mode.

Regards,
Ian.

rupert
Apprentice

Post by rupert » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:31

Thanks Raid.
P1

Stuart
On probation

Drobo?

Post by Stuart » Sun Apr 15, 2012 19:27

Hi, has anyone had any experience streaming media from the Drobo NAS?
http://www.drobo.com/
The scalability and redundancy of this setup is quite appealing.
Stuart
Beyonwiz DP-P2
firmware 01.05.350

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Apr 15, 2012 19:55

Hi Stuart,

I always believed that the Drobo was a firewire or USB connected device. I didn't think it used a network connection. Having said that the Drobo would not be considered a NAS (Network Attached Storage).

If the Drobo simply looks like a standard USB hard drive to the Beyonwiz then it should work. Keep in mind that it won't be all that fast. The Beyonwiz can't access its external devices very fast. Also note that you can't record to external devices.

Regards,
Ian.

Stuart
On probation

Drobo?

Post by Stuart » Sun Apr 15, 2012 21:03

Thanks Ian,
"I always believed that the Drobo was a firewire or USB connected device. I didn't think it used a network connection."
I understand that the some Drobo models (Drobo and Drobo S) are firewire/USB connected, but most are Gigabit ethernet connected. I'm thinking of getting the Drobo FS. You can see the different models here: http://www.drobo.com/products/index.php
There are limitations to connecting USB drives to the Beyonwiz, such as Fat32 format and no bigger than 500Gb (from memory); do you know if there are any limits when connecting a NAS? The Drobo FS could hold 5 x 2Tb drives for a total of 10Tb, and it would be disappointing to go to that much effort and expense only to find that the Beyonwiz could not use it. Stuart
Stuart
Beyonwiz DP-P2
firmware 01.05.350

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Apr 15, 2012 21:25

Hi Stuart,

I didn't realise that Drobo moved into network connected devices. The about link on their website didn't appear to mention it.

If the device supports Windows XP compatible SMB shares then it should work OK.

See if you can purchase a unit on condition that it can be returned if it doesn't work as expected. Alternatively just purchase one of the units that is known to work.

Regards,
Ian.

Return to “Networking your Beyonwiz DP Series”