New U4 and T4 updates applied, but after each reboot, U4 and T4 think that there are more updates to install

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Master

New U4 and T4 updates applied, but after each reboot, U4 and T4 think that there are more updates to install

Post by 000 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 23:59

Hello folks.

A new set of software updates seems to be available for the U4 and T4. I was prompted to install them on both my U4 and T4 this evening.

The updates appear to have 62 packages... But I was told that 69 were installed!

After a reboot, the U4 and T4 both went on to say that there were more updates available. In the U4's case, it said 6 packages. But it won't actually install anything more (0 components are installed).

In the T4's case, it say 62 components (but 0 components are installed).

This loop ('an update is available') repeats after each reboot (or whenever a software update check is done), on either the U4 or T4. It won't go away.

So it seems like the updates have been downloaded successfully, and put in place ready for installation, but they just haven't actually "kicked in", and been booted from. The existing (older) components still seem to be the active ones (and not the new version).... But the Bwizs don't seem to allow the new versions to become active.

Any ideas?

Screen shots, as this should help clarify what is happening:

U4 - About page:
U4-about-page.png
U4 - 6 packages to install:
U4-6-components-to-go.png
U4 - 0 packages installed:
U4-0-packages-installed.png
Cheers,
D.
(U4 & V2 Owner, each with a Play TV USB tuner, and a now-retired T4)

peteru
Uber Wizard

Re: New U4 and T4 updates applied, but after each reboot, U4 and T4 think that there are more updates to install

Post by peteru » Sat Feb 03, 2018 00:48

Quickest fix is to install beyonwiz-17.5 20171230 from USB, then apply online update. Do all of that without restoring any settings.

BTW: Are you running IanSav's OverlayHD skin? Have you added his feed to your configuration?

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Master

Re: New U4 and T4 updates applied, but after each reboot, U4 and T4 think that there are more updates to install

Post by 000 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 09:59

Hmm, that seems like an awfully complicated fix. The WAF is already low; more downtime (and time in general spent on the Bwiz) wouldn't be a wise move on my part! Is there another option?

Yes, running IanSav's OverlayHD skin on both the U4 and the T4.

Are you suggesting that perhaps something in OverlayHD is preventing the updates from installing properly?

Cheers,
D.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Feb 03, 2018 16:37

Well, if you want to roll up your sleeves and get under the bonnet, I would start by looking at the opkg configuration. If you have any additional feed sources, get rid of them. If you have switched to beta and then back to production feed, you are out of luck, short of uninstalling most of the system and then reinstalling. Any additional third party feeds have the potential to completely screw the system, replace vital components, create conflicting/unresolvable dependencies or worse.

USB reinstall, followed by online update, followed by backup restore, might also work and is by far the easiest and quickest option.

I don't think OverlayHD would do this (unless it creates some kind of dependency issue), but adding his feed could. In particular using a package to switch to beta feed and then back to production is almost guaranteed to cause issues, at least until production catches up with beta releases.

Blog.

Master

Post by 000 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 18:14

Hi folks.

I went by Ian's instructions here to use the IanSav Feed Server plugin:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=9548

So yes, I'm using Ian's feed. Looks like it's time for sleeve-rolling, and looking at the opkg config.

Thanks for the pointers.

Cheers,
D.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Feb 03, 2018 19:38

000 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 18:14
I'm using Ian's feed
In that case, I'm sorry but I can't help. Maybe IanSav can.

Blog.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Feb 04, 2018 14:32

Hi 000,

My feed server only has access to updates for the feed servers itself, OverlayHD, the SwitchToBetaFeed and an older version of the TV channel picons. If you only accessed the OverlayHD skin then there isn't that much that can go wrong.

While I doubt that my feed server has anything to do with this issue, feel free to remove my feed server and see if anything changes. To remove the feed server plugin go to live TV and press "MENU > Plugins > Remove plugins (RED) > systemplugins > IanSavBeyonwizFeed". When it is removed simply restart the GUI and see what happens. If the problem persists then my feed server was not the issue (you can safely add it back).

If you want assistance in further debugging the issue please report back.

Regards,
Ian.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 16:51

I have IanSav's beta feed installed on the T4. It has installed the online update and is not showing any other updates available.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

Master

Post by 000 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 21:11

Thanks Ian and Paul.

On the U4, I removed the Overlay HD plugin, and rebooted. I removed the IanSav feedb plugin and rebooted.

The U4 then got stuck at the very first Beyonwiz splash screen and wouldn't go any further. The U4 wasn't a happy camper. Had to flash from USB, and reconfigure from scratch...

On the plus side, the updates all installed happily after the fresh USB install...

Cheers,
D.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Feb 04, 2018 22:49

Hi 000,

Are you saying that after the firmware flash you have added my feed server plugin and OverlayHD and the system is working properly?

Regards,
Ian.

Master

Post by 000 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 23:40

Hi Ian.

No, I've only installed the Series2Folder plugin (sorry, I forgot to mention that was installed in my original post), and configured IceTV.

I have not re-installed the IanSav Feed plugin. And I haven't installed the Overlay HD plugin yet.

I've also reconfigured all my standard button defaults (fast-forwarding etc.), and other non-destructive settings.

But I think the cause of my problems is actually the direct local network shares between my T4 and U4... They both (the U4 and T4) needed rebuilding (they both got stuck on the first blue Beyonwiz logos). I was earlier having problems with the U4 taking a long time to boot (listed in another thread, relating to sharing the movie directory of the U4 and the movie directory of the T4).

So I suspect this was the original cause, not the Overlay HD plugin or the IanSav feed.

Yes, I could install the Overlay HD and IanSav feed again, to test out the hypothesis. But the WAF is at about -50 right now (having two Bwiz's down isn't a good thing, especially when they miss "core" shows). So I'm leaving things as-is for now. Thanks again for the pointers.

Cheers,
D.

Return to “Official Firmware Images”