U4 Ethernet Speed changing randomly?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

NoDeity
Master

U4 Ethernet Speed changing randomly?

Post by NoDeity » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:47

My U4 seems to be randomly changing its Ethernet speed between 10mb/s and 65Mb/s. I regularly upload files from my PC to the U4, and it regularly changes back and forth, well, it seems to prefer the slower speed, but now and then it will jump up to the higher speed. The U4 is supposed to be capable of Gigabit speed, and I'm using a top of the line Asus RT-AX88U Router which is telling me right now that the Ethernet connection is 100Mb/s rather than Gigabit the rest of the ports are reporting Gigabit, I didn't think to see what the LAN said when it is uploading at the higher speed I'm assuming it will change to the Gigabit speed. I tried using different ports from one to eight, and the other ports all show Gigabit, it's only when I swap to the U4 cable that it reverts to 100Mb/s, and I've tried different cables. I have a V2 and it reports Gigabit, unfortunately I prefer the U4, it has more Antenna connections and is in general, less of a PITA to use than the V2. Is it possible that the U4's Ethernet connection is flakey and on the way out? Or is there a connection option in the U4 that I'm missing? BTW the U4 has no problem seeing my network from the box itself.
Wiz V2
65" Samsung
Logitech Harmony Elite
Denon sound system
Duct Tape & Fencing Wire

prl
Wizard God

Re: U4 Ethernet Speed changing randomly?

Post by prl » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:07

Ethernet ports connecting at 100Mb/s when they're expected to connect at 1000Mb/s can be a symptom of a bad connection. 100Mb/s connections use 2 of the 4 pairs in the Ethernet cable, 1000Mb/s connections use all 4.

When this happened to me, the problem was that a wire had come adrift from the keystone in the wall plate for the Ethernet connection, but it could be anywhere on the signal path, including failed line drivers at either end.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:31

NoDeity wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:47
Is it possible that the U4's Ethernet connection is flakey and on the way out?

In OpenWebif's BoxInfo does it show -
"Network Interface: eth0 (Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet)
Link Speed: 100 MBit/s"
http://beyonwizu4/#boxinfo

NoDeity
Master

Post by NoDeity » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:54

In OpenWebif's BoxInfo does it show -
"Network Interface: eth0 (Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet)
Link Speed: 100 MBit/s"
http://beyonwizu4/#boxinfo
[/quote]

No, it shows:
Network Interface: eth0 (Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet)
Link Speed: 1 GBit/s
but the Router is telling me that the port is actually 100Mb/s and will do so on any port. Thanks
Wiz V2
65" Samsung
Logitech Harmony Elite
Denon sound system
Duct Tape & Fencing Wire

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Wed Jan 06, 2021 13:23

NoDeity wrote:
I tried using different ports from one to eight, and the other ports all show Gigabit, it's only when I swap to the U4 cable that it reverts to 100Mb/s, and I've tried different cables.

I'll assume that's different cables between router and wall socket. What about between the U4 and its wall socket?
Only one wall socket each at the U4 end and the router end, or multiple at both?

If you install the V2 at the same location as the U4 and use the same cable and wall port as the U4 is using, what speed does the router now report?

IanL-S
Master

Post by IanL-S » Wed Jan 06, 2021 15:57

Problems with Ethernet cables may well explain what you are seeing. The OpenWebif information may only cover the first link in the chain. In my case I access the U4 located in the loung from my study which is upstairs, there are several links involved: U4 to TP Link 16 port switch, that connects to a TP Link 8 Port switch that connects to my Router, the router connects to a WD Green 5 port witch and then to a Netgear 8 port switch to which my PCs connect. (I have Ethernet to most rooms in the house, with multiple Beyonwiz (3 x T2, U4) and a collection of Toppys (about 8 I think), not to mention 2 TVs, Telstra TV, Foxtel Box, 2 x Apple TV, plus 5 desktop computers.)

I have found that DLink Green switches can have performance issues and need to be regularly rebooted; Before moving to the TP Link 16 port switch I used a DLink 8 port green switch and I had periodic issues, including degraded connection speeds to the U4 and the 4 Toppys in the entertainment cabinent.

Have you checked the settings in your Asus RT-AX88U Router? I have a RT-AX3000 and there are several settings which could be "degrading" performance, either device specific or the QoS settings.

Ian
Enjoying an active retirement "playing" with my Toppys and now Beyonwiz.
T2, U4 and V2 controlled by IceTV
Various Toppys including TRF-2400, TRF-5300 and TF7100HDPVRt Plus
For help with your Toppy checkout the oztoppy forum and the oztoppy wiki.

NoDeity
Master

Post by NoDeity » Wed Jan 06, 2021 15:58

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 13:23
NoDeity wrote:
I tried using different ports from one to eight, and the other ports all show Gigabit, it's only when I swap to the U4 cable that it reverts to 100Mb/s, and I've tried different cables.

I'll assume that's different cables between router and wall socket. What about between the U4 and its wall socket?
Only one wall socket each at the U4 end and the router end, or multiple at both?

If you install the V2 at the same location as the U4 and use the same cable and wall port as the U4 is using, what speed does the router now report?
Yeah sorry, I'm in the process of transferring all the content from the U4 to a USB HDD, and it's gonna take some time 'cos there's a lot. I'll test your suggestion as soon as it's free to go. Thank though :)
Wiz V2
65" Samsung
Logitech Harmony Elite
Denon sound system
Duct Tape & Fencing Wire

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jan 06, 2021 17:26

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
NoDeity wrote:

When I had a similar problem, it was behind the wall plate ;)
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

NoDeity
Master

Post by NoDeity » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:18

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
NoDeity wrote:

Sorry about the time it took to reply. It seems you were right and the cable from the wall socket was, or should I say probably was, the issue. I say probably because I'm still worried the problem will return as it did before, but for now at least, after switching to a new Cat6 cable the problem seems to be solved (touch wood) Thanks for the heads up on that. :)
Wiz V2
65" Samsung
Logitech Harmony Elite
Denon sound system
Duct Tape & Fencing Wire

NoDeity
Master

Post by NoDeity » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:23

IanL-S wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 15:57
Problems with Ethernet cables may well explain what you are seeing. The OpenWebif information may only cover the first link in the chain. In my case I access the U4 located in the loung from my study which is upstairs, there are several links involved: U4 to TP Link 16 port switch, that connects to a TP Link 8 Port switch that connects to my Router, the router connects to a WD Green 5 port witch and then to a Netgear 8 port switch to which my PCs connect. (I have Ethernet to most rooms in the house, with multiple Beyonwiz (3 x T2, U4) and a collection of Toppys (about 8 I think), not to mention 2 TVs, Telstra TV, Foxtel Box, 2 x Apple TV, plus 5 desktop computers.)

I have found that DLink Green switches can have performance issues and need to be regularly rebooted; Before moving to the TP Link 16 port switch I used a DLink 8 port green switch and I had periodic issues, including degraded connection speeds to the U4 and the 4 Toppys in the entertainment cabinent.

Have you checked the settings in your Asus RT-AX88U Router? I have a RT-AX3000 and there are several settings which could be "degrading" performance, either device specific or the QoS settings.

Ian
I'm hoping I've solved the problem with a new cable to the switch for now, it may come back though, and I'll try a different switch if needed then. I'm not a net techie (not even close) what settings do you suggest I check on the router? Thanks :)
Wiz V2
65" Samsung
Logitech Harmony Elite
Denon sound system
Duct Tape & Fencing Wire

IanL-S
Master

Post by IanL-S » Fri Jan 08, 2021 16:06

Like you I am not a net techie, but I would have a look at the Adaptive QoS (Quality of Service) settings in the Asus router. The QoS tab rather than the bandwidth monitor may be the place to look.

IanL-S
Master

Post by IanL-S » Fri Jan 08, 2021 16:38

Had a further look at the Asus router QoS setting, on the first TAB you can drag and drop priority level to individaul devices - for example you could give your U4 highest priority that way. Just click on Highest (ren) and drag to the U4 and it will be given high priority.

Ian

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Jan 08, 2021 16:41

QoS settings in the router won't affect LAN performance in any way.

This problem is definitely a result of a physical fault somewhere. Either patch lead, wall terminations, wall cabling, or a faulty end-device port (switch, router, or Wiz).

Basic elimination/substitution testing can isolate the fault.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Return to “Networking”