Timeshift warning

Moderators: Gully, peteru

scotty
Master

Timeshift warning

Post by scotty » Thu Mar 17, 2016 19:07

If you're timeshifting or saving the current event and try to change channels you get the timeshift warning asking what you want to do.

If you then select "Continue timeshifting" the channel change is cancelled, which is what you want.

The problem is that if you later change channels you get no warning at all and you lose your timeshift buffer or the timeshift save is cancelled.

Is it possible to make two changes...

If timeshifting, warn the user each time so you don't lose the buffer. (I probably forgot I was timeshifting since the last ad break when I tried to change channels)

If saving the current event, don't warn the user at all. Just quietly do the function "Save timeshift and continue recording". (I've already told the system I want to save the current event)

Scotty
T3 - 2TB WD Purple, Logitech Harmony Smart Control
T2 - 60GB Patriot Blaze SSD, Logitech Harmony One
IceTV

scotty
Master

Re: Timeshift warning

Post by scotty » Wed May 04, 2016 17:57

Does anyone think this is an issue worth resolving?

Scotty
IceTV

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed May 04, 2016 18:12

Hi Scotty,

I don't think I have hit this issue but it would be preferred if it was fixed. Mind you if I forgot I was in time shift then I would not notice that it broke. ;)

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed May 04, 2016 18:56

scotty wrote:If you're timeshifting or saving the current event and try to change channels you get the timeshift warning asking what you want to do.

If you then select "Continue timeshifting" the channel change is cancelled, which is what you want.

The problem is that if you later change channels you get no warning at all and you lose your timeshift buffer or the timeshift save is cancelled.
I've posted elsewhere (in the recent topic about problems with saving the timeshift) that "Continue timeshifting" cancels saving the current event. That's a bug IMO. I'll check the effect of "Continue timeshifting" on a later channel change when timeshifting.
scotty wrote:If saving the current event, don't warn the user at all. Just quietly do the function "Save timeshift and continue recording". (I've already told the system I want to save the current event)
I'm not sure that's a good idea, but I'm happy to go with a consensus in that direction.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

scotty
Master

Post by scotty » Mon Jun 20, 2016 17:08

My first issue regarding not getting a second warning about leaving timeshift has been fixed as part of prl's changes in viewtopic.php?f=50&t=10261
Thanks Peter!

Regarding my second issue about not having to confirm for a second time that you want to save timeshift if you change channel:

If people are happy with the current behaviour of having to select "save timeshft and continue recording" when the system is set to "ask user", even though you've already asked the system to save timeshift, that's fine.
Peter points out:
prl wrote:It's presenting you with the opportunity to do something other than what you originally asked. One of the options is to continue doing what you asked to do, but it's not the only option.
Does anyone support having an additional setting of "Ask user (if not already saving timeshift)"? If already saving timeshift the action would be "save timeshift and continue recording" without any prompt.

Scotty
IceTV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Mon Jun 20, 2016 17:53

Yep, I think it is a very sensible thing to have as optional behaviour.
I don't use "Ask" myself, but if I did, and had chosen to save timeshift, I wouldn't expect to have to be asked again.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Return to “Bug Reporting and Feature Requests”