Movie list multiple selections

Moderators: Gully, peteru

prl
Wizard God

Re: Movie list multiple selections

Post by prl » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:03

adoxa wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:55
Movie marking doesn't modify enigma2, but you could have a look in /usr/bin to see if it's there. If you've installed something else of mine you may have enigma2~; if so, rename it back to enigma2 and hope that works. There's also the related /usr/lib/enigma2/python/enigma.pyo - check its date is similar to enigma2.

On hacked firmware, a mismatch between /usr/bin/enigma2 and /usr/lib/enigma2/python/enigma.pyo can cause exactly those symptoms, but as you say, the movie-marking patch doesn't change those files. But some other patch might have. Also look for /usr/bin/enigma2.bak and /usr/lib/enigma2/python/enigma.pyo.bak, since that's how I back up files when my patches are used.

There is a potential for problems if an online update is done while a patch is applied (and that goes for both the way I issue patches and the way you do).
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Aug 27, 2018 22:39

Hi Adoxa,

I just ran into an issue with this code. The "0" button is part of the name search facility. By redirecting this function all the search characters associated with "0" are now inaccessible. I should have realised this earlier but I am heavily testing the new NumericalTextInput code and couldn't access some of the characters I wanted to test.

I know that PeterU didn't want a modal control but I am beginning to think that from a UI perspective having MovieSelection working more like FileCommander would be a much better choice.

Can the problem with the "0" button please be fixed ASAP.

Regards,
Ian.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Aug 27, 2018 23:09

What is the name search feature?
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Tue Aug 28, 2018 00:03

You can use the digits SMS-style to move to a movie starting with that character. 0 is "0%_", which seem unlikely to start a movie, hence my using it for marking.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Aug 28, 2018 00:08

Hi MrQuade,
MrQuade wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 23:09
What is the name search feature?
In MovieSelection you can press any digit to use SMS style entry to jump straight to the first file using that character. The correct UI for this feature is only in OverlayHD.

With the selection code stealing the 0 the selection is not fully operational.

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Aug 28, 2018 00:10

Hi Adoxa,
adoxa wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 00:03
You can use the digits SMS-style to move to a movie starting with that character. 0 is "0%_", which seem unlikely to start a movie, hence my using it for marking.
Unlikely or not one function should not break another.

If you won't consider making the UI like the already familiar FileCommander then why don't you move the mark function to FAV. I am pretty sure that FAV is unused.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:28

IanSav wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 00:10
Hi Adoxa,
adoxa wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 00:03
Unlikely or not one function should not break another.

If you won't consider making the UI like the already familiar FileCommander

"Familiar" FileCommander? Not to most users, I suspect. Anyway, I wouldn't hold up FileCommander as an exemplar of UI design. Its modality and its strange change of available functions in its multi-select mode is IMO one of its least attractive features.
IanSav wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 00:10
then why don't you move the mark function to FAV. I am pretty sure that FAV is unused.

I actually use the name search function in the movie list a moderate amount, and I've never had occasion to search using the 0 button. Restoring its function would allow you to search on any of the characters "0%_" as the first character of a recording or media file name, provided you could remember that that's what it does, because, apart from "0", those characters aren't screenprinted on the button. You get no visual feedback about the search character.

However, I wouldn't mind "0" being restored to the search function and FAV, or another key, used in is place. AUTOTIMER (U4 remote only), TIMER, EPG, SLOW, PLUGIN, SLEEP, ABOUT (U4 remote only), SETUP (U4 remote only), SUBTITLE, AUDIO, TEXT and PIP (T series remotes only) are unused in the media selection screen.

One thing that I found while I was looking for free characters is that the keymap context MovielistSeekActions, while retained in MovieSelection, has disappeared from keymap.xml. :shock:
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:16

One of the things I don't like is for buttons with specific labels to be randomly assigned a function (eg. if hypothetically, RADIO was assigned to the "delete" function....the label association makes no sense). Basically, anything that relies on the user "already knowing" is less preferable to being able to intuit, or remind themself of the function based on the key label. "0" is not ideal in that sense, but at least it is somewhat nondescript, and located between the NEXT and PREV buttons which perform a similar function.

I think of those available buttons, the FAV button probably suggests the closest thing to a "mark" than any of the others (and the buttons that appear only on specific remotes can be discounted immediately), and depending on the remote, is easily accessible. I am however with adoxa and prl and think that the usefulness of the "0" key for search is very very limited and support leaving "0" as mark.

However, the thought process suggested a new function idea to me that might suit the FAV button better. Discussion of this could continue somewhere more appropriate if it seems useful.

Would it be a good idea to indicate bookmarked directories by displaying the directory's icon with a small overlaid bookmark? Would that overly slow down directory listings?
The FAV button could be used to toggle the bookmark on and off for a selected directory (the FAV label lends itself to this function). It is possibly not a frequently used enough function that merits a single button shortcut, though it may be more useful to a user who sets timer specific recording destination directories as opposed to an IceTV user such as myself?
The same suggestion works for File Commander.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:43

MrQuade wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:16
Would it be a good idea to indicate bookmarked directories by displaying the directory's icon with a small overlaid bookmark? Would that overly slow down directory listings?

I doubt it would be much of a performance hit. I can elaborate when you start a new topic.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:54

Hi,

I do not agree with the "0" button being misappropriated and breaking another function. Just because a few people don't currently want to search for any of the characters obscured by the loss of the "0" button doesn't devalue the fact that some functionality has irretrievably been lost. Simply moving the function to an unused button could resolve the issue. As for documenting the meaning of the limited number of buttons on the remote control, isn't that what the HELP button is for?

I will not strenuously advocate further on this issue but please note that not advocating does not mean I agree or accept the problem should remain.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Aug 28, 2018 13:17

I disagree that the search function is "broken". It continues to work for me in exactly the way I'm accustomed to use it, and I understand adoxa's rationale for selecting that button for the toggle selection button, as it lies between PREV and NEXT for move up & toggle and toggle & move down.

On the other hand, I don't strongly disagree with moving it to another button, even though that would be less favourably located (FAV is close to as far apart from PREV/NEXT as is possible for two buttons on the U4 remote, and nearly as far apart on the T2 & T4 remotes).
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 14:21

prl wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 13:17
I disagree that the search function is "broken". It continues to work for me in exactly the way I'm accustomed to use it, and I understand adoxa's rationale for selecting that button for the toggle selection button, as it lies between PREV and NEXT for move up & toggle and toggle & move down.

On the other hand, I don't strongly disagree with moving it to another button, even though that would be less favourably located (FAV is close to as far apart from PREV/NEXT as is possible for two buttons on the U4 remote, and nearly as far apart on the T2 & T4 remotes).

Having read the discussion, I favour the current approach to moviemarking's use of the zero key.

This is not to dismiss Ian's view as being anything less than being a valid concern that merits consideration. Streamlining the UI and making navigation consistent is a lofty goal that I strongly support. Whilst I am now used to it, it doesn't mean that the current interface isn't in need of a substantial overhaul. It is mind-bogglingly difficult to navigate except with years of guidance from experienced hands with "the Knowledge". Barely a day goes by that some new, esoteric, hidden feature is mentioned in this forum. My greatest burden at home is guiding the other half through the interface, screen by screen (a true first world problem!).

I use the search function regularly. Moreover, I have numbered two directories: "1_Saved" and "2_Science" to force them to the top of the list whilst S2F adds new directories below them. I can access the first with a single press of the "1" key. Any other number requires four presses. What I have yet to encounter is a need to use "0" for accessing a file or folder. So, if the only functionality that is lost is "jump to the file/folder starting with zero" in the movielist screen then I think the layout convenience factor prl notes is overwhelming.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Aug 28, 2018 14:46

Hi Prl,
prl wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 13:17

I wanted to jump to some files that I have stored that used punctuation characters I had assigned for exactly this purpose. Obviously that didn't work and alerted me to the issue. For me the function is now very much broken.

Regards,
ian.

Return to “Bug Reporting and Feature Requests”