Site Admin

Past Image Discussion beyonwizt3-20140528

Post by Wiz HQ » Fri May 30, 2014 15:59

New Beyonwiz T3 Image Available v. 28.05.2014

Download: http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/t3/firmware/ ... 28_usb.zip

New spinner animation.
Updated bootlogo.
Updated tuning tables.
Updated remote control and Beyonwiz T3 images used in the help screen and web interface.
Updated the location for software feeds.
Reworded misleading error message when retrieving feed data fails.
Added some debug/trace code to assist in identifying the source of some rarely seen problems.
Various improvements for skin authors, such as better error messages.
Fix skin errors in Plugin Browser.
Simplify the way colour buttons are handled in the skin.
Remove some warning messages generated by skin.
Fix opkg-list location file to support new style feeds
Disable Common Interface and Language config options for Beyonwiz machines
Fix up brightness limits so that the front panel display can be turned off in standby.
Alphablend spinners to avoid grotty edges.
[MovieSelection] Fix a spelling mistake in help text.
Updated drivers.
Better build versioning mechanism.

Fixes for:
Fix #201 - DVD ISO playback has no sound
Fix #226 - Update terrestrial.xml for 20140521
Fix #180 - Media Player crashes once file has finished playing
Fix #227 - Exiting from an unchanged settings screen often gives an incorrect "Really close...?" message
Fix #229 - Wrong key code for BACK key on the RCU
Fix #151 - BACK doesn't work correctly in T3 Webif interface
Fix #225 - More resilient scanning algorithms to deal with bad values sent by broadcasters such as GWN7. The broadcaster has mis-configured the Terrestrial Delivery System Descriptor and is transmitting invalid values.
Fix #235 - Sources shows some network devices twice
Fix #236 - File Commander cannot navigate/play files
Fix #24 - More user-friendly disk volume naming
Fix #227 - Stop asking "Really close without saving settings?" when screen contains number selection fields that have not changed in value.
Fix #233 - Cannot create multiple timers
Fix #234 - DVB-T appended to the end of channel names in timers
Fix #221 - Movie Player can't delete empty folder
Fix #237 - MovieList browser can leave user trapped in a directory
Regards,

Wiz HQ
Forum Admin

dmetelli
Apprentice

Re: Latest Firmware Image and Upgrade Instructions

Post by dmetelli » Sat May 31, 2014 13:29

I've made a big mistake. I tried to do the first upgrade using a 3.0 USB and it didn't work. It wasn't until i used a 2.0 USB on the second firmware upgrade that it worked like the instructions. Because it all seemed to work i didn't address the issue then. I can't find the early upgrades now. Can u help me please ? and Will it matter if it is upgraded out of order ?

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat May 31, 2014 13:49

dmetelli wrote:I've made a big mistake. I tried to do the first upgrade using a 3.0 USB and it didn't work. It wasn't until i used a 2.0 USB on the second firmware upgrade that it worked like the instructions. Because it all seemed to work i didn't address the issue then. I can't find the early upgrades now. Can u help me please ? and Will it matter if it is upgraded out of order ?
You only need to do the latest one, they are not cumulative.
Cheers
Gully

dmetelli
Apprentice

Post by dmetelli » Sat May 31, 2014 14:03

Good one.... Thx Gully....

Dennis_3003
Apprentice

Post by Dennis_3003 » Sat May 31, 2014 14:17

Hello Wiz HQ and Forum Readers

For this firmware should we upgrade via USB or through the software upgrade section in the settings menu?

Dennis
T3-500
DP-S1, packed away as a backup, hoping to never have to go there ;)
Custom Build Windows 7 PC
Lenovo E431 Windows 10 Laptop
Acer Iconia A1-810
Samsung Galaxy S5

Development and hard work is the answer ;)

nylonnet
Master

Post by nylonnet » Sat May 31, 2014 14:21

Many thanks. I always get excited by a firmware update.
<violins> That's the state of my poor miserable life now... (sob) </violins>

But anyway. It's great to see regular upgrades issuing from frantic productivity going on at the secret Wiz Head Quarters.

(cough) Umm... Any plans for firmware renovations to the DP series, or should we not keep hoping?
Or maybe perhaps, release the DP firmware as open source and let the public tinker with it. Perhaps?

Fix #24 - More user-friendly disk volume naming.
Yay! I think I'll call my T3 hard disk "Timmy"...
Wiz U4 (500GB SSD)
- ASUS VIVOMINI VC65R-G002M as a download/media server
- Harmony 650
- Synology DS-418 (36TB) NAS
- Panasonic Viera 55" plasma TV
- Yamaha RX-565 receiver / amp
- Subaru BRZ
- Coolmax socks, Bonds jocks.

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat May 31, 2014 14:22

Dennis_3003 wrote:For this firmware should we upgrade via USB or through the software upgrade section in the settings menu?
USB
Cheers
Gully

Dennis_3003
Apprentice

Post by Dennis_3003 » Sat May 31, 2014 14:29

Gully wrote:
Dennis_3003 wrote:For this firmware should we upgrade via USB or through the software upgrade section in the settings menu?
USB
OK, thanks.
T3-500
DP-S1, packed away as a backup, hoping to never have to go there ;)
Custom Build Windows 7 PC
Lenovo E431 Windows 10 Laptop
Acer Iconia A1-810
Samsung Galaxy S5

Development and hard work is the answer ;)

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Sat May 31, 2014 14:49

I think I will rename my T3 hard disk after my cat "Madeleine Grey" ....... may she sing as sweetly....
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat May 31, 2014 14:59

nylonnet wrote:Fix #24 - More user-friendly disk volume naming.
Yay! I think I'll call my T3 hard disk "Timmy"...
You may be disappointed. I was (and it was my Feature Request).
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Drew
On probation

Post by Drew » Sat May 31, 2014 16:00

I tried upgrading, now T3 won't start up - It just says booting, eventually has a break and back to booting ? What could have gone wrong?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat May 31, 2014 16:09

Drew wrote:I tried upgrading, now T3 won't start up - It just says booting, eventually has a break and back to booting ? What could have gone wrong?
Have you tried just letting it run and seeing if it eventually (after ~5 tries for me, up to about 20 min from jase's report)?

How far into the boot process does it get? And does it get a bit further into the process each each boot attempt?

Even if it is the problem that jase and I have seen, unfortunately I don't have any solution.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Drew
On probation

Post by Drew » Sat May 31, 2014 16:13

I downloaded file from another computer - this time all went smoothly - back in business now!

Krusty
Master

Post by Krusty » Sat May 31, 2014 16:27

Are we to assume that the previously noted bug whereby the EPG returns to current day when a timer is set was not addressed? This is especially annoying if several timers are to be set progressively over the next week! :cry:

Also is it a known issue that if additional files other than the default are chosen for backup that when a backup is attempted the T3 locks up & can only be recovered by a power off, (highly risky when in the process of a backup). This is also the case if a restore is attempted that included extra files. :?

In fact if this is attempted the only process for recovery is to re-flash yet again since it will NOT boot! :x

Could I also throw in a request regarding the abysmal default colour schemes of the EPG? The graphic choice verges on unreadable & the Text choice whilst more readable is far from ideal. Is it possible to actually give the user a colour setting option? :?:

Krusty
Master

Post by Krusty » Sat May 31, 2014 16:30

Drew wrote:I tried upgrading, now T3 won't start up - It just says booting, eventually has a break and back to booting ? What could have gone wrong?
I have seen this numerous times over the past four weeks of dramas having found it necessary to re-flash many times. Generally just re-flashing the T3 again eliminated the problem. Give that a try! :wink:

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat May 31, 2014 18:44

Krusty wrote:Are we to assume that the previously noted bug whereby the EPG returns to current day when a timer is set was not addressed? This is especially annoying if several timers are to be set progressively over the next week! :cry:
It was not fixed. It's in the bug tracker as Bug report #172 - Graphical EPG loses position with timer manipulation.
Krusty wrote:Also is it a known issue that if additional files other than the default are chosen for backup that when a backup is attempted the T3 locks up & can only be recovered by a power off, (highly risky when in the process of a backup). This is also the case if a restore is attempted that included extra files. :?

In fact if this is attempted the only process for recovery is to re-flash yet again since it will NOT boot! :x
I just tried adding /etc/dropbear (ssh server config directory) to the backup list and it worked just fine, for both backup and restore.

Can you elaborate? Which files/directories did you add?
Krusty wrote:Could I also throw in a request regarding the abysmal default colour schemes of the EPG? The graphic choice verges on unreadable & the Text choice whilst more readable is far from ideal. Is it possible to actually give the user a colour setting option? :?:
There are 20+ colours defined in the EPG. They appear to be alterable through a skin definition, but that doesn't appear to be being used.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sun Jun 01, 2014 02:06

If you want to upgrade to 20140528, you need to use the USB method.

If you are currently running 20140523 or later, you can use the online update.

If you end up using the online update as of now, you will actually upgrade to 20140531. This is a rolling update that has some bug fixes for bugs that were reported in this thread and a few other improvements. All these changes will be integrated into the next USB upgrade, but if you don't want to wait, you can do the online update now.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 02:49

Went without a hitch,
Firmware version: 4.1.20140531151247
Driver date: 20140522
Kernel version: 3.6.0
Gui version: 2014-06-01

Still can't get Easyino to show up after downloading it :(
Tezza

Beyonwiz T4, 1TB internal WD Green HDD, 4TB USB Portable HDD
Beyonwiz T4, 500GB 2.5" internal HD
LG 500w sound bar
LG 70UF770T LED LCD 4K 70" TV
LG Magic Remote

spectrum
Apprentice

Post by spectrum » Sun Jun 01, 2014 08:28

Upgraded.

Still got the UP/DOWN Button bug quite often. Normally in the "Power Section" (Reboot/Restart/etc). Restart GUI and it works again for a little while.

Can't play any recorded TV anymore, just give me the blue logo with the spinning thingo.

Live TV File, network video files fine. TV, won't play new recording or old recording.

spectrum
Apprentice

Post by spectrum » Sun Jun 01, 2014 08:35

Further to this, copied recorded file across network - plays fine on Macbook.

spectrum
Apprentice

Post by spectrum » Sun Jun 01, 2014 08:38

Ran "Software" update, and it found 34 updates. Says it couldn't download the log file, so I couldn't see what the updates were.

Let it run them anyway, now I can watch TV again. Was this issue already addressed?

Krusty
Master

Post by Krusty » Sun Jun 01, 2014 08:46

prl wrote:
Krusty wrote:Also is it a known issue that if additional files other than the default are chosen for backup that when a backup is attempted the T3 locks up & can only be recovered by a power off, (highly risky when in the process of a backup). This is also the case if a restore is attempted that included extra files. :?

I just tried adding /etc/dropbear (ssh server config directory) to the backup list and it worked just fine, for both backup and restore.

Can you elaborate? Which files/directories did you add?
Thanks Peter, Apologies - a lack of understanding on my part! :oops: I selected firstly a front USB 16Gb thumb drive (known to be compatible), then selected all files/directories since I don't know what each relates to. What I didn't understand was that the backup process takes over 15 minutes with no on screen information as to progress. The resultant enigma2settingsbackup.tar.gz was just under 60Mb in size so I'm confident that the backup is fine. I didn't restore it though as a test just in case! :?

Just one other question, is there anywhere a list of reported bugs as this would prevent duplication such as the EPG question? :wink:

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:39

Krusty wrote:...
Thanks Peter, Apologies - a lack of understanding on my part! :oops: I selected firstly a front USB 16Gb thumb drive (known to be compatible), then selected all files/directories since I don't know what each relates to. What I didn't understand was that the backup process takes over 15 minutes with no on screen information as to progress. The resultant enigma2settingsbackup.tar.gz was just under 60Mb in size so I'm confident that the backup is fine. I didn't restore it though as a test just in case! :?
I'm not surprised that you got a big backup doing that. You have to be more selective, and the backup selection allows you to navigate (OK on a folder opens the folder).

You have to be more selective, because, for example, if you save /usr in the settings backup, you'll save /usr/share/enigma2. If you restore that, you'll undo any changes to the T3 skin (and other UI) files that have been made in the upgrade.
Krusty wrote:Just one other question, is there anywhere a list of reported bugs as this would prevent duplication such as the EPG question? :wink:
My understanding is that topics like Firmware 20140505 Bug & Wish List would contain references back into the bug tracker, but the bugs & wish list hasn't been carried forward to new firmware versions.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Krusty
Master

Post by Krusty » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:30

prl wrote:
Krusty wrote:...You have to be more selective, because, for example, if you save /usr in the settings backup, you'll save /usr/share/enigma2. If you restore that, you'll undo any changes to the T3 skin (and other UI) files that have been made in the upgrade.
Thanks Peter, It seemed like a good idea at the time but now in hindsight & with a better insight I will only backup the default list. :D

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:18

Krusty wrote:... Thanks Peter, It seemed like a good idea at the time but now in hindsight & with a better insight I will only backup the default list. :D
That's perhaps too conservative, but you do need to be reasonably targetted when you add files to the backup list.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:22

netmask wrote:I think I will rename my T3 hard disk after my cat "Madeleine Grey" ....... may she sing as sweetly....
Not in this firmware...

You can relabel the internal HDD with the e2label command, but only through the command line interface. But the name won't show up anywhere in the user interface.

Peteru and I think we know how to get labels into the Sources list, but it's not yet being worked on.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:38

quel dommage!
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

bpratt
Master

Post by bpratt » Sun Jun 01, 2014 13:28

I've just updated the firmware, and having a bit of a play with it.

Sadly the arrow keys are still just a short cut for fast forward/rewind, rather than the P2 of skip so many seconds that all former P1/P2 customers would be used to. I'm sure there's sufficient demand for this to happen in a later firmware.

EPG is still slow to come up when I hit the EPG button.

spectrum
Apprentice

Post by spectrum » Sun Jun 01, 2014 13:33

Use the numbers

1 3
4 6
7 9

bpratt
Master

Post by bpratt » Sun Jun 01, 2014 13:59

Thanks for that, but I was hoping the 15 second skip feature would be the same as on the P2's at some stage, so as to have a consistant flow from a P2 to a T3. :)

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jun 01, 2014 14:08

bpratt wrote:Thanks for that, but I was hoping the 15 second skip feature would be the same as on the P2's at some stage, so as to have a consistant flow from a P2 to a T3. :)
It's Enhancement request 183 - map 4 custom skips to arrow keys. But there's also the question of were to implement the functions that are currently mapped to UP and DOWN.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun Jun 01, 2014 14:52

bpratt wrote:Thanks for that, but I was hoping the 15 second skip feature would be the same as on the P2's at some stage, so as to have a consistant flow from a P2 to a T3. :)
I am sure it will be if they can implement the changes but not yet,
Cheers
Gully

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jun 01, 2014 15:34

Gully wrote:
I am sure it will be if they can implement the changes but not yet,
What "15 second skip feature" on the DP series? All skips are user-configurable on the DPs, and of course 15 seconds can be chosen.

Skip times are user-configurable on the current numerical skip keys on the T3 (and 1/3 default to 15 sec back/forward). I can't see why the configurability of the skips would be lost if the skip keys were reassigned to the arrow keys. I don't think that there are any beta testers who would think that fixed skips are a good idea.

I would like to see the skips on the arrow buttons made individually configurable as they are on the DPs, not pairwise as they are on the T3.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

tezza007
Wizard

Post by tezza007 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 15:38

I'm loving the arrow keys for FF and REW, so much easier to use than the tiny << and >> keys.
Tezza

Beyonwiz T4, 1TB internal WD Green HDD, 4TB USB Portable HDD
Beyonwiz T4, 500GB 2.5" internal HD
LG 500w sound bar
LG 70UF770T LED LCD 4K 70" TV
LG Magic Remote

bpratt
Master

Post by bpratt » Sun Jun 01, 2014 16:53

prl wrote: What "15 second skip feature" on the DP series? All skips are user-configurable on the DPs, and of course 15 seconds can be chosen.
That's the ones I meant.... mine are configured to 15 seconds, which I think was the default too.

jed
Apprentice

Post by jed » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:11

Just one query, why would I have to manually backup and restore my settings? This is not very user friendly for anyone, let alone the general users out there which I assume are part of the target market.

It just seems to be an additional step that shouldn't be needed.

Wiz HQ
Site Admin

Post by Wiz HQ » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:25

jed wrote:Just one query, why would I have to manually backup and restore my settings? This is not very user friendly for anyone, let alone the general users out there which I assume are part of the target market.

You raise a good point, maybe head to the bugs and wishlist section and add request that an Auto Setting backup feature is added and we will see what we can do :)
Regards,

Wiz HQ
Forum Admin

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:32

jed wrote:Just one query, why would I have to manually backup and restore my settings? This is not very user friendly for anyone, let alone the general users out there which I assume are part of the target market.

It's a fair question, but the upgrade mechanism for USB upgrades is completely separate from the normal user interface for the T3, so that the part of the system that does backups is inaccessible from the part of the system that does upgrades, and vice versa. That's unlike the DP series, where the main user interface does the upgrades. In the DP series, there was no need for settings backup anyway, because while the settings were stored in its flash (two copies), they were in separate partitions in the flash, and they weren't affected by system upgrades, which went into another flash partition.

It might be possible for the T3 settings to be placed in a separate flash partition from the firmware, which would mean that it might be possible for the firmware to be upgraded without overwriting the settings (or making it optional, anyway), but I'm not sure.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Jun 06, 2014 13:38

It's not needed if you use the online updates. These will update individual packages without deleting your settings or uninstalling any additional plugins.

It's only the USB updates that will completely wipe the flash memory. This is as designed so that the firmware can be completely restored to as-new state.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

JasonBB
Master

Post by JasonBB » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:17

When are the online updates coming online?
Samsung QA75Q75RAWXXY, Beyonwiz U4, Denon AVR-X4300 Amp, xBox One, Control4 automation.
LA32R81BDX & Beyonwiz S1 in the bedroom.

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:34

JasonBB wrote:When are the online updates coming online?
They are already and have been since this last firmware was released.
Cheers
Gully

spectrum
Apprentice

Post by spectrum » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:37

It does still report an error when you try to read the log file of the update, so it's hard to tell what is being updated.

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:50

spectrum wrote:It does still report an error when you try to read the log file of the update, so it's hard to tell what is being updated.
Indeed.
Cheers
Gully

spectrum
Apprentice

Post by spectrum » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:58

Is that expected to be resolved also?

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Jun 14, 2014 13:04

spectrum wrote:Is that expected to be resolved also?
I am sure it will be but not sure when.
Cheers
Gully

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jun 14, 2014 13:05

spectrum wrote:Is that expected to be resolved also?
There's no explicit mention of it in the latest beta release notes, but it may be a server side issue.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Official Firmware Images”