Setting up NAS - Is btrfs ok for recording to NAS?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

mkwilson
Master

Setting up NAS - Is btrfs ok for recording to NAS?

Post by mkwilson » Thu Feb 17, 2022 15:31

I just bought a Synesso DS220+ NAS with 2 x 10TB WD Reds. I'm at the create storage pool / volume / sect file system stage. I have to choose between btrfs and ext4. For general purposes I'd prefer btrfs, but is this going to create more issues if I try to record directly from the V2 to the NAS?

Cheers
Mark

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Setting up NAS - Is btrfs ok for recording to NAS?

Post by MrQuade » Thu Feb 17, 2022 15:49

mkwilson wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 15:31
I just bought a Synesso DS220+ NAS with 2 x 10TB WD Reds. I'm at the create storage pool / volume / sect file system stage. I have to choose between btrfs and ext4. For general purposes I'd prefer btrfs, but is this going to create more issues if I try to record directly from the V2 to the NAS?
Logically, it won't make any difference to the V2, it will see the storage identically either way.

For certain disk operations, ext4 will be faster then btrfs (it is much simpler), but you are unlikely to ever encounter anything like that when moving data to or from a V2.

btrfs is mature enough now to be adopted as the primary file system on several distros now, so the "tried and true" aspect of ext4 is less of a factor in deciding between them.

Go for the shiny newness I reckon.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

mkwilson
Master

Re: Setting up NAS - Is btrfs ok for recording to NAS?

Post by mkwilson » Thu Feb 17, 2022 17:24

MrQuade wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 15:49
mkwilson wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 15:31
Logically, it won't make any difference to the V2, it will see the storage identically either way.

For certain disk operations, ext4 will be faster then btrfs (it is much simpler), but you are unlikely to ever encounter anything like that when moving data to or from a V2.

btrfs is mature enough now to be adopted as the primary file system on several distros now, so the "tried and true" aspect of ext4 is less of a factor in deciding between them.

Go for the shiny newness I reckon.
Ta. Got it up and running. Have set up a mount point on V2, had no problem signing in, but can't yet see the NAS in 'Sources'. I think there's a thread elsewhere discussing various set up issues so I'll check that out for further advice.

UPDATE: Set minimum SMB to 2.0, rebooted and we 'seem' to be cooking with gas.

Return to “Networking”