OverlayHD Skin...

Moderators: Gully, peteru

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Re: OverlayHD Skin...

Post by IanSav » Thu Nov 09, 2017 23:33

Hi Dennis,

Sorry, I am getting you two confused.

You need to apply the patches I provided. The photo (picture player) plugin is not currently skinable. Without the reversion to the default skin, as per my patch, things will always go wrong.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:51

IanSav wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 18:14
sub3R wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 17:34
In Picture Player, the ‘Frame size in full view’ option doesn’t work in ‘OverlayHD’. The default is 30 pixels & when I changed this to 5 (I also tried some intermediate sizes) it didn’t change even with a GUI reboot. I checked the 5 pixel option in ‘easy-skin-aus-hd’ & it did change to what appears to be 5 (a lot narrower than 30 anyway).
What do you think this setting does? All it does is position the label text on the screen. It appears to be working correctly for me.

I think it changes the size of the frame (default black, but colour configurable) around the image display area (settings screen description: "Size in pixels of the narrowest part of a frame around the full-screen image."). That's certainly what it does in easy-skin-aus-hd and Full-Metal-Wizard.

If you change its value by using MENU in the PicturePlayer slideshow, you have to at least stop and restart the slideshow for the setting to take effect. But it doesn't do anything in OverlayHD 1.61.

I suspect that its failure to work in OverlayHD is due to OverlayHD overriding the "on-the-fly" skin generated by the screen code, in the same way that the frame is transparent, rather than colour filled in OverlayHD.

I would expect that having OverlayHD revert to the "on-the-fly" skin generated by the code would also fix this, because config.pic.framesize is a parameter in the construction of that on-the-fly skin.

It's easiest to see the difference between OverlayHD and the built-in skins if you set MENU>Setup>Media>PicturePlayer>Background colour to something other than black.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:54

sub3R wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 19:54
... In fact I would like to be able to shut live TV off when I’m in all menus or lists, everywhere except when in live TV – like the DP series does. It is distracting in the background, especially the audio. ...

IIRC, if you do that, you interrupt the timeshift recording, which is possibly why it's done that way.

It's a code, rather than a skin, issue.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Sat Nov 11, 2017 09:03

IanSav wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 23:33
... You need to apply the patches I provided. ...
Thanks Ian. Those revised ‘skin.xml’ & ‘skin_media.xml’ files fixed all the problems except one. :)

I didn’t expect them to fix the text size increase after I change ‘Same resolution as skin’ to ‘720 x 576’, & they didn’t (I had previously verified this was an issue on my setup with both skins, so it is nothing to do with ‘OverlayHD’). I just leave that setting at ‘Same resolution as skin’, so it isn’t an issue for me – I’m just providing that information as feedback. :)
Dennis
U4, Bluey USB tuner, WizTV > Yamaha RX-V3900 > Sony KDL46X2000 TV ||
U4, Bluey USB tuner > Sony KD-43X85J TV > Yamaha YAS-209 || FTA EPG ||
Harmony 650s || (U4s on 19.3.20200901 & T2 on 19.3.20200823) ||
Technicolor DJA0230TLS modem/router, Ethernet LAN, Win10 Home 64 ||

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Sat Nov 11, 2017 09:06

prl wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:54
IIRC, if you do that, you interrupt the timeshift recording, which is possibly why it's done that way.

Of course, that makes sense. That’s what it does on the DP series. :roll:

So is the font size in the timer list hard coded & can’t readily be changed?
Dennis

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:26

sub3R wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 09:06
prl wrote:

The font sizes in the timer list have defaults set in the code that can be overridden in the skin.

Implementing user-settable font sizes in the firmware is messy and hard to get right. I don't think that IanSav will disagree much with that.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Nov 11, 2017 15:48

Hi,
prl wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:26
Implementing user-settable font sizes in the firmware is messy and hard to get right. I don't think that IanSav will disagree much with that.
One might even say that IanSav is in total agreement with that statement. ;)

Regards,
Ian.

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:15

prl wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:26
The font sizes in the timer list have defaults set in the code that can be overridden in the skin.

IanSav wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 15:48
One might even say that IanSav is in total agreement with that statement. ;)
Fair enough, I suspected it may not be easy, & no doubt it would be very time consuming. :)

Ian, please don’t take the following as criticism of your hard work. You have obviously put a lot of thought into ‘OverlayHD’ & it has a lot of advantages over ‘easy-skin-aus-hd’ & ’Full-Metal-Wizard’. However both those skins have some advantages over ‘OverlayHD’.

If I had a wish list for the Timer List text size in ‘OverlayHD’ it would be:

The option to do away with the large icons on the left of the screen (the one with the 3 blue ticks with the blue ‘L’, & especially the upside down one below it that shows the background live TV through parts of it). Increase the area for the timer list to take up the full screen now that those icons aren’t there & have adjustable size fonts & rows. After all, the Timer List is also one of the most used screens & should be easy to read on various sized TVs & from normal viewing positions (this has been achieved with the DP series).

And a wish list for the text size in the following ‘OverlayHD’ screens:

Have adjustable size fonts & rows in “Music’, ‘Photos’ & ‘Sources/Files (File Commander)’ when they are selected from ‘Live TV > MENU’.

Some of the screens are actually easier to read in ’Full-Metal-Wizard’ compared to ‘OverlayHD’ but I think the choice of font type in ’Full-Metal-Wizard’ is a poor choice for clarity & it can’t be configured like ‘OverlayHD’ can. IMO the smaller main icons (such as in the main menu screen) are nicer in ’Full-Metal-Wizard’ & ‘easy-skin-aus-hd’ than any larger icons. But it is distracting for live TV to be shown through icons or anywhere else when in any list or menu.

Again, no criticism meant, I’m just trying to give feedback from us & a recent visitor who owns a modified DP-P1. :)
Dennis

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:49

sub3R wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:15
The option to do away with the large icons on the left of the screen (the one with the 3 blue ticks with the blue ‘L’, & especially the upside down one below it that shows the background live TV through parts of it).
It's not an "L", it's the hands of a clock showing 3 o'clock :)

The big timer (ticks & clock) icon is a single image file, it's not in two parts, but the bottom part or the image has higher transparency. The image transparency works well with the default background transparency, but the image transparency isn't changed when the background transparency changes.

This seems to work differently on the U4, and there's no leakage through the image when the background is opaque.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Nov 12, 2017 13:15

Hi Prl,
prl wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:49
sub3R wrote:
The option to do away with the large icons on the left of the screen (the one with the 3 blue ticks with the blue ‘L’, & especially the upside down one below it that shows the background live TV through parts of it).

The big timer (ticks & clock) icon is a single image file, it's not in two parts, but the bottom part or the image has higher transparency. The image transparency works well with the default background transparency, but the image transparency isn't changed when the background transparency changes.
This information is correct.

The layout is a design choice. Some like it some don't.

I am still open to adopt new graphical images if someone wants to help out with graphical design and drawing input.
prl wrote:
This seems to work differently on the U4, and there's no leakage through the image when the background is opaque.
This is most interesting. I wonder if the fix can be back ported to the current units.

Regards,
Ian.

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Sun Nov 12, 2017 13:44

prl wrote:
Ahh, I can see that now, it is a square clock. :oops:
prl wrote:
... but the image transparency isn't changed when the background transparency changes.
Yes, I’ve tried to stop the leakage through the image by selecting what I think are the correct options, but no luck. Interesting about the U4, something to look forward to.
IanSav wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 13:15
The layout is a design choice. Some like it some don't.
Of course, you will never be able to please everyone, you would have to have an enormous amount of options to get close to that. :)
IanSav wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 13:15
I am still open to adopt new graphical images if someone wants to help out with graphical design and drawing input.
If I had the expertise & the spare time I would help out Ian, but unfortunately I don’t have either.
Dennis

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:12

Hi Ian.

Another very minor issue I just noticed on my T2 in Media Player. This isn’t a concern for me, I’m only giving you feedback.

T2 details: OverlayHD ver: 1.61 & running f/w 17.5 20171030000953 with HDMI video output set to 720p & with the same settings as here & OSD Settings as per here.

I didn’t notice this until I started playing & looking at the contents of shared folders on my laptop over the LAN. Most of the shared sub-folders end up with a long path which causes the path at the top of Media Player to what appears to have word wrapped. This causes the very top of the text that has word wrapped appear below the path (see attached image example below).

The path in the attached image example is;
‘/media/autofs/VIDEOMASTERSASUS_TP500LN/SG9665GC V3 Dashcam/Test videos’.

This doesn’t happen in ’Full-Metal-Wizard’ or ‘easy-skin-aus-hd’.

To solve this, perhaps long path names should be truncated instead of what appears to me to be word wrapped.

I tried all three settings in; ‘Menu > GUI settings > Show full menu path > Small / Large / None’ to see what difference they made to long path names, but those options don’t appear to do anything in Menu Player with ‘OverlayHD’ or ‘easy-skin-aus-hd’ (didn’t try those in ’Full-Metal-Wizard’), unless I’m missing what they are meant to change.

Long-path-media-player_1.jpg
Dennis

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Nov 13, 2017 13:11

Hi Dennis,

Can you please try this patch to see if it suitably addresses the Title wrap concern. If it improves the look for you then I will apply the patch to the base code.

Regards,
Ian.
Attachments
skin.xml
Test version of skin.xml...
(127.06 KiB) Downloaded 56 times

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Nov 13, 2017 13:21

Hi Dennis,
sub3R wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 09:06
prl wrote:

The font sizes can be changed in the skin but they can't be dynamic.

The font sizes I chose try to find a balance between readability and the number of entries that can be displayed on a screen. If I make the fonts bigger then there will be fewer entries on the screen. Users will need to scroll through more screens to see all the recording entries.

How much bigger do you want the fonts? I will consider making the timer list have 8 entries per screen rather than 9 if you and your visitors have a strong feeling about the change.

If other people don't want less entries per screen then please post your opinion here.

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Nov 13, 2017 13:31

Hi Dennis,
sub3R wrote:

Have adjustable size fonts & rows in “Music’, ‘Photos’ & ‘Sources/Files (File Commander)’ when they are selected from ‘Live TV > MENU’.
While the text size for these screens can be changed there is the same balance issue as I mentioned for the timer list. Here the issue is more critical as the larger fonts will make less of the file names visible and will reduce the number of files listed per screen. I don't believe that using a larger font would be a good move.

If you feel strongly that a larger font be used then please post again. Please be warned that this change may affect a number of screens and possibly have unexpected and/or undesired results as I think that a core font definition will need to be changed.
sub3R wrote:
Some of the screens are actually easier to read in ’Full-Metal-Wizard’ compared to ‘OverlayHD’ but I think the choice of font type in ’Full-Metal-Wizard’ is a poor choice for clarity & it can’t be configured like ‘OverlayHD’ can. IMO the smaller main icons (such as in the main menu screen) are nicer in ’Full-Metal-Wizard’ & ‘easy-skin-aus-hd’ than any larger icons. But it is distracting for live TV to be shown through icons or anywhere else when in any list or menu.
As I previously mentioned I would love to give OverlayHD a but of a face lift. If there are any graphical artists with an interest in user interfaces out there who want to help then please post.

Regards,
Ian.

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Mon Nov 13, 2017 15:31

IanSav wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 13:11
... Can you please try this patch to see if it suitably addresses the Title wrap concern. If it improves the look for you then I will apply the patch to the base code. ...
Hi Ian.

Thank you for that file. It fixed the very top of the text being displayed that word-wraps below the path information.

Just to clarify; it was only the very top of the wrapped text being displayed that I thought worth mentioning, I wasn’t concerned about not being able to see the end of the path information.

While I’m happy for you to apply this to the base code, I think you should get feedback from other users. I have a feeling that some users won’t like this.

To explain to other users following this, this is what I now see; where the full path information won’t fit in the available column width, the path information is cropped off from the start so that the end of the path information fits in the available space (like text being right justified instead of being left justified in an Excel cell without word-wrap).

This only happens with long path information that won’t fit in the allocated column width. This does look a little odd but there is only so much that can fit in a certain column width. Where the path information fits in the available column width everything looks normal.

See the following screenshot & compare this with this screenshot in my previous post. Both are viewing the exact same shared sub-folder, so the paths are the same, which is:

/media/autofs/VIDEOMASTERSASUS_TP500LN/SG9665GC V3 Dashcam/Test videos/

OverlayHD-long-path-media-player_2.jpg

I have also attached below a screenshot showing how ’Full-Metal-Wizard’ displays the same path for comparison.

Full-Metal-Wizard-long-path-media-player_3.jpg

Ian, I’ll come back & answer your other posts shortly. :)
Dennis

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Nov 13, 2017 15:41

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for the confirmation.

Note that the two screen captures highlight that very different fonts are used in the two images. If yet get a path that is long enough in Full-Metal-Wizard then it will probably also wrap. ;)

Regards,
Ian.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Nov 13, 2017 15:42

sub3R wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 15:31
To explain to other users following this, this is what I now see; where the full path information won’t fit in the available column width, the path information is cropped off from the start so that the end of the path information fits in the available space (like text being right justified instead of being left justified in an Excel cell without word-wrap).
That is usual practice for pathnames that are too wide to fit the space available for text. The most important information is usually the last bit, so that's what should be shown if anything. IanSav's provided patch seems to do what I'd consider correct in this instance.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Mon Nov 13, 2017 17:13

IanSav wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 15:41
... Note that the two screen captures highlight that very different fonts are used in the two images. If yet get a path that is long enough in Full-Metal-Wizard then it will probably also wrap. ;)
Yes, and in the screenshot example it has; ' videos/' has been word-wrapped.
MrQuade wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 15:42
... The most important information is usually the last bit, so that's what should be shown if anything. ...
Yes, I agree.
Dennis

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Mon Nov 13, 2017 17:18

IanSav wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 13:21
... How much bigger do you want the fonts? I will consider making the timer list have 8 entries per screen rather than 9 if you and your visitors have a strong feeling about the change.

If other people don't want less entries per screen then please post your opinion here. ...
Hi Ian, I appreciate the difficulty & what you are prepared to consider. You have already gone to a lot of trouble & it is appreciated.

To answer your question; in most screens where I can change the fonts size from 0, I have gone to 4, & that works well for us. Font size 4 is what you are seeing in my previous screenshot examples.

I think 8 entries per screen in the Timer List with a bit larger font size would be great, that would only be one less than the now 9 entries per screen.
IanSav wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 13:31
Hi Dennis,
sub3R wrote:

While the text size for these screens can be changed there is the same balance issue as I mentioned for the timer list. Here the issue is more critical as the larger fonts will make less of the file names visible and will reduce the number of files listed per screen. I don't believe that using a larger font would be a good move. ...
As far as having adjustable size fonts & rows in “Music’, ‘Photos’ & ‘Sources/Files (File Commander)’ when they are selected from ‘Live TV > MENU’; that isn’t as much a concern now that I have come up with a workaround for continuous random playing music from shared folders when started from Media Player, which has decent sized text.
Viewing photos I also do from Media Player.
File Commander doesn’t get used that much to be a concern. If I want to copy anything from the T2 to the Laptop I use Windows Explorer.

So don’t worry too much about those three. If I do want to use any of those three it is easy enough to change over to ‘Full-Metal-Wizard’ where those three screens are a bit easier to read than in ‘OverlayHD’. Not ideal but a way around it for me anyway. :)
Dennis

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Mon Nov 13, 2017 17:26

IanSav wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 13:31
... As I previously mentioned I would love to give OverlayHD a but of a face lift. If there are any graphical artists with an interest in user interfaces out there who want to help then please post.
Just an idea which may be a crazy idea & not to your liking. Have you thought about using photos instead of icons?

As an example; if you remember the ‘File Player’ menu in the DP-S1, that is what they appear like at the top. A photo of a camera for photos, a photo of headphones for music & a photo of a video camera for videos. The ‘Setup’ menu uses a few similar.

They could be in black & white or colour & when highlighted the background surround colour could change. If kept small enough they could look quite good.

Someone who likes playing with Photoshop or similar could come up with something.

Just a thought.
Dennis

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Nov 13, 2017 17:31

sub3R wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 17:26
Have you thought about using photos instead of icons?
Symbols are more "readable" and should be used as clear UI prompts. Photos are easier to do, but are just not effective in practice. It's why you see all signage (which isn't trying to sell you something) in real life being made using symbols.

While well laid out, several of the design elements of the DP series were pretty objectively awful (that FONT!).

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Nov 13, 2017 17:53

Hi Dennis,

As well as agreeing with MrQuade's comment I would also add that photos, even black and white ones, will likely be much bigger than simple graphics. This is not a good idea for the space, memory and speed consideration reasons.

Regards,
Ian.

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Tue Nov 14, 2017 09:29

MrQuade wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 17:31
Symbols are more "readable" and should be used as clear UI prompts. Photos are easier to do, but are just not effective in practice. It's why you see all signage (which isn't trying to sell you something) in real life being made using symbols.
No argument from me there, providing the symbols have been done so that one can easily recognise exactly what they mean.

I only suggested photos to Ian as a possible alternative seeing that no-one has offered help in symbol design. But I didn’t think about the ‘space, memory and speed considerations’ that Ian has since mentioned. I did say it may be a crazy idea. :)
MrQuade wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 17:31
While well laid out, several of the design elements of the DP series were pretty objectively awful (that FONT!).
Yep, it certainly could have been improved. But it left the T2 for dead in GUI design & being able to easily read every screen from the normal viewing position. Two very important requirements of a PVR IMO.
sub3R wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 17:18
If I do want to use any of those three it is easy enough to change over to ‘Full-Metal-Wizard’ where those three screens are a bit easier to read than in ‘OverlayHD’.
Well that idea got knocked on the head by my better half (the main user of this PVR). I tried that & was told that it (Full-Metal-Wizard) was too hard to read & to go back to the previous skin (OverlayHD). :roll:
Dennis

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Nov 14, 2017 09:38

sub3R wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 09:29
Yep, it certainly could have been improved. But it left the T2 for dead in GUI design & being able to easily read every screen from the normal viewing position. Two very important requirements of a PVR IMO.
The DPs are well laid out for smaller screens and lower resolutions. The larger text is well suited to that.

These days I personally find the text on the T series to be a bit large and have shrunk the font sizes down in many areas where possible so that I can see more information at a single glance without excessive navigation. I also prefer to sit closer to the screen than perhaps other people too, so it all depends on a number of factors.

I think it is good that we can work work together as a community to try to meet our collective, varying requirements :)

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:52

Hi,

I also prefer smaller fonts and less scrolling around to see all the information.

One thing I would like to suggest is that it often isn't necessary to be able to read all the text displayed on the screen. Sometimes a few letters or words is enough to get the context and meaning of the screen. If the whole text must be read then get up and have a closer look. The exercise is probably good for you. ;)

In this context I am tending to resist a change towards larger font usage. Please keep up the requests as I am willing to consider changes where it makes the UI better. For example, I will be exploring the timer screen fonts shortly. At the moment I am looking at the File Manager overlaid text issue. (By the way, this is looking like a code and not a skin issue but I am still investigating.)

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:27

I find the default font sizes generally OK in all the skins.

I only change the Channel List font sizes, and then only to get all the channels on the one screen. With my current favourites list of 24 entries, and font sizes all reduced by 3 pixels, that does make the text a bit too small.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Tue Nov 14, 2017 19:33

IanSav wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:52
One thing I would like to suggest is that it often isn't necessary to be able to read all the text displayed on the screen. Sometimes a few letters or words is enough to get the context and meaning of the screen. If the whole text must be read then get up and have a closer look. The exercise is probably good for you. ;)
If I told my wife that, she would be very offended.
Dennis

BigbobOz
Master

Post by BigbobOz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 21:04

Love the small fonts, saves on scrolling!

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Nov 18, 2017 09:38

I've submitted the changes needed to support resolution changing with the TV-OUT button on the U4 to the OverlayHD repository.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Nov 18, 2017 09:55

Hi Prl,
prl wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 09:38
I've submitted the changes needed to support resolution changing with the TV-OUT button on the U4 to the OverlayHD repository.
Thanks for the pull request. I will work on this and some other fixes for OverlayHD this weekend.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:13

No problem. I'd forgotten that it needed to be done until yesterday when I tried to use TV-OUT on the test U4 when it had OverlayHD set as its skin.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Nov 20, 2017 18:35

Hi All,

OverlayHD 1.63 is currently under test with a few users. If all goes well an update will be released very soon.

This release will also be available via an online update if my feed is added to the package manager. I have a small plugin that will add the feed to my repository for users who wish to have automated installation and updates of OverlayHD.

I will update the first posts in the thread when the testers get back to me and give me the green light for a release. (OpenViX testing is complete and working, just waiting for the Beyonwiz testers.)

Regards,
Ian.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 02:27

Hi Ian.

Finally got back to this promised post. If any of this reads like telling Granny how to suck eggs I apologize in advance - just trying to be clear in what I am doing to avoid misunderstandings.

As mentioned in my other post in the 17.5 beta thread, I need to update Adoxa's patch of the OverlayHD skins_plugin.xml file to use his overall mod with version 1.64 of OverlayHD. I should have saved a clean copy of OverlayHD's install set before I tried the patch on 1.64 - I could have avoided a complete reinstall if I had. Not that that troubles me - these days I have complete confidence that I can recover from any situation with relatively little effort. And the corruption which did occur is a reflection of my specific customisation efforts, not of OverlayHD or Adoxa's patch.

I believe you know from past experience that one must install Adoxa's baseline package and then update that with a second patch that adds the EOF mark to an edit. I do find it is sensitive to the install method though. If you do revisit Adoxa's patch, I recommend extracting the files in each case to the top directory of a USB and running the setup script from that directory. I have had problems with the install corrupting if the install files are in a sub-directory.

After looking at it, I concluded that the patch itself is relatively straightforward. It deletes certain lines in the existing skins_plugin.xml file and inserts replacements. Obviously, the lines to be replaced in skins_plugin.xml have shifted or changed such that the patch did not operate correctly with 1.64. Note that because the Board rejected type ".patch" I added the .txt suffix to the attachment, which suffix could/should be deleted in normal use. And, as usual, the file must be opened in a Unix style editor to read correctly. Notepad won't cut it.

The effect that impresses me is that it reduces the number of button presses needed to edit by activating the four coloured buttons as shortcuts. I find the improved ergonomics very much improve the in-built editor. I still do serious editing on the PC but lesser tasks are very easily done on the T4 or T3 with the patch installed.

Very grateful for your offer of assistance. I am equally happy to just take a clean version of 1.64 skin_plugins.xml and work out the changes needed for myself but certainly, your expertise far exceeds mine in these matters.

regards,
Paul
Attachments
OverlayHD.patch.txt
(4.59 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:58

Hi Paul,

Give this patch for Adoxa's CutListEditor changes a try. I don't use his patch so you will need to test this change and report back.

I have adapted most of Adoxa's changes to how I would have written them. Not everything he wrote is OverlayHD friendly but as I don't use his code I can't correct it all.

Just replace the existing skin_plugins.xml with the one attached to this post. You should be able to use future OverlayHD updates by extracting the "CutListEditor" screen from this version of the skin and replacing the same screen in future skin versions. This should work as long as the main OverlayHD structure and the CutListEditor plugin remains unchanged.

Regards,
Ian.
Attachments
skin_plugins.xml.txt
Adoxa CutListEditor patch for OverlayHD 1.64
(131.2 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 19:39

Thanks Ian. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Not at home right now.
Denon AVR -X2400H

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Tue Dec 12, 2017 14:43

OverlayHD 1.64 fixed the minor issue I was having as noted in my last paragraph here (top of text slightly cut-off).
Dennis

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Dec 12, 2017 16:11

Hi Dennis,
sub3R wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 14:43
OverlayHD 1.64 fixed the minor issue I was having as noted in my last paragraph here (top of text slightly cut-off).
;)

Regards,
Ian.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:36

Ian,

Firstly, thank you for the trial patch - the amended skin_plugins file did work on the first attempt and the third and fourth time, using Adoxa's version of CutListEditor. However, the second time a crash occurred. This may just be a random event so I wouldn't waste much time on it. If it recurs then maybe there remains something to debug, which may well be in the altered ui.py or elsewhere. Since it did happen, I should record the fact for comparison if others encounter an issue with this custom combination.

Reading the crash log, (extract below) in the screenname CutListEditor it appears to my amateur eye that a variable passed to GUIComponent.py was of the wrong type. I also note the log includes two warnings that the variables OutLen and InLen are missing. From what I have read of the patch, it is not obvious if this crash has anything to do with the skin.

I have logging turned on. A search of the logs after the crash do not include any of these warnings.

Code: Select all

{542}<  5224.165> [eDVBVideo0] VIDEO_FAST_FORWARD 0 ok
{542}<  5224.165> [eDVBVideo0] VIDEO_FREEZE ok
{542}<  5224.166> [eDVBAudio0] AUDIO_PAUSE ok
{542}<  5224.166> [eDVBServicePlay] cutlists were disabled
{542}<  5224.180> [Skin] processing screen CutListEditor:
{542}<  5224.242> [GUISkin] warning, skin is missing element OutLen in <class 'Plugins.Extensions.CutListEditor.ui.CutListEditor'>
{542}<  5224.245> [ServicePosition] set seek position: 0
{542}<  5224.245> [ServicePosition] set instance.
{542}<  5224.252> [GUISkin] warning, skin is missing element InLen in <class 'Plugins.Extensions.CutListEditor.ui.CutListEditor'>
{542}<  5224.300> [Skin] processing screen SimpleSummary:
{542}<  5224.302> [SCREENNAME]  ['CutListEditor_summary', 'SimpleSummary']
{542}<  5224.305> [SCREENNAME]  CutListEditor
{542}<  5224.408> Traceback (most recent call last):
{542}<  5224.408>   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/Converter/ConditionalShowHide.py", line 20, in blinkFunc
{542}<  5224.432>   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/GUIComponent.py", line 85, in setVisible
{542}<  5224.440>   File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/GUIComponent.py", line 75, in hide
{542}<  5224.441> TypeError: an integer is required
{542}<  5224.441> [ePyObject] (CallObject(<bound method ConditionalShowHide.blinkFunc of <class 'Components.Converter.ConditionalShowHide.ConditionalShowHide'>(Blink)>,()) failed)
The background to this event was:
  1. Loaded your online update patch
  2. Upgraded to OverlayHD 1.64
  3. Installed the skin_plugins version as supplied
  4. Rebooted OK (Big tick for these elements!)
  5. Opened media
  6. Selected a file at random
  7. Edited with CutListEditor and executed cuts (all ok)
  8. Selected the second file to edit
  9. A few seconds after loading the file, the T4 crashed
  10. Machine rebooted
  11. Opened media
  12. Selected the third file to edit
  13. Edited with CutListEditor and executed cuts (all ok)
  14. Repeated the file select and edited successfully
Fingers crossed, it was just an oddball event - it seems to be fine ever since.

Paul
Denon AVR -X2400H

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Dec 13, 2017 22:19

Hi Paul,

Are you sure you are using the patched OverlayHD skin? The elements reported as missing are present in my copy of the patched skin.

Regards,
Ian.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 00:04

IanSav wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 22:19
Hi Paul,

Are you sure you are using the patched OverlayHD skin? The elements reported as missing are present in my copy of the patched skin.

Regards,
Ian.
Thanks Ian,

Yes, it was the first thing I checked earlier, after the crash and again tonight. The elements are present at lines 179:31 and 181:31 respectively in ../usr/share/enigma2/OverlayHD/skins_plugins.xml.

It seems to be working OK now. I've edited a few more files successfully since the first post. The missing variable warning is not present in any other log file so this is appearing like its a random event. Unusual in that the T4 otherwise has been rock solid on 17.5.

Cheers, Paul
Denon AVR -X2400H

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Dec 14, 2017 00:34

Hi Paul,

I will put my investigation to rest. Yell out if there are any other problems.

Regards,
Ian.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 09:19

IanSav wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 00:34
Hi Paul,

I will put my investigation to rest. Yell out if there are any other problems.

Regards,
Ian.
Will do.

Cheers, Paul
Denon AVR -X2400H

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Dec 17, 2017 00:16

Hi All,

A new version of OverlayHD has been released. The first two posts of this thread have been updated with the OverlayHD version 1.64 information. Please note that there is a new and simplified installation / update procedure for those users running the latest 17.5 beta.

As usual I welcome comments, feedback and bug reports on the OverlayHD skin or its control plugin.

Enjoy!

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jan 06, 2018 13:06

Minor glitch in the OverlayHD skin for the IMDB search page: if there are more lines in the "detailslabel" widget than there is space in the widget, the scroll bar for the widget slightly overlaps the "User Ratings" text. This isn't obvious in the current state of the IMDb Search plugin, because so many of the screen scraping matches are broken that it's the widget is very unlikely to need to scroll.

Of course, if the first line of the "detailslabel" widget text is very long, it may also overlap the "User Ratings" text.

With the fixes I'm currently working on for the IMDb Search widget, the "detailslabel" widget text is more likely to need to scroll, because it will contain more entries.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Jan 06, 2018 13:37

Hi Prl,

Thank you for the report. As soon as your fixes are available I will correct OverlayHD to suit. :)

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jan 06, 2018 16:37

IanSav wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 13:37
Thank you for the report. As soon as your fixes are available I will correct OverlayHD to suit. :)

It's simply a matter of geometry that
<widget name="detailslabel" position="200,120" size="950,180" ... />
overlaps
<widget name="ratinglabel" position="1020,105" size="210,25" ... />

The overlap region coordinates are (l, t, r, b)=(1150. 120, 1230, 125).

If you want a repeatable test case, you could apply the following patch to enigma2-plugins/imdb/src/plugin.py:

Code: Select all

diff --git a/imdb/src/plugin.py b/imdb/src/plugin.py
index 93f0f02..6f31beb 100644
--- a/imdb/src/plugin.py
+++ b/imdb/src/plugin.py
@@ -728,6 +728,8 @@ class IMDB(Screen):
                                if self.generalinfos.group(category):
                                        Detailstext += "\n" + self.generalinfos.group('g_'+category) + ": " + self.htmltags.sub('', self.generalinfos.group(category).replace('\n',' ').replace("<br>", '\n').replace("<br />",'\n'))

+                       Detailstext += "\n" + "\n".join(("Extra line " + str(i) for i in range(8)))
+
                        rating = self.ratingmask.search(self.inhtml)
                        Ratingtext = _("no user rating yet")
                        if rating:
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jan 06, 2018 16:59

Again in the IMDB Search plugin, OverlayHD seems to have inherited an incorrect aspect ratio for the "movie poster" image from the pre-installed skins.

All the IMDb pages I've checked use a 182x268 poster image, aspect ratio of about 2:3 (actually closer to 0.68). The "no_poster.png" image in the plugin is 94x140, again close to 2:3 (0.67).

The "poster" widget size is 110x180 for an aspect ratio of 0.61. The image scaling preserves aspect ratio, so the poster images always have black bands top and bottom.

If the "poster" widget size is changed to 122x180 (preserving vertical size), its aspect ratio is 0.68 and the image fits the widget much better.

This change can be tested on the current IMDb Search plugin.

I'm looking at all this because I want to improve the layout of the preinstalled skins' IMDB screen skins: make their layout correspond better to the standard skin screen layout and make use of all the available space (as the OverlayHD skin already does).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

dRdoS7
Wizard

Re: Improving the built-in EPG Search and single-channel EPG skins

Post by dRdoS7 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 18:37

HI,

Probably the wrong place, but could both descriptions be displayed in Media Player?

I record a show (Edgar Wallace) which almost always has the same description (Long) in the Media Player, if I press Info it shows both the Long & Short. In the EPG it shows both, in the Timer screen it shows the Short.

I only use OverlayHD, with Media Player in Slim mode don't know if the other skins are the same.

Thanks,

dRdoS7

Return to “Skins”