V2 cannot see shared files on my PC

Moderators: Gully, peteru

PStepanas
Apprentice

V2 cannot see shared files on my PC

Post by PStepanas » Tue Jan 16, 2024 17:34

My PC and Beyonwiz are both connected to my modem/router via Ethernet, with fixed IP addresses via DHCP.

My PC can see my Beyonwiz, both as a connected network drive and through the OpenWebif interface, and can both play and download files from it.

My Beyonwiz thinks it can see the public share on my PC, but it can't see any of the files on the PC.

As far as I can tell, I've done everything correctly, including turning off passwords for shares on the network. The Beyonwiz automatically fills in the username for the share as "guest" for some reason. But then, this didn't work when I was giving it legitimate login details for the PC, either.

This has been going on for so long that it's beyond frustrating. And as far as I can tell, Beyonwiz support no longer exists (Zendesk tells me the site is gone).

How can I diagnose and fix this? Please help!!!

raymondjpg
Guru

Re: V2 cannot see shared files on my PC

Post by raymondjpg » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:58

There has been an issue for some time since Windows 10 at least, with BW access to Windows shares.

If I recall correctly you need to set password protected sharing on in Windows, then create a non-administrative local account in Windows with password pretection (I use BW:BW) then use that account when setting up Windows share access on your BW.

If you still have issues with mounting the shares, it may have something to do with SMB settings in Windows, or mount options in BW, in whuch case you may need advice from someone else here better qualified than I to deal with that .
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

IanL-S
Master

Post by IanL-S » Thu Jan 18, 2024 08:51

Your problem could well be the SMB settings - if memory serves me correctly, it must be at least version 2.
Enjoying an active retirement "playing" with my Toppys and now Beyonwiz.
T2, U4 and V2 controlled by IceTV
Various Toppys including TRF-2400, TRF-5300 and TF7100HDPVRt Plus
For help with your Toppy checkout the oztoppy forum and the oztoppy wiki.

PStepanas
Apprentice

Post by PStepanas » Thu Jan 18, 2024 16:52

Thanks, guys.

I'll try those things and report back. :)

PStepanas
Apprentice

Post by PStepanas » Wed Jan 31, 2024 16:11

I managed to get it working, but it's hard to be sure how long it will last.

It seems that I needed to turn ON password protection for sharing under "All Networks," then use the network browser (top option) on the V2, and enter an account and password (for a Standard User account I already had on my PC). I also had to enable network discovery for my "current network" on the PC.

What's confusing me is that something has now turned OFF password protection, yet the V2 is still able to access the Public share. I suspect that's tied to another problem my PC is having, with losing some settings at random -- very different problem.

As for SMB2, yes that's active. The V2 seemed to fill it in automatically, and I guess I'd already installed it under Windows Features, some time ago.

I'm glad to finally get this working!

Thanks to those who responded.

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Thu Feb 01, 2024 07:35

PStepanas wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 16:11
What's confusing me is that something has now turned OFF password protection, yet the V2 is still able to access the Public share.

So is password protected sharing now showing OFF under "All Networks,"?

PStepanas wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 16:11
I'm glad to finally get this working!

If password protected sharing is now showing OFF under "All Networks", are all your PC shares still available to the V2?
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Return to “Networking”