Moderators: Gully, peteru

IanSav
Uber Wizard

default_skin

Post by IanSav » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:47

Hi PeterU,
peteru wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 19:51
An online update has been pushed to the beta feed. It should fix the issue with default_skin being incorrectly available in the skin selector.
This is an incomplete solution. Any issue with the production skins will require the emergency skin to be available. If the emergency skin does become activated the issues will still be there.

Regards,
Ian.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: beyonwiz-19.3 20200328

Post by MrQuade » Mon Apr 06, 2020 13:13

IanSav wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:47
This is an incomplete solution. Any issue with the production skins will require the emergency skin to be available. If the emergency skin does become activated the issues will still be there.
You think?? You're pretty much stating the obvious there.

The alternative is to bring the whole Beyonwiz firmware up to speed, which as has been discussed ad-nauseam is a *big* job.
I'm sure once the big job is tackled, all the compatible skins will be reinstated.

For now, there is unlikely to be problems with the production skin as it is so intrinsic to the Beywonwiz firmware that everything is developed in lock-step.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Re: beyonwiz-19.3 20200328

Post by prl » Mon Apr 06, 2020 13:54

I suspect that there are a lot of screens in the Beyonwiz firmware that won't work with any version of the default skin.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

peteru
Uber Wizard

Re: default_skin

Post by peteru » Mon Apr 06, 2020 17:06

The "default skin" is only used to provide some graphic elements to code that has paths to skin_default hardcoded and to third party plugins that have not been skinned in the Beyonwiz skins (although most of the time these have embedded skins anyway). It is not a full skin solution for the firmware and it was never intended to be so. The Beyonwiz firmware requires skinning features that are simply not supported by skins that are not specifically developed and maintained for the Beyonwiz firmware. The About screen is one such example, but there are many other instances scattered through the code base.

This is intentional, to provide a custom Beyonwiz user experience. The entire reason why the Beyonwiz distro was created (way back before I inherited it) was to provide a user experience that was different enough from the other distros that a simple re-skin was not possible.

I think the issue here is that the author of OverlayHD is putting the cart before the horse. Third party skins are an optional extra and it is the responsibility of the skin authors to make skins compatible with the images that they purport to support. Not the other way around.

I am tired of the constant tirade about this topic as well as other disparaging comments about the firmware. This seems to have escalated again lately. The source code is out there and anyone is free to fork it. If someone is interested in making progress faster than I can, they can do an upstream merge (and I mean a full merge with commit history, not just a source code dump), conflict resolution, testing and then they can submit a pull request with the commented merge resolution commit history. If they are not willing to do that work (and there's a lot to be done), then they should stop whining.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Re: default_skin

Post by IanSav » Tue Apr 07, 2020 00:12

Hi PeterU,

Thank you for such a constructive comment. I am glad to see that you haven't changed.
peteru wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 17:06
The "default skin" is only used to provide some graphic elements to code that has paths to skin_default hardcoded and to third party plugins that have not been skinned in the Beyonwiz skins (although most of the time these have embedded skins anyway). It is not a full skin solution for the firmware and it was never intended to be so.
The default_skin is not simply a repository of images. It is a fully fledged and viable skin. In fact in all the other images it is known as the emergency skin. This skin is used as a fallback should any of the nominated skins fail to load. It also has a significantly more important role. This skin provides screen definitions for all key screens in Enigma2. Any core screen that is not represented in the current skin will be provided by the emergency skin.
peteru wrote:
The Beyonwiz firmware requires skinning features that are simply not supported by skins that are not specifically developed and maintained for the Beyonwiz firmware. The About screen is one such example, but there are many other instances scattered through the code base.
With the knowledge and experience I now have working with OpenATV, OpenPLi, OpenViX and the other images working with me I now appreciate how wrong is this comment.

All the other images co-operate with each other or else fork the default emergency skin and ensure that it is *always* fully functional in each image. In this case Beyonwiz should have maintained the emergency skin to retain its correct functionality. Simply hiding it from view does nothing to address any of the issues raised.
peteru wrote:
This is intentional, to provide a custom Beyonwiz user experience. The entire reason why the Beyonwiz distro was created (way back before I inherited it) was to provide a user experience that was different enough from the other distros that a simple re-skin was not possible.
All the images have their own "custom" experience. That is no way negates the need to have a properly working emergency skin.
peteru wrote:
I think the issue here is that the author of OverlayHD is putting the cart before the horse. Third party skins are an optional extra and it is the responsibility of the skin authors to make skins compatible with the images that they purport to support. Not the other way around.
It really pains you to have to reply to me. Too bad, deal with it!

As the author of OverlayHD the skin is fully functional with Beyonwiz. As Beyonwiz continues to fall behind I have decided it is not worth the effort to maintain it on this platform. I will look at any issues that make the skin fail on Beyonwiz but it is not worth the effort trying to add new changes into the old code. The Beyonwiz image is now becoming lost in a timewarp where none of the developments and enhancements in its peers are being merged into the Beyonwiz code base.
peteru wrote:
I am tired of the constant tirade about this topic as well as other disparaging comments about the firmware. This seems to have escalated again lately. The source code is out there and anyone is free to fork it. If someone is interested in making progress faster than I can, they can do an upstream merge (and I mean a full merge with commit history, not just a source code dump), conflict resolution, testing and then they can submit a pull request with the commented merge resolution commit history. If they are not willing to do that work (and there's a lot to be done), then they should stop whining.
And here is your real problem. You constantly rejected my efforts and refused to accept my code submissions. I was a keen and vigilant supporter of the Beyonwiz firmware. You told me that my changes were making Beyonwiz firmware different from upstream and making you task of merging from upstream more difficult. You then directed me to stop making changes to the Beyonwiz firmware and instead make them to the upstream repositories. You assured me that when I could get my changes accepted you would then merge them. That has never happened. The massive merge and update task with which you don't want to deal is one of your own making.

I suspect you made your directive for me to commit to upstream repositories in the hope / expectation that my contributions would be rejected upstream. Unfortunately for you the exact opposite has happened. My input is valued from all the images with whom I now work. I am being asked to make more and more changes across the Entire Enigma2 code base. With every passing day more and more of Enigma2 is being refactored, modernised and improved. A lot of the effort is being done or coordinated by me.

By not maintaining your duties as the only Beyonwiz repository manager with access to write to the repository you have allowed the Beyonwiz firmware to become seriously out of step with its peers. This is not my fault. I offered all the code to Beyonwiz and you refused it. If you kept up with the changes as they happened you wouldn't be in this situation. If you want to stop the "tirade" (I never knew that a small handful of posts was a "tirade".) then stop complaining about the posts and fix / update the firmware. My "disparaging" comments are not about the firmware but the lack of its proper maintenance. I wouldn't make any of these posts if it wasn't for Beyonwiz users coming to me and asking for assistance. It is for them that I post.

I am now being asked by the various image teams to make significant changes across all the images including areas with which I never expected to have a part. For example, I have just completed a major refactor of the Harddisk.py disk management code. This is not something I would normally undertake. I have a development partner in this effort who is working with me as an equal to fix and improve the code. We will soon be offering this code to the other images to help them improve their code and resolve some of the many issues in the original. This team will soon be making similar changes to the MultiBoot system. In another project I am now working with the three major images to completely refactor and rewrite most of the skin and converter code. This project is well under way.

The reason for mentioning all this is to highlight that the images can, and are, working together to improve Enigma2. As a member of the wider Enigma2 community I am now a part of that change. These improvements are not for any single image but for all images and the Enigma2 community together. The individual images are generally embracing change and are most tolerant of small issues that crop up along the way. As one of the image maintanners recently told me, "You have to break a few eggs to make the cake.! They can see the bigger picture. That picture is a more unified Enigma2 with significantly more code being shared and kept in step. This is being done because the pool of Enigma2 developers is declining and a number of the images would rather co-operate then perish. By the way, so far none of the images have lost any of their individuality by using common and shared code.

After the years of abuse trying to submit code to Beyonwiz I will not be trying to get you to accept any more of my code. You will need to do this yourself. Your treatment of me has placed you in this predicament. So rather that viewing my constructive comments as whining you should be doing all the Beyonwiz users a favour and start bringing the Beyonwiz firmware up to date. It probably doesn't matter what upstream image you use as they are all moving to use my matched code.

Regards,
Ian.

Return to “Skins”