Netgear A6210 Wifi Dongle - Driver or any success on T4

Moderators: Gully, peteru

jaaa
Apprentice

Netgear A6210 Wifi Dongle - Driver or any success on T4

Post by jaaa » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:58

Any help would be welcome - thanks.

Have finally bought a T4 & have a Netgear A6210 Wifi dongle so would like to use it for networking. T4 is not detecting it - so guess it needs the driver.

The A6210 uses a Mediatek chipset - mt7612u
This is also used by other brand USB dongles -
Asus USB-N53 B1
Edimax EW-7722UAC
SparkLAN WUBM-273ACN

If anyone has any of these working - it would be great to know how please????

I've looked through these forums & can see previous posts about Netgear 6200 & other dongles that are not the Beyonwiz recommended one. The posts suggest looking at the standard, pre-installed drivers to support USB wireless adapters. (But don't say how & if people actually got these working.)

From the list in peteru's post in April 2015 ------ http://beyonwiz.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=8094
- there is an mt driver available for install which is for earlier dongles ----
enigma2-plugin-drivers-network-usb-mt7601u

Because I can't get access to the internet via the T4 - I can't see a plugin list or download & test this driver.

Is there some way to download this separately on a pc & manually add it via usb? if so have I missed a post on this somewhere or instructions in a sticky, manual or FAQ?

There is a Linux driver specifically for the mt7612u chipset - that is available for download from the Mediatek website. I have a copy of this as well - but am not sure whether it is useful or how to use the key info in it.

Thanks

jaaa
Apprentice

Re: Netgear A6210 Wifi Dongle - Driver or any success on T4

Post by jaaa » Fri Nov 06, 2015 16:28

I can't be the only person who will want to use these types of later adapters????? They seem really solid & fast & are getting great reviews - & are the future not legacy - even if they can't be used to the max on the T4.

I have downloaded, installed & tried all the drivers in the Plugins downloads & can't get any to work.

It would be great if someone else has come up with a solution, or got the existing plugiins to work.

Thanks

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Nov 06, 2015 16:35

If you are on the latest firmware released today, then you can try downloading straight from the Beyonwiz feeds repository.

http://feeds.beyonwiz.org/beyonwiz/4.4/ ... 72_all.ipk

Or just have a browse through what else is available.

http://feeds.beyonwiz.org/beyonwiz/4.4/inihdp/all/
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

jaaa
Apprentice

Post by jaaa » Fri Nov 06, 2015 17:47

MrQuade - Thanks for the reply & links. I set up a temporary network cable direct to router to get access to the internet. So was able to download & test all the available plugins direct to the T4.

Networking works fine on the T4. Just can't get the Netgear dongle to work with any of the existing network driver plugins. A couple should be close to what is needed - but not quite.

An Asus dongle with similar chipset can possibly work with RT 2800 /2870 & possibly Ralink RT3572 drivers.

The Netgear router does not work with RT3573 driver that is included with T4. (ie 3573 NOT 3572) or the RT 2800.

Mediatek - the chipset's company actually owns Ralink - which is one of main producers of networking chipsets & drivers using "RT" prefix. But none of the T4's included ones seem to work.

Any more ideas are welcome.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Nov 06, 2015 18:03

Ahh sorry, I didn't read your second post properly. I remembered reading your original post, and only just got round to replying sorry.

I can't see much about it from a very quick search other than a mention here:
http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/t ... 200.13803/

And drivers:
http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads1/downloads/

Not sure if it comes as source, or even if it is MIPS compatible. Either way, it'd need some development to get into a shape suitable for the T series.

jaaa
Apprentice

Post by jaaa » Fri Nov 06, 2015 19:49

Not sure about the first link you posted. It is in Italian.

I had already downloaded the mt7612u chipset Linux driver from the Mediatek website. ie your 2nd link. But I don't know enough to decipher the files.

I've uploaded it elsewhere if anyone was interested in seeing if it can be used or modified. (Please)
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=912 ... 5036069484

(I have also checked the other brand adapters that use the same chipset but can't find useful info on drivers for them either for Linux. So the Mediatek download seems to be the only driver around yet. Guess these adapters are pretty new for people to using a lot yet, except on Windows.)

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Nov 06, 2015 19:55

jaaa wrote:Not sure about the first link you posted. It is in Italian.
I use the Chrome web browser that automatically translates foreign language pages. Give it a try (not that there is much of use on there).

This is really a topic for one of the devs to pick up from here. For non-programmers, those drivers will be of no use.

jaaa
Apprentice

Post by jaaa » Fri Nov 06, 2015 20:28

Thanks. I actually had just translated your link in Chrome. It still was interesting info. It pretty much confirms what I found out on other sites.

Seems like way back in the day when some technology is just a bit ahead for Drivers other than basic Windows. Love that the suggestion was basically if you want something that is going to be straightforward & just work - look for Realtek drivers. That was pretty much the same advice way back then.

Guess all the Beyonwiz gurus wish everyone would just use their tried & tested vanilla dongle

Edit - Thank you Mr Quade for your time & help.
Last edited by jaaa on Fri Nov 06, 2015 21:38, edited 1 time in total.

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri Nov 06, 2015 20:58

You seem to be expecting speedy responses to your posts as you posted the first couple in a way that gives that impression.

Firstly, we are all, with the odd exception voluntarily involved here so other lives impact how quickly people will respond. And in this case, at least one of of the main contributors is away so unlikely to respond soon anyway.

There may be others who have used the same dongle but give them a chance to respond as well.
Cheers
Gully

jaaa
Apprentice

Post by jaaa » Fri Nov 06, 2015 21:34

Apologies Gully to give that impression. I do not expect speedy responses, I just happened to be testing T4 & on computer regularly today - so updated the actions I had already taken.

My comment in an earlier post was only because I could see that the topic had a considerable number of views fairly quickly & was obviously not of interest to others. It was more from frustration. 30+ views & no responses is a bad sign.

I have been lurking around this & the DTVForum for a long time - the time & effort that you gurus have put in over many years is greatly appreciated.

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri Nov 06, 2015 22:07

Not a problem, good to be clear about what was happening regardless.

Hopefully someone can give you some insight.
Cheers
Gully

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Sat Nov 07, 2015 08:21

To analyse the driver requirements for a A6210 do the following :-
  • Telnet into your T4
  • dmesg > /tmp/temp
  • plug the A6210 into the T4
  • dmesg | diff /tmp/temp -
  • Post the output of the above command
  • lsusb
  • Post the output of the above command

jaaa
Apprentice

Post by jaaa » Mon Nov 09, 2015 14:53

IanB - Thanks for reply. Sorry for delay in responding - but I am still interested.

The device ID showing from Telnet enquiry is for the same device I listed above.
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0846:9053

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_A6210

The text files of the logs from the Telnet enquiries are in this link, rather than posting all the info here.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=372 ... 2529681407

------------------------
Not sure if this has been resolved more recently - the info on other forums is from months ago. But all the threads about this Adapter in Ubuntu forums say it is NOT compatible with Linux. Their solution in each case was to buy a different adapter.

Even Netgear replied to one persons query saying they DID NOT support Linux.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2265150&page=2

A shame. This Netgear adapter gets great performance improvement reviews (on Windows) & the other older Linux friendly ones get mediocre performance reviews considering they are all AC & 1200.

I'm still investigating alternative adapters against the driver lists in peteru's April post.

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:45

jaaa wrote:Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0846:9053
Yep, I was afraid of that. Many have tried and failed. Take it back and get a different dongle with explicit Linux support. Use the "Not fit for purpose!" consumer reason.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:59

Hi Jaaa,

You could always go for a wireless access point / bridge and connect it to the T4 via a wired connection. No driver problems *EVER* with that arrangement.

Regards,
Ian.

jaaa
Apprentice

Post by jaaa » Mon Nov 09, 2015 16:48

Thanks IanB.

Yes - unfortunately that will be my solution to return/swap it. Where it came from won't be a problem to do that.
-----------------

IanSav
That is my current dilemma. Now deciding which way to go with network solution.

Currently have (now outdated) Linksys routers with WRT hooked up to 2 DP-P2's that have worked reliably for years as wireless access points. But wanted to bump up a bit for the T4.

Will be looking at all options again now that the Netgear adapter is a no go. If decide on USB adapter - will be keeping in mind the available driver list.

Appreciate all the assistance.

Return to “Accessories (USB Tuner, Keyboards, Wifi Dongles)”