'ondemand' plugin

Moderators: Gully, peteru

swallowtail
Apprentice

'ondemand' plugin

Post by swallowtail » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:44

I installed the ondemand plugin, and the main thing that I wanted it for doesn't work - ABC iView. Is the plugin in active dev, or abandoned?

I see some git work here: https://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-allia ... r/OnDemand

But not sure if that is the same dev stream or not.

Funny, the Beyonwiz T3 box has this picture on it proclaiming 'iptv', with a picture showing lots of different tv pictures... So far I've managed to get YouTube (woot) and Irish catchup TV. :roll: It all seems a little underwhelming right now.

Gully

Re: 'ondemand' plugin

Post by Gully » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:43

You might have wanted to do a search or a view of existing topics first as there are a number of topics already discussing this plugin and the fact it doesn't work.

As to future development of it, you would have to ask the developers of it for that.

For the T3 though there are alternatives. HbbTV is starting to appear (also marketed as Freeview Plus) and that will offer catch up services, etc. The services are still being setup and trialled by the broadcasters so your mileage may vary on any hardware never mind the T3 but iView is either there or coming (sorry with testing beta releases, I have lost track of which firmware includes it :) ).

To try it, look for the HbbTV icon to light up in the infobar and press the Blue button.
Cheers
Gully

swallowtail
Apprentice

Post by swallowtail » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:02

Gully wrote:You might have wanted to do a search or a view of existing topics first as there are a number of topics already discussing this plugin and the fact it doesn't work.

As to future development of it, you would have to ask the developers of it for that.

For the T3 though there are alternatives. HbbTV is starting to appear (also marketed as Freeview Plus) and that will offer catch up services, etc. The services are still being setup and trialled by the broadcasters so your mileage may vary on any hardware never mind the T3 but iView is either there or coming (sorry with testing beta releases, I have lost track of which firmware includes it :) ).

To try it, look for the HbbTV icon to light up in the infobar and press the Blue button.
Thanks.

I did search, and found the topics saying that it was not working for iView. I knew that. None of them answered my question.

I'll see what happens with hbbtv. I had no idea how to activate it - how is one supposed to know that the blue button drives it? So at the moment really the only way to get catchup TV for SBS / ABC on T3 is to try this very beta feature that will add new features admittedly, but doesn't actually yet work fully (a search told me that), when just about every 'smart' device (TV, bluray, tablet, phone, media player, etc) for the last 3 or 4 years has been able to play the way that works?

Just seems a little odd given wording like this on the T3 website:

"...can access content from all around the world through a variety of iptv and streaming plugins." At the moment my 4 year old BluRay player runs rings around the $600 beyonwiz for IPTV, as does just about every other tech device in the house, including the old AC Ryan media player that I am trying to replace with the Beyonwiz.

Please somebody please point out to me what I am missing... :?:

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:06

swallowtail wrote:...

"...can access content from all around the world through a variety of iptv and streaming plugins." ...

For an answer to that question, you'd probably be best off talking to the people who wrote the Web page.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

swallowtail
Apprentice

Post by swallowtail » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:21

prl wrote:

"...can access content from all around the world through a variety of iptv and streaming plugins." ...

For an answer to that question, you'd probably be best off talking to the people who wrote the Web page.
Thanks prl. I assume that would be Beyonwiz, given that text is on this website advertising the product that I bought from this website. As this is a forum on their website also, it seemed like a not unreasonable thing to post here. Feel free to tell me who I should be talking to if I am in the wrong place. :D

Don't get me wrong, I am quite happy to fiddle and play to work out what needs to be done. My question was genuine when I ask 'Please somebody please point out to me what I am missing... :?:' I assume that I must be missing something obvious, or there are other plugins that I should have to get the 'variety of streaming and iptv services'? If the answer is no there aren't, then OK, that raises some interesting questions about advertising techniques and promises, but at least I can stop trying to find something that is not there...

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:39

swallowtail wrote:
prl wrote:

Thanks prl. I assume that would be Beyonwiz, given that text is on this website advertising the product that I bought from this website. As this is a forum on their website also, it seemed like a not unreasonable thing to post here. Feel free to tell me who I should be talking to if I am in the wrong place. :D
I think that the only Beyonwiz employee who posts on the forum is Wiz HQ, and he's the boss. I wasn't trying to discourage you from asking here, but really, a user forum probably isn't the best way to get answers about why the experience you get from the T3 doesn't match their advertising.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

swallowtail
Apprentice

Post by swallowtail » Wed Aug 06, 2014 16:27

OK, thanks Peter. I got the impression that this was where one came for help. :D

I tried the hbbtv, and ABC iView appears to work... although slow! which is a good step. That's probably going off topic for this thread, so will leave this one for now.

oster

Post by oster » Wed Aug 06, 2014 16:42

Peter - this is where Beyonwiz want you to go for help because hosting a support forum is cheaper than staffing a customer service centre but it isn't the same thing.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Aug 06, 2014 16:52

oster wrote:Peter - this is where Beyonwiz want you to go for help because hosting a support forum is cheaper than staffing a customer service centre but it isn't the same thing.
I'm aware of that. I've been aware of it since I first saw a draft of some of the printed material that was to be packaged with the T3.

Still, I think questions about why Beyonwiz appears to not deliver on the advertised capabilities are better posed direct to Beyonwiz. Unless Wiz HQ replies, all the OP will get is people's opinions.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Plugins”